Johnson meets Thieu in Honolulu, 1968
World War I
Allies begin major counter-offensive in Second Battle of the Marne, 1918
World War II
Mein Kampf is published, 1925

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history

Starbuck
07-18-2012, 01:38 PM
The story of Rome's fire is one of my pet peeves.

Famously, nearly everyone believes that Nero fiddled while Rome burned, while history clearly shows he did no such thing.

In the first place Nero was not in Rome when the fire started. He was off elsewhere and rushed back to help. And he did help. Several people were saved or assisted and did not realize their assistant was the Emperor Nero until after the fact.

And in the second place the violin, or fiddle, had not been invented yet. It was not invented until about 1550, whereas the Roman conflagration occurred in 64 AD. So there.

I have no idea why, but you cannot stop a rumor with a fact. Nero will always fiddle while Rome burns, George Washington will always have wooden teeth, and FDR will always be a great President.
Makes me crazy.:blue:

Retread
07-18-2012, 07:39 PM
1916 - Horace S. Carswell, Jr. was born in Fort Worth, TX. In 1946 he was awarded a Medal of Honor for giving "his life...to save all members of his crew" and for "sacrifice far beyond that required of him" on October 26, 1944. In 1946 Fort Worth Army Airfield was renamed Carswell Air Force Base.

1917 - Camp Bowie was established near present-day downtown Fort Worth. It was named for the Alamo hero Jim Bowie, the camp served as an army base in WWI.

1918 - Daniel R. Edwards from Mooresville, TX, earned a Medal of Honor. After undergoing treatment for had wounds including a shattered arm he crawled alone into an enemy trench. In the trench he killed four, took for prisoners and suffered a shattered leg from an enemy shell.

1919 - In Longview, martial law was lifted. Governor William Hobby had imposed martial law on July 11 after a series of events lead him to order Texas Rangers and National Guard troops to the area.

1936 - The Fort Worth Frontier Centennial Exposition opened. It closed on November 14.

1988 - In Atlanta, GA, Texas Treasurer Ann Richards delivered the keynote address at the Democratic National Convention.

----------------------------------------

And more of history's lies:
Lincoln the great emancipator
The war between the states was about slavery
War was the only way to end slavery
etc.