PDA

View Full Version : My Dog

NJCardFan
08-22-2012, 12:09 PM
My dog has been throwing up a lot. He's not eating but he's drinking. We have an appointment with our vet at 3pm. According to what I've read he might have an intestinal blockage. I'm very worried about him.

Rockntractor
08-22-2012, 02:48 PM
I hope he does okay, there are lot's of things other than a blockage that can cause those symptoms, I have had them swallow bone fragments that were too large that caused trouble.

Gina
08-22-2012, 06:48 PM
He doesn't have parvo then, which is good. A dog I had years ago contracted that (he wouldn't eat OR drink) and within 3 days __________

I hope everything is ok!

NJCardFan
08-22-2012, 10:27 PM
He's at the hospital. He's having surgery tonight.

SarasotaRepub
08-22-2012, 10:40 PM
He's at the hospital. He's having surgery tonight.

Yikes! Hope it works out ok NJ!!

NJCardFan
08-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Yikes! Hope it works out ok NJ!!

Me too. Don't know what I'd do if I lost him.

SarasotaRepub
08-23-2012, 09:27 AM
So what did they find NJ???

NJCardFan
08-23-2012, 09:58 AM
So what did they find NJ???

Surgery was finally completed at 6am this morning. They found a clump of Q-tips in his intestine that created a blockage. They had to remove a section of his intestine that she described as dead tissue. He's in pretty bad shape. Dr. says we're not out of the woods yet and the next few days are crucial.

obx
08-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Good luck with your dog. I pulling for you both.

Gina
08-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Aw, poor puppy. :frown-new:

SarasotaRepub
08-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Shoot! Hope he pulls through!! Q-Tips!!!

Starbuck
08-23-2012, 04:31 PM
http://www.cvbaptist.com/web_images/DoggiePrayer.jpg
:love_heart:

NJCardFan
08-23-2012, 08:28 PM
My wife went to see him today and he's recovering and the prognosis is good, however they're concerned that it's not draining a whole lot right now. They are going to try to feed him tonight. Here he is today:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/334077_126988657447063_320120459_o.jpg

NJCardFan
08-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Just spoke with the nurse and he's making progress, standing better than in the pic above. They haven't offered him food yet but are going to, they said, probably around 2am.

Starbuck
08-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Awriiiight. Looking good. He's got heart.:smile-new:

SaintLouieWoman
08-23-2012, 10:55 PM
What a good boy. Hope he keeps out of the Q-tips in the future. I've heard of dogs having surgery after eating a sock or piece of a rug.

Glad to hear that there was good news!

NJCardFan
08-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Just got back from seeing him. He still hasn't eaten and he wouldn't eat for us. Wife said he looked better than he did yesterday. He's hurting and he just got meds when we got there and he was knocked out for the most part. I'll feel better once he eats something. We're going to bring up boiled chicken and rice tomorrow for him.

SarasotaRepub
08-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Sounds like much better news NJ!!! :thumbsup:

SaintLouieWoman
08-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Just got back from seeing him. He still hasn't eaten and he wouldn't eat for us. Wife said he looked better than he did yesterday. He's hurting and he just got meds when we got there and he was knocked out for the most part. I'll feel better once he eats something. We're going to bring up boiled chicken and rice tomorrow for him.

His best medicine is probably seeing you and your wife. Hope he continues to improve.

Rockntractor
08-24-2012, 06:51 PM
What a good boy. Hope he keeps out of the Q-tips in the future. I've heard of dogs having surgery after eating a sock or piece of a rug.

Glad to hear that there was good news!

I have to wonder if they were the plastic stem type, I never buy those and I would think paper ones would have broken down.

NJCardFan
08-24-2012, 10:29 PM
We use the paper ones but this must have been going on for a while if they found a wad of them. I would of thought he hated them considering it's what my wife uses to clean his ears. Maybe that's why he was eating them to get rid of them. Anyway, wife spoke with the hospital this evening and he is improving but still not eating. His sodium levels were high so they're adjusting that and they did another ultrasound and it came out OK, thank God.

Hawkgirl
08-24-2012, 10:49 PM
I hope he heals up quick.

I lost my cat a couple of weeks ago (the cat I posted about earlier this year) due to liver failure. He was misdiagnosed as having the flu. He got better before he got worse and I had to put him down.

I cried like a baby at the vet's office.

I hope your's is a happy ending NJ.

Rockntractor
08-24-2012, 10:51 PM
We use the paper ones but this must have been going on for a while if they found a wad of them. I would of thought he hated them considering it's what my wife uses to clean his ears. Maybe that's why he was eating them to get rid of them. Anyway, wife spoke with the hospital this evening and he is improving but still not eating. His sodium levels were high so they're adjusting that and they did another ultrasound and it came out OK, thank God.

This deal is going to cost you some money, it will be nice to get him stable and home.

NJCardFan
08-25-2012, 11:09 AM
This deal is going to cost you some money, it will be nice to get him stable and home.

It's already cost us $7200, and it has wiped us out.

Bondai
08-25-2012, 11:19 AM

Sorry to hear about all your trouble.It's never an easy decision when dealing with family pets. They become part of the family and it's not just a matter of putting them down because it's convenient, they are like our kids and we will spend whatever amount it takes to make them well. I know how it is, 3 years ago I lost my Yorkie KOKO. We had been together for 9 years and when he died it hurt, bad.

I'll say a prayer for you and your pooch and I hope everything turns out good.

Rockntractor
08-25-2012, 06:55 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/tumblr_m92wk2bQOv1re4ne0o1_500.jpg

SarasotaRepub
08-25-2012, 09:37 PM
ROCK!!!!!
:biggrin-new:

Sorry those costs are so damn high NJ.

Rockntractor
08-25-2012, 09:41 PM
ROCK!!!!!
:biggrin-new:

Sorry those costs are so damn high NJ.

It was on the dog shaming site.

NJCardFan
08-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Really Rock? My dog might die so you thought it best to joke about it?

SaintLouieWoman
08-25-2012, 10:34 PM

So glad that your dog is doing better, but sorry to hear about that bill. Those vets in NJ must be really expensive, but it sounds like they did a marathon with that surgery.

Have you paid it already? Maybe see if you can talk to the vet. I've had them reduce the bill on occasion.

When Bella tore her side open, we talked to the vet and she admitted that a couple of things they had proposed weren't really necessary for a dog that young. Bella got along just fine.

I'm just glad that you have a vet with the skill to make your pup better. Try to talk to the vet; maybe he or she will have mercy.

A friend here in Sarasota has a spaniel with heart problems. She said that over the last year they've had over 10k in bills, but can't afford it.

NJCardFan
08-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Not only does this vet have no mercy, they wanted more money as a deposit today in case he has to stay longer. However, after speaking with the tech a little while ago, as long as he isn't vomiting or retching he should be able to come home tomorrow.

Rockntractor
08-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Really Rock? My dog might die so you thought it best to joke about it?

I saw that and thought your dog isn't the only animal to eat Qtips, no malice intended.

SarasotaRepub
08-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Not only does this vet have no mercy, they wanted more money as a deposit today in case he has to stay longer. However, after speaking with the tech a little while ago, as long as he isn't vomiting or retching he should be able to come home tomorrow.

After you get your pooch back I could arrange for an "accidental" Turbo Laser strike on the Vet Office...:biggrin-new:

http://www.theforcechronicles.com/Asteroid.jpg

NJCardFan
08-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful but there comes a time when you think you're being taken advantage of.

SaintLouieWoman
08-25-2012, 11:11 PM

That's really a shame that they couldn't have been kinder, but at least it sounds like they did a good job.

I quit going to the first vet we found here in Sarasota. When SR was still in the hospital with the stroke, Blue was so sick and couldn't walk. He had been getting so terribly thin. A neighbor helped me take him in. Although skinny, he was a very big dog and I couldn't get him into my car.

The vet didn't do much, but kept him for the day. There was no overnight, no discernible treatment. I thought that it was time for poor Blue, but wanted him to be home for SR. I was mad when that vet charged me $400+ and said Blue was walking. 2 techs carried him out on the bed the neighbor and I had carried him in on. He couldn't walk. I had a terrible time getting him into the house, took at least a half hour and lots of tears.

I never went back there. Poor Blue had cancer and it wasn't diagnosed for so long. They finally told me when we brought Blue in for the last time. I wouldn't have let my heart dog suffer if I had known his condition earlier.

Yours is more cheerful, other than the money, which is really tough. At least he'll be coming home with you and your wife. Hope you can get him tomorrow.

NJCardFan
08-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Just want to let you all know that he's home. He's a little mopey but that's to be expected. He has a slew of meds to take including regular old pepcid AC. He ate from my wife's hand when he got home and took some meds. He's resting in his new bed we bought him. The only concern is that he tries to lick his incisions and if he keeps that up we'll have to put him in one of those collars. We'll keep you all posted.

NJCardFan
08-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Update: Rocky is now eating. Boiled chicken. It's something. Here he is convalescing in his new bed:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/280122_128342217311707_335776445_o.jpg

SaintLouieWoman
08-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Update: Rocky is now eating. Boiled chicken. It's something. Here he is convalescing in his new bed:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/280122_128342217311707_335776445_o.jpg

What a cutie. I'll bet he's so glad to be home. And I suspect he loves all that special attention and boiled chicken, too.

SarasotaRepub
08-27-2012, 09:56 AM
He's a lucky dogger!!! :smile-new:

NJCardFan
08-27-2012, 10:48 AM
He is. The trouble now is giving him his meds. That is a contest.

SaintLouieWoman
08-27-2012, 12:29 PM
He is. The trouble now is giving him his meds. That is a contest.

Blue used to take multiple pills a day (probably 8 or more). He was a challenge. What generally worked was putting the pill in the middle of a peanut butter ball that was wrapped with a little lunchmeat. Then we branched out and used the pills wrapped in a bit of cream cheese, sometimes with lunch meat. Our spoiled little brat then started demanding better lunch meat than the stuff I got for him. He wanted Boar's Head.

Geeze, I miss him so much. It's easier without having to worry about pilling a dog so much or worrying if he'd have another seizure or picking him up when his hind legs didn't work, but really loved that pooch.Thanksgiving will be a year.

NJCardFan
08-27-2012, 10:27 PM
The challenge for us is that we are limited on what we can give him to eat. Right now, PB has too much fat for him(with pancreatitus you must limit fat intake). But we learned from the vet how to properly give a dog a pill and it's been working.

Gina
08-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Glad to hear he's moving right along. :smile-new:

NJCardFan
08-28-2012, 05:23 PM
He's coming along just fine so far. His demeanor and everything is improving every day. He's still reluctant to eat from a bowl although he ate his chicken from a bowl for a bit this afternoon. He still hasn't pooped yet but I think that's coming soon. He didn't really start eating in earnest until Sunday. Also, today he barked for the first time and he's been wagging his tail. We're still cautiously optimistic.

Gina
08-28-2012, 06:59 PM
:smile-new:

NJCardFan
09-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Final update: Rocky had his last post surgical follow up today and the surgeon gave him 2 thumbs up. He's eating heartily and pooping regularly. Thanks to all for the good thoughts. Rocky and I appreciate it.

Bondai
09-05-2012, 05:33 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::woot::woot::applause::applaus e: