PDA

View Full Version : Angela Merkel intervenes over court ban on circumcision of young boys (in Germany)

Gina
07-14-2012, 02:29 AM
Link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014165527)

alp227 (15,124 posts)

Angela Merkel intervenes over court ban on circumcision of young boys (in Germany)

Last edited Fri Jul 13, 2012, 03:54 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)

Source: The Guardian

Angela Merkel's spokesman has promised Germany's Jewish and Muslim communities they will be free to carry out circumcision on young boys, despite a court ban that has raised concerns about religious freedom.

The government said it would find a way around a ban imposed by a court in Cologne in June as a matter of urgency.

"For everyone in the government it is absolutely clear that we want to have Jewish and Muslim religious life in Germany," said Merkel's spokesman, Steffen Seibert. "Circumcision carried out in a responsible manner must be possible in this country without punishment."

Ruling in the case of a Muslim boy taken to a doctor with bleeding after circumcision, the Cologne regional court said the practice inflicted bodily harm and should not be carried out on young boys but could be practised on older males who gave consent. The ruling applies to the city and surrounding districts.

Read more: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/13/angela-merkel-intervenes-ban-circumcision

Meanwhile, Israel has also condemned the anti circumcision law.

You've really got to be in the mood to read the responses to this OP. The party of baby killers go on and on and ON about child abuse. Sickening hypocrisy never ceases to amaze.

Wibbins
07-14-2012, 10:18 AM
As a staunch Anti-circumcision person, I don't think anyone religious based or otherwise has the Right to force an unnecessary mutilation on to an innocent baby boy. That's basically the equivalent of a sacrifice, and breaks the basic Right to govern over ones own body. We have FGM which includes anything from a ceremonious pin prick, to sewing up the vaginal canal, yet we allow foreskin to be ripped from the glans completely.

The misinformation on circumcision is based on failed studies in africa, where one of the researchers designed the restraining device, and where the scientists forgot to include the recovery time before the cut group was able to have sex.

We need to ban circumcision and ban abortion imo.

Odysseus
07-14-2012, 10:24 AM
As a staunch Anti-circumcision person, I don't think anyone religious based or otherwise has the Right to force an unnecessary mutilation on to an innocent baby boy. That's basically the equivalent of a sacrifice, and breaks the basic Right to govern over ones own body. We have FGM which includes anything from a ceremonious pin prick, to sewing up the vaginal canal, yet we allow foreskin to be ripped from the glans completely.

The misinformation on circumcision is based on failed studies in africa, where one of the researchers designed the restraining device, and where the scientists forgot to include the recovery time before the cut group was able to have sex.

In Judaism, the circumcision is done with the baby is eight days old, so there's no memory of the trauma, and I'm glad to have had it done. OTOH, I couldn't walk for a year afterward...

Gina
07-14-2012, 10:44 AM
In Judaism, the circumcision is done with the baby is eight days old, so there's no memory of the trauma, and I'm glad to have had it done. OTOH, I couldn't walk for a year afterward...

My son was 1 day old. I understand why people don't want it done, but to compare it to female mutilation seems a stretch. As far as I know, in Africa they do it so the women won't cheat on their husbands and it takes the pleasure out of sex. That's not so for males. (At least that's what I've heard. :adoration:)

Hubie
07-14-2012, 05:03 PM
OTOH, I couldn't walk for a year afterward...

ROFLMAO!!!! That was completely unexpected comedy gold, my friend. Well done!

Hubie
07-14-2012, 05:09 PM

I'm curious... Why don't we hear such talk from the medical community? Sure, there are a few doctors here and there who oppose circumcision, but the overwhelming majority don't have a problem with it. Why is it judges with no medical knowledge who are deciding this issue? If a medical procedure is truly harmful, then the decision to end its practice should be made by the medical community.

Odysseus
07-14-2012, 10:53 PM
My son was 1 day old. I understand why people don't want it done, but to compare it to female mutilation seems a stretch. As far as I know, in Africa they do it so the women won't cheat on their husbands and it takes the pleasure out of sex. That's not so for males. (At least that's what I've heard. :adoration:)

Let's just say that slicing the tip of a Hebrew National salami doesn't interfere with how it cuts the mustard. :friendly_wink:

ROFLMAO!!!! That was completely unexpected comedy gold, my friend. Well done!

Thanks. If there's one thing that I got out of a lifetime in Judiaism, it's a plethora of circumcision jokes. It's a major part of our culture, and a symbol of hope for the future (who else cuts off the tip before you know how big it's going to get?).

BTW, when we get circumcised, the ceremony is preceded by the mohel putting a few drops of wine in the baby's mouth, as a sort of general anesthetic. I suspect that this is why there is such a low incidence of alcoholism among Jewish men. :smile-new:

Gina
07-14-2012, 11:14 PM
BTW, when we get circumcised, the ceremony is preceded by the mohel putting a few drops of wine in the baby's mouth, as a sort of general anesthetic. I suspect that this is why there is such a low incidence of alcoholism among Jewish men. :smile-new:

I've had a couple Jewish friends, and my view (keep in mind I'm half German) is it's hard to tell if they're drunk or just weird. :biggrin-new:

noonwitch
07-16-2012, 08:35 AM
I have a friend who didn't get his boys circumcized, because of some hostility he had at his parents for having done so to him. His kids turned out okay. They probably got teased in the locker room in high school, but there are always women who will find that interesting, at least.

My mom's a nurse. She said the jews are right about a lot of things, and circumcision is one of them. She believes it prevents a lot of future health problems.

I think it's up to parents to decide what they want for their kids. The German government is out of line here, and it kind of makes me think of a scene from that Winds of War miniseries, where the Nazis think they can separate jewish americans from other americans by whether the men are circumcized or not.