PDA

View Full Version : Dick Cheney: Picking Sarah Palin for VP Was ‘A Mistake’

Gina
07-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Link (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/07/dick-cheney-picking-sarah-palin-for-vp-was-a-mistake/)

Dick Cheney has some advice for Mitt Romney on choosing a running mate: Don’t pick another Sarah Palin.

In his first interview since receiving a heart transplant in March, Cheney told ABC News, that John McCain’s decision to pick Palin as his running mate in 2008 was “a mistake” — one that it is important from Romney not to repeat.

It’s subject on which Cheney has some unique experience. He helped Presidents Gerald Ford and George W. Bush lead their vice presidential searches and, of course, served as vice president for eight years. He’s also privately offered some advice to both Romney and Beth Myers, who is leading Romney’s search for a runningmate, on the process.

Cheney would not comment on what he told Romney and Myers, but he was harsh in his assessment of McCain’s decision to pick Palin.

“That one,” Cheney said, “I don’t think was well handled.”

“The test to get on that small list has to be, ‘Is this person capable of being president of the United States?’”

Cheney believes Sarah Palin failed that test.

“I like Governor Palin. I’ve met her. I know her. She – attractive candidate. But based on her background, she’d only been governor for, what, two years. I don’t think she passed that test…of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake.”

More of the exclusive interview with Cheney, which was conducted in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, will air Monday on Good Morning America, World News with Diane Sawyer and Nightline.
What's going on? It's sort of like bizarro world. I guess we're seeing a lot of GOP people choose sides.

linda22003
07-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Someone 'got to' Cheney, too? :biggrin-new:

Gina
07-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Palin Hits 53% Poll Approval Rating Bests Obama/Romney;Media Still Quoting Year Old Polls (http://recovering-liberal.blogspot.com/2012/07/palin-hits-53-poll-approval-rating.html)

Elspeth
07-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Someone 'got to' Cheney, too? :biggrin-new:

A reference to the Scalia thread, eh?

So you think taking someone hunting before a major SCOTUS decision isn't "getting to" someone?

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-250_162-588582.html

LukeEDay
07-29-2012, 08:17 PM
I also think picking another Palin would hurt him. He needs to pick someone who will help him win. As far as I am concerned, Rubio or West will do that. But we will find out in a couple of weeks. He is going to announce his running mate before the convention.

Janice
07-29-2012, 10:20 PM
What a crock. He complains Palin had only been gov for 2 years? Only 2 years executive experience (not counting anything prior)?

And 0'marxist had how many years executive experience?

Ohh.. I forgot. All those years as a community organizer and rabble rouser. Ahh yes... "present"!

Janice
07-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Ohh... and Joe Biden is ready to "take over"??

LukeEDay
07-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Ohh... and Joe Biden is ready to "take over"??

If I had to choose between Biden and Palin. I would chose Palin in a second.

Let me make one thing clear here though: I am a great admirer of Palin. She is a beautiful women both inside and outside. But I do think that Romney choosing another her would hurt him. He needs to have a running mate that will help him win.

greenhornet-1
07-30-2012, 12:29 AM
The big mistake was letting the media pick McCain as our candidate! As for Palin, she has more experience than the KENYAN who never run as much as a lemonaid stand.

Janice
07-30-2012, 12:31 AM
The big mistake was letting the media pick McCain as our candidate! As for Palin, she has more experience than the KENYAN who never run as much as a lemonaid stand.

She had more (executive) experience than all the other candidates combined.

Piss off ABC News.

LukeEDay
07-30-2012, 08:39 AM
She had more (executive) experience than all the other candidates combined.

Piss off ABC News.

She definitely had more than obama, but Biden has been in the office since 1972. That still doesn't make him better though.

linda22003
07-30-2012, 09:12 AM
A reference to the Scalia thread, eh?

So you think taking someone hunting before a major SCOTUS decision isn't "getting to" someone?

If you think Scalia is that weak and unprincipled.

Gina
07-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Cheney Calls Palin VP Pick a ‘Mistake’; John McCain Responds (http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/07/30/cheney-calls-palin-vp-pick-a-mistake-john-mccain-responds/)
In an interview with Fox and Friends, Senator McCain said, “Well, I’m always glad to get comments four years later …”

Janice
07-30-2012, 01:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/s8AEO.jpg

She definitely had more than obama, but Biden has been in the office since 1972. That still doesn't make him better though.

Joe Bite-me was a Senator. Former Senators historically make the worst Presidents. While former Governors usually make the best. Why? - Executive experience. You dont get that as a Senator. Senators and House members usually have more of a "hands on" mentality as they are all about puffing themselves up so they can say "they (he or she) did it". Especially Senators as they are truly in "an exclusive club" as it were. But the office is much less demanding than say a Governors office. Governors are responsible for much more minutia as well as the overall broader issues. Especially the Governors of the larger states. They cannot possibly personally handle all the duties like Senators would normally (esp. Senators who vote present) do. They have to find like minded people they can trust and delegate authority to them. Then, good or bad, wherever the chips may fall, they are ultimately where the buck stops.

This is partially why the 0bamaroid appears to be soooooo deeply "out of his league". And why he appears to be incompetent so often. He has NO executive experience. He really is "learning on the job" or "on the fly" if you will.

LukeEDay
07-30-2012, 01:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/s8AEO.jpg

Joe Bite-me was a Senator. Former Senators historically make the worst Presidents. While former Governors usually make the best. Why? - Executive experience. You dont get that as a Senator. Senators and House members usually have more of a "hands on" mentality as they are all about puffing themselves up so they can say "they (he or she) did it". Especially Senators as they are truly in "an exclusive club" as it were. But the office is much less demanding than say a Governors office. Governors are responsible for much more minutia as well as the overall broader issues. Especially the Governors of the larger states. They cannot possibly personally handle all the duties like Senators would normally (esp. Senators who vote present) do. They have to find like minded people they can trust and delegate authority to them. Then, good or bad, wherever the chips may fall, they are ultimately where the buck stops.

This is partially why the 0bamaroid appears to be soooooo deeply "out of his league". And why he appears to be incompetent so often. He has NO executive experience. He really is "learning on the job" or "on the fly" if you will.

I know all about how Governors make better Presidents, as the job is the same as the state, but on a bigger scale. I was just pointing out that Crazy Joe has been a government official since the early 70's. So he has more experience in the government position than any of them. If you also noticed, I said it doesn't make him better.

Believe me, I would vote for a tree before I would ever vote for Biden, the gaffe master.

Janice
07-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Yes, its amazing how the voters are so easily swayed to vote for the most incompetent boobs we can imagine. It all seems to be treated kind of like an 'American Idol' contest now. Where appearances are all that matter. I first noticed this when Bush was nominated over Forbes.

Sorry to say but Americans seem to be incurably shallow. And many seem to be kind of proud of their political ignorance. If you talk to many younger folk, they will tell you how astute and knowledgeable they are. As Reagan once said paraphrasing "our friends on the left really dont know, what they dont know". There are many environs that naturally "cultivate" liberalism. Big cities, extreme poverty, immense wealth, age (the very young and the very old), education (either too much or not enough), religion (like the jewish are overwhelmingly liberal) and certain cultural considerations. Whats left after you subtract these? The middle class. The working middle class. But most of us start out liberal. Its only natural. Its when we grow up and have to go out and face the real world that we become conservative.

I wish I knew how to turn it around. The left has pretty much taken over the bureaucracy, higher education and the courts so that when they are out of power their agenda continues to move forward. Plus they throw out conservatives when the get into power. Meanwhile when republicans are elected we leave the entrenched leftists to show them we 'mean no harm' and we are not 'mean' like the media says we are. Too bad the GOP doesnt seem to take any of this too seriously. This really is war. Rome is burning.. and they give us Romney the gentlemans, gentleman. We may have to hit bottom first. And I mean hit bottom HARD. If we cant surround Romney with some real conservatives ...

Sorry for the rant. I am so fed up with these people who were sent to Washington to represent us... only to learn their only concern is for themselves once theyve been there a few years.