PDA

View Full Version : Do something for our small wild friends.

SarasotaRepub
07-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Translation: I'm an animal hoarder and my house smells like a barn... (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002895369)

Tue Jul 3, 2012, 01:09 AM
MadHound

Do something for our small wild friends.

I'm big into feeding birds(and squirrels as a byproduct), planting gardens that are bird, butterfly and bee friendly, so I've a house that is the center for a lot of critters.

But even if you don't do that, there is one thing that you can do to help our small wild friends during this heat. Put out some water, and change it every day.

We've got two water bowls for the dogs on the back deck, and a bird bath out front. Small animals flock to these sources of water. Birds, squirrels, and raccoons all come for a drink, even the occasional feral cat. These may be the only source of clean water for a mile or more.

So put out some water, and enjoy the treat of having these small, wild visitors. The watering hole is always a great place to watch wildlife.

And if you live out in the country, think about putting in a livestock tank. I've got one in the near pasture for the horses, but deer like to visit too, as do coyotes who sneak in when horses are at the other end of the field.

Pretty fun stuff.

Just a guess...:biggrin-new:

Gina
07-03-2012, 04:45 PM
It sounds to me like pompous bragging. "look at me!!! I give water to animals!!! what do you do?? "

How annoying. :biggrin-new:

Odysseus
07-03-2012, 05:28 PM
It sounds to me like pompous bragging. "look at me!!! I give water to animals!!! what do you do?? "

I feed birds...

...to our cats. :evil-grin:

Retread
07-03-2012, 06:33 PM
I luv aminals ---- fried, baked, broiled, .....

Gina
07-03-2012, 06:35 PM
I luv aminals ---- fried, baked, broiled, .....

Don't forget grilled!

http://www.changthaibistro.com/img/menu/grill/SizzlingBBQBeef.jpg

Bailey
07-03-2012, 08:23 PM
I am going to hate myself in the morning but I agree with that poster, leave a birdbath and some bowels of water out for them. I know these dummies are assholes most of the time but I am not against helping out some wildlife. My dad feeds tree rats and birds so I kind of understand the appeal of helping them out.

Apache
07-03-2012, 11:02 PM
I am going to hate myself in the morning but I agree with that poster, leave a birdbath and some bowels of water out for them. I know these dummies are assholes most of the time but I am not against helping out some wildlife. My dad feeds tree rats and birds so I kind of understand the appeal of helping them out.

You like vultures????:biggrin-new:

Adam Wood
07-03-2012, 11:33 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/o8gu8o.jpg

FDK
07-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Newsflash: Animals have been finding their own water for eons. They don't need some DUmmie supplying them with "clean" water.

(Obviously domesticated pets need to be supplied water though.)

noonwitch
07-05-2012, 09:07 AM

We went two weeks without rain, before Tuesday. I don't see a problem with finding a way to help the critters get water in those conditions. Especially wild critters in the city and older suburbs, where they don't have the same access to natural water that they have in the country.

Rebel Yell
07-05-2012, 10:45 AM

I shoot EVERY squirrel I see that even looks like he may come in my yard.

Wibbins
07-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Coyotes who sneak in ...

As much as liberals hate it when humans consume animals, they blissfully ignore that maybe the coyotes aren't sneaking in for the water, but rather for the deer that show up :evil-grin: