PDA

View Full Version : Obama speech to soldiers met with silence

Janice
09-01-2012, 12:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIHz5tevLAw

Obama speech to soldiers met with silence

President Barack Obama was greeted with fleeting applause and extended periods of silence as he offered profuse praise to soldiers and their families during an Aug. 31 speech in Fort Bliss, Texas.

His praise for the soldiers — and for his own national-security policies — won cheers from only a small proportion of the soldiers and families in the cavernous aircraft-hanger.

The audience remains quiet even when the commander-in-chief thanked the soldiers’ families, and cited the 198 deaths of their comrades in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The audience’s reaction was so flat that the president tried twice to elicit a reaction from the crowd.

“Hey, I hear you,” he said amid silence.

The selected soldiers who were arrayed behind the president sat quietly throughout the speech.

CNN and MSNBC ended their coverage of the speech before it was half-over. >>>

The troops’ silence continued through several obvious applause-lines. >>>

The silence deepened when the president lauded his strategy of withdrawal from the war. “Make no mistake, ending the wars responsibly makes us safer and our military even stronger, and ending these wars is letting us do something else; restoring American leadership,” he said amid complete silence.

When he said demobilized soldiers would find jobs because “all of you have the skills America needs,” he got little reaction.

There was no reaction when he promised stepped-up recruitment of soldiers for police jobs. >>>

Similarly, his declaration that “around the world there’s a new attitude toward America, a new confidence in our leadership” yielded only silence, while his next sentence — “When people are asked ‘Which country do you admire most?’ one nation always comes out on top, the United States of America” — prompted relative enthusiasm.

The White House’s video-feed cut off 10 seconds after the president finished his speech, before the audience’s reaction overall could be gauged by viewers.

DailyCaller (http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/31/obama-speech-to-soldiers-met-with-silence/)

------------------------------------------------

He's getting them killed, leaking their operations plans, trying to take away the military vote in Ohio, This after he proposed they buy their own medical insurance when they return from foreign duty, but before the proposal to reduce their retirement benefits. Meanwhile he turns the military into a homosexual dating service. Then he sends a form letter signed by auto pen to the families of those killed but sends a personal note to a rap singer/ gang member. What's not to cheer?

For a difference in the way the Marines treated Bush compared to 0bama look at the video I posted above.

Hubie
09-01-2012, 01:22 PM
“Hey, I hear you,” he said amid silence.

He was talking to the voices in his head again.

RobJohnson
09-01-2012, 02:41 PM
CNN and MSNBC ended their coverage of the speech before it was half-over.

:rotfl:

Odysseus
09-01-2012, 06:26 PM
The troops behind him look like they'd rather sit through a PowerPoint on supply discipline and hand receipt procedures than listen to his speech. This video needs to be viewed and disseminated before the libs pull it. It has the makings of a great Romney ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DEuVFP-zGI

Apache
09-01-2012, 06:53 PM
The troops behind him look like they'd rather sit through a PowerPoint on supply discipline and hand receipt procedures than listen to his speech. This video needs to be viewed and disseminated before the libs pull it. It has the makings of a great Romney ad.

Ody, I respect ya, however I AM NOT SITTING THROUGH 26+ MINUTES OF THAT HORSE'S ASS TALKING!

Odysseus
09-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Ody, I respect ya, however I AM NOT SITTING THROUGH 26+ MINUTES OF THAT HORSE'S ASS TALKING!

I wouldn't expect you to sit through the whole thing. Just watch the first couple of minutes and the end, and you'll see the major applause lines falling flat. This needs to be distilled down to a thirty second spot with a voice over about Obama's betrayals and failures. His withdrawal from Iraq has left it to the tender mercies of Iran, and negated the sacrifices of our troops. His support for the Arab Spring in Egypt and abandonment of Mubarak has turned the most populous Arab country from an ally to an enemy, echoing Carter's failure to support the Shah against Khomeini. His negotiations with the Taliban will result in their return to power, and create a resurgent Islamist alliance which will destabilize Pakistan and threaten to put nuclear weapons in the hands of radicals. His abandonment of Poland and the Czech's to Russia in return for nothing was particularly craven, and his refusal to support the rebellion in Iran perpetuated the rule of the mullahs and emboldened them. Our foreign policy hasn't been this weak since Jimmy Carter governed by malaise.

JB
09-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Instead of hanging an "applause" sign I think they hung a "golfer's clap" or a "pin drop" sign.

Elspeth
09-01-2012, 09:22 PM
I can only speak anecdotally, but the Marines I know (and I run across them in my job all the time) are all voting for Romney.

SaintLouieWoman
09-01-2012, 11:42 PM
I can only speak anecdotally, but the Marines I know (and I run across them in my job all the time) are all voting for Romney.
I hope through his dirty tricks that he doesn't suppress the military vote. He sure doesn't try to have a fair election with his shills trying to block voter ID.

You just have to look at the faces of the brave men forced to stand there for a photo op and see their disdain for him. Silence says it all, doesn't it?

Starbuck
09-01-2012, 11:57 PM
I was in the service once. They can make me go, but they can't make me like it. Seems like a lot of guys feel that way.

AmPat
09-02-2012, 01:55 AM
They were silent because they wanted to keep their contempt of him in check. The POC In Chief has no honor and had the gaul to voice his lies to honorable people. They were sending him a message.

Hawkgirl
09-02-2012, 10:24 AM
They were silent because they wanted to keep their contempt of him in check. The POC In Chief has no honor and had the gaul to voice his lies to honorable people. They were sending him a message.

That is clearly what it is in their minds. I know they can't boo or throw tomatoes at a sitting President. This is all they could do, and they did it well. Message heard loud and clear, no pun.

Unreconstructed Reb
09-02-2012, 01:50 PM
That is clearly what it is in their minds. I know they can't boo or throw tomatoes at a sitting President. This is all they could do, and they did it well. Message heard loud and clear, no pun.

Clinton wasn't a favorite of the military, either:

"A lot of wonderful people love their country and hate the military." - Bill Clinton, 1969 (Letter to the National Guard)

Or how bout John F'n Kerry:

"You know, education, if you make the most of it, if you study hard and you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, uh, you, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq."

AmPat
09-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Contrast for ANY Conservative group against liberal poo flingers is stark. I'm sure the smell is more so.

SaintLouieWoman
09-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Clinton wasn't a favorite of the military, either:

"A lot of wonderful people love their country and hate the military." - Bill Clinton, 1969 (Letter to the National Guard)

Or how bout John F'n Kerry:

"You know, education, if you make the most of it, if you study hard and you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, uh, you, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq."

I used to sell office equipment to the feds, both civilian agencies and the military. I used to be amazed at what some officers would say about Clinton. They were being very trusting that I wouldn't report them. Of course I wouldn't, as would never do that to anyone---besides, I agreed with their opinions of Bubba. Too many retired early and took civilian jobs so they wouldn't have to salute him as CIC.

txradioguy
09-02-2012, 04:49 PM
I hope through his dirty tricks that he doesn't suppress the military vote. He sure doesn't try to have a fair election with his shills trying to block voter ID.

You just have to look at the faces of the brave men forced to stand there for a photo op and see their disdain for him. Silence says it all, doesn't it?

If he gets a couple more tepid responses from the soldiers like he did at Bliss...you can expet them to try and do everything they can to negate our vote.

SaintLouieWoman
09-02-2012, 06:04 PM
If he gets a couple more tepid responses from the soldiers like he did at Bliss...you can expet them to try and do everything they can to negate our vote.
They're going to try to do that anyway. Maybe he'll not inflict himself on the bases to avoid further embarassment. It's a shame that some of the most patriotic citizens, the military, have a CIC like him.
He doesn't have a clue about duty, honor, country. He just doesn't get it.

txradioguy
09-03-2012, 06:04 AM
They're going to try to do that anyway. Maybe he'll not inflict himself on the bases to avoid further embarassment. It's a shame that some of the most patriotic citizens, the military, have a CIC like him.
He doesn't have a clue about duty, honor, country. He just doesn't get it.

From what I understand and have read he whines about having to have face time with the soldiers anyway. It won't hurt the feelings of the vast majority of us if he doesn't use us as a backdrop for his campaign fliers for the rest of his term.

Gina
09-03-2012, 10:58 AM
ending the wars responsibly

When he says that, and he has quite often, it seems like he's talking down to the listeners. I know he's trying to insult Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld, but another implication could be that the soldiers didn't act responsibly.

My son isn't very political.. for example he didn't pay much attention to Dubya (the guy in office when my son joined the National Guard) but this time around, he thinks the CiC is a horse's ass. Is that racist? :biggrin-new:

Starbuck
09-03-2012, 11:38 AM
"Justice" happens when Obama speaks to a silent room.

MountainMan
09-03-2012, 01:08 PM

I don't think that the Republicans can even though I agree with you about it being great "ad material".

I could be wrong but I don't think the law allows for uniformed personal to be in ANY ad for either party if the function was considered non-political..

This is why I hate campaign finance laws... :livid:

Unreconstructed Reb
09-03-2012, 01:54 PM
When he says that, and he has quite often, it seems like he's talking down to the listeners. I know he's trying to insult Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld, but another implication could be that the soldiers didn't act responsibly.

My son isn't very political.. for example he didn't pay much attention to Dubya (the guy in office when my son joined the National Guard) but this time around, he thinks the CiC is a horse's ass. Is that racist? :biggrin-new:

What color is the horse?

:evil-grin:

Gina
09-04-2012, 07:45 PM
What color is the horse?

:evil-grin:

That for sure is racist! :biggrin-new:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m50o72YVwV1qf66kwo1_250.jpg

Odysseus
09-04-2012, 11:13 PM
I don't think that the Republicans can even though I agree with you about it being great "ad material".

I could be wrong but I don't think the law allows for uniformed personal to be in ANY ad for either party if the function was considered non-political..

This is why I hate campaign finance laws... :livid:

Not sure of the legality of that. Military personnel cannot volunteer to appear in an ad in uniform, or while speaking for the military, but if they happen to be in the background of a public event, then it's simply news, and ought to be usable.