PDA

View Full Version : University of Louisiana at Lafayette Offers LGBT Minor

Carol
07-11-2012, 05:17 PM
link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/113717376)

I wonder how much debt students are going to rack up taking these classes, and how much it really is going to help them find jobs.

Its not only going to promote acceptance and tolerance on campus, but its also going to give students who are LGBT, questioning, or just looking for some sort of support the knowledge and comfort of knowing there are people on campus they can turn to if they need something,

It this true academic classroom learning or is it simply "I need someone to affirm me so I feel good" and GLBT activism dressed up as "academic learning"?

William769 (26,569 posts)

University of Louisiana at Lafayette Offers LGBT Minor

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette has announced it will offer a new minor in LGBT studies, making the school the first university in the state to offer an LGBT minor, ULL's student newspaper The Vermillion reports.

Its not only going to promote acceptance and tolerance on campus, but its also going to give students who are LGBT, questioning, or just looking for some sort of support the knowledge and comfort of knowing there are people on campus they can turn to if they need something, Christina Newgebaver, assistant coordinator for the LGBT minor, told The Vermillion. It will hopefully promote educated learning about LGBTs and not promote the stereotypes that are out there.

The LGBT minor became available to students this past spring semester. According to sociology professor DeAnn Kalich, Ph.D., who led the initiative to create the minor, a UL campus-climate survey conducted a few years ago found some aspects of campus life were less LGBT-inclusive than the university might have hoped.

In a survey released to different colleges about inclusiveness of LGBT topics, an unknown department returned a survey form with the words "This is bull----!" written across the front. The survey committee also found prejudices in housing, particularly against transgender students, were predominant at the time.

http://www.advocate.com/society/education/2012/07/11/university-louisiana-lafayette-offers-lgbt-minor

Rockntractor
07-11-2012, 05:47 PM
This should certainly help them to get a job, how many times have you been asked if you have an LGBT degree?

SarasotaRepub
07-11-2012, 05:56 PM
This has to be a trap...:biggrin-new:

http://us6.memecdn.com/its-a-trap_o_491986.jpg

Madisonian
07-11-2012, 06:39 PM
I wonder if classes in oral hygiene are a prerequisite?

DumbAss Tanker
07-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Stupid identity bullshit like this is why college costs have escalated so much faster than inflation, and why students are graduating six figures in the hole with no marketable skills. Unless it stands for 'Louisiana Gator Bait Technician,' there's at least a small market for that.

Hubie
07-11-2012, 07:02 PM
I've heard courses include "Fisting for Fun and Profit," "HIV/AIDS is a Badge of Courage -- Be Proud," and "Buggery 101."

Odysseus
07-11-2012, 08:06 PM
University of Louisiana at Lafayette Offers LGBT Minor

That sounds like the beginning of a joke. What does a major university offer an LGBT minor? A beer and roofies?

Bailey
07-11-2012, 08:08 PM
With this minor you can have a good conversation with a fag and or dyke while asking them if they want fries with their meal.

Odysseus
07-11-2012, 09:38 PM
With this minor you can have a good conversation with a fag and or dyke while asking them if they want fries with their meal.

Wouldn't a LGBT minor find fries to be a sexist bundle of phallic symbols?

JB
07-11-2012, 09:41 PM
What does a major university offer an LGBT minor? A beer and roofies?No future?

m00
07-11-2012, 10:56 PM
link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/113717376)

I wonder how much debt students are going to rack up taking these classes, and how much it really is going to help them find jobs.

It this true academic classroom learning or is it simply "I need someone to affirm me so I feel good" and GLBT activism dressed up as "academic learning"?

It's for people who want to live and work in Hollywood.

noonwitch
07-12-2012, 11:57 AM
It's about as useful as a degree in Women's Studies.

It is a minor, though, not a major. So, conceivably, you could major in psychology or social work, and minor in LGBT studies, if your career goal is to work with the LGBT population as a social worker or psychologist. Or, you could be a pre-law student (English major, right?) who minors in LBGT studies because his goal is to be a lawyer who works with LBGT clients.

I don't have a real problem with the concept, but LGBT and Women's studies should just be lumped into one program: Gender Studies. That way, straight men can be represented in the curriculum. :adoration:

Elspeth
07-12-2012, 12:54 PM
It's about as useful as a degree in Women's Studies.

It is a minor, though, not a major. So, conceivably, you could major in psychology or social work, and minor in LGBT studies, if your career goal is to work with the LGBT population as a social worker or psychologist. Or, you could be a pre-law student (English major, right?) who minors in LBGT studies because his goal is to be a lawyer who works with LBGT clients.

I don't have a real problem with the concept, but LGBT and Women's studies should just be lumped into one program: Gender Studies. That way, straight men can be represented in the curriculum. :adoration:

I don't agree with you about lumping LGBT and Women's studies together. The concerns of straight women are vastly different from those of the LGBT community, especially those of gay men. They cannot be conflated.

Gay men's issues are about being closeted for their sexual practices in the western Christianized world, not about a lack of economic and political equity across historical times and places. Even in the west, gay males have found ways to become economically and vocationally successful. In the US, white gay males could always vote (initially if they owned property like all white males). Women of any color or sexual orientation could not vote before 1920. Economically, women of all colors have suffered from a lack of economic parity across the world, while gay white males now have one of the highest amounts of expendable income. Lesbians are not nearly as economically blessed as their male counterparts.

The issues are not comparable. So, if you're going to have programs like LGBT studies or Women's studies, they need to be separate. I still don't think there should be majors in these things. They only serve to make their graduates unemployable.

Pulpfishin
07-12-2012, 04:25 PM
I would love to come to work for your company sir.

No, I don't know anything about engineering....
No, I don't know anything about manufacturing....
No, I don't know anything about production, management, accounting, finance.....................

I know quite a lot about sucking *$%#@!

FlaGator
07-12-2012, 05:04 PM
This probably qualifies a graduate to be the Presiding Bishop of The Episcopal Organization.