PDA

View Full Version : Greed

Bailey
07-11-2012, 07:02 AM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014163149

JDPriestly (32,156 posts)
17. A lot of philanthropy is about control.

The philanthropist says, "I'm going to give you money, but you have to use it the way I want you to." Anything to avoid paying taxes because tax money is used for public purposes, that is for purposes that the philanthropist can't dictate or get credit for. Of course, big foundations hire a lot of employees who make the decisions about the details, but the philanthropist determines the direction and gets lots of control and credit for it.

This is from someone who worked to raise money for a homeless project.

Dokkie (1,446 posts)
20. Remember, any cash he gives

away to his so called charity just means less money that will come into the govt as taxes and if he successfully gives it all away before he dies then very little amount he has to pay in estate tax. This is a tax evading scheme and some of us here are supporting it

I love how they think a wealthy mans money should be taxed the shit out of when he dies(i am no fan of Buffett) If the man wants to give every dime away to whatever cause he wants thats his bidness. I find nothing wrong what so ever about having a say on how your money is spent.

Odysseus
07-11-2012, 11:47 AM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014163149

Dokkie (1,446 posts)
20. Remember, any cash he gives

away to his so called charity just means less money that will come into the govt as taxes and if he successfully gives it all away before he dies then very little amount he has to pay in estate tax. This is a tax evading scheme and some of us here are supporting it

I love how they think a wealthy mans money should be taxed the shit out of when he dies(i am no fan of Buffett) If the man wants to give every dime away to whatever cause he wants thats his bidness. I find nothing wrong what so ever about having a say on how your money is spent.

How is it that giving money to a charity instead of to the government constitutes greed? Dokkie doesn't seem to understand that either way, the person giving away the money is giving away the money. They don't get to keep it. Admittedly, giving the money to a charity means that you have a greater measure of control over how it is spent, but it's still being given away.

noonwitch
07-11-2012, 12:01 PM
It must have been difficult to decide which of the many posts on this topic were the most stupid, in order to post them here. There are a lot of stupid responses.

So, philanthropy, according to the DU, is not generosity, it's just a tax shelter? They are bringing a whole new level of idiocy to the internet.

I wonder if any of them would turn down a stranger who handed them a $20 bill? "I'm sorry, but you are just giving me that $20 so you won't have to pay it in taxes".

I'm not even going to get into the whole concept expressed there that only government programs help people, not private charities.

Bailey
07-11-2012, 12:03 PM
That thread epitomizes DU belief that the Govt should take care of us and be given every dollar it needs

noonwitch
07-11-2012, 01:06 PM
That thread epitomizes DU belief that the Govt should take care of us and be given every dollar it needs

This is just something they tell themselves to justify their lack of generosity. Why should they help people themselves if they can get the government to do it for them? They don't see any value in serving others, which is a pretty materialist sentiment coming from people who support the OWS protests.

AmPat
07-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Those collective farms were so successful for the USSR. You know, that government that melted down and doesn't exist any longer. Maybe we should just allow these morons to open their own collectives. We could call it Occupy Farms.

Rockntractor
07-11-2012, 01:29 PM
T We could call it Occupy Farms.

So far the only segment of farming that they have mastered would be the production of manure.

Hubie
07-11-2012, 02:57 PM
A lot of philanthropy is about control.

The philanthropist says, "I'm going to give you money, but you have to use it the way I want you to."

Given people's propensity to misuse money without stipulations attached to it, this is not unreasonable in the least. If philanthropists were banned today from being able to do this, I guarantee they would stop being so philanthropic tomorrow.

Gina
07-12-2012, 02:37 AM
DUmmies calling people who give to charity greedy = pot calling the kettle black.

this is not a racist post