PDA

View Full Version : Prague student denied diploma for commencement speech

Rockntractor
08-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Kaitlin Nootbaar, valedictorian of Prague High School, was denied her diploma after her commencement speech strayed from an administration-approved version that didn’t include the word “hell.” Prague is a community located about 60 miles east of Oklahoma City.

BY MEGAN ROLLAND | Published: August 21, 2012 Comment on this article 1

PRAGUE — David Nootbaar said it’s sadly ironic that his daughter, Kaitlin, was denied her diploma for saying “hell” in her valedictorian speech for Prague High School, where the mascot is the Red Devil.

“In church on Sunday they say ‘hell’ at least four times,” Nootbaar said, standing across from the school district’s office, which includes an electronic marquee showing a small demon holding a pitchfork.

The story of a school withholding a valedictorian’s diploma received international media attention Monday, and Kaitlin Nootbaar was bombarded with supportive messages on Facebook, as well as friend requests.

“First off, I would like to thank everyone who is backing me on this, especially my friends and family. And to those who don’t agree with me, that is fine also. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion,” she wrote in a Facebook post Monday.

David Nootbaar said his daughter used the word in reference to not knowing what she was going to do after graduation. “Who the hell knows?”

Diplomas are largely symbolic. Academic transcripts showing completed courses, however, can be essential, and the state doesn’t empower schools to withhold them.

David Nootbaar said the district has turned over his daughter’s transcript, and she started her first day Monday at Southwestern Oklahoma State University in Weatherford on a full-ride scholarship.
School chief’s response

Still, the Prague School District’s handbook indicates the district can withhold diplomas, and — contrary to state law — transcripts for unpaid fines or outstanding debts.

It states nothing about inappropriate behavior during commencement but does require that students participate in commencement exercises.

Rick Martin, superintendent of the district, located about 60 miles east of Oklahoma City, issued a statement: “Speakers are allowed significant freedom in their remarks, but all speeches must be approved in advance as being appropriate for graduation exercises. In this case, Ms. Nootbar prepared an appropriate speech, which was approved by the high school principal. Unfortunately she did not present the speech as written and used language that was inappropriate for a graduation exercise.”

He misspelled Nootbaar’s name in the statement.

Martin said the principal requested a private apology from Kaitlin Nootbaar for her transgression before releasing her diploma.

David Nootbaar said he wouldn’t let his daughter apologize for what he said is clearly a matter of free speech.

“I was very proud of it,” her father said. “I think she did a wonderful job, and she didn’t even want to give a speech.”

Martin said that the principal’s request was reasonable and “in keeping with established federal case law interpreting the First Amendment.”

Martin said he hopes the family will contact him privately so the matter may be resolved.

However, David Nootbaar said the school district wouldn’t return his telephone call.

“They won’t answer anybody’s calls,” he said. “They won’t talk to anybody.”

Kaitlin Nootbaar also said on her Facebook page that she loved Prague.

“I don’t hate the school either, the teachers have always been great!” she wrote. “I don’t feel that the whole town should suffer from the mistakes of a few.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/prague-student-denied-diploma-for-commencement-speech/article/3702755#ixzz24DqnWMVL

Novaheart
08-21-2012, 09:30 PM
“ Everyone is entitled to their own opinion,” she wrote in a Facebook post Monday.

It's nice to see that you can granulate from a pubic high school without a full command of the English language.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion.

Rockntractor
08-21-2012, 09:34 PM
It's nice to see that you can granulate from a pubic high school without a full command of the English language.

They won't give her a diploma because she said hell, but the school mascot is the devil!http://gfxlovers.com/smilies/imgs/disdain/disdain007.gif (http://gfxlovers.com/smilies)

Retread
08-21-2012, 09:43 PM

FYI - my English (MS) degreed spouse says either is considered correct.

Novaheart
08-21-2012, 10:03 PM
FYI - my English (MS) degreed spouse says either is considered correct.

Your English degreed spouse has been corrupted by the feminist assault on the English language. "Their" is not the gender neutral pronoun, it's the plural possessive. I beg your spouse to fight the corruption.

And tell your beloved that the "t" in often is always silent, regardless of how many yahoos get jobs on television.

FlaGator
08-22-2012, 09:34 AM
They won't give her a diploma because she said hell, but the school mascot is the devil!http://gfxlovers.com/smilies/imgs/disdain/disdain007.gif (http://gfxlovers.com/smilies)

They won't give her a diploma because she changed the speech that was approved. I believe she did this knowing that the word 'Hell' would cause trouble with approval so she used the word 'heck' to get it approved.

In this case deception should never be rewarded.

Rockntractor
08-22-2012, 09:52 AM
They won't give her a diploma because she changed the speech that was approved. I believe she did this knowing that the word 'Hell' would cause trouble with approval so she used the word 'heck' to get it approved.

In this case deception should never be rewarded.

You are correct but I still can't help but snicker about it when I see the little devil mascot, Satan is actually the mascot for the dept of education.

noonwitch
08-22-2012, 11:29 AM
If this is the case they were discussing on the news when I was reading and only paying partial attention, all the school is asking the girl to do is to apologize, then they will give her the diploma.

She's screaming about her First Amendment rights when all she really needs to do is suck it up, apologize and learn her lesson about appropriate speech in formal settings.

Rockntractor
08-22-2012, 11:40 AM
If this is the case they were discussing on the news when I was reading and only paying partial attention, all the school is asking the girl to do is to apologize, then they will give her the diploma.

She's screaming about her First Amendment rights when all she really needs to do is suck it up, apologize and learn her lesson about appropriate speech in formal settings.

Yep all they want is an apology

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2

Starbuck
08-22-2012, 12:54 PM
They won't give her a diploma because she changed the speech that was approved. ...........

That's the issue!

The school made their objections known, and asked her to change the speech.

We don't know whether she fought the issue or not, but she did acquiesce.

The she reneged, when the governing body (or person) was helpless to object!

Deception or cowardice is at hand here. She should learn to fight the battle and accept the outcome. Stabbing your opponent in the back is poor form.

Retread
08-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Your English degreed spouse has been corrupted by the feminist assault on the English language. "Their" is not the gender neutral pronoun, it's the plural possessive. I beg your spouse to fight the corruption.

And tell your beloved that the "t" in often is always silent, regardless of how many yahoos get jobs on television.

She replies 'please join the rest of us in the current century'