PDA

View Full Version : Homemade drain cleaner that works!

ABC in Georgia
09-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Have always wanted to add something in here but never have. ... :smile-new:

Keep forgetting to buy *Draino* for my bathroom sinks, so looked up something online just for laughs ... and the blinking thing WORKS!!!

Recipe:

- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup white vinegar

Directions:

- pour baking soda into drain
- follow with vinegar
- wait approx. 10 mins.
- then pour boiling water down the drain ( I used half a kettle full)

Just try it!

~ ABC

Zeus
09-04-2012, 02:01 PM
I've tried that. Yes it does work. I also pack the garbage disposal with ice cubes and turn it on. Cleans the disposal real good. :star:

linda22003
09-05-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm going to be trying it this evening. :blue: I'll report back.

Rockntractor
09-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Does it work on store bought drains?http://gfxlovers.com/smilies/imgs/confused/confused007.gif (http://gfxlovers.com/smilies)

Hubie
09-08-2012, 11:20 PM
I think I remember hearing about and using that trick years ago. Haven't had a lot of clogged drains to deal with for a while, so I kind of forgot about it.

Hubie
09-08-2012, 11:21 PM
I've tried that. Yes it does work. I also pack the garbage disposal with ice cubes and turn it on. Cleans the disposal real good. :star:

Does it remove/prevent the rotten smell that often happens?

ABC in Georgia
09-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Love to see men in here. ... :love_heart:

Zeus ... yes, I do that every now and then. Put ice cubes in disposal to clean it out. It does a fine job.

Does it remove/prevent the rotten smell that often happens?

To keep the darn thing smelling nice and fresh, slice up a whole lemon, and put it in once a week or so. Let the water run for awhile, til all the bits are gone, and then smell it.

~ ABC

Hubie
09-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Love to see men in here. ... :love_heart:

Well, those of us who are married are half-women (the better half, of course), so... :evil-grin:

To keep the darn thing smelling nice and fresh, slice up a whole lemon, and put it in once a week or so. Let the water run for awhile, til all the bits are gone, and then smell it.

~ ABC

Lemons are organic, though. That doesn't make sense to me. Besides, seems like a waste of a perfectly good lemon. :friendly_wink:

Back when I worked in a group home with a disposal, I used bleach to kill the rotten odor in the disposal. (And I think I was the only one who ever did that.) I don't know if that was good for the disposal (I was there for several years and nothing bad ever came of it), but it sure was good for our noses.

Gina
09-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Speaking of ice and lemon, for your glass coffee maker pot, fill it half way with ice and a bit of lemon juice .. about a half cup of water and swish it around. Cleans it up nice.