PDA

View Full Version : Watt? CFL’s Cause Cancer?

Retread
07-30-2012, 08:08 PM
" The report goes on to say that the bulbs should not be left on for extended periods of time due to the poisonous materials emitted by the CFL’s."

Source (http://swansenreport.com/2012/07/28/watt-cfls-cause-cancer/)

ABC in Georgia
07-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Good subject for discussion, Retread!

Can't stand them!!! Have always hated the stupid curly things whenever I have come into contact with them.

Have absolutely none of them in my house. Hate the *color* that they give off. Not user-friendly in the least! Are harsh and not the least bit relaxing, when you want low lighting ... and positively horrid when you need to read by them.

Have been away in the last couple of years while on the road to our destination ... and the blinking things are even found in the best of hotels and motels.

Must indeed be cheaper to run, else they wouldn't be using the damn things!

Well, will let you in on a secret, here. I travel with two old fashioned 60 watt incandescent bulbs of my own, and simply screw them in when we get there! ... :biggrin-new:

As for the cancer effect ... have no idea one way or the other.

~ ABC

Hubie
07-31-2012, 12:05 AM
Having them on reminds me of the office scenes from "Joe vs. the Volcano."

RobJohnson
07-31-2012, 06:29 AM
I like anything green that saves me money!

They also put off less heat and I use them in my outdoor lights, it made a difference on the electric bill.

I understand not everyone likes them and some people find it difficult to read using them. I still have a reading lamp and I don't always get the "curly" bulbs.

Soon the price of the LED bulbs will be more affordable and I will switch to them.

Odysseus
07-31-2012, 08:24 AM
I like anything green that saves me money!

They also put off less heat and I use them in my outdoor lights, it made a difference on the electric bill.

I understand not everyone likes them and some people find it difficult to read using them. I still have a reading lamp and I don't always get the "curly" bulbs.

Soon the price of the LED bulbs will be more affordable and I will switch to them.

That's your choice, or at least, it was, before the feds banned the manufacture of incandescants, and that's the real problem, the federal mandate on something that wasn't in need of a fix. The green issues for any product are the sum total of environmental impacts, and on that score, CFLs fail spectacularly. Nobody ever got cancer from an incandescant bulb, and while they may cost more to run, they are substantially cheaper to produce. Also, they don't require a HAZMAT team in the event of a break, as the CFLs do. The green energy use is more than offset by the toxic emissions and cost of waste disposal (you can't just throw out a CFL, you have to package it in special containers), not to mention the fact that they tend to explode when they fail, and they do not last as long as advertised.