PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Passes 'Right to Pray' Amendment by Over 600,000

FlaGator
08-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Some people are not happy about this because they don't like other people's public displays of faith for any reason.

On Tuesday, voters in Missouri expressed their views concerning religious freedom (http://www.christianpost.com/topics/religious-freedom/) and overwhelmingly approved a state constitutional amendment that supporters feel will protect it.

The measure, known as Amendment 2 but commonly referred to as the "Right to Pray" amendment, gives Missourians the right to express religious beliefs in public without fear of their freedom to do so being limited.

The amendment also protects voluntary prayer in public schools and requires public schools to display a copy of the Bill of Rights.

With only a few precincts statewide not officially counted, the number of votes which garnered a supportive vote were 779,628; 162,404 voted no, which meant the victory was a landslide at more than a 4-1 margin, with religious freedom winning by 617,224 votes.

Missouri voters believe "religious liberty is pretty important to them and a high priority," Kerry Messer, president of the Missouri Family Network, told the Kansas City Star.

"The public feels like the Supreme Court took this away from them over 50 years ago with a ruling against mandatory school prayer," he added

Read more here (http://http://www.christianpost.com/news/missouri-passes-right-to-pray-amendment-by-over-600000-votes-79677/#6RDpbvISPHtYhxcY.99)

Hubie
08-08-2012, 01:15 PM
I heard Barry Lynn had a stroke when he heard about this.

LukeEDay
08-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Look for liberals to go bat crazy in 3...2...1. I love it.

Novaheart
08-08-2012, 02:53 PM
If the amendment is consistent with case law then it has no effect.
If the amendment is inconsistent with case law, then it has no effect.
But Whoopteedo~! You sure showed us.

Can't wait to see the Missourians bitching about Moslems pray on sidewalks and in the streets; not to mention going to court every whipstitch.

Eupher
08-08-2012, 03:26 PM

Can't wait to see the Missourians bitching about Moslems pray on sidewalks and in the streets; not to mention going to court every whipstitch.

I'm a resident of Missouri and I voted for this legislation. Did you bother to read it? Assuming you haven't, let me post some of it here.

Section 5. That all men and women have a natural and indefeasible right to worship
2 Almighty God according to the dictates of their own consciences; that no human authority can
3 control or interfere with the rights of conscience; that no person shall, on account of his or her
4 religious persuasion or belief, be rendered ineligible to any public office or trust or profit in this
5 state, be disqualified from testifying or serving as a juror, or be molested in his or her person
6 or estate; that to secure a citizen's right to acknowledge Almighty God according to the
7 dictates of his or her own conscience, neither the state nor any of its political subdivisions
8 shall establish any official religion, nor shall a citizen's right to pray or express his or her
9 religious beliefs be infringed; that the state shall not coerce any person to participate in any
10 prayer or other religious activity, but shall ensure that any person shall have the right to
11 pray individually or corporately in a private or public setting so long as such prayer does
12 not result in disturbance of the peace or disruption of a public meeting or assembly; that
13 citizens as well as elected officials and employees of the state of Missouri and its political
14 subdivisions shall have the right to pray on government premises and public property so long as such 15 prayers abide within the same parameters placed upon any other free speech
16 under similar circumstances; that the General Assembly and the governing bodies of
17 political subdivisions may extend to ministers, clergypersons, and other individuals the
18 privilege to offer invocations or other prayers at meetings or sessions of the General
19 Assembly or governing bodies; that students may express their beliefs about religion in
20 written and oral assignments free from discrimination based on the religious content of
21 their work; that no student shall be compelled to perform or participate in academic
22 assignments or educational presentations that violate his or her religious beliefs; that the
23 state shall ensure public school students their right to free exercise of religious expression
24 without interference, as long as such prayer or other expression is private and voluntary,
25 whether individually or corporately, and in a manner that is not disruptive and as long as
26 such prayers or expressions abide within the same parameters placed upon any other free
27 speech under similar circumstances; and, to emphasize the right to free exercise of religious
28 expression, that all free public schools receiving state appropriations shall display, in a
29 conspicuous and legible manner, the text of the Bill of Rights of the Constitution of the
30 United States; but this section shall not be construed to expand the rights of prisoners in state
31 or local custody beyond those afforded by the laws of the United States, excuse acts of
32 licentiousness, nor to justify practices inconsistent with the good order, peace or safety of the
33 state, or with the rights of others.

http://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/2012ballot/fulltext_1.pdf

Lessee, now:

No establishment of a state religion. Check.
Right to pray individually or corporately will not be infringed. Check.
State will not coerce anybody to pray. Check.
Prayer will not disturb the peace. Whoa. Wait a minute.

I don't know of any Christian manner of prayer, up to and including genuflecting in a Roman Catholic church, or kneeling, or sitting with bowed head and clasped hands, softly murmuring to oneself, that comes close to the potential disturbance of the peace that Muslims have shown when pulling out their prayer rugs and "praying" just before a flight:

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=a17fda44-407d-4e9e-a321-3feb1f71001e

Just sayin'....

TVDOC
08-08-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm a resident of Missouri and I voted for this legislation.

Me as well......on both counts......

doc

LukeEDay
08-08-2012, 04:49 PM

I don't care if a Muslim is praying in public. This is America. We have religious freedom here (I know you would like to see it go away). As long as they aren't bothering me, I won't bother them.

NJCardFan
08-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Are we talking about the same Muslims who kill gays for just being gay or are Missouri Muslims more liberal?

RobJohnson
08-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Are we talking about the same Muslims who kill gays for just being gay or are Missouri Muslims more liberal?

:rotfl:

RobJohnson
08-08-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm a resident of Missouri and I voted for this legislation. Did you bother to read it? Assuming you haven't, let me post some of it here.

http://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/2012ballot/fulltext_1.pdf

Lessee, now:

No establishment of a state religion. Check.
Right to pray individually or corporately will not be infringed. Check.
State will not coerce anybody to pray. Check.
Prayer will not disturb the peace. Whoa. Wait a minute.

I don't know of any Christian manner of prayer, up to and including genuflecting in a Roman Catholic church, or kneeling, or sitting with bowed head and clasped hands, softly murmuring to oneself, that comes close to the potential disturbance of the peace that Muslims have shown when pulling out their prayer rugs and "praying" just before a flight:

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=a17fda44-407d-4e9e-a321-3feb1f71001e

Just sayin'....

Sounds like a good law to me.

I pray all day long, most of the time while I am walking with my eyes open.

I never had figured out the need for a rug to pray, but to each their own. It's called FREEDOM.

Rockntractor
08-08-2012, 08:45 PM
I never had figured out the need for a rug to pray, but to each their own. It's called FREEDOM.

That is all a ploy by big rug in Iran, to make money.

noonwitch
08-09-2012, 09:01 AM
There shouldn't need to be a law like this on the books, the first amendment should be sufficient.

My school never stopped a kid from praying. There was never any attempts to prevent religious expression, except that classroom time was for learning. Heck, they let the Gideons give away little New Testaments to us in 4th or 5th grade, and allowed the Catholic church to come pick up all the Catholic kids twice a week for two hours of cat prison (that's what we protestant kids called it).

TVDOC
08-09-2012, 11:04 AM
There shouldn't need to be a law like this on the books, the first amendment should be sufficient.

My school never stopped a kid from praying. There was never any attempts to prevent religious expression, except that classroom time was for learning. Heck, they let the Gideons give away little New Testaments to us in 4th or 5th grade, and allowed the Catholic church to come pick up all the Catholic kids twice a week for two hours of cat prison (that's what we protestant kids called it).

Basically this is a constitutional/legal premptive strike in the state, to prevent courts from legislating against the will of the people, even the Missouri Supreme Court, which has handed down some strange decisions on occasion, is now forbidden from deciding against it.

This is the same as three other constitutional amendments that have passed on the ballot in Missouri lately:

1. Missouri will not sanction homosexual marriage

2. Missouri legislators cannot spend gasoline taxes on anything except road construction and maintenance (just in case the Democrats ever win a majority again, which is unlikely)

3. Missouri opted out of Obamacare by a similiar margin (landslide), which prevents the state from any action that will serve to implement it.

Just a legal manuever to eliminate activist judges (like those in St. Louis) from messing with the legislature and the majority opinion in Missouri.

doc

MrsSmith
08-10-2012, 07:06 AM

In a non-leftist world, states wouldn't have to pass special amendments to defend the rights clearly granted in the Bill of Rights...unfortunately, in today's world, the left fully supports the government religion of atheism, so states have to do whatever is possible to re-restrict the Fed to it's proper place.

Section 5. That all men and women have a natural and indefeasible right to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their own consciences; that no human authority can control or interfere with the rights of conscience This is wonderful for medical and pharmacy staff!!!

elected officials and employees of the state of Missouri and its political subdivisions shall have the right to pray on government premises and public property so long as such prayers abide within the same parameters placed upon any other free speech under similar circumstances; that the General Assembly and the governing bodies of political subdivisions may extend to ministers, clergypersons, and other individuals the privilege to offer invocations or other prayers at meetings or sessions of the General Assembly or governing bodies Awesome!!
that students may express their beliefs about religion in written and oral assignments free from discrimination based on the religious content of their work; that no student shall be compelled to perform or participate in academic assignments or educational presentations that violate his or her religious beliefs; that the state shall ensure public school students their right to free exercise of religious expression without interference, as long as such prayer or other expression is private and voluntary, whether individually or corporately, and in a manner that is not disruptive and as long as such prayers or expressions abide within the same parameters placed upon any other free speech under similar circumstances; and, to emphasize the right to free exercise of religious expression, that all free public schools receiving state appropriations shall display, in a conspicuous and legible manner, the text of the Bill of Rights of the Constitution of the United States About time!!

LukeEDay
08-10-2012, 09:23 AM
I pray all day long, most of the time while I am walking with my eyes open.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who does that.

FlaGator
08-10-2012, 09:43 AM
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who does that.

Me too. I try to stay in continual communication to my Creator and Savior.

LukeEDay
08-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Me too. I try to stay in continual communication to my Creator and Savior.

That is awesome. There is none more deserving of our content attention than our creator and savior.

Zathras
08-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Nova hates it that Americans in MO can openly display their religious freedoms. He can't help it, being a hate filled bigot when it comes to people worshiping whatever deity they wish.

Novaheart
08-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Nova hate it that Americans in MO can openly display their religious freedoms. He can't help it, being a hate filled bigot when it comes to people worshiping whatever deity they wish.

What do you think this law changes and accomplishes? Specifically.

Zathras
08-10-2012, 02:04 PM

Don't you think you should be backing up claims you've made in other threads before asking other people questions?

As for what this law changes and accomplishes? Pretty much everything other people have said in this thread so me repeating it would be a waste of time. But the most important thing it does? It drives anti religious bigots like you crazy....and that's a good thing.

FlaGator
08-10-2012, 02:17 PM

It will deter foolish law suits every time some atheist gets upset at a high school graduation when the Valedictorian decides to add a prayer or reference to God in her speech.

JB
08-10-2012, 06:50 PM
What do you think this law changes and accomplishes? Specifically.Your question is not relevant to his statement.

If nothing is changed or accomplished, get out of the thread. Otherwise, something is bothering you about it.

RobJohnson
08-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Your question is not relevant to his statement.

If nothing is changed or accomplished, get out of the thread. Otherwise, something is bothering you about it.

:applause: