PDA

View Full Version : Squawking Over Chick-fil-A

FlaGator
07-26-2012, 10:12 AM
We live in a world where every aspect of it is becoming politicized. Generally don't care if I eat a some please that is supports liberal causes or go to see movies that with actors who have political views that I agree with.

Life used to be a lot simpler. When you were hungry or needed to buy some pens, you simply bought a sandwich at a deli or went to the stationery store. The notion that where you ate or bought pens might be a politically significant act didn't cross your mind.

Unfortunately, that's no longer the case.

This fact of life is illustrated by two recent stories. The first is a partnership between Office Depot and Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" foundation. Proceeds from the sale of certain items including "Kindness Sticks," "Bravery Bracelets," and "empowerment" gift cards with slogans such as "Be Brave," and "Be Yourself," will go to support the foundation's mission.

That stated mission is "to foster a more accepting society, where differences are embraced and individuality is celebrated." Which is really another way of saying that the mission is to actually promote homosexuality (http://www.christianpost.com/topics/homosexuality/) as a positive, healthy lifestyle.

The second story involved a very different kind of company: Chick-fil-A. The company's president, Dan Cathy, ignited what CNN dubbed a "social [media] storm" when he pleaded "guilty as charged" to being characterized as supportive of the traditional family.

Do I need to tell you what happened next? The company, which openly espouses biblical values, was called "hatemongers." Hollywood, not surprisingly, got in on the act. Ed Helms of "The Office" joined those calling for a boycott. And now the mayor of Boston has vowed to keep Chick-fil-A out of his city.

Whole story is here (http://http://www.christianpost.com/news/squawking-over-chick-fil-a-78903/#eTP4Tr2hIUJDsoXH.99)

NJCardFan
07-26-2012, 10:36 AM
gift cards with slogans such as "Be Brave," and "Be Yourself," will go to support the foundation's mission.

That stated mission is "to foster a more accepting society, where differences are embraced and individuality is celebrated." Which is really another way of saying that the mission is to actually promote homosexuality as a positive, healthy lifestyle.
The irony of the above statement speaks volumes. It isn't conservatives that politicize everything. The left politicizes everything and I do mean everything. Look at the OP passage and you will see. In the beginning of it, it talks about Office Max and it's "acceptance" campaign. Fine, have at it. However, if a conservative company talks about their values, you have calls for boycotts and what have you. See what I said there? Not one call for boycotting Office Max but there are screams from the mountain tops to boycott a company who dares to believe in traditional family values. Mind you, never did Chick-Fil-A say that they would deny service or employment to anyone gay or otherwise. But the left doesn't see things that way. Office Max and their gift card slogans are fine, except, being yourself only applies to leftist ideologies only. As for the idiot mayor of Boston, I'd like to see someone want to bring in a Chik-Fil-A and have this idiot deny them then see him get sued out of his pants.

Novaheart
07-26-2012, 10:58 AM
We live in a world where every aspect of it is becoming politicized. Generally don't care if I eat a some please that is supports liberal causes or go to see movies that with actors who have political views that I agree with.

Whole story is here (http://http://www.christianpost.com/news/squawking-over-chick-fil-a-78903/#eTP4Tr2hIUJDsoXH.99)

For years it was known that Chic fil A's founder was a religious man whose major expression of faith seemed to be to be closed on Sunday which he said was both because of Sunday's status as a day of rest as well as so his employees could all have one day off together. I never heard of him being any more pushy with his faith than that. I thought I recalled him saying that his religious devotion was not political.

It would appear that his son has changed that, and has gone out of his way to offend the gay community. That's his right and it's the right of others to respond as they see fit to the degree that they are willing.

Novaheart
07-26-2012, 11:02 AM
However, if a conservative company talks about their values, you have calls for boycotts and what have you. See what I said there? Not one call for boycotting Office Max but there are screams from the mountain tops to boycott a company who dares to believe in traditional family values.

CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIAN
BOYCOTT OF DISNEY COMPANY

Sponsored link.

Overview:

An initial boycott of the Disney Company 1,2 was organized by the Catholic League. 3 They objected to a movie "Priest" which had been released by Miramax Co. in 1995. A year later, the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC), disturbed at Disney's equal treatment of heterosexuals, bisexuals and homosexuals, threatened a boycott. 4 Later that year, the Assemblies of God started an independent boycott. It was motivated by a wide range of concerns: a book, a movie, and theme park policies. 5 In 1997, the SBC initiated its boycott. 6,7This was joined by a number of other agencies and denominations: one Muslim, two Jewish, one mainline Christian denomination and dozens of conservative Christian faith groups. By 2001-MAR, these boycotts remained in place, but are not particularly visible in the media.

Various of the boycotts were terminated in 2005.

Novaheart
07-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Mind you, never did Chick-Fil-A say that they would deny service or employment to anyone gay or otherwise.

If you are an employee of Chic Fil A, then Cathy Junior's remarks just created a hostile workplace if there was not one before. Keep in mind that I think that Chic Fil A should have the right to have a sign prominently displayed (perhaps even required) which says "We don't like the heathens, queers, sons of Ham, or anyone else not like us." , but since they don't then what I see is people defending a prejudice towards one group of people that would not be tolerated or respected if it were applied to the Micks, Spicks, or Wops.

NJCardFan
07-26-2012, 11:51 AM
If you are an employee of Chic Fil A, then Cathy Junior's remarks just created a hostile workplace if there was not one before. Keep in mind that I think that Chic Fil A should have the right to have a sign prominently displayed (perhaps even required) which says "We don't like the heathens, queers, sons of Ham, or anyone else not like us." , but since they don't then what I see is people defending a prejudice towards one group of people that would not be tolerated or respected if it were applied to the Micks, Spicks, or Wops.

In order for this to be true, then you would have to have an example of someone being denied employment, treated in a hostile manner as an employee, or denied employment because of their sexual orientation. If not, your statement above is nothing but a strawman. As for your boycott statement above, you are implying that since some fringe groups called for a boycott that means ALL called for it. Um, no. In fact, that boycott must have been hush hush because I never heard of it. Perhaps if some Hollywood idiot got behind it I might have heard of it but af far as I know there are no calls for Disney customers to die of cancer. If you know of any, please post them here.

linda22003
07-26-2012, 01:12 PM
CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIAN
BOYCOTT OF DISNEY COMPANY

An initial boycott of the Disney Company 1,2 was organized by the Catholic League. 3 They objected to a movie "Priest" which had been released by Miramax Co. in 1995. A year later, the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC), disturbed at Disney's equal treatment of heterosexuals, bisexuals and homosexuals, threatened a boycott. 4 Later that year, the Assemblies of God started an independent boycott. It was motivated by a wide range of concerns: a book, a movie, and theme park policies. 5 In 1997, the SBC initiated its boycott. 6,7This was joined by a number of other agencies and denominations: one Muslim, two Jewish, one mainline Christian denomination and dozens of conservative Christian faith groups. By 2001-MAR, these boycotts remained in place, but are not particularly visible in the media.

Various of the boycotts were terminated in 2005.

I remember that. It basically fell apart once men discovered the boycott would include Disney-owned ESPN. :biggrin-new:

FlaGator
07-26-2012, 02:35 PM
For years it was known that Chic fil A's founder was a religious man whose major expression of faith seemed to be to be closed on Sunday which he said was both because of Sunday's status as a day of rest as well as so his employees could all have one day off together. I never heard of him being any more pushy with his faith than that. I thought I recalled him saying that his religious devotion was not political.

It would appear that his son has changed that, and has gone out of his way to offend the gay community. That's his right and it's the right of others to respond as they see fit to the degree that they are willing.

I don't think that he went out of his way to offend the gay community. It stated his beliefs on marriage and the gay community chose to take offense.

Being offended by something is a personal choice.

Bailey
07-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Hey queers don't like the companies beliefs don't eat at the joint but you don't have a right to prevent them from opening a store in any city as long as they obey the laws of the land.

Gina
I don't think that he went out of his way to offend the gay community. It stated his beliefs on marriage and the gay community chose to take offense.

Amen! Most problems in the world today are because of someone's response to a situation. You can choose not to let something offend you. That's not true for everything but for things like this, yes.

FlaGator
I remember that. It basically fell apart once men discovered the boycott would include Disney-owned ESPN. :biggrin-new:

The boycott still goes on but only those who choose to be offended pay any attention to it. For my part, I just make sure that I don't show up to Disney when they are having their gay pride celebrations.

FlaGator
07-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Amen! Most problems in the world today are because of someone's response to a situation. You can choose not to let something offend you. That's not true for everything but for things like this, yes.

Many people, including Christians, have adopted the cultural philosophy that life should be lived without any one or any thing saying or doing something offensive. People need to grow up.

Rockntractor
07-26-2012, 02:44 PM
T I just make sure that I don't show up to Disney when they are having their gay pride celebrations.

I can understand them enjoying a gay day but as to the pride part I see little in their accomplishment for them to have pride in, I would think any confused individual could pull off the mechanics involved.

JB
07-26-2012, 06:41 PM
I would think any confused individual could pull off the mechanics involved.Speaking of which...Is Chaz Bono straight now?

When she liked girls she was gay, now that he likes girls that would make him straight. It's so confusing.

JB
07-26-2012, 06:45 PM
....waaaaaahhhhh. People don't like me because I'm gay. Let's kill them all and burn down their houses. waaaaaaahhhhhhh...said the guy that loathes black people.

newshutr
07-26-2012, 06:48 PM
I'd rather eat where I choose instead of being force fed opinions of where I shouldn't..

FlaGator
07-27-2012, 09:25 AM
I'd rather eat where I choose instead of being force fed opinions of where I shouldn't..

A point that has been offered in past articles and it showing itself to be true is that the gay rights movement doesn't want tolerance of their lifestyle, they want acceptance and they want to destroy any and all who hold views that they don't agree with. Chik-fil-A is a prime example of this. They want to put Chik-fil-A out of business merely because the owner doesn't believe in same sex marriage. There is no evidence that Chik-fil-A has ever discriminated against homosexuals but that doesn't matter. Stifling opinions contrary to theirs is the most important thing. They don't seem to see the hypocrisy of claiming others to be bigots and intolerant while acting bigoted and intolerant.

Novaheart
07-28-2012, 11:02 PM
In order for this to be true, then you would have to have an example of someone being denied employment, treated in a hostile manner as an employee, or denied employment because of their sexual orientation. If not, your statement above is nothing but a strawman. .

That is simply not true. You are describing blatant discrimination. The "hostile workplace" is much broader and can be created by attitudes openly expressed. Jim Perdue can hire a woman at the second highest position of the company, pay her more than all the men, and still be the target of a successful lawsuit for a habit of making stupid remarks about women. Not that he has, just a structural example.

Novaheart
07-28-2012, 11:05 PM

He expressed his opinion as an officer of the company, and he made a statement suggesting that being in conformity with his religious views was required to succeed in the company. Or did you read it differently?

Novaheart
07-28-2012, 11:08 PM
In order for this to be true, then you would have to have an example of someone being denied employment, treated in a hostile manner as an employee, or denied employment because of their sexual orientation. If not, your statement above is nothing but a strawman. As for your boycott statement above, you are implying that since some fringe groups called for a boycott that means ALL called for it. Um, no. In fact, that boycott must have been hush hush because I never heard of it. Perhaps if some Hollywood idiot got behind it I might have heard of it but af far as I know there are no calls for Disney customers to die of cancer. If you know of any, please post them here.

You would have had to have been dead to not know about the alleged boycotts of Disney, especially over Gay Days at the Magic Kingdom.