PDA

View Full Version : "Like" button. Constitutionally protected or not?

JB
08-10-2012, 08:38 PM
This story cracks me up:

Deputy sheriff and some coworkers Like the guy running against the sheriff (their boss) on Facebook. Naturally their boss wins and promptly fires all the Like-ers. :biggrin-new:

They sue to get their job back. They lose and now Facebook and the ACLU are on the case.

Facebook Argues "Like" Is Free Speech (http://news.yahoo.com/facebook-argues-free-speech-225008185.html)

NJCardFan
08-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Yes, it is free speech, however, you are also free to accept the consequences of your actions and words.

Novaheart
08-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Sometimes things work out right:

http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20120808/SH01/120808003/Fired-deputy-wins-appeal

Fired deputy wins appeal

PRINCESS ANNE — A former Somerset County sheriff’s deputy has won his appeal to Maryland’s Court of Special Appeals which agreed his termination by the county was arbitrary and capricious.

The court’s reversal is the second victory for Durham. In May, he was awarded more than $1 million after a federal jury found he had been denied his First Amendment rights.

Since then, Hoffman has successfully had $391 of Jones’ wages garnished every two weeks and has seized a bank account, but he has had trouble getting a disclosure of the sheriff’s assets.

The beauty of this is that it reminds people, especially those who believe that they are protected by their office, that they can be personally sued and dispossessed for their deliberate illegal acts.

RobJohnson
08-11-2012, 01:11 AM
Yes, it is free speech, however, you are also free to accept the consequences of your actions and words.

The little Fortune 50 company that I work for has a social networking policy.

Blocking co-workers is a good thing!

LukeEDay
08-11-2012, 04:02 PM
How long till facebook takes down the like button?

Gina
08-11-2012, 06:37 PM
I think people are getting addicted to the like thing. It used to be if you approved of something you'd write them a note or give them a call. Now.. "Like" us on facebook for a free 2 liter with your pizza!

LukeEDay
08-11-2012, 10:18 PM
One of the things that annoys me most about facebook is when someone likes their own flipping post. If you didn't like it, you would never have posted it to begin with.

Other than that, I can't stand people who write in all caps all the time.

NJCardFan
08-11-2012, 10:55 PM
One of the things that annoys me most about facebook is when someone likes their own flipping post. If you didn't like it, you would never have posted it to begin with.

Or italics...just sayin'. :friendly_wink:

Odysseus
08-12-2012, 01:45 AM

I just hate Helvetica. Those damned Helveticans should just go back where they came from.

LukeEDay
08-12-2012, 05:00 AM

Italics is better than caps any day. Italics adds to the beauty of the post. It makes it look perty. ;)

RobJohnson
08-12-2012, 09:40 AM

I KNOW WHAT U R SAYING

:rotfl:

Gina
08-12-2012, 09:53 AM
I KNOW WHAT U R SAYING

ME TOO! ALL CAPS AND ITALICS? OUTRAGEOUS!

Unreconstructed Reb
08-12-2012, 10:09 AM

Unreconstructed Reb LIKES this!!!

Gina
08-12-2012, 10:31 AM

:thumbsup:

LukeEDay
08-12-2012, 02:30 PM
I KNOW WHAT U R SAYING

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

JB
08-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Sometimes things work out right:FYI, that story has nothing to do with the OP.

UnLike.

RobJohnson
08-13-2012, 12:03 AM
FYI, that story has nothing to do with the OP.

UnLike.

I'm sure it was an oversight.

noonwitch
08-13-2012, 03:25 PM
I think people are getting addicted to the like thing. It used to be if you approved of something you'd write them a note or give them a call. Now.. "Like" us on facebook for a free 2 liter with your pizza!

Which pizza chain is doing that? I want my free pop next time I order!

It is free speech, silly as it is in this case. Sometimes those are the cases the reinforce our free speech, kind of like The People vs Larry Flynt. We all have the right to make fake ads that portray self-appointed bastions of morality as incestuous drunks.