PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Washington Bureau Chief Mocks Ann Romney's MS Therapeutic Riding 'Habit'

Gina
07-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Link (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/07/01/usa-today-washington-bureau-chief-mocks-ann-romneys-ms-therapeutic-ri)

You would think after all the negative press MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell got for trashing (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/06/19/lawrence-odonnell-attacks-ann-romney-riding-horses-combat-multiple-sc) Ann Romney's multiple sclerosis therapy of riding horses, media members would have wised up.

Apparently not, for on CNN's State of the Union Sunday, USA Today Washington bureau chief Susan Page referred to Mrs. Romney's remedy as a "very expensive horse riding dressage habit" (video follows with transcript and commentary):

video (http://www.mrctv.org/videos/usa-today-washington-bureau-chief-mocks-ann-romneys-ms-therapeutic-riding-habit)

CANDY CROWLEY, ANCHOR: Susan, in our last minute here, I know you had a big interview with Ann Romney recently.

What would surprise the public about Ann Romney?

SUSAN PAGE, USA TODAY WASHINGTON BUREAU CHIEF: You know, I asked her -- this is going to be in "USA Today" tomorrow -- I asked her if she was going to write a book and she said, yes, she wants to write a book.

And I said, "About the campaign?" She said, no, she wants to write a book about her struggle with multiple sclerosis and with breast cancer and what she's learned about facing challenges of all sorts in doing that. That's really something she says reshaped her sense of self, her priorities. That is what she wants to talk about.

CROWLEY: A lot of talk that Ann Romney is one of his -- one of Mitt Romney's best weapons. Do you agree after that hour interview?

PAGE: I think she comes across as so warm, she is able to kind of warm him up, make him look a little more approachable, but she will also -- she also has this very expensive horse riding dressage habit, which has been a part of her recuperation from MS, but she will be at the Olympics watching her horse perform. I think that's probably a double-edged sword for the Romneys.
Somebody cue MS-sufferer Neil Cavuto of Fox News for it appears another therapeutic dressage basher needs another dressing down. (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/06/20/ms-sufferer-neil-cavuto-these-guys-taking-pot-shots-ann-romneys-ms-th)
The media never learns.

noonwitch
07-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Lawrence O'Donnell mocked it.

This is more of a comment. He wasn't trashing Ann Romney, he just commented on the expense of horseback riding as a treatment for MS.

It's not a cheap hobby, or in this case, it's not a cheap form of medical treatment. "Dressage" is not exactly a middle class pursuit. Horse farming might be, but not "Dressage".

Gina
07-02-2012, 11:26 AM
If someone can afford an expensive medical treatment, more power to them. I wonder why it's anyone's business to mock Ann Romney except for political reasons. So much for families being off-limits.

And before anyone says "oh you posted about Michelle Obama, hypocrite", she was doing something highly offensive to me as a Christian, hypocritical because liberals are the ones who cry about 'separation of church and state'. She puts herself out there for ridicule and disagreement. Ann Romney talking about MS and her struggles in life with her health is NOT the same thing.

fettpett
07-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Lawrence O'Donnell mocked it.

This is more of a comment. He wasn't trashing Ann Romney, he just commented on the expense of horseback riding as a treatment for MS.

It's not a cheap hobby, or in this case, it's not a cheap form of medical treatment. "Dressage" is not exactly a middle class pursuit. Horse farming might be, but not "Dressage".

I would say it's actually a cheaper form of medical treatment for MS than some of the "traditional" ones. The tack may be expensive, but not so far out of the realm that "only the rich can afford it", tack in general is expensive, but not insanely.

http://www.dressageextensions.com/home.html

The most expensive part would be the horse and upkeep for the horse

Rockntractor
07-02-2012, 12:46 PM
I would say it's actually a cheaper form of medical treatment for MS than some of the "traditional" ones. The tack may be expensive, but not so far out of the realm that "only the rich can afford it", tack in general is expensive, but not insanely.

http://www.dressageextensions.com/home.html

The most expensive part would be the horse and upkeep for the horse

I is po simple folk and I has horse.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2

fettpett
07-02-2012, 01:14 PM
I is po simple folk and I has horse.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2

yeah, was kinda my point about the whole thing.

Chuck58
07-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Really, the biggest expense is the horse and its care. Tack isn't cheap anymore, but you buy it once. If you want the cute dressage clothing that's another expense.

We had a couple of horses and sold them a few years ago. Between the rising price of hay, oats, shoeing, shots, etc it got to be too much expense for a couple of hours a day of riding. If you have acreage to graze them, that cuts some of the cost.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for the old saying, "The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man." It's true. Regardless of what any city person who has probably never been on one says, horseback riding is exercise.

*edit* This is from The Multiple Sclerosis Foundation. Maybe these people ought to research before they open their mouths.

http://www.msfocus.org/article-details.aspx?articleID=435

Therapeutic Horseback Riding Helps Rein in MS

By: Judy Heath

It was a very cold, windy day in a barn in Central Florida as a group of 15 people with MS and their care partners bundled up in heavy jackets and gloves, eager to learn about therapeutic horseback riding, also known as hippotherapy.

We had come to the Marion Therapeutic Riding Academy (MTRA) in Ocala, an area noted for its horse farms, for a 10-week course. This opportunity was provided to the members of the Marion County MS Support Group (MCMS) and The Villages MS Support Groups (MSVP) with funding from Teva Neuroscience. It was facilitated by the MSF.

Kate Robbins, director of the therapeutic horseback riding program at MTRA, answered the first question on everyone’s mind that morning: “Why a horse?”

Of Course, a Horse

Both the shape of the horse’s back and the horse’s movements make it ideal for therapy. Sitting on the horse can stretch hip joints and reduce pain and spasticity in leg muscles. The horse’s pelvis moves like a human pelvis – up and down, back and forth and side to side. Therefore, the movement of the horse simulates the way we walk. While riding, the movement of the rider’s hips can increase limberness and muscle tone in the legs.

Riding can also improve coordination, balance, and posture, as well as strengthen core and leg muscles. Learning a new skill can build self esteem, create a sense of well-being, and improve self-control. Another positive element is the social interaction among other riders and between the rider and the horse.

(more at link)