PDA

View Full Version : Clearwater poised to institute more laws that target the homeless

SarasotaRepub
07-15-2012, 06:47 PM
And people said Sarasota was mean... (http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/article1240252.ece):friendly_wink:

By Drew Harwell, Times Staff Writer
Drew Harwell (http://www.tampabay.com/writers/drew-harwell)Tampa Bay Times In Print: Saturday, July 14, 2012

CLEARWATER This city could soon outlaw a harrowing crime: sitting.

Sitting or lying down on sidewalks or other public rights of way on Clearwater Beach, downtown or in the East Gateway neighborhood could mean a $500 fine, 60 days in jail or both.

The sitting ban is among a flurry of new ordinances the City Council will consider Monday as part of its crackdown on homeless people.

The council also could drop the hammer on sleeping outside, panhandling and bathing in public sinks. Like public sitting, each crime would be an arrestable offense.

Just prep work for the GOP Convention...MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

FlaGator
07-15-2012, 07:10 PM
And people said Sarasota was mean... (http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/article1240252.ece):friendly_wink:

Just prep work for the GOP Convention...MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

The southern home of Scientology...

SarasotaRepub
07-15-2012, 07:18 PM
That too!!!!!:woot::thumbsup:

m00
07-16-2012, 12:03 AM
arresting people for sitting? really? is this really a free country anymore?

Rockntractor
07-16-2012, 12:26 AM
arresting people for sitting? really? is this really a free country anymore?

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/138437-ernie_facepalm_by_ridinrail_.jpg

noonwitch
07-16-2012, 11:58 AM
When we had the Super Bowl and All Star Games in Detroit, the city cleared out all the homeless and sent them to shelters in Pontiac.

A group representing the homeless complained because by being shipped so far out of Detroit, the homeless were being deprived of the money they could make while begging during events in which the city was flooded with visitors of means.

m00
07-16-2012, 12:06 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/138437-ernie_facepalm_by_ridinrail_.jpg

Well, I know YOU don't support freedom. You're one of those big government Republicans. Just sayin'

NJCardFan
07-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Well, I know YOU don't support freedom. You're one of those big government Republicans. Just sayin'

I was going to agree with you but you don't see a problem with people sitting on sidewalks? For starters, it's ghetto and secondly, it's a hazard. Sit on a bench if you're going to sit.

Wei Wu Wei
07-16-2012, 03:13 PM
I was going to agree with you but you don't see a problem with people sitting on sidewalks? For starters, it's ghetto and secondly, it's a hazard. Sit on a bench if you're going to sit.

So you're in favor of Big Government Regulation when it involves safety?

Apache
07-16-2012, 03:21 PM
So you're in favor of Big Government Regulation when it involves safety?

Knock it off twit. It's because of your side that we now have this homeless problem...

Learn a little about the subject before you comment

Wibbins
07-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Like I understand homeless people causing problems, but what if someone is like waiting for a bus and they give their seat up for an elderly person, or what if they're tourists and they sit in the shade to look at the map does this apply to that as well?

Wei Wu Wei
07-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Knock it off twit. It's because of your side that we now have this homeless problem...

Regardless of who is to blame, let's say it's the left or the right or the red or the blue or the green or the purple or whatever you like.

You agree that the solution to the problem is more big government regulations?

Rockntractor
07-16-2012, 04:27 PM

Should people be able to park their cars in the middle of the street and block traffic?

Odysseus
07-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Regardless of who is to blame, let's say it's the left or the right or the red or the blue or the green or the purple or whatever you like.

You agree that the solution to the problem is more big government regulations?

Once again, you demonstrate that you cannot tell the difference between laws that protect life, limb and property, and regulations that crush economic activity. Blocking a sidewalk and panhandling are nuisance behaviors that impose costs on the people who live or work around them. Vagrancy used to be a crime. Now, thanks to the left, it's a "lifestyle choice." Meanwhile, the lifestyles of those who pay for the social services that they suck down find ourselves harassed whenever we leave our homes, assailed by noxious odors and human refuse, driven from public spaces that used to be parks, but have become criminal enclaves. Laws that regulate and mitigate the conduct of the homeless protect the rights of everyone else. The laws that you favor, which penalize people for hard work, thrift, taking risks and achieving results, attack the rights of everyone.

Wei Wu Wei
07-17-2012, 05:25 AM
Once again, you demonstrate that you cannot tell the difference between laws that protect life, limb and property, and regulations that crush economic activity. Blocking a sidewalk and panhandling are nuisance behaviors that impose costs on the people who live or work around them. Vagrancy used to be a crime. Now, thanks to the left, it's a "lifestyle choice." Meanwhile, the lifestyles of those who pay for the social services that they suck down find ourselves harassed whenever we leave our homes, assailed by noxious odors and human refuse, driven from public spaces that used to be parks, but have become criminal enclaves. Laws that regulate and mitigate the conduct of the homeless protect the rights of everyone else. The laws that you favor, which penalize people for hard work, thrift, taking risks and achieving results, attack the rights of everyone.

Do you're in favor of big government regulation when it addresses something you don't like?

Bailey
07-17-2012, 06:17 AM
Do you're in favor of big government regulation when it addresses something you don't like?

I think he summed up his view rather well, so why bother asking that dumb question?

m00
07-17-2012, 10:36 AM

Depends. It can be a hazard, or it cannot depending on where you sit and the circumstances. But my immediate reaction was using law as a very big hammer to solve a very narrow problem. If you want to ban pan-handling or vagrancy or obstructing foot traffic, ban those. But this is kind of like banning the use of cardboard, because pan-handlers have cardboard signs.

m00
07-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Should people be able to park their cars in the middle of the street and block traffic?

Difference is with roads you need a license to drive on them, and in general part of "using roadways" is agreeing to abide by all rules and signs (no matter how dumb or arbitrary). If you don't like it, don't drive. And there are plenty of options for people who don't -- public transportation, taxies, etc.

"Being a pedestrian" is what everybody is, by default.

Rockntractor
07-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Difference is with roads you need a license to drive on them, and in general part of "using roadways" is agreeing to abide by all rules and signs (no matter how dumb or arbitrary). If you don't like it, don't drive. And there are plenty of options for people who don't -- public transportation, taxies, etc.

"Being a pedestrian" is what everybody is, by default.
Apparently then if it doesn't require a license anything goes.

Gina
07-17-2012, 01:13 PM
No victim, no law. If I trip over some yayhoo sitting on the sidewalk and break my arm, who should pay for that? I would be the victim in that scenario so ya there should be a law against being in the way where you don't belong. Not death by electric chair but endangerment or some such. That's not big government, that's common sense.

noonwitch
07-17-2012, 04:20 PM
There really is no good way to address the problem with homeless people, especially in Florida, where they can live outside year round without freezing to death. The things we all do in our homes and bathrooms, well, they have to do in public. We no longer have state hospitals to care for those who are homeless and have serious mental health issues.

Around here, and I presume the same is true in Clearwater, we do have religious and church groups that work with the homeless, but there is only so much they can do for people who don't want to stay in shelters.

SaintLouieWoman
07-17-2012, 04:34 PM
There really is no good way to address the problem with homeless people, especially in Florida, where they can live outside year round without freezing to death. The things we all do in our homes and bathrooms, well, they have to do in public. We no longer have state hospitals to care for those who are homeless and have serious mental health issues.

Around here, and I presume the same is true in Clearwater, we do have religious and church groups that work with the homeless, but there is only so much they can do for people who don't want to stay in shelters.
You're exactly right. Many of the homeless here in Sarasota don't want to go to shelters. The churches try to accomodate them. There's a church not too far from our home that does let the homeless live in the church building. But we had a camp of the homeless living on the other side of the wall surrounding our development. There's a creek running across the street and lots of open land belonging to a nearby nursing home facility. It's like a park. The cops do nothing to chase them out. We started putting up signs on our bulletin boards at each end of the development saying we're organizing a neighborhood watch. I think that they must have read the messages, because we haven't had the number of breakins that we had before.