PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had a dog who was a true pacifist?

SarasotaRepub
07-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Don, you're an asshole and your widdle :bounce2: tale is pathetic. (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002900268)

Wed Jul 4, 2012, 08:13 AM
NNN0LHI

Anyone ever had a dog who was a true pacifist?

Found a big dog (German Shepard/Border Collie mix.) sitting on the side of the road a few years ago and I picked her up. She was a 6 month-old puppy then. Weighed about 50 pounds. She weighs a about a hundred now.

Missy is her name and she is my best friend in the world.

She likes and wants to play with every other dog she meets and she has met a lot of them.

I have watched her take many bites. Probably happened ten times over the years. She never has bitten another dog in her life. Not even the ones who bite her. She is not a coward. She doesn't try to avoid or get away from the dogs who have bitten her. She just acts like they hurt her feelings.

When she has taken a bite she just looks at them with a puzzled look on her face. Like she is thinking to the other dog and wondering whats the matter with you? But she has never bitten one back ever.

Is that unique? Or have other people owned dogs like this one?

Don

Two finds from Don this morning! :cool:

Gina
07-04-2012, 10:08 AM
I know there's a lot of dog lovers on CU so I'll try to be delicate.

After awhile, don't dogs begin to act like their owners? Maybe not all, but some? This 'pacifist' dog sounds like his owner might be a weenie like this DUmmie and has taught him to not fight back when someone 'bites'. The thing about him looking like his feelings are hurt.. is it possible that's because the owner isn't even trying to protect him? Isn't 10 bites a bit excessive?

I own a cat so forgive my ignorance. :friendly_wink:

Madisonian
07-04-2012, 10:15 AM
I just call BS on the whole thing.
If the dog is being bitten and not fighting back it is because it is scared shitless to do so for whatever reason.

We have had dozens, maybe hundereds, of dogs over the years and I can only recall a couple that won't bite back whether they are playing, posturing or serious. They were roll over and pee themselves dogs.

My BC, Nisa, and Aussie, Tasha, are 2 of the most mild mannered dogs we have ever had but about every 6 or 8 months one of them gets pissed at the other and they go at it and if we did not break them up, one would be dead, most likely Nisa.

FlaGator
07-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Dogs are not pacifists. That is a choice that dogs are intellectually capable of making. Most dog behavior can be defined as either aggressive, territorial/protective, sedate or neurotic.

Odysseus
07-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Dogs are not pacifists. That is a choice that dogs are intellectually capable of making. Most dog behavior can be defined as either aggressive, territorial/protective, sedate or neurotic.

Agreed. And given that this dog was a rescue, it was probably abused, which makes its pacifism neurotic.

The real pacifist behavior that you see in some dogs is barking from a safe distance, but utter submission when the object of their ire is close up. You see this in leashed lapdogs all of the time, as well as in the human variety of lapdog pacifist. I can't tell you how many pacifists have tried to provoke me in when I was in uniform, but only when they thought that nothing would happen.

Tipsycatlover
07-04-2012, 02:02 PM
I've never heard of a dog acting like that, but I had a cat that was a pure soul. In the entire 20 years of life, Courtney never harmed another living thing. He never chased a bug. Courtney was convinced that no matter what it was, the way to fight was to look at the offending creature intently and it would eventually go away on its own. His system never failed him.

I still miss my little man. Of all God's creatures to make it into Heaven, I know there is a special place for him, the only person, furred, scaled or skinned, that never harmed anything else.

NJCardFan
07-04-2012, 02:04 PM
My cockapoo is a lap dog but I dare anyone to raise a hand at me while he's near. Does this look like a pacifist lap dog to anyone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIpp2xPbfY8

Tipsycatlover
07-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Agreed. And given that this dog was a rescue, it was probably abused, which makes its pacifism neurotic.

The real pacifist behavior that you see in some dogs is barking from a safe distance, but utter submission when the object of their ire is close up. You see this in leashed lapdogs all of the time, as well as in the human variety of lapdog pacifist. I can't tell you how many pacifists have tried to provoke me in when I was in uniform, but only when they thought that nothing would happen.

My dog is a bitch. As a born and raised lapdog, she will bite any dog, any time, for any reason, all 12 pounds of her. As a bitch, dogs, even neutered dogs, recognize it as soon as they get in nose distance. I've seen her put a German Shepard on his belly with a curl of her lip. As he lay there, whineing and yipping you could almost hear him saying "yes Dear".

Bitches RULE.

NJCardFan
07-04-2012, 02:32 PM
My dog is a bitch. As a born and raised lapdog, she will bite any dog, any time, for any reason, all 12 pounds of her. As a bitch, dogs, even neutered dogs, recognize it as soon as they get in nose distance. I've seen her put a German Shepard on his belly with a curl of her lip. As he lay there, whineing and yipping you could almost hear him saying "yes Dear".

Bitches RULE.

My Toby is no bitch. He bows to no one...but my wife and I.

Dan D. Doty
07-04-2012, 02:38 PM
My family once breed and sold German Shepards, so let me explain how dogs act.

Dogs by their nature are pack animals, some dominate ( leaders) , some are submissive ( followers. Dogs displine one another, to correct behaivor.

The dog in the OP has a submissive personality, and when she does something wrong ( in the eyes of the pack), another dog displines her , correcting her behaivor.

Too often we apply human motives to dogs, and its always wrong.

noonwitch
07-05-2012, 09:03 AM
My dog is about as close to a pacifist as I've ever seen in a dog, but even she gets irritated at one of my mom's ankle-biters and will act somewhat threatening towards the little brat dog.

Katie got attacked once by a bigger dog, a pit-bull mix. She fought back, and that dog ended up with a lot more damage because Katie fought smart. She bit the dog in the eye and made sure it landed in the rose bushes, before I pulled the damned thing off her (I'm not scared of most dogs).

Madisonian
07-09-2012, 03:00 PM

Bitches RULE.

Actually, what you could almost hear the GSD saying is "Are you kidding me, you are not even an appetizer. Yes, I'll play your game for a while, but seriously, I'd rather see you as buzzard bait."

ralph wiggum
07-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Think I've shared this before, but probably been a while...so indulge me. :D

My former next-door neighbor in Chicago is a lesbian. Great "older" lady...I'd take a bullet for her, but we didn't live in that kinda neighborhood. :p

Anyway, she had a female mix dog...german shepherd/dingo. The dog hated all men except me. Additionally, the dog was racist. I used to walk her with my beagle, and she wanted to attack any asian/black or any dude in our path. Took her on a walk around 10 pm one night, and she saw a black guy. She probably weighed 80-100 lbs, and I'm 6'2", 200. Dog dragged me to the ground as she pulled so hard to attack him. Guy was an off-duty cop and pulled his gun...not so much on me but the dog. I was able to calm her & my dog down...but I went directly home & needed a stiff drink.

AmPat
07-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Well, Thunder feeds on a steady diet of fruits and nuts carefully selected from choice liberals.