PDA

View Full Version : Romney's speech before the NAACP was intentionally racist ...

SarasotaRepub
07-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooook!!! (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002932565)

Wed Jul 11, 2012, 05:59 PM
kentuck

Romney's speech before the NAACP was intentionally racist ...

Why and how?

He intentionally attacked "Obamacare" expecting boos. He wanted to show his base that he was a "true conservative" and wanted very much to appeal to the Republican voters in the South. This was a Sister Souljah moment for him.

It was divisive and self-serving. He made no attempt to find common ground. He wanted the boos. He was playing to a specific audience. It shows a lot about his character or lack thereof.

:biggrin-new:

Carol
07-11-2012, 07:33 PM
That seems to be the new liberal talking point (lie) about Romney's speach at NAACP.

Here's a similar thread:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002932263

CTyankee (29,209 posts)

So, how will the MSM treat the booing incident of MIttster?

I've got Tweety coming up in a few minutes and I'll gauge by his reaction.

Tomorrow's Morning Joe should be interesting. They tiptoe around the outright racist support that Romney is getting. Maybe they'll get real about this incident and see it for what it is: a bald faced plan to have black people boo him and get traction with the racist voters. They've already found out that the polling shows that people are not saying they'll vote for him because they like him, but because they don't like Obama.

We'll see...

aint_no_life_nowhere (15,406 posts)

4. Martin Bashir played a clip of Romney telling Fox News he went there expecting boos

Bashir suggested it was a specific provocation intended to impress his right wing base. Smerconish and Jealous noted Romney's use of the term "Obamacare" which is a politically charged name for the ACA and that the real audience was not the NAACP members but the Republican base.

Carol
07-11-2012, 07:45 PM
kentuck (62,235 posts)

7. It would be like Obama giving a speech before the Heritage Foundation..

and saying that Ronald Reagan's "voodoo" economics should have a stake driven thru its heart never to rise again. Do you think he would get boo'ed? The only difference being that Romney did it for race reasons, appealing to his base in the South, hoping they will overlook his Mormon religion.

RZM (7,068 posts)

11. I would think Obama would state his positions in front of any audience

Whether or not he was going to get boos.

Not appearing in front of the NAACP would make Romney look even worse. It would leave the impression that he's either afraid to appear in front of a hostile crowd or so dismissive of the NAACP that they aren't worth his time. He pretty much had to go and face the music. He probably would have tried to get out of it if he felt he could. But he apparently didn't think he could.

As it stands now, he appeared, stated his positions, and that was pretty much that. I don't think his opposition to the ACA is any more or less racist today than it was yesterday or will be tomorrow. I see no difference between stating his positions in front of this crowd and stating them in front of any other.

I see where people are coming from with this argument, but I can't say I really buy it. It was just another day for the Romney campaign. The only difference was the audience he spoke to.

kentuck (62,235 posts)

12. He wasn't opposed to the ACA - he was opposed to "Obamacare".

Usually one will show some modicum of respect if invited to speak before any group, friendly or not. There is no need to make inflammatory comments when he could have spoken on numerous topics. It was intentional, I have no doubt. It was disrespectful and racist in its undertone. So the word "Obamacare" is inflammatory and racist??

Spitfire of ATJ (817 posts)

22. I find this very encouraging.

This late in the campaign and he's still trying to win over the GOP Base.

By this time he should be trying to win over Independents.
They are full of delusional thinking.

Retread
07-11-2012, 07:47 PM
So.... :cool: He spoke for an hour and was booed 3 times for his Repub base? Wonder where they were sitting?

Interviews with some audience members showed them to be impressed and they said so.

m00
07-11-2012, 08:24 PM
I read an opinion piece about this on The Root. Romney made a few missteps, but reportedly wasn't that bad.

Starbuck
07-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Obama didn't speak at the event. He sent Biden. Why? There is always a reason these things are handled the way they are. Might not be a very sound reason, but it's out there.

m00
07-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Obama didn't speak at the event. He sent Biden. Why? There is always a reason these things are handled the way they are. Might not be a very sound reason, but it's out there.

He's already got 90% of the black vote. Obama doesn't really care. In fact, speaking at an NAACP rally can only hurt him because it might be seen as divisive to independent voters (like Romney speaking to the Mormon Voting League, or whatever).

Rockntractor
07-11-2012, 09:15 PM

Because it really didn't matter much if Joe totally screwed up, these voters are already in the bag.

Hubie
07-11-2012, 11:07 PM
The tortured logic that makes criticism of Obamacare equal racism is completely beyond my rational mind to comprehend. It's like listening to Charlie Manson at a parole hearing. (With apologies to Mr. Manson for comparing him to DU.)

Gina
07-12-2012, 02:25 AM
Speaking of racism. What if there were an NAAWP? I know who the racists are.

Race shouldn't matter people say. Ok so why have groups like NAACP or CBC .. la raza.. They're divisive. I mean come on.

Bailey
07-12-2012, 06:29 AM
I have to give Romney credit going into such a racist group of people, takes balls to know you will get booed and still deliver the truth to the natives.

noonwitch
07-12-2012, 08:36 AM
It doesn't hurt Romney to go give a speech at the NAACP convention, even if he gets booed at some point. Additionally, if he goes to give a speech at an organization with which he has some differences on politics, should he say things he doesn't mean just to make them like him? They're going to hate him afterwards, when he says the opposite thing on the campaign trail, at least he gets some respect for keeping his message consistent.

Carol
07-12-2012, 09:34 AM
CoffeeCat (18,320 posts)

62. You are absolutely right!!!!!

I think this speech was intentionally racist and it was meant to leverage the vile talking points that are being spewed from talk radio right now.

Omg... It's exactly what they are doing!!! Today Rush Limbaugh said, "This used to be a great country where people strived to be millionaires and they worked hard and tried! Now it's just a place where people want to sit around and wait for their government check!"

Of course Rush is talking about people who need welfare and also those who want their free government healthcare--something for nothing!!!

These racist assholes set up this entire speech to underscore their racist, ignorant lies and statements. If the national news shows a group of angry African Americans who are angry because Romney plans to take away their "free stuff" Republicans can continue to point to this crowd as the perfect example of what us wrong with America. It's totally racist and it's a staged stunt designed to speak at all of the racists in their party.

These bastard liars on talk radio are suggesting that lazy freeloaders love Obamacare, and now they'll use theses images at this speech to show America an illustration of what these freeloaders look like.

And guess who gets lumped in with this group? President Obama. Do you stand with responsible, fiscally conservative Mitt, who just happens to be white? Or duo you stand eith Obama--the candidate for angry freeloading babies who get angry when you take away their free stuff?

See home that works? Listen to talk radio this week. I guarantee you that this will be the meme and that Mitt's NAACP speech will be exploited politically in this evil manner.

Republicans are ridiculous. We're the only Westernized country without national healthcare. The only reason we don't have it is because our cowardly politicians bow down to their corporate masters. When we take a few small steps toward decency and humanity when it comes to healthcare--these scurrilous Republicans would rather go crazy hysterical and act like lying, ridiculous drama queens--than do what is best for the people of this country.

We are the only modern country that lacks healthcare!!! It's an embarrassment!!
Yes isn't that terrible. We're the only modern country that doesn't have the government dictate to it's citizens and it's doctors who gets health care and what health care they are able.........or unable to receive.

Liberals are angry that everyone doesn't have the same level of health care as the wealthy and the union workers. So instead of improving health care for those that do not have good healthcare....they want to pull everyone down to the level of barely adequate/innadequate care so that everyone suffers the same (except of course for the top government workers who will exempt themselves from it....like congress.)

Wibbins
07-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Omg... It's exactly what they are doing!!! Today Rush Limbaugh said, "This used to be a great country where people strived to be millionaires and they worked hard and tried! Now it's just a place where people want to sit around and wait for their government check!"

Of course Rush is talking about people who need welfare and also those who want their free government healthcare--something for nothing!!!

These racist assholes set up this entire speech to underscore their racist, ignorant lies and statements. If the national news shows a group of angry African Americans who are angry because Romney plans to take away their "free stuff" Republicans can continue to point to this crowd as the perfect example of what us wrong with America. It's totally racist and it's a staged stunt designed to speak at all of the racists in their party.

Notice how the racist fool ASSUMES that people that are on welfare are black, or mexican. Isn't is funny how when someone talks about the poor the dems are so quick to point out how racist they are? For example, Gingrich talking about working as a janitor, people tried to play that as racist, because there are ZERO white janitors ever.

If you want to see the real racism, look at detroit, it's been the liberal democrat strong hold for 4-5 decades and is basically post apocalyptic cesspool. Strictest gun control laws, high crime rate, high poverty rate, high welfare expenses, etc.

Hubie
07-12-2012, 11:21 AM
I have to give Romney credit going into such a racist group of people, takes balls to know you will get booed and still deliver the truth to the natives.

"Natives???" You racist bastard!!! :evil-grin:

Unreconstructed Reb
07-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Because it really didn't matter much if Joe totally screwed up, these voters are already in the bag.

That's right. But, I actually liked Romney's honesty on the subject of 0bamacare. He didn't pander to the NAACP by ignoring this issue or being wishy-washy about it. He gave the same speech that he would have given at a Tea Party event. The people in that audience should have respect for that. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have booed him if they disagreed with him but I hope that they give him the due respect that he deserves for coming into 'enemy' territory and voicing his positions in no uncertain terms.

txradioguy
07-12-2012, 01:01 PM
That seems to be the new liberal talking point (lie) about Romney's speach at NAACP.

Here's a similar thread:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002932263

And this is where the sheep are picking it up from:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/07/12/michael-tomasky-on-mitt-romney-the-race-baiter-at-the-naacp.html

So lurkers...let me ask you this if Romney is a race baiter:

What does that make the NAACP members in attendance who gave Mitt a standing ovation after he was finished.?

Oh and another thing you won't hear much on in the MSM...Obama isn't speaking at the convention...he's sending Biden in his place.

At least Romney isn't afraid to go into "enemy" territory so to speak.

FlaGator
07-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Anything a conservative does is intentionally racist in the collective mind of DUers. If Romney disagrees with blacks he is a racist. If he agrees with them then he's a pandering racist.