PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma police captain sues department over mosque assignment

Retread
08-17-2012, 12:23 PM
"A Tulsa police officer and devout Christian is suing his department after being punished for refusing to go to a mosque for a mandatory cultural event."

More (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/16/oklahoma-cop-sues-after-department-tried-to-make-him-go-to-mosque-for-event/?test=latestnewss)

LukeEDay
08-17-2012, 12:31 PM
It is nice to see that police department is tolerant. I hope he wins.

Hubie
08-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Reverse the situation. Hypothetically make it a Muslim cop refusing to attend a Christian worship service. Kind of puts a whole different face on the issue, doesn't it? There's no way a Muslim cop would be punished for that. In fact, he'd probably be called a hero and have the ACLU behind him.

LukeEDay
08-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Reverse the situation. Hypothetically make it a Muslim cop refusing to attend a Christian worship service. Kind of puts a whole different face on the issue, doesn't it? There's no way a Muslim cop would be punished for that. In fact, he'd probably be called a hero and have the ACLU behind him.

On top of the praises and back-patting, he would get an instant promotion and pay raise.

Hubie
08-18-2012, 06:58 PM
On top of the praises and back-patting, he would get an instant promotion and pay raise.

And a phone call from Teh Wun himself and personal invitation to the White Mosque... er... House.

LukeEDay
08-18-2012, 07:00 PM
And a phone call from Teh Wun himself and personal invitation to the White Mosque... er... House.

Exactly ...

Odysseus
08-19-2012, 01:17 AM

Given what Muslims do when they go to Christian churches in their own countries, I'd be relieved if he refused to attend. Click here for the supporting documentation: http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages/ChristianAttacks.htm

Apache
08-19-2012, 01:45 AM
I know from which he speaks...:cold:

We did an event for such a place, off of I-70. I have NEVER been so looked down upon in my life! They caused more damage to equipment than the job paid... They knew it, and didn't care... ROPMA!

Novaheart
08-19-2012, 11:05 AM

The way I read the article, it wasn't a worship service.

I'm as anti-muzzie as the next person, but the cop's case is weak. He's maintaining that his religion requires him to try to convert the muzzies but he can't do that in uniform so it's religious discrimination. Wrong. He can't evangelize Latino in the Latino neighborhood while he's in uniform either, but he still has to do cultural outreach as part of his job. Of course, it's hilarious when nondenominational upstarts try to "convert" Catholics to Christianity, but it happens.

Zeus
08-19-2012, 12:54 PM
I think he may lose the case on the face of it but win on the punishment handed out as being excessive.

Hubie
08-19-2012, 01:56 PM
The way I read the article,

And therein lies the problem.

it wasn't a worship service.

Really?

"...a promotional flier for the event cited in the suit states the event would include meetings with Muslim community leaders, a tour of the center's mosque, talks on Islam, as well as a 45-minute prayer service."

What do you think the ACLU, Barry Lynn, the Freedom From Religion Foundation and a host of other nitwits would call an "event" with talks on Christianity and

A 45-MINUTE PRAYER SERVICE???

If you answer anything other than "a Christian worship service," then you're even dumber than I originally thought.

Novaheart
08-19-2012, 02:38 PM
And therein lies the problem.

Really?

"...a promotional flier for the event cited in the suit states the event would include meetings with Muslim community leaders, a tour of the center's mosque, talks on Islam, as well as a 45-minute prayer service."

What do you think the ACLU, Barry Lynn, the Freedom From Religion Foundation and a host of other nitwits would call an "event" with talks on Christianity and

A 45-MINUTE PRAYER SERVICE???

If you answer anything other than "a Christian worship service," then you're even dumber than I originally thought.

I did indeed miss that because I based my response on the quote of the person involved. This:

"This event is compelling me to go to a venue where a group of individuals is prepared to discuss their (Islamic) faith," Fields said during a May 2012 deposition, the transcript of which was obtained by FoxNews.com. "And in my faith, I have a duty to proselytize my faith to people (who) don't subscribe to my faith. I can't do that in uniform. And so therein lies the conflict or moral dilemma I face."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/16/oklahoma-cop-sues-after-department-tried-to-make-him-go-to-mosque-for-event/?test=latestnewss#ixzz241CY9nLZ

I sincerely apologize for that error. However, I still don't see the problem. It's not like you are going to burst into flames if you observe other people's tradition. He's being paid for the event, and while I don't approve of it, it's harmless. No one is going to force him to pray to a foreign god (or even his own God but in Arabic) .

When I was a kid in Catholic school, I wasn't required to go to mass on Wednesday morning, but I did anyway. By the same token, when Monsignor took us to the synagogue to learn about Judaism, none of us was compelled to spout Hebrew or revert to Judaism.

Diversity events for police officers are essential if you intend to have a community police force. If you intend to have an occupation army, then such things don't matter.