PDA

View Full Version : Maher: Black people don’t have picture ID, they ‘take the bus because they’re poor'

Gina
08-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Maher on voter ID: Black people don’t have picture ID since they ‘take the bus because they’re poor’ [VIDEO]
Link (http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/15/maher-on-voter-id-black-people-dont-have-picture-id-since-they-take-the-bus-because-theyre-poor/#ixzz23vLcTXV6)

Voter identification has become a red-hot issue in this presidential election cycle. One side says it’s reasonable to expect someone to identify themselves before exercising their right to vote to insure there is no fraud. And the other side suggests that by forcing someone to obtain picture identification places an undue hurdle in their ability to exercise a right.

On HuffPost Live on Tuesday, the Huffington Post’s new online streaming video section, HBO “Real Time” host Bill Maher lashed out against proponents of voter identification and likened such laws to requiring aptitude tests of “tea baggers” wishing to vote.

“The voter registration laws that they’re trying to pass — they’re basically suppressing the vote,” Maher said. “Voter ID — you need a picture ID now to vote, you know. We’re going to propose, ‘Yeah, we’ll give you that, but then we get to give the tea baggers a literacy test.’ If you’re going to make poor black people jump through a hoop to vote, then we’re going to make tea baggers answer the question: Is Africa a country or a continent? Name a country that speaks French. You know, things like that.”

His argument is that though it sounds reasonable, it’s not really an issue and is potentially motivated by Republicans wishing to suppress the black vote.

“Because it sounds reasonable,” he said. “You know — if you don’t look beneath the surface. ‘Why shouldn’t people go out and get a picture ID? Well, because you know — first of all, never call Republicans racist. That’s not what they are. However, they did find something they do that it would be harder for a lot of black people to do. Yes, as you say nobody does this. Nobody like impersonates other people. I think it happened 10 times … not 10 percent of the time, but 10 times.”

But Maher pinpointed what in his view is the hurdle the GOP is attempting to place in front of people to disenfranchise their vote. According to the HBO host, Republicans have apparently discovered poor blacks don’t drive, and that they take the bus. Therefore, they don’t need a picture ID and picking up on that, in his estimation, is how the GOP can succeed in obstructing the black vote.

“So it’s crazy — but obviously Republicans, because they love the country and because the Constitution, they ask themselves what is that thing that maybe black people can’t get to? What do we have that they don’t have? Well, they take the bus because they’re poor. So they don’t have a car. They don’t need a picture ID. You know, Tagg Romney doesn’t have this problem. He has a picture ID.”
Elitist. Racist. Envious. Ignorant. etc.

Rockntractor
08-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Next he will be saying that Blacks don't have picture ID's because they are afraid the camera will steal their souls and that it is a religious right.

Bailey
08-18-2012, 02:46 PM
After all these years that there has been a war on poverty you'd think there be no more poor people.

LukeEDay
08-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Maher proves once again that he is a moron.

Lanie
08-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Maher on voter ID: Black people don’t have picture ID since they ‘take the bus because they’re poor’ [VIDEO]
Link (http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/15/maher-on-voter-id-black-people-dont-have-picture-id-since-they-take-the-bus-because-theyre-poor/#ixzz23vLcTXV6)

Elitist. Racist. Envious. Ignorant. etc.

I wish he'd get off the stage. Was he serious or was he joking? Either way, he needs to get off the stage. First of all, we have no documentation that most blacks don't have a license. Second of all, you still need a picture ID, even if you don't drive. My mother doesn't have a license, but she has a picture ID for various reasons.

Hubie
08-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Next he will be saying that Blacks don't have picture ID's because they are afraid the camera will steal their souls and that it is a religious right.

Well, it certainly can't be because of the cost:

http://www.thepiratescove.us/2008/04/28/what-does-a-state-id-cost/

So, exactly how much does an ID cost in the 50 States? Not a DL, mind you, just a basic ID card

Alabama – $23
Alaska – Under 60 is $15, over 60 is free
Arizona – $12. Over 65 is free
Arkansas – $10
California – $23. Free for those over 62. $7 for low income folks
Colorado – $10.50. Free for those over 60
Connecticut – $15
Delaware -$5
Florida – $3 whole friggin’ dollars!!!!!!
Georgia -$20 for 5 years, $35 for $10 years
Hawaii – $15 for under 65, $10 for over 65
Idaho – $7.50. Renewals can even be done by mail
Illinois – $20, free for seniors over 65with no renewal necessary
Indiana – $13 under 65, $10 for over 65, last for 6 years, which is the state this whole kerfuffle is over
Iowa – $5
Kansas – $18 under 65, $14 over 65
Kentucky – $12
Louisiana – Average $21, free for over 60
Maine – $5
Maryland – $15, free for those over 65
Massachusetts – $15
Michigan – $10, free for seniors. Oh, and those with mental impairments (hint, hint)
Minnesota – $15.50, $10.75 for those 65 and up
Mississippi – $13
Missouri – $11
Montana – $8
Nebraska – $23.75 (lots of different fees for those under 21)
Nevada – $11.25. For 65 and up, new is $6.25, renewal is $2.25
New Hampshire – haven’t been able to find the cost, even at the New Hampshire DMV or New Hampshire’s main site
New Jersey – $24
New Mexico – $5 for 5 years, $8 for 10 years
New York – Depending on length, $9 to $14. 62 and up, $6.50
North Carolina – $10
North Dakota – $8
Ohio – $8.50
Oklahoma – $10
Oregon – $29 for 8 years
Pennsylvania – $10, and they make it really, really easy
Rhode Island – $15, free for 59 and up
South Carolina – $5
South Dakota – $8
Tennessee – $12.50. For those 65 and up, they never expire
Texas – $15. 60 and up, $5 and never has to be renewed
Utah – $18. Never expires for those 65 and up
Vermont – $15, $10 if you get Social Security Income
Virginia – $10
Washington – $20
West Virginia – can’t find an actual figure
Wisconsin – $28 for eight years
Wyoming – $10, never expires
Washington, D.C. – How much you got? In reality, $20. Cannot trade your Tech-9 for one, either.

Looks like Oregon is the highest at $29. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should be without a state issued ID of some sort.

*Actually, that list is 5 years old. This one shows some increases (with Oregon still highest at $33.50), but is not dated:

http://dmvanswers.com/questions/419/How-much-do-state-ID-cards-cost

JB
08-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Is he saying a black person would have no problem passing a literacy test whereas a white person would? Bill, you're so stupid I just can't follow. Either way it's incredibly racist.

And since he is an ivory tower, limousine elitist limo liberal, he has obviously not been on or anywhere near a bus lately. There are far more whites riding buses than blacks.

JB
08-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Well, it certainly can't be because of the cost:Because of the recent Voter ID uproar, Pennsylvania is making it free. Or they are about to. I don't keep current on where it is because I don't give a shit.

SarasotaRepub
08-18-2012, 10:10 PM
This moronic reasoning the Dems use in making this an "issue" has always made me laugh.

Black America...your Dem "leaders" think you're too stupid to get/afford a pic ID. How many years have
the Libtards been using this false canard??

Sorry Libtards, there is NO legit reason a person in this country should not have a photo id. NONE.

So Black America, are you too stupid or lazy to get an ID??? Your Dem leaders think so.

They disguise it as righteous indignation but they really think you are just children that need taking care of.

Hubie
08-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Because of the recent Voter ID uproar, Pennsylvania is making it free. Or they are about to.

Every state could make it free and so easy a caveman could do it and the left would still bitch and moan about "disenfranchisement."

I don't keep current on where it is because I don't give a shit.

Heh.

Adam Wood
08-18-2012, 10:47 PM
I wish he'd get off the stage. Was he serious or was he joking? Either way, he needs to get off the stage. First of all, we have no documentation that most blacks don't have a license. Second of all, you still need a picture ID, even if you don't drive. My mother doesn't have a license, but she has a picture ID for various reasons.He was parroting what he read at the DUmp. I saw this exact "suggestion," almost verbatim, on the DUmp about a week ago.

I wonder what Bill Maher's DU name is. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was MoPaul.

Bailey
08-19-2012, 07:36 AM

http://www.thepiratescove.us/2008/04/28/what-does-a-state-id-cost/

Looks like Oregon is the highest at $29. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should be without a state issued ID of some sort.

*Actually, that list is 5 years old. This one shows some increases (with Oregon still highest at $33.50), but is not dated:

http://dmvanswers.com/questions/419/How-much-do-state-ID-cards-cost

No I think it would be smart to issue free ID's where ever there is a Voter ID law, at least for PR sake.

SarasotaRepub
08-19-2012, 08:30 AM
No I think it would be smart to issue free ID's where ever there is a Voter ID law, at least for PR sake.

Nope, sorry. The Libtards would STILL have a problem with free. Maybe if you offered to carry all the poor folk to the DMV office...:rolleyes: :biggrin-new:

Unreconstructed Reb
08-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Nope, sorry. The Libtards would STILL have a problem with free. Maybe if you offered to carry all the poor folk to the DMV office...:rolleyes: :biggrin-new:

Better yet, we should pay poor blacks to get a picture ID.

Gina
08-19-2012, 01:11 PM

Michigan – $10, free for seniors. Oh, and those with mental impairments (hint, hint) <~ what are you trying to say? :frown-new::biggrin-new:

:friendly_wink:

txradioguy
08-19-2012, 01:20 PM
I wonder what Bill Maher's DU name is. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was MoPaul.

My guess is MasterNemesis