PDA

View Full Version : Eric Holder: Voter ID Laws Are 'Poll Taxes'

SarasotaRepub
07-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Just incredible... (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002926819)

Tue Jul 10, 2012, 03:34 PM
Bozita

Eric Holder: Voter ID Laws Are 'Poll Taxes'

Eric Holder: Voter ID Laws Are 'Poll Taxes'
By RAMIT PLUSHNICK-MASTI and PETE YOST
07/10/12 02:28 PM ET

HOUSTON -- Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday he opposes a new photo ID requirement in Texas elections because it would be harmful to minority voters.

In remarks to the NAACP in Houston, the attorney general said the Justice Department "will not allow political pretexts to disenfranchise American citizens of their most precious right."

Under the law passed in Texas, Holder said that "many of those without IDs would have to travel great distances to get them – and some would struggle to pay for the documents they might need to obtain them."

"We call those poll taxes," Holder added spontaneously, drawing applause as he moved away from the original text of his speech with a reference to a fee used in some Southern states after slavery's abolition to disenfranchise black people.

more...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/10/eric-holder-voter-id-poll-tax_n_1662847.html

What Dipshit Holder said and the DUmmies reaction. Well...maybe not.:rolleyes:

DumbAss Tanker
07-11-2012, 09:45 AM
It's a legally ridiculous argument, provided the State makes some provision for the indigent. If so, then it's a whole lot less like a poll tax than the Obamacare tax penalty is, which he so vigorously defended, which is a tax on citizenship/residency and therefore on eligibility to vote.

Jim54
07-11-2012, 03:03 PM
...You had to present ID to get in and see them bitch about voter ID's.

From the press release:

All media must present government-issued photo I.D. (such as a driver’s license) as well as valid media credentials. Members of the media must RSVP to receive press credentials at http://action.naacp.org/page/s/registration. For security purposes, media check-in and equipment set up must be completed by 7:45 a.m. CDT for an 8:00 a.m. CDT security sweep. Once the security sweep is completed, additional media equipment will NOT be permitted to enter and swept equipment will NOT be permitted to exit.:rolleyes:

m00
07-11-2012, 08:46 PM

What Dipshit Holder said and the DUmmies reaction. Well...maybe not.:rolleyes:

Well, I was reading an article about a guy that was inappropriately on a felon's list (he had never committed a crime). The article was about his 12 year crusade to get that cleaned up, and he had documents and affidavits etc. What happened was the state farmed out cleaning up the voter rolls, and the contract company was overly aggressive (matching first/last names, that sort of thing). The company was like "hey, we provided a list of 'potential people that shouldn't be voting' it was the state's job to follow it up" and the state was like "hey, we just used the list"

Rockntractor
07-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Well, I was reading an article about a guy that was inappropriately on a felon's list (he had never committed a crime). The article was about his 12 year crusade to get that cleaned up, and he had documents and affidavits etc. What happened was the state farmed out cleaning up the voter rolls, and the contract company was overly aggressive (matching first/last names, that sort of thing). The company was like "hey, we provided a list of 'potential people that shouldn't be voting' it was the state's job to follow it up" and the state was like "hey, we just used the list"

I think an innocent man got executed too one time, I read it somewhere.

m00
07-11-2012, 08:57 PM
I think an innocent man got executed too one time, I read it somewhere.

I actually always imagined your personality type (maybe just online persona, who knows) at Nuremberg being like "Why does everyone keep saying they were 'just following orders'? It was clearly the right thing to do. The Wehrmacht newsreel said so."

Because you don't just go along with the wrong thing, you vigorously defend it.

m00
07-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Anyway, I think the reality is the politicians probably need to put all this political grandstanding aside and work on some real reform. Obviously you don't want to disenfranchise legal voters, and at the same time you don't people illegally voting. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that both parties only care about it if their guys are getting disenfranchised and the other guys are illegally voting. If their demographic is illegally voting, they don't care. If the other guy's voters are being disenfranchised, well that's a bonus.

We can't be in a Republic when everyone cares about the outcome, but nobody cares about the process.

JB
07-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Why isn't the minority community outraged by this? Why is it that only a minority Democrat is too fucking stupid to get an ID? At least that's what Democrats tell me.

"This is going to hurt minorities. This is going to do this and that and the other thing to minorities". Why don't these folks stand up and say..."Yo, I know how to get an ID, it's not that hard. As much as you want me to be, I'm not an idiot".

Rockntractor
07-11-2012, 09:21 PM
I actually always imagined your personality type (maybe just online persona, who knows) at Nuremberg being like "Why does everyone keep saying they were 'just following orders'? It was clearly the right thing to do. The Wehrmacht newsreel said so."

Because you don't just go along with the wrong thing, you vigorously defend it.

Your basically backing Holder, the attorney General, the head law enforcement official who also belongs to the party in control, yet some how you have me as a tool of the masters, interesting twist there cheezy!

SarasotaRepub
07-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Why isn't the minority community outraged by this? Why is it that only a minority Democrat is too fucking stupid to get an ID? At least that's what Democrats tell me.

"This is going to hurt minorities. This is going to do this and that and the other thing to minorities". Why don't these folks stand up and say..."Yo, I know how to get an ID, it's not that hard. As much as you want me to be, I'm not an idiot".

JB, come on. You know the BFEE has all the places to get ID hidden so only white folks can find them!!!! Jeeze!!!

m00
07-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Your basically backing Holder, the attorney General, the head law enforcement official who also belongs to the party in control, yet some how you have me as a tool of the masters, interesting twist there cheezy!

Considering you don't even read what I write, I don't know why you responded in the first place. I would say 'please show me where I back holder' but that's not really your style, now is it? I'm merely pointing out that voter disenfranchisement is a real thing, not that Holder has a solution to it (he doesn't), or that I am against ID cards (which I'm not, but we do need to pay close attention to how they get implemented), or that I think ID cards = poll tax (which I don't). I may have said these things in the strawman in your mind, but not on this board. But that's really not something you care about it, now is it?

Rockntractor
07-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Considering you don't even read what I write, I don't know why you responded in the first place. I would say 'please show me where I back holder' but that's not really your style, now is it? I'm merely pointing out that voter disenfranchisement is a real thing, not that Holder has a solution to it (he doesn't), or that I am against ID cards (which I'm not, but we do need to pay close attention to how they get implemented), or that I think ID cards = poll tax (which I don't). I may have said these things in the strawman in your mind, but not on this board. But that's really not something you care about it, now is it?

You always try to play both sides of the argument , both sides are just as bad most every time. The crack of your ass must reach your adams apple from all the time you spend sitting on the fence, it must make it hard to swallow.

m00
07-11-2012, 10:32 PM
You always try to play both sides of the argument , both sides are just as bad most every time. The crack of your ass must reach your adams apple from all the time you spend sitting on the fence, it must make it hard to swallow.

You had that typed up and ready to go before I even posted, didn't you?

Rockntractor
07-11-2012, 10:38 PM
You had that typed up and ready to go before I even posted, didn't you?

No but I'm good that way. http://gfxlovers.com/smilies/imgs/happy/happy022.gif (http://gfxlovers.com/smilies)

I'm not being to mean am I?http://gfxlovers.com/smilies/imgs/confused/confused012.gif (http://gfxlovers.com/smilies)

NJCardFan
07-11-2012, 10:46 PM

No, this is Justin Credible:

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/j/justincredible/12.jpg

But that is par for the course.

m00
07-11-2012, 10:50 PM
No but I'm good that way. http://gfxlovers.com/smilies/imgs/happy/happy022.gif (http://gfxlovers.com/smilies)

I'm not being to mean am I?http://gfxlovers.com/smilies/imgs/confused/confused012.gif (http://gfxlovers.com/smilies)

This whole thing is actually exactly what I'm talking about. You know, my only point here is that voter disenfranchisement is a real thing. And the tragedy is that the real disenfranchisement is not getting addressed (due to the argument being about ID cards, which is not the issue). So it's interesting and quite bizarre that you consider that "sitting on the fence."

Let me ask you a serious question: if there was a law proposed whose only outcome was preventing legitimate Democrat voters from voting (and nothing else - it served no other purpose), would you support this law? Because, you know, Obama must be stopped at all costs.

Rockntractor
07-11-2012, 10:56 PM
This whole thing is actually exactly what I'm talking about. You know, my only point here is that voter disenfranchisement is a real thing. And the tragedy is that the real disenfranchisement is not getting addressed (due to the argument being about ID cards, which is not the issue). So it's interesting and quite bizarre that you consider that "sitting on the fence."

Let me ask you a serious question: if there was a law proposed whose only outcome was preventing legitimate Democrat voters from voting (and nothing else - it served no other purpose), would you support this law? Because, you know, Obama must be stopped at all costs.

You be drinking the koolaid, if your smart enough to wipe your own ass you can get identification to vote.
There is no huge group of sobbing disenfranchised voters out there that cry themselves to sleep every night wishing their vote was counted, their are however illegal aliens and felons willing to break the law and vote for a price.

m00
07-11-2012, 11:01 PM
You be drinking the koolaid, if your smart enough to wipe your own ass you can get identification to vote.
There is no huge group of sobbing disenfranchised voters out there that cry themselves to sleep every night wishing their vote was counted, their are however illegal aliens and felons willing to break the law and vote for a price.

1) you clearly didn't read and/or comprehend what I wrote
2) so... I take you didn't hear about the reports of Black Panthers at the voting stations harassing people in 2008. Cuz I think it was posted about on this board. Just to name one instance off the top of my head.
3) you didnt answer my question

Rockntractor
07-11-2012, 11:05 PM
1) you clearly didn't read and/or comprehend what I wrote
2) so... I take you didn't hear about the reports of Black Panthers at the voting stations harassing people in 2008. Cuz I think it was posted about on this board. Just to name one instance off the top of my head.

By golly he hopped over to our side again, you were shacked up with Holder a bit ago.
You would make a dandy ventriloquist!

m00
07-11-2012, 11:13 PM
By golly he hopped over to our side again, you were shacked up with Holder a bit ago.
You would make a dandy ventriloquist!

You must be illiterate, I'm sorry. There's no other explanation. I'll type slowly.

Voter disenfranchisement is a real thing. It is unfortunate it's become a politicized left-vs-right wedge issue, where the tools of the establishment such as yourself think it only matters when it hurts your party. Notice how you frame this whole thing in "sides" -- as in caring about disenfranchised Republicans puts me on one side, and caring about disenfranchised Democrats puts me on the other. Caring about both puts me on the fence. This is what makes you a useful idiot of the establishment.

Rockntractor
07-11-2012, 11:18 PM
You must be illiterate, I'm sorry. There's no other explanation. I'll type slowly.

Voter disenfranchisement is a real thing. It is unfortunate it's become a politicized left-vs-right wedge issue, where the tools of the establishment such as yourself think it only matters when it hurts your party. Notice how you frame this whole thing in "sides" -- as in caring about disenfranchised Republicans puts me on one side, and caring about disenfranchised Democrats puts me on the other. Caring about both puts me on the fence. This is what makes you a useful idiot of the establishment.

What wait! I'm drawing the connection now, if we ask for proper identification millions of zombies will be unable to vote and the black panthers will stop us from voting, all because of voter ID.
Hmmm, the answer must be in the middle.

m00
07-11-2012, 11:24 PM
What wait! I'm drawing the connection now, if we ask for proper identification millions of zombies will be unable to vote and the black panthers will stop us from voting, all because of voter ID.
Hmmm, the answer must be in the middle.

It's unfortunate you are on a message board with so many adults.

Rockntractor
07-11-2012, 11:29 PM
It's unfortunate you are on a message board with so many adults.

It'll be okay.