PDA

View Full Version : Wounded Soldier in a wheelchair Forced to Use Stairs at Best Western in Monahans, TX

Apocalypse
08-09-2012, 10:51 AM
ďI need some help guys!

I stayed at a best western in Monahans TX yesterday for a pit stop at a rate of 289 for six hours. It was a necessity at the time. For those who might get this message who donít know me, I was injured in Iraq five years ago and am in a wheelchair. The elevator was down when I woke up, so I called the front desk. The conversation goes as suchÖ Verbatim.

(Chad) Hi the elevator isnt working
(Holly)Itís been down for about an hour
(Chad) Can you send someone up to help me down the stairs ( I said this as calmly as I could, I know Shit happens)
(Holly) Are you serious? (In a mocking voice)
(Chad) (Explains that I am in a wheelchair)
(Holly) Well, what do you want me to do about it? (she said flippantly)
(Chad) Are you fucking serious? Iím in a fucking wheelchair.
(Holly) (Chuckles)

So I made a formal complaint after the manager played dumb. The file number is120806-3855.

The lady at the other end sated its a liability thing, and assured me the complaint would be passed on. But, we all know what goes on with these types of things.

So, I would like all of you to spread this message to others please. And everyone feel free to call customer support est western and tell them that you would like to boycott the chain untill a resolution o this issue is found. The address is po box 42007 phoenix, AZ 85080.

So how did I get down the stairs? 3 flights. I threw all my bags down with my wheelchair and went down on my ass.Ē

http://www.armywtfmoments.com/ssg-chad-staples-incident-at-best-western

NJCardFan
08-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Sorry but he thought his best course of action is to respond with profanity?

Rockntractor
08-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Sorry but he thought his best course of action is to respond with profanity?

After her mocking response yes.
You are one to talk about profane responses.

FlaGator
08-09-2012, 11:34 AM

There is always a better way to respond than with profanity. This is coming from a guy who use to use the the F word like an adjective for everything.

noonwitch
08-09-2012, 11:41 AM
I've never seen a Best Western that was worth $289 a night, if I read that correctly.

MountainMan
08-09-2012, 11:53 AM
I've never seen a Best Western that was worth $289 a night, if I read that correctly.

If it caters to truck drivers and he had to park his rig, that cost maybe correct.....if he is a driver.

Apocalypse
08-09-2012, 12:58 PM
5 sec on their web site shows its in reason.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/Dispel_Illusions/Capture-11.jpg

Note it is a thee story hotel as the complaint says.

Now being $10 more then the web site is simple. If you walk in and reserve as a walk-in, they tend to be higher then booking on the web site.

Zeus
08-09-2012, 01:00 PM

It's a town of about 7000 people out in the middle of no where. About 37 miles from Odessa and 200 miles from El Paso.

m00
08-09-2012, 04:03 PM

Depends on local economy, peak rates, and season. If it's the only hotel for miles, and is a pit-stop... they can charge what they want.

Hubie
08-09-2012, 10:03 PM

Forest for the trees. :friendly_wink:

NJCardFan
08-09-2012, 10:48 PM

I respond to businesses with profanity? You have proof to back this up?

Rockntractor
08-09-2012, 10:53 PM
I respond to businesses with profanity? You have proof to back this up?

I think you no what I'm referring to.

NJCardFan
08-09-2012, 10:57 PM
I think you no what I'm referring to.

So? Oh, that's right. I'm not allowed to say anything bad about the military here. Forgot. Sorry. :rolleyes: And I'm still wating for examples of me using profanity at a business. And for the record, we're getting this from the person who claims to be the one wronged. We don't get anything from the other party. Had this been posted on the DU we'd be calling this a bouncy.

Edit: Holy crap. Upon reading the link, make mountains out of molehills much? If the story is true then the person involved should be reprimanded but for God's sakes this website sounds like they want this person publicly executed. BW already issued an apology but these people are making this out to be much much more than it is. Even the guy accepted their apology. Sheesh, one idiot is not representative of the entire company.

Edit again: No Rock, I don't "no" what you are referring to because I've never reacted this way toward a business.

Rockntractor
08-10-2012, 12:15 AM
So? Oh, that's right. I'm not allowed to say anything bad about the military here. Forgot. Sorry. :rolleyes: And I'm still wating for examples of me using profanity at a business. And for the record, we're getting this from the person who claims to be the one wronged. We don't get anything from the other party. Had this been posted on the DU we'd be calling this a bouncy.

Edit: Holy crap. Upon reading the link, make mountains out of molehills much? If the story is true then the person involved should be reprimanded but for God's sakes this website sounds like they want this person publicly executed. BW already issued an apology but these people are making this out to be much much more than it is. Even the guy accepted their apology. Sheesh, one idiot is not representative of the entire company.

Edit again: No Rock, I don't "no" what you are referring to because I've never reacted this way toward a business.

Please don't stop, keep typing, I'm absolutely fascinated at this point!!

RobJohnson
08-10-2012, 06:17 AM
Sounds like the guy was trying to be patient with the girl that became rude and finally dropped the f'bomb. It happens.

MrsSmith
08-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Sounds like the guy was trying to be patient with the girl that became rude and finally dropped the f'bomb. It happens.

Seems to me if I were wheelchair bound and stuck on the 3rd floor, I'd have said a lot worse than he did!!

The manager's actions were inexcusable.

SarasotaRepub
08-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Seems to me if I were wheelchair bound and stuck on the 3rd floor, I'd have said a lot worse than he did!!

There manager's actions were inexcusable.

There are limits to what a Front Desk person can do but her reaction was over the line and should be reported to the Chain Mgt.

I would have had several "interesting" word combos for her. :biggrin-new:

NJCardFan
08-10-2012, 10:33 AM
There are limits to what a Front Desk person can do but her reaction was over the line and should be reported to the Chain Mgt.

I don't disagree, however, they apologized and the man accepted it but the website wants the girl's head on a pike. IMO, the offending party accepted the apology the matter should be considered closed. Also, blame the lawyers. If an employee would have helped the guy and dropped him, there would have been lawsuits abound. It's because of the fear of getting sued as to why some people behave a certain way.

NJCardFan
08-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Please don't stop, keep typing, I'm absolutely fascinated at this point!!

Instead of being snarky, point out where you think I'm wrong.

Rockntractor
08-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Instead of being snarky, point out where you think I'm wrong.

You blew up at Nova with a string of profanity the other day for a comment he made that you didn't like, the same thing you are criticizing this man for.

You got your toe stubbed on a message board by a comment that may not even have been directed to you and exploded into a string of profanity and then a day later call a crippled man on the carpet who was wounded while serving his country, for lashing out because he couldn't get help up a stairs.

Novaheart
08-10-2012, 11:11 AM

There are limits to what I could do for the man as a desk clerk, but I (and every other person I have ever worked with) am aware of my obligation to mitigate obstacles to the handicapped. He might still have gone down the stairs on his bottom, but he would have done it while I carried his stuff and chair down the stairs, righted him, and helped him to his vehicle.

RobJohnson
08-11-2012, 01:19 AM
There are limits to what I could do for the man as a desk clerk, but I (and every other person I have ever worked with) am aware of my obligation to mitigate obstacles to the handicapped. He might still have gone down the stairs on his bottom, but he would have done it while I carried his stuff and chair down the stairs, righted him, and helped him to his vehicle.

Well said.

I often find myself in a position to help the public, being sued is the last thing on my mind. I am more worried about their safety.

I am sure if the guy was hurt and girl did not help there could be a suit also. It works both ways.

Gina
08-11-2012, 01:00 PM
If I were the desk clerk I would have either enlisted some buff employees to lift him down the stairs or possibly called the police non-emergent # and had the fire dept help him down. I certainly wouldn't have disrespected him in the way she did.