PDA

View Full Version : Shopping thread

SaintLouieWoman
08-05-2012, 08:25 PM
I was wondering if other states have those tax free weekends for clothes, backpacks, school supplies? Yesterday and today I took advantage of the whopping 7% savings.

My haul yesterday included such mundane things as white-out tape, dividers for a notebook, and super glue. I'm way extravagant, hee hee.

Today was another story. It didn't say how big the kids were returning to school, so SR had a minor wardrobe adjustment. He got 4 pairs of shorts and 4 white knit casual shirts. The old stuff went into the Goodwill bag. I got a sweater at 40% off that matched a pair of capri pants that I got last week (also 40% off). The grandkids got some adorable outfits.

The economy must be getting a tad better. The store was swamped (Sears, nothing extravagant) with moms buying stuff for the kids to return to school. Or it could be a sign of desperation, where even the 7% savings was important to their back to school budgets.

linda22003
08-06-2012, 08:14 AM
The store was swamped with moms buying stuff for the kids to return to school.

I think Virginia just had a tax free weekend. I didn't participate for the reason stated above. :biggrin-new:

Zathras
08-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Here in California the state doesn't do it but individual companies will do it on occasion. We have a hardware store chain here in the SF bay area, Orchard Supply Hardware, that has a "We Pay The Sales Tax" weekend event every 6 months or so but I haven't heard of any other business doing the tax free thing in this area.

noonwitch
08-06-2012, 11:42 AM
We don't have anything like that in Michigan. We do have a lot of charitable school supply giveaways-mostly churches who decide to sponsor a specific school and fill up backpacks full of school supplies.

JC Penney is giving free haircuts for kids throughout the month of August, though. That's a good thing for parents with low funds who want their kids to look nice for school photos.

Zeus
08-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Texas shoppers get a break from state and local sales taxes on August 17-19, 2012 - the state's annual sales tax holiday. Lay-away plans can be used again this year to take advantage of the sales tax holiday.

A complete list of tax-free items (http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxpubs/tx98_490/tx98_490.html) .

SaintLouieWoman
08-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Texas shoppers get a break from state and local sales taxes on August 17-19, 2012 - the state's annual sales tax holiday. Lay-away plans can be used again this year to take advantage of the sales tax holiday.

A complete list of tax-free items (http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxpubs/tx98_490/tx98_490.html) .

Texas has a better deal than Florida, which also covers all clothes (under $75 vs $100 in Texas), footwear, backpacks and school supplies.

Florida does not allow lay-away plans. Texas is more compassionate, maybe because it's so conservative. :biggrin-new:

SaintLouieWoman
08-06-2012, 01:10 PM
I think Virginia just had a tax free weekend. I didn't participate for the reason stated above. :biggrin-new:

It's for clothes (doesn't say kiddie sizes) and footwear, as well as school (or office) supplies. They prohibited buying cartridges for printers or computers. Drat.

The limit was $75 per item, so doubt if you could get much at Eileen F. for that.

Gina
08-08-2012, 06:59 PM
We don't have anything like that in Michigan. We do have a lot of charitable school supply giveaways-mostly churches who decide to sponsor a specific school and fill up backpacks full of school supplies.

JC Penney is giving free haircuts for kids throughout the month of August, though. That's a good thing for parents with low funds who want their kids to look nice for school photos.

Art Van furniture comes to mind, they pay the sales tax around a holiday, maybe tax time even. Other than that yeah it's just churches and boys/girls clubs. When my youngest was in elementary school, the school had a back to school picnic and gave away tons of stuff.