PDA

View Full Version : Jerry "The King" Lawler collapses during 'Monday Night Raw,' taken to hospital

Zathras
09-11-2012, 01:27 AM
Jerry Lawler collapses during 'Monday Night Raw,' taken to hospital
September 10, 2012, 9:50 p.m.

Jerry "The King" Lawler, a commentator on WWE's "Monday Night Raw" television show, collapsed during tonight's live telecast and has been rushed to a Montreal hospital. In the world of pro wrestling, which tries to blur the line between real life and entertainment, this is all too real.

Lawler had stopped breathing and was given CPR at the arena. He collapsed during a match between the team of Daniel Bryan and Kane vs. The Prime Time Players, during which most people in the stands could be seen watching the commentator area (which is off camera during matches) instead of the match.

Broadcast partner Michael Cole later gave an update, saying Lawler collapsed during the match and was immediately tended to by ringside doctors, who began performing CPR.

Lawler, 62, had competed in a match earlier in the evening, teaming with Randy Orton against CM Punk and Dolph Ziggler. He appeared in an on-camera segment just before collapsing and seemed fine.

An obviously emotional Cole gave updates on Lawler throughout the rest of the show. The final update was that Lawler was breathing on his own, was reacting to stimuli but was in isolated ER and awaiting further tests.

(Update at 9:49 p.m.: It is believed Lawler suffered a stroke.)

LINK (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-jerry-lawler-20120910,0,4318513.story)

Wow....prayers to The King and his family for a speedy recovery. They stopped comentating on the matches after this happened which was very wierd but understandable. Thank god the WWE has doctors ringside or this could have been much worse.

LukeEDay
09-11-2012, 08:30 AM
My prayers are going out to Jerry. I always liked him.

NJCardFan
09-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Last report he's in critical but stable condition. I was watching at work and left when he and Orton were beating up a couple of young guys. When I got home, I heard about the incident. some thought it was a work but they said Cole was visibly upset. That doesn't happen unless it's real. Yes these guys are "actors" but no one can act that well.

LukeEDay
09-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Cole said on air that a lot of what they do is fake (Vince McMahon told me, when I met him, that he refers to it as 'Theatrical Athleticism'), but what was happening with Jerry was not fake.

Recent reports are that he might have suffered brain damage. If that is the case, he will probably not be returning.

My thoughts and prayers are with him ..

jediab
09-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Update on The King. Early this week he got back home to Memphis and is going well so far.

NJCardFan
09-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Update on The King. Early this week he got back home to Memphis and is going well so far.

There is a video somewhere of Lawler saying thank you to those who sent him well wishes and in it he looked great. There is also a photo of him in his hospital bed eating a steak:
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/548772_10151065926981235_288240161_n.jpg

Molon Labe
09-19-2012, 01:21 PM
One of the greatest moments in wrestling. Pure genius was Lawler and Kauffman on this stunt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l_Xm8GQW14&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKqiLCtF8I8&feature=related

LukeEDay
09-19-2012, 05:34 PM
The video of Jerry thanking the fans was on tout. You can view it by going to the WWE.com website. He is home now, and is going to be on Raw this Monday. When Cole announced that this week, you could tell how genuinely happy he was. I thought he was going to cry from being so happy. It should be good this week.

I was really happy to see Good 'Ol Jr. again this week. I hope he comes back more.

Zathras
09-20-2012, 01:32 AM
There is a video somewhere of Lawler saying thank you to those who sent him well wishes and in it he looked great. There is also a photo of him in his hospital bed eating a steak:
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/548772_10151065926981235_288240161_n.jpg

Damn, no wonder people think medical care in Canada is great....they serve steak dinners. :adoration:

NJCardFan
09-20-2012, 11:17 AM
One of the greatest moments in wrestling. Pure genius was Lawler and Kauffman on this stunt

I always thought Kaufman was an idiot but you're right. The entire storyline was pure genius. Even when Kaufman enlisted Lawler to help with his new feud with Jimmy Hart then turning on him was great. Kaufman, even though he didn't have near the physique to be a wrestler knew how to play the heel.

Retread
09-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Damn, no wonder people think medical care in Canada is great....they serve steak dinners. :adoration:

In looking a little closer at that offering, it appears to me that was carried in under the radar by Patterson or another one of Jerry's buddies rather than being hospital fare.

Real glad the old man is doing all right. Wonder about the internal feelings of the guys he was involved in the match with earlier that night. Anybody see any comments from them?

Zathras
09-21-2012, 12:23 AM
In looking a little closer at that offering, it appears to me that was carried in under the radar by Patterson or another one of Jerry's buddies rather than being hospital fare.

Real glad the old man is doing all right. Wonder about the internal feelings of the guys he was involved in the match with earlier that night. Anybody see any comments from them?

Haven't seen any comments from the other wrestlers in that match (Randy Orton, C.M. Punk and Dolph Zigler) but from what I've read Punk and Lawler are real close friends.

LukeEDay
09-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Haven't seen any comments from the other wrestlers in that match (Randy Orton, C.M. Punk and Dolph Zigler) but from what I've read Punk and Lawler are real close friends.

Yes, Lawler and Punk are pretty close.

I was reading somewhere (I can't remember where) that when the story of having a Punk feud with one of the announcers came up, Punk insisted it be Lawler. They usually do that with people they are close with.