PDA

View Full Version : Has everyone registered to vote?

djones520
10-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Just curious if we've got any stragglers out there, or god forbid folks who aren't even planning on voting.

I'm a bit late going on requesting my absentee ballot. Thankfully Michigan will mail that stuff out as late as election day, so I still have to do it.

I hope everyone else here plans on casting a ballot this year. I personally don't care which way you do it, just as long as you do it. I always find it annoying when people get so up in arms about things on the interwebs, and then don't even bother doing what they can.

Gina
10-07-2012, 10:37 AM
We have to register in order to vote?

jk. :biggrin-new:

Novaheart
10-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Does anyone know the true history of voter registration? I found one online, but it reads like it was written by Angela Davis.

to wit:

The History of Voter Registration in the U.S.
Voter registration originated in the early 19th century as a method of disenfranchisement. Many states were concerned with the growing number of foreign-born transients participating in local government, and so they developed a system of registration to ensure that these non-citizens could not vote. While this did disenfranchise transients and the foreign-born, many poor citizens were also not included on the voter rolls; they were often not home when the assessors came by, which was typically during the work-day, so they were not included. Many areas that were largely Democratic rebuffed the registration system, because most of the poor, immigrants, and other potentially disenfranchised groups tended to vote Democrat.

http://archive.fairvote.org/index.php?page=2553

Zathras
10-07-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm registered as a permenant absentee voter in Cali...just waiting for my ballot to arrive.

djones520
10-07-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm registered as a permenant absentee voter in Cali...just waiting for my ballot to arrive.

I'm not quite sure how the registration works in Michigan. So far I've had to call every election to get my absentee ballot, but I seem to be permaregistered as a voter.

Gina
10-07-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm not quite sure how the registration works in Michigan. So far I've had to call every election to get my absentee ballot, but I seem to be permaregistered as a voter.

I got an absentee ballot in the mail last week. Never did before, but I'm going to go in person anyway one last time because my 18 yr old daughter has to vote in person.

Elspeth
10-07-2012, 02:19 PM

You and me both!

Love that permanent absentee thing. All states should have it.

RobJohnson
10-07-2012, 02:53 PM
After a trial run in Nevada with some parts of the state they now offer state wide registration online. They are having some issues with our seasonal residents that can only vote for President.

When I first moved to NV I had issues trying to register to vote. There was an issue with my address (there was more then one legal address) yet I never was notified of the problem. I exchanged a few emails, at first the lady in charge said she did not know anything about it, two weeks later when it was too late to reregister..she knew all about it. I even paid her a visit in person.

The good news is the lady lost the next election and her 100k plus salary from our county...she was a bitch.

I use early voting. It's quick and easy. I also help my mom fill out her sample ballot. She usually votes the exact way that I do...

Elspeth
10-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Does anyone know the true history of voter registration? I found one online, but it reads like it was written by Angela Davis.

to wit:

Voter registration originated in the early 19th century as a method of disenfranchisement. Many states were concerned with the growing number of foreign-born transients participating in local government, and so they developed a system of registration to ensure that these non-citizens could not vote. While this did disenfranchise transients and the foreign-born, many poor citizens were also not included on the voter rolls; they were often not home when the assessors came by, which was typically during the work-day, so they were not included. Many areas that were largely Democratic rebuffed the registration system, because most of the poor, immigrants, and other potentially disenfranchised groups tended to vote Democrat.

http://archive.fairvote.org/index.php?page=2553

Is that true? (It rings true, considering the anti-Irish and anti-Chinese feeling in this country during the 19th century, not to mention the overwhelming prejudices against Jews and Italians in the 20th.)

NJCardFan
10-07-2012, 11:09 PM
I've voted in every election since I became eligible so no need to register.

RobJohnson
10-07-2012, 11:40 PM

I remember a few years back when moving I had a heck of a time signing up to vote. The only place was the courthouse and they were miles away and had limited hours. Finally two counties teamed up and took registrations at a local shopping mall

It always sucked when I moved, trying to register until I found a lady that let me do it by email. This started about 25 years ago, the email helped out about 15 years ago...now it seems so much easier. All is well.

In the early days I would have to take time off from work to register to vote, then I became a registar for the IL-NRA that helped.

Hawkgirl
10-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Yes, I am. I also got a survey call yesterday.

Adam Wood
10-08-2012, 12:26 AM

to wit:

http://archive.fairvote.org/index.php?page=2553Good grief, what bullshit stupidity. Another ludicrous appeal to emotion over a very factual situation.

If people didn't register to vote, how would anyone know what is their proper voting district? How would you know who your representative is unless it was determined what your address was?

God Almighty, this stuff gets stupider by the day, I swear.

No, voter registration is not yet some other evil Republican ploy to prevent Democrats from voting. Thanks for proving what a bullshit "argument" that whole meme is, though. Sheesh.

Rockntractor
10-08-2012, 12:38 AM
Yes, I have all my ancestors registered too.

Adam Wood
10-08-2012, 12:59 AM
Yes, I have all my ancestors registered too.Planning on voting the Democratic way? Because the Democrats have the dead vote locked up....

linda22003
10-08-2012, 08:14 AM

Same here. Just got my new registration card in the mail a couple of weeks ago.

noonwitch
10-08-2012, 08:42 AM
I've been registered to vote since I turned 18 and have voted in every election ever since then. Except primaries-I didn't realize until 1988 that you didn't have to be officially a member of a party to vote in them, so I missed the 84 primaries. I probably would have voted for Gary Hart, if I had voted in the 84 primaries.

Adam Wood
10-08-2012, 10:07 AM
I've been registered to vote since I turned 18 and have voted in every election ever since then. Except primaries-I didn't realize until 1988 that you didn't have to be officially a member of a party to vote in them, so I missed the 84 primaries. I probably would have voted for Gary Hart, if I had voted in the 84 primaries.That's OK. I'm pretty sure he didn't miss your vote. :biggrin-new:

marv
10-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Voted in every general election since '60 except '88 when I was in the middle of a transfer and didn't have the required residency in CO.

Only voted absentee when I was in the Air Force.

djones520
10-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Voted in every general election since '60 except '88 when I was in the middle of a transfer and didn't have the required residency in CO.

Only voted absentee when I was in the Air Force.

I've only ever voted absentee... I was active duty before I was even legally old enough to vote. Funny how that works.

Wibbins
10-08-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm registered to vote, got my updated voter card in the mail. Early voting begins oct 17th here and I'm hoping to go vote. i'm so glad I didn't get to vote last election, I would have voted for the bamster :(