PDA

View Full Version : DC Comics Reveals First Islamic Green Lantern

Apocalypse
08-24-2012, 08:32 PM
DC Comics has confirmed that an Arab-American character named Baz will be introduced as a new addition to the Green Lantern Corps in Green Lantern #0.

The comic's writer Geoff Johns will make an appearance at the Arab American National Museum in Detroit to coincide with the hero's full debut, Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20120823/ENT05/120823031/DC-Comics-Geoff-Johns-coming-Michigan-debut-first-Arab-American-Green-Lantern?odyssey=nav%7Chead) reports.

Baz is the first character of Arab heritage to be inducted into the Green Lantern Crops. He was seen briefly in DC's Free Comic Book Day issue, but is expected to play a prominent role in the DC Universe following issue #0.

DC's Green Lantern line is likely to undergo status quo changes as part of the 'Third Army' event (http://www.digitalspy.com/comics/news/a395610/dc-comics-dan-didio-teases-2013-line-wide-crossover.html), which kicks off in next week's Green Lantern Annual #1.

It is yet to be confirmed what effect the introduction of Baz will have on the role of Earth's current Green Lantern Hal Jordan.

Green Lantern #0 is released on September 5.

http://i1.cdnds.net/12/34/618x947/gl_cv0_previews_final2_02.jpg

Wow...

So he's Muslim, wearing a mask, pointing a gun, tattooed with Islamic verses, and hits the stores just before 9/11.

Can DC ruin their line-up any more?

Edit...

From another site...

Tattoos also are considered 'Harem' and forbidden by Islam as Muslims are not allowed to 'defile' their flesh by getting tattoos.

Can we see riots now because of this?

JB
08-24-2012, 08:38 PM
That's just great. Now people will be able to rob banks 5 times a day.

ABC in Georgia
08-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Just charming indoctrination of today's youth! ... :vomit:

Can anyone say, "Creeping Sharia?"

~ ABC

Hubie
08-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Does he do this like every "good" Muslim is expected to do according to the Koran?

http://clashdaily.com/2012/08/graphic-muslims-cut-off-christians-head-for-not-renouncing-christ/

For those who prefer not to view it, a summary follows:

A young man appears held down by masked men. His head is pulled back, with a knife to his throat. He does not struggle and appears resigned to his fate. Speaking in Arabic, the background speaker, or “narrator,” chants a number of Muslim prayers and supplications, mostly condemning Christianity, which, because of the Trinity, is referred to as a polytheistic faith: “Let Allah be avenged on the polytheist apostate”; “Allah empower your religion, make it victorious against the polytheists”; “Allah, defeat the infidels at the hands of the Muslims”; “There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger.”

Then, to cries of “Allahu Akbar!”—or, “God is great!”—the man holding the knife to the apostate’s throat begins to slice away, even as the victim appears calmly mouthing a prayer. It takes nearly two minutes of graphic knife-carving to sever the Christian’s head, which is then held aloft to more Islamic cries and slogans of victory.

NJCardFan
08-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Why would a Lantern need a firearm? Is his will so weak that he can't create a construct like everyone else? Anyway, this just continues the downward spiral of the Green Lantern franchise. First they turn Alan Scott gay and now there's going to be a Muslim Lantern. What's next? An illegal immigrant Lantern?

Odysseus
08-24-2012, 10:46 PM
I can just imagine the new oath:

In brightest day
In blackest night
All infidels
Will live in fright

Let all who worship
Near and Far
Beware my jihad
Allahu Akbar.

SarasotaRepub
08-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure he'll blow himself up right away...:livid:

Wibbins
08-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Why would a Lantern need a firearm? Is his will so weak that he can't create a construct like everyone else? Anyway, this just continues the downward spiral of the Green Lantern franchise. First they turn Alan Scott gay and now there's going to be a Muslim Lantern. What's next? An illegal immigrant Lantern?

Bolded: It is, I mean they force women to cover themselves head to toe because they don't have the self-control to not rape them.

No, a gay green lantern

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/01/dc-comics-new-gay-green-lantern-marvel-s-first-same-sex-marriage.html

NJCardFan
08-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Bolded: It is, I mean they force women to cover themselves head to toe because they don't have the self-control to not rape them.

No, a gay green lantern

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/01/dc-comics-new-gay-green-lantern-marvel-s-first-same-sex-marriage.html

I already mentioned the gay Green Lantern(Alan Scott).

Odysseus
08-26-2012, 08:51 PM

No, a gay green lantern

I already mentioned the gay Green Lantern(Alan Scott).

Clearly, DC is going to be doing a crossover that will take place between the two Earths in Afghanistan, on Man-Boy-Love Thursday.

jediab
08-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Since being gay is forbidden in Islam and punishable by death, is this Muslim GL going to try to kill Alan Scott?

Odysseus
08-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Sine being gay is forbidden in Islam and punishable by death, is this Muslim GL going to try to kill Alan Scott?

Like I said, if they meet in Afghanistan on a Thursday, it's all good.

noonwitch
08-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Does the Koran forbid tattoos? I don't know, I do know they are forbidden in the Torah, which is a part that many under 40 year old Christians at my church seem to be cool about overlooking, especially if they are tattoos with Christian symbols or themes.

I'm just wondering if DC, in their attempt to get muslim readers, is actually offending them.

Apocalypse
08-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Does the Koran forbid tattoos? I don't know, I do know they are forbidden in the Torah, which is a part that many under 40 year old Christians at my church seem to be cool about overlooking, especially if they are tattoos with Christian symbols or themes.

I'm just wondering if DC, in their attempt to get muslim readers, is actually offending them.

Its forbidden. Its more any thing that alters the way you were born. It is considered a major sin.

Tattooing, in which the skin is pierced with a needle and dye is injected, is haraam in all forms.

“May Allaah curse the women who do tattoos and those for whom tattoos are done, those who pluck their eyebrows and those who file their teeth for the purpose of beautification and alter the creation of Allaah.”

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/20283/tattoos

Odysseus
08-28-2012, 08:33 PM

DC has become rather PC, but they cannot be bothered to actually learn about the cultures that they want to reach. Islam considers any representation of the human figure to be a form of idolatry, so comic books are haram. The costumes of most female comic book characters violate just about every tenet of Islamic rules of modesty. The various alternative lifestyles of some of DC's characters (Batwoman and the Question are lesbians, Alan Scott is gay, etc...) are anathema to mainstream Muslims and the mythological origins of Wonder Woman are polytheistic. No devout Muslim would indulge in any of it, but that's not the point. DC isn't trying to reach Muslim readers, they are trying to mainstream Islam to their current readership and create characters for future movies, which will do the same thing, but on a grander scale.

NJCardFan
08-28-2012, 09:35 PM
DC has become rather PC, but they cannot be bothered to actually learn about the cultures that they want to reach. Islam considers any representation of the human figure to be a form of idolatry, so comic books are haram. The costumes of most female comic book characters violate just about every tenet of Islamic rules of modesty. The various alternative lifestyles of some of DC's characters (Batwoman and the Question are lesbians, Alan Scott is gay, etc...) are anathema to mainstream Muslims and the mythological origins of Wonder Woman are polytheistic. No devout Muslim would indulge in any of it, but that's not the point. DC isn't trying to reach Muslim readers, they are trying to mainstream Islam to their current readership and create characters for future movies, which will do the same thing, but on a grander scale.

They're being more than PC. They're trying to move DC comics to the left. Remember their attempt to have Superman renounce his American citizenship? That went over like a turd in a punch bowl.

Apocalypse
08-28-2012, 11:14 PM
They're being more than PC. They're trying to move DC comics to the left. Remember their attempt to have Superman renounce his American citizenship? That went over like a turd in a punch bowl.

Does that surprise you? They are owned by Time Warner, and their based out of the Time warner building.

noonwitch
08-29-2012, 08:42 AM

Have you ever read some of their Vertigo line? I liked Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics back when I practiced Wicca for a reason.

NJCardFan
08-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Does that surprise you? They are owned by Time Warner, and their based out of the Time warner building.

The funny thing is they wonder how Marvel can be kicking their ass. Well, because Marvel doesn't screw with their characters to fit some kind of social narrative.

Hubie
08-29-2012, 11:22 AM
So I understand that the debut issue is the only issue. Muslim Lantern sees a teacher and her female students without a hijabs on, so he straps on some explosives and blows himself, her and the school bus-load of innocent children to pieces.

(This may or may not be sarcasm.)

Gina
08-29-2012, 01:17 PM
So I understand that the debut issue is the only issue. Muslim Lantern sees a teacher and her female students without a hijabs on, so he straps on some explosives and blows himself, her and the school bus-load of innocent children to pieces.

(This may or may not be sarcasm.)

You had me going!

Odysseus
08-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Have you ever read some of their Vertigo line? I liked Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics back when I practiced Wicca for a reason.

I always found Sandman to be highly overrated. It was basically a lot of meandering without much plot. Now, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, OTOH...

The funny thing is they wonder how Marvel can be kicking their ass. Well, because Marvel doesn't screw with their characters to fit some kind of social narrative.

Marvel has their PC moments. Ed Brubaker, the Captain America writer, has worked some of his leftist idiocy into his titles. Don't you remember when the Falcon was keeping an eye on the racists at a Tea Party event?

Hubie
08-30-2012, 05:39 PM
You had me going!

Probably because I modeled that after a real-life story.