PDA

View Full Version : Now Why Would George Soros Want 341,000 Shares Of Facebook Stock?

NJCardFan
08-15-2012, 01:11 AM
Just saw this in a Tweet. George Soros dumped his shares of Citigroup, JP Morgan and Goldman-Sachs stock but bought 341,000 shares of Facebook stock. Wonder what what he's up to. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/soros-has-stake-in-facebook/

Rockntractor
08-15-2012, 01:26 AM
He is trying to save face.

NJCardFan
08-15-2012, 01:37 AM
He is trying to save face.

Uh uh. There's something rotten in Denmark.

Hubie
08-15-2012, 01:40 AM
Because Facebook is incredibly liberal, too?

LukeEDay
08-15-2012, 01:43 AM
Citigroup, JP Morgan, and Goldman Sacs are no longer endorsing obama, Mark Zuckerberg is. I look at this way, as being a day trader myself; Soros is an idiot. The true value of facebook's stock is less than $9.00 a share. He is going to lose his shirt over this, and I hope he is forced into bankruptcy for it.

Plus 341,000 shares of stock is not much. The stock at the close yesterday was $20.38 a share - That is only $6.95 million total that he paid for it. That isn't even a 10th of a percent of the company. Heck, Bono payed $90 million and only 1% of it. So there is no worries that Soros has shares in it.

About the 'true' value of the stock: It is obvious that Soros never heard of that. With the stock being $20.38 a share, and the true value being $9.00 a share; by the time this is all said and done, he will end up losing $11.38 share, which equals out to a $3.8 million dollar loss. I hope he chokes on it, because the stock has been dropping since it's IPO...

noonwitch
08-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Citigroup, JP Morgan, and Goldman Sacs are no longer endorsing obama, Mark Zuckerberg is. I look at this way, as being a day trader myself; Soros is an idiot. The true value of facebook's stock is less than $9.00 a share. He is going to lose his shirt over this, and I hope he is forced into bankruptcy for it.

Plus 341,000 shares of stock is not much. The stock at the close yesterday was $20.38 a share - That is only $6.95 million total that he paid for it. That isn't even a 10th of a percent of the company. Heck, Bono payed $90 million and only 1% of it. So there is no worries that Soros has shares in it.

About the 'true' value of the stock: It is obvious that Soros never heard of that. With the stock being $20.38 a share, and the true value being $9.00 a share; by the time this is all said and done, he will end up losing $11.38 share, which equals out to a $3.8 million dollar loss. I hope he chokes on it, because the stock has been dropping since it's IPO...

I am not good at understanding high finance, but your first paragraph is probably the reason. That, coupled with maybe some kind of plan to raise the value of facebook stock, that is.

SarasotaRepub
08-15-2012, 09:32 AM
I knew HawkGirl would find someone to buy her shares!!!! :friendly_wink:

AmPat
08-15-2012, 11:39 AM
I got out of the market ASAP last year. I don't gamble and I sure don't gamble on things that are sure losers or things I don't understand.

I'll stick to safer bets like Cripple Creek if I get the urge.

LukeEDay
08-15-2012, 11:54 AM
I am not good at understanding high finance, but your first paragraph is probably the reason. That, coupled with maybe some kind of plan to raise the value of facebook stock, that is.

Soros buying facebook stock will in no way increase the value of it.

Rockntractor
08-16-2012, 07:12 PM
I knew HawkGirl would find someone to buy her shares!!!! :friendly_wink:

Oh good! I have some shares in a cloud mining project I'll sell her, with the high price of silver it is now profitable to mine clouds.http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/expressifs/pensif/vil-doute.gif

LukeEDay
08-16-2012, 11:04 PM
People have to understand the difference between the 'True' value and 'Paper' value of a company before investing any money into said company. Not understanding it is the reason why so many people lose their shirts.

Here is another investment tip for you:

Check the companies profits and revenue (There is a difference) before investing in it.

Earnings: all the money the company brings in from operations. This is also known as the 'Gross Income' ..

Profits: This is what the company has left after paying all the costs of doing business. This is also known as Net Profit ...

Sure you all probably know what they are, but here is where the incite lies. A company has many ways of manipulating it's 'earnings'. However they do it will either increase or degrees their 'profits'. When you look at a companies earnings report. You want to look for things like layoffs/hiring more people, closing/opening departments, selling off/buying portions of the company, etc., etc.

Ie: In the past week Home Depot reported a higher profit, this was do to laying off hundreds of people who brought their earning up, which in turn increased their profit margin.

You will find a little trick that some companies will do is this: When it get towards the end of their fiscal year, and they find that they are under what they projected their 'earning' to be; they will temporarily lay people off, shut down a department, and/or sale off some things to get within the margin. This will intern raise their 'earnings', which will then increase their 'profits'... Then raise the value of the stock.

This is also one of the reasons why you see the stock price go up on a companies announcement of layoffs. It increases the 'earnings', which in turn increases their profits.

Starbuck
08-20-2012, 11:57 AM
*Bump*

Capstone just rated FB a 'Buy' with a price target of 26. Trading at 19.50 now.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/facebook-upgraded-to-buy-by-capstone-shares-up-2012-08-20

LukeEDay
08-20-2012, 02:15 PM
*Bump*

Capstone just rated FB a 'Buy' with a price target of 26. Trading at 19.50 now.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/facebook-upgraded-to-buy-by-capstone-shares-up-2012-08-20

You would be stupid to buy FB now. It is dropping like a rock. When it gets below $9.00 a share, I will think about it.

Starbuck
08-20-2012, 02:26 PM
You would be stupid to buy FB now. It is dropping like a rock. When it gets below $9.00 a share, I will think about it.

Woops. Too late. I sold at 20.:smile-new:

I thought you were a day trader....(?)

LukeEDay
08-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Woops. Too late. I sold at 20.:smile-new:

I thought you were a day trader....(?)

Whoa! Going up .50 cents, wow. You will get small fluctuations. The stock market is a gravy train. And just buying a stock because of goes up a few cents in one day is stupid (reason being because it can go up one day and fall off a cliff the next day). The key is will it go up for a couple of days, weeks, or months? With how FB has been since it's IPO, you will see it drop some more.

Starbuck
08-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Whoa! Going up .50 cents, wow. You will get small fluctuations. The stock market is a gravy train. And just buying a stock because of goes up a few cents in one day is stupid (reason being because it can go up one day and fall off a cliff the next day). The key is will it go up for a couple of days, weeks, or months? With how FB has been since it's IPO, you will see it drop some more.

But didn't you say you are a day trader? That's how it works in the day trading game (I'm not an habitual day trader, but I will get in and out quickly when the profit is there) isn't it? 50 cents here, a dollar there.
FB trades an average of 51 million shares a day. So, when I saw the volume was twice the average I sneaked in and bought 1000 shares. Couple hours later I'm back out with 500 dollars profit. I never even put up the money; I just margined it.
Seemed like the smart thing to do to me, but I don't want to mess up whatever you're doing. If you're making money, good for you; that's what we're supposed to be doing.:smile-new:

Adam Wood
08-20-2012, 07:47 PM
I've kind of snickered at stock in faceplant ever since I heard they were going public.

Here's a question everyone should ask themselves: if facepalm had to liquidate tomorrow, what would their assets be?

For all intents and purposes, they have no assets. They have an office building in New York, and a bunch of servers. Whoopie! Sure, there's a fairly serious advertising stream there, and some proprietary software (that's now been mimicked by google and others), but those assets are losing value faster than a double-wide in a sinkhole.

Honestly, I think $9 is probably a bit high for faceplant. I'm thinking more like $4-5 is where it will eventually end up in a year or 18 months.

Rockntractor
08-20-2012, 07:56 PM
I've kind of snickered at stock in faceplant ever since I heard they were going public.

Here's a question everyone should ask themselves: if facepalm had to liquidate tomorrow, what would their assets be?

For all intents and purposes, they have no assets. They have an office building in New York, and a bunch of servers. Whoopie! Sure, there's a fairly serious advertising stream there, and some proprietary software (that's now been mimicked by google and others), but those assets are losing value faster than a double-wide in a sinkhole.

Honestly, I think $9 is probably a bit high for faceplant. I'm thinking more like $4-5 is where it will eventually end up in a year or 18 months.

They will be gone just as fast as they arrived like most trends or fads or whatever the popular name is today.

LukeEDay
08-20-2012, 08:13 PM
But didn't you say you are a day trader? That's how it works in the day trading game (I'm not an habitual day trader, but I will get in and out quickly when the profit is there) isn't it? 50 cents here, a dollar there.
FB trades an average of 51 million shares a day. So, when I saw the volume was twice the average I sneaked in and bought 1000 shares. Couple hours later I'm back out with 500 dollars profit. I never even put up the money; I just margined it.
Seemed like the smart thing to do to me, but I don't want to mess up whatever you're doing. If you're making money, good for you; that's what we're supposed to be doing.:smile-new:

I look at the history of companies before I make a decision to buy into it or not. And looking at the history of Facebook since it's IPO. It is not, as far as I am concerned, a good buy. Once it is around for a year or so, and has a good graph to look at, I will update my decision.

With the way the rules are for trading, unless you have a certain amount in an account with your broker. You can not buy and sell the stock in the same day. You are required, to wait at least three days for the stock to settle before selling it. With most platforms, like E-Trade, Scott Trade, etc; it is $25,000.00 in the account. If you bought 1,000 shares at $20.00 a share, then you would have only payed $20,000.00, which would have put you under the limit. Unless, you do have $25,000 in the account.

What platform do you use? I use Scottrade, myself.

The 'True' value of facebook is $9.00 a share, max. When it was put through for the IPO they inflated the price to pay all the investors. All the hype got the best of it. Now is one of the fasting dropping stocks in wall street history.

Starbuck
08-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I know all that about day trading qualifications. I've been trading since 1973.

Look at the gross income of FB; 2007 thru 2011:112M, 148M, 554M, 1.48B, 2.85B. That ain't bad!

Then look at net income, 2007 thru 2011: <138M>, <56M>, 229M, 606M, 1B. And what's wrong with that?!

Anyway, as I said, I got in and then got out. It was opportunity to make money and I took it. Tomorrow I'll go on to something else, maybe, although probably not.

LukeEDay
08-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I know all that about day trading qualifications. I've been trading since 1973.

Look at the gross income of FB; 2007 thru 2011:112M, 148M, 554M, 1.48B, 2.85B. That ain't bad!

Then look at net income, 2007 thru 2011: <138M>, <56M>, 229M, 606M, 1B. And what's wrong with that?!

Anyway, as I said, I got in and then got out. It was opportunity to make money and I took it. Tomorrow I'll go on to something else, maybe, although probably not.

As long as it worked out for you is all that matters. Hopefully it continues that way.

Adam Wood
08-20-2012, 10:42 PM
The 'True' value of facebook is $9.00 a share, max.Yeah, I just think that $9 is a pretty high-end max on that. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but when I see solid companies like GCO and TSCO that actually make and build things and have actual assets and they were trading around $10-14 not all that long ago, then $9 for a dot-com that is almost entirely a virtual company just strikes me as kinda high. Just my personal thumbnail. YMMV.

Now is one of the fasting dropping stocks in wall street history.And that's why I call it faceplant. :biggrin-new:

LukeEDay
08-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I just think that $9 is a pretty high-end max on that. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but when I see solid companies like GCO and TSCO that actually make and build things and have actual assets and they were trading around $10-14 not all that long ago, then $9 for a dot-com that is almost entirely a virtual company just strikes me as kinda high. Just my personal thumbnail. YMMV.

And that's why I call it faceplant. :biggrin-new:

This craze over Facebook reminds me of the Dot-Com bubble of the 90's. That was ugly.

Adam Wood
08-21-2012, 08:00 AM
This craze over Facebook reminds me of the Dot-Com bubble of the 90's. That was ugly.Yep. I figure faceplant is the new pets.com.

LukeEDay
08-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Yep. I figure faceplant is the new pets.com.

Yup. And the dot-com bubble is one of the main reasons I am so cautious with the stock.