PDA

View Full Version : Report: 83 percent of doctors have considered quitting over Obamacare

Odysseus
07-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Report: 83 percent of doctors have considered quitting over Obamacare
2:20 PM 07/09/2012

The DPMA, a non-partisan association of doctors and patients, surveyed (http://www.doctorsandpatients.org/resources/85-physician-attitudes-survey-june-2012) a random selection of 699 doctors nationwide. The survey found that the majority have thought about bailing out of their careers over the legislation, which was upheld last month by the Supreme Court.

Eighty-three percent of American physicians have considered leaving their practices over President Barack Obama’s health care reform law, according to a survey released by the Doctor Patient Medical Association.

Even if doctors do not quit their jobs over the ruling, America will face a shortage of at least 90,000 doctors by 2020. The new health care law increases demand for physicians by expanding insurance coverage. This change will exacerbate the current shortage as more Americans live past 65.

By 2025 the shortage will balloon to over 130,000, Len Marquez, the director of government relations at the American Association of Medical Colleges, told The Daily Caller.

“One of our primary concerns is that you’ve got an aging physician workforce and you have these new beneficiaries — these newly insured people — coming through the system,” he said. “There will be strains and there will be physician shortages.”

The DPMA found that many doctors do not believe the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act will lead to better access to medical care for the majority of Americans, co-founder of the DPMA Kathryn Serkes told TheDC.

“Doctors clearly understand what Washington does not — that a piece of paper that says you are ‘covered’ by insurance or ‘enrolled’ in Medicare or Medicaid does not translate to actual medical care when doctors can’t afford to see patients at the lowball payments, and patients have to jump through government and insurance company bureaucratic hoops,” she said.

The American Medical Association, which endorsed Obama’s health care overhaul, was not able to immediately offer comment on the survey. Spokesperson Heather Lasher Todd said it would take time to review the information in the survey.

Janelle Davis of the American Academy of Family Physicians said the AAFP could not provide thoughtful commentary without studying the survey’s findings and methodology.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/09/report-83-percent-of-doctors-have-considered-quitting-over-obamacare/#ixzz20MyozXPs

Other interesting parts of the survey:

KEY FINDINGS

90% say the medical system is on the WRONG TRACK
83% say they are thinking about QUITTING
61% say the system challenges their ETHICS
85% say the patient-physician relationship is in a TAILSPIN
65% say GOVERNMENT INVOLVEMENT is most to blame for current problems
72% say individual insurance mandate will NOT result in improved access care
49% say they will STOP accepting Medicaid patients
74% say they will STOP ACCEPTING Medicare patients, or leave Medicare completely
52% say they would rather treat some Medicaid/Medicare patient for FREE
57% give the AMA a FAILING GRADE representing them
1 out of 3 doctors is HESITANT to voice their opinion
2 out of 3 say they are JUST SQUEAKING BY OR IN THE RED financially
95% say private practice is losing out to CORPORATE MEDICINE
80% say DOCTORS/MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS are most likely to help solve things
70% say REDUCING GOVERNMENT would be single best fix.
http://www.doctorsandpatients.org/resources/85-physician-attitudes-survey-june-2012

Retread
07-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Funny - I just heard that recently. I think it was in my Cardiologists office. The nurses and staff were trying to figure out where their next employment might be. The general trend was toward retail sales.

Hubie
07-11-2012, 11:00 PM
And the other 17% are those who love Obama and his health care legislation. Doesn't that just make you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside? :vomit:

SaintLouieWoman
07-11-2012, 11:44 PM
It's happening already in Florida. My first primary care doc here (didn't like her and switched) just joined a much larger practice. She isn't a young woman, but obviously couldn't keep up financially under the current system. She would never be able to keep afloat under Obamacare. She had a sign outside the receptionist's window saying that she wouldn't mail reports as the cost of postage was too high.

My orthopedist said that he can't keep up with the number of knee and hip surgeries. It seems everyone is trying to get it before Obama lowers the boom and gives us that "free" medical care that isn't really care. I know that's why I had my knee surgery last October. I didn't trust what was coming. Personally, I'm going to get anything and everything that I know needs to be done this year, before the changes hit.

I feel so bad for the docs with all the years of education and training, plus the huge loans of some of the younger ones. Maybe they can go get one of those cushy union jobs. What a shame.

TVDOC
07-12-2012, 11:20 AM
It's happening already in Florida. My first primary care doc here (didn't like her and switched) just joined a much larger practice. She isn't a young woman, but obviously couldn't keep up financially under the current system. She would never be able to keep afloat under Obamacare. She had a sign outside the receptionist's window saying that she wouldn't mail reports as the cost of postage was too high.

My orthopedist said that he can't keep up with the number of knee and hip surgeries. It seems everyone is trying to get it before Obama lowers the boom and gives us that "free" medical care that isn't really care. I know that's why I had my knee surgery last October. I didn't trust what was coming. Personally, I'm going to get anything and everything that I know needs to be done this year, before the changes hit.

I feel so bad for the docs with all the years of education and training, plus the huge loans of some of the younger ones. Maybe they can go get one of those cushy union jobs. What a shame.

Our GP here (who is also a friend, and about our age) told me recently that he netted $40,000 last year after taxes from his practice. Considering eight years in school, and forty years of private practice, that's just a shame, I don't know why he keeps on doing it.

Like you, I'm getting everything I can done before this travesty is fully implemented.

doc