PDA

View Full Version : RIP Sally Ride

Hubie
07-23-2012, 10:20 PM
The U.S. lost a hero and an icon today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18963939

Sally Ride, the first US woman to travel into space, has died aged 61, 17 months after she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, her foundation says.

"Sally's historic flight into space captured the nation's imagination and made her a household name," Sally Ride Science said in a statement.

She blasted off in the US space shuttle Challenger in June 1983.

Yes, she endorsed Obama in 2008 and she had a lesbian relationship that likely caused the divorce from her husband in 1987, but these are things which ultimately will be forgotten.

SaintLouieWoman
07-24-2012, 12:38 AM
The U.S. lost a hero and an icon today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18963939

Yes, she endorsed Obama in 2008 and she had a lesbian relationship that likely caused the divorce from her husband in 1987, but these are things which ultimately will be forgotten.

Probably isn't the best time to drag up the dirt from her life.

RIP, she's a true heroine and indeed an icon. That pancreatic cancer is a horrible disease. We lost a family member to it last year. 61 is way too young.

linda22003
07-24-2012, 08:24 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting her on several occasions due to my job. A very intelligent, unassuming person.
I don't know that I would describe 27 years with someone as "dirt in her life", though. :blue:

Bailey
07-24-2012, 08:35 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting her on several occasions due to my job. A very intelligent, unassuming person.
I don't know that I would describe 27 years with someone as "dirt in her life", though. :blue:

No but her lifestyle choice is...

RIP

linda22003
07-24-2012, 08:39 AM
No but her lifestyle choice is...

Just assume she's burning in hell, then. That should cheer you up. :smile-new:

JB
07-24-2012, 08:42 AM
I don't know that I would describe 27 years with someone as "dirt in her life", though. :blue:I don't see where anyone did describe it that way.

Perhaps "the dirt" was the adultery that led to her divorce.

noonwitch
07-24-2012, 08:53 AM
And to think I didn't even know anything about her sexual orientation until I read it here this morning.

RIP, it's sad. Pancreatic cancer is painful, someone I know from work died from it.

Bailey
07-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Just assume she's burning in hell, then. That should cheer you up. :smile-new:

No I feel sad for her...but that was her choice

linda22003
07-24-2012, 08:56 AM
I don't see where anyone did describe it that way. Perhaps "the dirt" was the adultery that led to her divorce.

It appeared in a post I responded to. Who knows if she felt pressured to marry and appear "normal" - it often happened, and hopefully doesn't have to happen anymore. I would hope that there's a lot more to focus on in Sally Ride's life than this detail; she accomplished quite a lot.

Bailey
07-24-2012, 09:01 AM
It appeared in a post I responded to. Who knows if she felt pressured to marry and appear "normal" - it often happened, and hopefully doesn't have to happen anymore. I would hope that there's a lot more to focus on in Sally Ride's life than this detail; she accomplished quite a lot.

I think the good and the bad of ones life should be seen, not just the good.

JB
07-24-2012, 09:08 AM
It appeared in a post I responded to.No, it didn't. You just interpreted it that way.

You also ended that sentence with a preposition.

Hubie
07-24-2012, 09:54 AM

What's wrong with that in? I think all sentences should be ended with prepositions of. Then people might stop complaining about it into. :evil-grin:

Starbuck
07-24-2012, 11:57 AM
....You also ended that sentence with a preposition.

And that is something up with which I will not put!...........Winston Churchill:biggrin-new:

linda22003
07-24-2012, 12:29 PM
No, it didn't. You just interpreted it that way.

"Probably isn't the best time to drag up the dirt from her life." That's the exact sentence I responded to; it's not a matter of interpretation. As to the preposition, see what can happen when I'm challenged on something like this, that's self-evident? Grammatical chaos. :biggrin-new:

Generation Why?
07-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Sally Ride did some pretty cool stuff. Hell I wish I could go to space. Sad to hear of someone having to go via pancreatic cancer. And I did not know she was a lesbian, since it was discussed in some posts earlier. Nor do I care that she was a lesbian.

SaintLouieWoman
07-24-2012, 01:33 PM
I don't see where anyone did describe it that way.

Perhaps "the dirt" was the adultery that led to her divorce.

Sorry, didn't mean it as "dirt", should have been more specific. I meant no one needed to bring up what might be perceived by some as negatives in her life. I never appreciated when Reagan and Nixon died, when the DUmbies were celebrating it and doing that grave dance.

Gina
07-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Sorry, didn't mean it as "dirt", should have been more specific. I meant no one needed to bring up what might be perceived by some as negatives in her life. I never appreciated when Reagan and Nixon died, when the DUmbies were celebrating it and doing that grave dance.

Hear hear.

RIP Sally.

linda22003
07-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Sorry, didn't mean it as "dirt", should have been more specific. I meant no one needed to bring up what might be perceived by some as negatives in her life.

That makes more sense! :) I think like most people, I didn't know (or care) about that aspect of her life until it was reported in her obits. It's not the first and foremost thing we need to know about someone.