PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Allen West says ad plays on racial stereotypes; NAACP disagrees

txradioguy
08-12-2012, 02:30 PM
STUART — Conservative black U.S. Rep. Allen West, R-Palm Beach Gardens, says an ad that depicts him punching white women plays on racial stereotypes and would make liberals “apoplectic” if a Republican ran it against a black Democrat.

While Sarah Palin and Herman Cain joined the West campaign in ratcheting up criticism of the ad on Friday, an NAACP official said he didn’t find the 30-second spot to be racially offensive. And the campaign of West’s main Democratic rival defended the ad’s content while denying any involvement in its creation.

The controversy centers on an ad by American Sunrise, a PAC that is largely financed by the father of Democratic congressional candidate Patrick Murphy. The ad blasts West’s stances on seniors, women’s health and tax issues by showing a cartoonish likeness of West in boxing gloves slugging an elderly woman and a younger woman who are white and punching a black family and grabbing the family’s cash.

“Think if the Republican Party or some conservative PAC ran a picture of a black Democrat politician or congressman punching white women and white seniors. I’m sure that MSNBC, NBC and the Huffington Post and everyone would be going apoplectic right now,” West said on Fox News.

West, one of only two black Republicans in Congress, said “different rules” apply to black conservatives.

“You know, where’s the outrage from Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and the NAACP about this? They’re not going to say anything because they’re nothing but an effective wing of the Democrat Party whatsoever and they have effectively kept them well placed so that they can continue to have a black electorate voting bloc,” West said.
NAACP Washington Bureau Director Hilary O. Shelton, the organization’s chief federal lobbyist, said he watched the ad three or four times.

“It is a typical campaign ad,” said Shelton. “I don’t see it playing on stereotypes.”

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/west-says-ad-plays-on-racial-stereotypes-naacp-dis/nQPcM/

Hubie
08-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Well, there you have it. The NAACP says we have free reign to produce ads about black Democrats showing them hitting white women.

Thorn
08-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Well, there you have it. The NAACP says we have free reign to produce ads about black Democrats showing them hitting white women.

I believe it would be interesting to see the reaction from the left and the NAACP if the exact same commercial were to be reworked and made into an anti-Obama ad. :cool:

NJCardFan
08-13-2012, 12:23 AM
West’s main Democratic rival defended the ad’s content while denying any involvement in its creation.

Seems to be a running theme with the left doesn't it?

Odysseus
08-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Seems to be a running theme with the left doesn't it?

It's consistent with the Obama campaign meme of "You didn't make that."

Bailey
08-13-2012, 09:25 AM
I believe it would be interesting to see the reaction from the left and the NAACP if the exact same commercial were to be reworked and made into an anti-Obama ad. :cool:

LOL i would pay real money to see that happen

Thorn
08-13-2012, 11:54 AM
LOL i would pay real money to see that happen

Remember: it's only racist when the target is a democrat.

AmPat
08-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Maybe it's ok now to show White doctors aborting Black babies???

Gina
08-14-2012, 01:06 PM
What's laughable is the cartoon West "punching a black family and grabbing the family’s cash." Whoever made that ad is willfully ignorant to say West would do that when Obama IS doing that. Cash grabbing is a democrat thing.

Thorn
08-15-2012, 10:49 PM
What's laughable is the cartoon West "punching a black family and grabbing the family’s cash." Whoever made that ad is willfully ignorant to say West would do that when Obama IS doing that. Cash grabbing is a democrat thing.

No no, see, what he is snatching away from them is their Obama money. Understand?

Gina
08-16-2012, 02:37 AM
No no, see, what he is snatching away from them is their Obama money. Understand?

yeah true, he built that..

“It is a typical campaign ad,” said Shelton. “I don’t see it playing on stereotypes.”

Willful ignorance is so unattractive. Other possible explanations: stupidity, Shelton is a liar. Hm, maybe it's all of the above.

AmPat
08-16-2012, 11:30 AM
yeah true, he built that..

Willful ignorance is so unattractive. Other possible explanations: stupidity, Shelton is a liar. Hm, maybe it's all of the above.
In order of likeliness;
1. Liar
2. Stupid
3. Willfully ignorant

My guess is all three.

noonwitch
08-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Maybe it's ok now to show White doctors aborting Black babies???

I'm sure you could show that on a billboard at the Woodward Dream Cruise this weekend. It can't be any more graphic than the aborted fetus pictures that one group displays there every year.

ThinkingBig
08-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Allen West is the lowest form of life. He is human feces -- ignorant and too loud for his own good.

Rockntractor
08-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Allen West is the lowest form of life. He is human feces -- ignorant and too loud for his own good.

That is enough, you have nothing to contribute to this site but vulgarity.

Hubie
08-16-2012, 05:23 PM

Hmm... West is black, so I guess that makes you a racist for those comments. Congrats.

AmPat
08-17-2012, 10:10 PM
That is enough, you have nothing to contribute to this site but vulgarity.
Somebody called Roto-Rooter, I don't smell feces any more.:cool:

Rockntractor
08-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Somebody called Roto-Rooter, I don't smell feces any more.:cool:

His disrespectful comments concerning West sealed his demise, he was soon headed for the door anyway, I feel sorry for his parents I'm sure he has brought them nothing but shame.