PDA

View Full Version : Even nuns can be complete morons

Hubie
08-14-2012, 02:14 AM
Of course, this nun is more about liberal activism than serving Christ.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/11/science/behind-nuclear-breach-a-nuns-bold-fervor.html?_r=1&smid=fb-share

Now, Sister Megan Rice, 82, a Roman Catholic nun of the Society of the Holy Child Jesus, and two male accomplices have carried out what nuclear experts call the biggest security breach in the history of the nation’s atomic complex, making their way to the inner sanctum of the site where the United States keeps crucial nuclear bomb parts and fuel.

“Deadly force is authorized,” signs there read. “Halt!” Images of skulls emphasize the lethal danger.

With flashlights and bolt cutters, the three pacifists defied barbed wire as well as armed guards, video cameras and motion sensors at the Oak Ridge nuclear reservation in Tennessee early on July 28, a Saturday. They splashed blood on the Highly Enriched Uranium Materials Facility — a new windowless, half-billion-dollar plant encircled by enormous guard towers — and hung banners outside its walls.

“Swords into plowshares,” read one, quoting the Book of Isaiah. “Spears into pruning hooks.” The plant holds the nation’s main supply of highly enriched uranium, enough for thousands of nuclear weapons.

Question: where does a nun get enough blood to splash on something?

“We’re free as larks,” Sister Rice said of herself and her older religious friends. “We have no responsibilities — no children, no grandchildren, no jobs.”

“So the lot fell on us,” she said of fighting nuclear arms. “We can do it. But we all do share the responsibility equally.”

One might make an argument about your responsibility towards Christ...

Sister Rice served six months in federal prison. “It was a great eye-opener,” she said. “When you’ve had a prison experience, it minimizes your needs very much.”

Understanding punishment fail.

On Thursday in Knoxville, federal prosecutors shot back with an indictment of their own. They charged Sister Rice, Michael R. Walli, 63, of Washington, and Gregory I. Boertje-Obed, 57, of Duluth, Minn., with trespassing on government property (a misdemeanor) as well as its destruction and depredation (both felonies). The charges carry penalties of up to 16 years in prison and fines of up to $600,000. All pleaded not guilty.

I hope they get the maximum and without that "concurrent" nonsense. Their unrepentant, unapologetic attitudes demand a stiff punishment.

noonwitch
08-14-2012, 10:21 AM
They went beyond peaceful protest and into criminal tresspassing.

I participated in some protests against apartheid in the 80s-we never crossed any lines into criminal behavior. We just picketed at WMU and First of America bank in K-zoo, as both institutions had investments in South Africa at the time. Michigan had a law against state institutions investing in South Africa at the time. WMU created a separate finance structure with First of America to circumvent the law.

Of course, the student group who sponsored all the protests was led by a very conservative, Reformed Church of America pastor. He stated the purpose was to make students and the community aware so they could act on their consciences, not to disrupt anyone's daily activities.

Hubie
08-14-2012, 11:31 AM
I read that it wasn't pigs' blood or anything animal. It was human blood. What the hell???

noonwitch
08-14-2012, 02:03 PM
I read that it wasn't pigs' blood or anything animal. It was human blood. What the hell???

I was going to make a joke about how many knuckles she had to hit with a ruler to get enough blood to use, but then I thought "this is one sick woman, it's not fair to compare her to Sister Mary Elephant".