PDA

View Full Version : exactly what constitutes a windfall?

Bill inGA
06-10-2008, 12:54 PM
This is sweet! A DUmmy asks a thoughful question, shows some independent thought.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=389&topic_id=3420327&mesg_id=3420347

ProdigalJunkMail (1000+ posts) Tue Jun-10-08 12:40 PM
Response to Original message
1. exactly what constitutes a windfall?
that term scares me...

sP

And I love this. This one thinks he has the answer. Instead it is just showing it's ignorance.

Breeze54 (1000+ posts) Tue Jun-10-08 12:44 PM
Response to Reply #1
3. They made $36 BILLION in PROFITS!!!

Uh oh! More indepent thought....This DUmmy wants to granite.

ProdigalJunkMail (1000+ posts) Tue Jun-10-08 12:47 PM
Response to Reply #3
4. but how much of that is % and how much is volume?
the company i work for makes MUCH higher margins than the oil companies do...are we making windfall profits? they DO have the most utilized product on the planet...could it be that they are not gouging us and it is volume that is to blame for those numbers?

i am all for doing away with their $17billion in tax breaks...but windfall profits is an awfully vague term...

sP

patriot45
06-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Here is a good definition of a windfall profit, from Boortz.

Ok .. first of all, just what are "windfall profits?" Does anyone have a handy definition? Might I offer one? Damn right I might. Try this: "A tax levied on a industry by a politician eager to pander to economically ignorant voters who, for whatever reason, are upset with that industry."

3rd-try
06-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Yep. And O'Reilly drives me nuts every time he stumps against evil big oil. Like our "public servants", none of 'em could change the oil in their own damn car, but know all about how an oil company needs to be run.

Zeus
06-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Here is a good definition of a windfall profit, from Boortz.

Ok .. first of all, just what are "windfall profits?" Does anyone have a handy definition? Might I offer one? Damn right I might. Try this: "A tax levied on a industry by a politician eager to pander to economically ignorant voters who, for whatever reason, are upset with that industry.

yeppers thats pretty much it. "you got & I want it"

FDK
06-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Anybody got a mole to burn reminding the DUmmies that the consumers end up paying those taxes? :rolleyes:

patriot45
06-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Anybody got a mole to burn reminding the DUmmies that the consumers end up paying those taxes? :rolleyes:

Imagine burning moles every time we needed to clue the DUmmies in on the real world! Oh, the carbon footprint would be huge!!

Zeus
06-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Imagine burning moles every time we needed to clue the DUmmies in on the real world! Oh, the carbon footprint would be huge!!

Guy could go broke just purchasing the carbon offsets