PDA

View Full Version : Fishies GOOD. Oil Rigs BAD!

aerojarod
09-19-2008, 11:30 AM
cyr330 (1000+ posts) Fri Sep-19-08 10:36 AM
Did everybody hear McLame's comments? (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x7118123)
There was a video of him on K. Olberman last night saying how fish just LOVE the oil platforms? He sounded like a blubbering, senile idiot. Even some people in the crowd behind him looked like they were just cringing. I LOVED it!

You know what I love? Google. And actually looking up the facts, idiot.

Drilling for oil offshore has some surprising eco-benefits (http://www.cfact.org/site/view_article.asp?idCategory=5&idarticle=241)

For many, the idea of off-shore oil rigs and environmental protection seem to go together like ... well, literally, oil and water. But if recent findings from the Bayou State of Louisiana are any indication, it may be such anti-oil sentiments which aren?t too factually slick.

This, according to the publication Eco-Logic, which notes that a recent study from LSU found there is an astounding 50 percent more marine life around oil platforms than around surrounding mud bottoms. Indeed, the same study showed that 85 percent of Louisiana?s fishing trips involve fishing around these very waters, which is significant when you consider that Louisiana produces one third of America?s commercial fishing!

LibraryLady
09-19-2008, 11:47 AM
My family lived in Maracaibo, Venezuela for 10 years. When I went down for vacation from college we aways went out fishing on Lake Maracaibo and would anchor hear the platforms. I am too lazy to scan some of my pics but this is taken there. Great fishing. We used eel as bait.(gross)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/maraca.jpg

LogansPapa
09-19-2008, 12:35 PM
http://www.nearfield.com/~dan/sports/bike/beach/hunt/D3825.jpg

Local antidotal fishing evidence: I fish our local rigs once or twice a month - the pilings are covered with massive amounts of shell fish and associated animals. The bass congregate there by the hundreds. All appears quite tranquil and healthy.

The only thing I perceive as contrary to that is how lethargic the fish seem. They have the same response to getting caught that fish gathered from the Long Beach/LA Harbor areas. They kick a couple of times and then just lay there in your hand - waiting for you to take the hook out and release them. Which we always do - because nobody really trusts the meat - unless you’re not a local and don’t know any better. I’ve been told - again antidotal - that their meat has parasites and unlike the fish caught outside our local federal breakwaters - people think there’s something petroleum seapage related - like the ships in the harbor.

Don’t know.

But when we go to Catalina every-other-weekend the same specie of fish seems to explode with a blast of energy when hooked and kicks like Hell when you bring I up. Again, that’s just what I see locally.

BTW folks: The fish like it there because of the smaller bait fish that use the shadow of the oil rig as cover - and the larger fish come to eat the little guys - not because they're happy there.

;)

Gingersnap
09-19-2008, 04:29 PM
BTW folks: The fish like it there because of the smaller bait fish that use the shadow of the oil rig as cover - and the larger fish come to eat the little guys - not because they're happy there.

;)

I'm pretty sure that from a predator-fish perspective, tons of yummy prey fish are what makes a big fish happy.

AmPat
09-20-2008, 03:48 AM
DUmmies just make it too easy. They out themselves every time they speak.

LogansPapa
09-20-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm pretty sure that from a predator-fish perspective, tons of yummy prey fish are what makes a big fish happy.

In as much as the crustaceans absorb on microscopic oil blobs around the rig's pilings and the bait fish feed off the crustaceans and the predacious fish feed off the bait fish, and sometimes, we feed off the predacious fish - this chain may not have such a happy ending.

:cool:

AmPat
09-20-2008, 11:39 AM
In as much as the crustaceans absorb on microscopic oil blobs around the rig's pilings and the bait fish feed off the crustaceans and the predacious fish feed off the bait fish, and sometimes, we feed off the predacious fish - this chain may not have such a happy ending.

:cool:

I haven't eaten a 100+ year old fish as far as I know but I'm certain we have been eating these fish from the very same water for over 100 years.

The only change I see is the collective I.Q. of California has dropped. This probably has more to do with the rise in the moonbat population than consuming fish.

LogansPapa
09-20-2008, 11:56 AM
The only change I see is the collective I.Q. of California has dropped. This probably has more to do with the rise in the moonbat population than consuming fish.

Five species have been taken off the safe to eat list along the Southern California coast, starting with the Tomcod, because of toxin levels. The Tommy is a bottom feeder - eating crabs and mussels. Because you can't directly trace people becoming ill from the meat in locally caught fish - in a week of sampling - doesn't mean you should remain stupid enough to consume them.

Reference the Japanese and mercury for an education.

http://www.nakedauthors.com/uploaded_images/minimata-766177.jpg

lacarnut
09-20-2008, 01:22 PM
I haven't eaten a 100+ year old fish as far as I know but I'm certain we have been eating these fish from the very same water for over 100 years.

The fish that come out of the Gulf of Mexico do not have any of these perceived contaminates like in CA and there is no seepage of oil. The kool-aid is strong on the west coast.

McCain, until recently, has never set foot on an oil rig; same with most of these anti-drilling morons in the Congress and environmentalist. They don't have a clue of the benefits. Their ignorance is overwhelming. They will travel to countries abroad but are too stupid to educate themselves on energy and how safe offshore drilling is. When they do go, insert McCain, they say, wow look at all the fish down there. Pappy Bush and Jr surely did not use the bully pulpit to fight very hard for more energy production.

LogansPapa
09-20-2008, 06:42 PM
The fish that come out of the Gulf of Mexico do not have any of these perceived contaminates like in CA and there is no seepage of oil. The kool-aid is strong on the west coast.

Yep - that's what folks used to say about DDT for about three degades in these waters - until they knew better actualyl found out about "perceived contaminates." Ignorance is truly bliss.

http://epa.gov/region09/waste/sfund/pvshelf/images/ph_donteatfence.jpg

AmPat
09-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Yep - that's what folks used to say about DDT for about three degades in these waters - until they knew better actualyl found out about "perceived contaminates." Ignorance is truly bliss.

http://epa.gov/region09/waste/sfund/pvshelf/images/ph_donteatfence.jpg

Well heck, who would eat anything called a "Croaker" in the first place. How do you garnish it, with Hemlock?:D

aerojarod
09-23-2008, 03:34 PM
http://www.nearfield.com/~dan/sports/bike/beach/hunt/D3825.jpg

Local antidotal fishing evidence: I fish our local rigs once or twice a month - the pilings are covered with massive amounts of shell fish and associated animals. The bass congregate there by the hundreds. All appears quite tranquil and healthy.

The only thing I perceive as contrary to that is how lethargic the fish seem. They have the same response to getting caught that fish gathered from the Long Beach/LA Harbor areas. They kick a couple of times and then just lay there in your hand - waiting for you to take the hook out and release them. Which we always do - because nobody really trusts the meat - unless youíre not a local and donít know any better. Iíve been told - again antidotal - that their meat has parasites and unlike the fish caught outside our local federal breakwaters - people think thereís something petroleum seapage related - like the ships in the harbor.

Donít know.

But when we go to Catalina every-other-weekend the same specie of fish seems to explode with a blast of energy when hooked and kicks like Hell when you bring I up. Again, thatís just what I see locally.

;)

THEM'S SOME GOOD ANTIDOTAL FISH!

The word you are looking for is "Anecdote".

LogansPapa
09-23-2008, 03:38 PM
The word you are looking for is "Anecdote".

Youíre right and that totally invalidates my perspective. My bad.:o

wulfpaw
11-08-2008, 06:07 PM
You should try and keep to the health laws in the scriptures, IMO. No bottom-feeders, filter-feeders, shellfish; No animals that eat meat, no swine etc. The scriptures basically say look to what an animals diet is to see if it's worth eating. Some species were meant as clean-up crews, to clear corpses and filth. Cuts down on the spread of disease, etc. The poisons such animals dealt with all their lives is naturally in with the flesh of such animals, it's best to not take it into your flesh as well. Very detrimental over the long term. As for the oil rigs, I'd say let's go whole-hog with oil rigs. The era of us needing oil for fuel is soon coming to a close. We have vast un-tapped reserves within reach in our own territories. Lets create a branch of the government to in effect become another oil company. They could produce/sell enough oil to offset the coming lack in funds for social security and any future insane social programs that the liberals want to march up the pike, as well. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/499980/acclaim.gif