PDA

View Full Version : Alexrod defends suit on Ohio military voting law, calls Romney's stance 'shameful'

Odysseus
08-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Maybe if we sent them via Mexico?

Published August 05, 2012

FoxNews.com

Top Obama Campaign adviser David Axelrod on Sunday defended Democrats’ lawsuit against an Ohio law on early voting for U.S. service members and called Mitt Romney’s portraying of the case “shameful.”

The Obama campaign and the Democratic National Committee filed the suit to block a new state law allowing men and women in uniform to vote up until the Monday right before an election, while the cutoff on early voting for the rest of the public is three days earlier.

“They way Gov. Romney stated (the situation) is completely false,” Axelrod said on “Fox News Sunday.” “It’s shameful that Gov. Romney would hide behind our service men and women.”

Axelrod’s comments were the most recent in a back-and-forth since the suit was filed last month in a federal court in the battleground state of Ohio.

“President Obama's lawsuit claiming it is unconstitutional for Ohio to allow servicemen and women extended early voting privileges during the state's early voting period is an outrage,” Romney said Saturday.

Obama campaign officials said the suit doesn’t attempt to restrict the voting rights of military members. The officials said the filed the suit to try to even the playing field for all Ohio voters by allowing early voting up until Monday for everyone, including members of the military, because they believe a two-tiered, early-voting process is unfair.

Alexrod repeated that point Sunday and suggested Republicans continue to try to find ways to “keep shrinking” the voting population.
The National Guard Association and other military groups are firing back, saying it's "offensive" for Democrats to suggest in the suit it's arbitrary for service members to get special consideration.

Men and women in uniform typically get more time than other voters to send in absentee ballots since they may be serving in an overseas or domestic location that is not close to their home polling station.

The stakes in this legal battle are huge: Obama is anxious to keep Ohio's 18 electoral votes in the Democratic column this November. And no Republican has won the White House without carrying the state.

The Obama campaign responded with hours to Romney’s comments Saturday, saying, "Mitt Romney and his campaign have completely fabricated a claim that the Obama campaign is trying to restrict military voting in Ohio.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/05/alexrod-defends-suit-on-ohio-military-voting-law-calls-romney-stance-hameful/#ixzz22gS14Nq4

txradioguy
08-05-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm just utterly specchless that anyone would propose...much less then go out and defend crap like this.

Zathras
08-05-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm just utterly specchless that anyone would propose...much less then go out and defend crap like this.

With who's sitting in the White House nothing that they do surprises me anymore. It's just another cobblestone in the road Obama and company is laying that's leading to the ruin of America.

Rockntractor
08-05-2012, 12:11 PM
With who's sitting in the White House nothing that they do surprises me anymore. It's just another cobblestone in the road Obama and company is laying that's leading to the ruin of America.

It would be like saying I can't believe what Chavez did today.

Novaheart
08-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to pass laws making it possible for all the votes to be counted by the evening of the election? And while we are on the subject, can something be done about states which drag their feet in vote counting OREGON so they can be the last to report?

Starbuck
08-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Speaking as someone who is going to vote against Obama, and who fervently hopes Obama will stumble, I encourage Obama to use Axlerod more often as a spokesman.:evil-grin:

As a spokesman, that guy just ain't got it.

Bailey
08-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to pass laws making it possible for all the votes to be counted by the evening of the election? And while we are on the subject, can something be done about states which drag their feet in vote counting OREGON so they can be the last to report?

No it wouldnt make sense, are you to lazy to get up off your ass and vote on election day? Military people have special circumstances due to duty and field training.

LukeEDay
08-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Anytime anyone tries to hinder the military from voting, it makes me ill. Obama knows that a huge majority of the military does not favor him. So he is going to try everything he can to keep them from voting, and allowing illegals to vote.

This isn't the end of this. Look for them do like they tried to do in 2008 as well; which they tried to throw out all the military absentee ballots.

It is a shame that ACORN isn't around anymore. With out someone to register 400,000 fake voters for the Dems, he has to try something else.

Has anyone noticed the pattern here? They sue Ohio to keep 'LEGAL' citizens from voting. And sue Florida to allow 'ILLEGAL' citizens to vote. Hmmmm .....

Rockntractor
08-05-2012, 08:40 PM
The administration keeps doing one thing after another that you would think would be suicidal moves during an election year but he still appears to have support of over 40% of the people, what would you have to do to get progressives and liberals to hate you and why is Obama so arrogantly confident?
I hope I am wrong about the reasons why I think he gets away with it.

LukeEDay
08-05-2012, 08:45 PM
The administration keeps doing one thing after another that you would think would be suicidal moves during an election year but he still appears to have support of over 40% of the people, what would you have to do to get progressives and liberals to hate you and why is Obama so arrogantly confident?
I hope I am wrong about the reasons why I think he gets away with it.

It is the same thing that got him elected in 2008 - 'Willful ignorance' ... And MSNBC, and the rest of the MSM, either completely lie about what he is doing, or don't report it at all. But you can guarantee that if it was Romney doing that, it would be on the front page of every news paper and news website, and breaking news all over the world.

Hubie
08-05-2012, 08:51 PM

Democrats don't want all the military votes to be counted because they traditionally favor Republicans by a wide margin. Democrats have been seeking to throw out every military absentee vote they can under any pretense since Gore lost Florida. The Democrats tried to count every iffy vote for Gore they could then under the guise of preventing "voter disenfranchisement," but had absolutely no qualms about trashing countless military ballots using the most minor of complaints.

LukeEDay
08-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Democrats don't want all the military votes to be counted because they traditionally favor Republicans by a wide margin. Democrats have been seeking to throw out every military absentee vote they can under any pretense since Gore lost Florida.

Exactly!

Odysseus
08-06-2012, 08:56 AM

Normally, yes, but early voting and military voting are two separate issues. Early voters are presumed to be in the state, but simply inclined to vote via mail. Military voters are presumed to be out of state, often overseas, and therefore require more transit time for ballots, hence the additional grace period.

During the 2000 election, Democratic operatives showed up in Florida with a memo that gave detailed instructions on how to invalidate military ballots. in 2008, Virginia sent out military ballots so late that they were unable to count them for the election, and had to be sued to comply with the law (http://www.factcheck.org/2008/11/virginias-military-absentee-ballots/). Democrats see us as a hostile constituency, and do whatever it takes to suppress our votes, while enabling illegals and other ineligible voters to cast votes.