PDA

View Full Version : Patriotic Man Loses 200 Pounds So He Can Join the Army

Gina
07-24-2012, 11:57 PM
Link (http://thestir.cafemom.com/healthy_living/140823/patriotic_man_loses_200_pounds?utm_medium=sm&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=military_fanpage)

One young man used patriotism to battle his bulge. When his 405-pound girth prevented J. Roundtree from joining the Army, he lost half his body weight to become fit enough to enlist.

"Always in my head going into the Army was an option because my mom was in the Army, my dad was in the Army, my sister was in the Army," he told ABC 6. Though after years of eating fast food and doing little exercise, the 21-year-old was morbidly obese.

Determined to serve his country, he went on a strict 1,500-calorie-a-day diet and started exercising using P90X workout videos, jogging, swimming, and playing basketball. That was a big switch from the times he ate 10,000 calories of junk food in one day.

He admits, it isn't always easy. "There's going to be days where you're like, 'Oh I don't want to do it', but you gotta keep doing it," he told ABC 6. Down to 205 pounds, he knows the ends justify the sacrifice. Now enlisted, Roundtree begin basic training at Ft. Benning in Georgia in November.

"I never would have imagined that he would do that, but when J. sets his mind to something, don't tell him he can't do it because he'll prove you wrong," said his mother Diane with tears in her eyes. "When I see him in his military uniform, that's going to tear me up, I mean, I will be the happiest mother in the world." Sweet and inspiring don't you think?
I hope he makes it. :smile-new:

Bondai
07-25-2012, 12:43 AM
Wow...good for him. No matter what happens he is a winner.

Starbuck
07-25-2012, 09:53 AM
I saw this kid interviewed. He has been selected as a Special Forces candidate, which is quite a few steps away from The Beret.
If I was on a 1500 calorie/day diet, on day 2 there would be a serious ass-whuppin' if someone got ahead of me at McDonalds.

He did it! From what I saw he is a very solid 205 pounds.

Wibbins
07-25-2012, 10:57 AM
I saw this kid interviewed. He has been selected as a Special Forces candidate, which is quite a few steps away from The Beret.
If I was on a 1500 calorie/day diet, on day 2 there would be a serious ass-whuppin' if someone got ahead of me at McDonalds.

He did it! From what I saw he is a very solid 205 pounds.

My friend has lost over 120 lbs so he can join the Army, he used to be over 300 lbs because the steroids he had to take for the lazy eye that's fixed now.

I've lost around 70 lbs myself, not for the army since I'm Dq'd because of my A.D.D medication. I usually eat around 1700 calories and only drink water, I've been eating like this since Jan last year lol.

I think the main thing is that I moved out for about 6 months with friends, I needed to know if I could do it before I moved out for real, and basically lived on McDonalds. At Thanksgiving with my then-gf, fiancee now :biggrin-new:, I was just tired, I just sat on the chair and stared at the t.v it was really sad.

But all that's behind me now, and I won't DARE let myself get that overweight again. I haven't weighed 170 since I was in 6th-7th grade, but I do now a lot of people say I should gain some of it back because I'm 6'1", but Idk about that :cold:

Novaheart
07-25-2012, 11:05 AM
I just got back from Louisiana. It's a wonder the entire state isn't on dialysis. There is a place in Nacogdoches called "French Market Express" that has the best stuff: fried fish, really good hush puppies, Boudin balls (a heart attack waiting to happen), slick dumplings, meat pies, yam cake .... and that's just what I bought for breakfast. If I lived in Nacogdoches I would weight 600 pounds......... and a week before I was eating dim sum on Clement Street in San Francisco. Now I am back to my alfalfa sprout sandwiches and apples.

Eupher
07-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Kudos to that young man for his persistence and self-discipline. He'll do well in uniform. :applause:

jediab
07-25-2012, 11:42 AM
If that kid lost that much weight doing P90X, he should find the rigors of basic training a breeze.

Good luck to the lad! :Flag2:

noonwitch
07-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Good for the kid.

I don't want to take away from his patriotism or his weight loss success, but the mental image in my mind is of John Candy in Stripes, wanting to be a "lean, mean, fighting machine".

jediab
07-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Good for the kid.

I don't want to take away from his patriotism or his weight loss success, but the mental image in my mind is of John Candy in Stripes, wanting to be a "lean, mean, fighting machine".

Hey he was able to knock that big steel door down in the prison. :biggrin-new: