PDA

View Full Version : "Need decent housing?" Why not Occupy!

SarasotaRepub
07-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Say what??? (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002906970)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 09:25 PM
truedelphi

"Need decent housing?" Why not Occupy!

Full text at http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/13037/no_vacancies_squatters_move_in/

Need housing - why not Occupy?

After three years of staying in her sister’s living room, Tene Smith decided to move her family into a home that had sat
vacant on Chicago’s South Side for more than two years.

With the help of Liberate the South Side, a Chicago-based organization that targets vacant homes for re-occupation and after spending months renovating the house, Smith and her three children moved in during a public ceremony attended by community members and the media in January 2012. “I was fearful when I first made this commitment,” she told In These Times, “but as the days passed I had a sense of independence that had eluded me before."
####
I live in a neighborhood (mostly rural) that has forty some homes. Between the main drag and the left turn that takes me to my home, there are eleven houses. Only three, including mine, have been occupied by permanent residents for the past five years. Six are now vacant, due to mortgages deeply underwater and families simply leaving or else due to foreclosure.

It's a shame that the banks aren't seeing to that someone lives in the homes. Should out and out derelicts end up "crashing" in the homes, I worry about fire danger. And then you have things like rodents, unwatered yards with dying vegetation (it doesn't rain at all in the summer in California) and it seems to me that if bankers had insight and self preservation, they'd be doing something about getting empty houses occupied. So I really enjoyed the article above.

Just unbelievable...

Apache
07-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Right, wrong or indifferent... The Left will justify it.....:cold:

Gina
07-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Live on the south side of Chicago? NO THANK YOU.

m00
07-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Hmm, I should go occupy some money from a bank. Hey, it's just a peaceful protest.

Odysseus
07-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Live on the south side of Chicago? NO THANK YOU.

It's the baddest part of town. And if you go down there, you better just beware of a cat named Leroy Brown.

Seriously, if these guys were willing to actually rehab abandoned housing, and do it legally, I'd be all for it, but they won't. The most glaring example of their idea of rehabbing housing was this incident in Brooklyn:

Occupy squatters finally flushed from B’klyn homeBy CANDICE M. GIOVE
Last Updated:7:21 AM, April 29, 2012
Posted:12:50 AM, April 29, 2012

It’s finally un-Occupied.

Police arrested six Occupy Wall Street members squatting inside a Brooklyn home five months after the movement seized the property amid grand promises to “renovate” it and move in “a homeless family.”

Instead, the group moved itself in, wrecked the place, and made a hard situation even worse for a single father who actually owned the East New York home and was trying to save it from foreclosure.

Cops cuffed the occupiers after they allegedly smashed a window to get into 702 Vermont St. on April 1.
Mohammed Olivo, 22, of The Bronx, was charged with resisting arrest and burglary.

Also charged with burglary were: Carlos Goodall, 18, of Valhalla, NY; Mitchell Hundt, 20, of Chicago; Sean Gregg, 18, of Philadelphia; Terrence Hubbard, 23, of Ohio; and East Village resident Decorrus Jones, 25, who has been arrested 31 times for crimes like trespass and petit larceny. “He steals a lot,” cops said of Jones.
Wise Ahadzi, the property’s owner, was thrilled that cops collared the people who were preventing him and two daughters from getting back into their home.

“I’ve been angry since Day One,” Ahadzi said. “I told them that I didn’t want anybody there.”

The bill to fix the damage is at least $12,000, a source said.

“We’re exploring the possibility of assisting him with repairs to the property,” said Bank of America spokesman T.J. Crawford.

Read more:http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/occupy_squatters_finally_flushed_zmkgNbsfeepgQd0II oo2QN#ixzz1zrBYuwuV

These occutards are incapable of real work. They're locusts with opposable thumbs

Gina
07-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Massachusetts man pays off mortgage with pennies
Link (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/06/massachusetts-man-pays-off-mortgage-with-pennies/?test=latestnews)

MILFORD – A Massachusetts man who pledged to make the last mortgage payment on his home with pennies has fulfilled that promise.
After warning his bank, Thomas Daigle in April dropped off about 62,000 pennies weighing 800 pounds in two boxes for the final payment on the Milford home he and his wife, Sandra, bought in 1977.
He tells The Milford Daily News he just wanted to make his last payment "memorable."
He started saving his pennies when he moved in.
The optician says his wife laughed whenever he would pick up a penny he found on the ground and say it was going to the mortgage.
Daigle says he's just glad to have the coins out of his house

noonwitch
07-06-2012, 01:35 PM
If they want to fix up the houses, then perhaps they should go about obtaining the homes legally. In Detroit, you can pick up an abandoned house for a couple of grand, legally, through the city and/or banks.

These are properties that are not making anyone any money the way they are, and are actually costing the owners in upkeep costs. I see it as a win/win-someone who couldn't afford a house in the burbs can get into a house in the city that they can afford and that they can fix up.

Odysseus
07-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Massachusetts man pays off mortgage with pennies
Link (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/06/massachusetts-man-pays-off-mortgage-with-pennies/?test=latestnews)

MILFORD – A Massachusetts man who pledged to make the last mortgage payment on his home with pennies has fulfilled that promise.
After warning his bank, Thomas Daigle in April dropped off about 62,000 pennies weighing 800 pounds in two boxes for the final payment on the Milford home he and his wife, Sandra, bought in 1977.
He tells The Milford Daily News he just wanted to make his last payment "memorable."
He started saving his pennies when he moved in.
The optician says his wife laughed whenever he would pick up a penny he found on the ground and say it was going to the mortgage.
Daigle says he's just glad to have the coins out of his house

Okay, that's just silly. First, the bank didn't try to mess with him, so he's just being a pain for no reason. Also, the value of the pennies as copper is greater than their face value, so he's hurting himself, especially since some pennies have greater value as collectibles.

If they want to fix up the houses, then perhaps they should go about obtaining the homes legally. In Detroit, you can pick up an abandoned house for a couple of grand, legally, through the city and/or banks.

These are properties that are not making anyone any money the way they are, and are actually costing the owners in upkeep costs. I see it as a win/win-someone who couldn't afford a house in the burbs can get into a house in the city that they can afford and that they can fix up.

The operative word is "legally". They won't go through the effort because they are lazy children who expect things to be handed to them on a platter. You saw what happened in the case of the Brooklyn house that they occupied and then destroyed. They have no interest in building anything.