PDA

View Full Version : Let's Clean House

Rockntractor
10-13-2012, 05:00 PM
By Ben Stein on 10.12.12 @ 8:42AM

The Obama Libya gang must go -- along with Joe Biden of the unfair debate.

Sunday
Here I am in Washington, D.C., my home town. Yesterday I gave a speech at a hotel in Tysons' Corners, Virginia. It has become an immense metropolis. I remember when there was almost nothing there. Wow, am I old or what?

After the speech, our little group had lunch at a steak house, a modest steak house. We had an extremely capable and pleasant Asian woman as our server. She turned out to be from Cambodia. Her name was Srey. I could not keep myself from thinking of the horrors she has seen and what a great change life in suburban Virginia must be for her. God bless America. She told me she had seen me on TV and asked if I would take her to Hollywood with me. Cute.

However, today, I am doing other errands. First my wife and I visited our pal, Mary Carroll, who works at the Watergate. She has diabetes and many other ailments. I love her a lot so wifey and I cruised over to GW Hospital and held her hand. It was an eerie experience because her room had almost the identical view to the room I had at the old building at GW Hospital where, in 1950, I had surgery for a torn muscle in my abdomen. I can vividly recall wrestling with the nurse to keep her from drawing blood from me. I can also recall the feeling I had when they gave me ether -- as if my head were being dragged around in a circle on a street pavement.

So, we greeted Mary Carroll, kissed her, and then we went over to Capitol Hill to wish happy birthday to my scholarly and charming nephew, Paul, and to say hello to my niece, Emily, and her astoundingly smart, lovely, and polite children Zooey and Penelope.

They were such charming and adorable girls, aged, I think, about 5 and 8, but don' t hold me to that as an exact number, that my head was spinning for hours afterwards. Paul and Emily have done something very right.

Then, off to Oxford, Maryland, in a foggy drizzle. It was a fine trip and Oxford was atmospheric and haunting in the rain. We had dinner, as usual, at The Tidewater Inn. Crab soup. Crabcakes. Smith Island Cake. Maybe as good a meal as I have ever had.

Then, a detour through pitch black rural Talbot and Caroline counties, to avoid an immense traffic jam, then back to the Watergate. I slept almost all of the way.

Thursday
Now, I am back in Los Angeles. Since Washington, we went to Boise, Idaho, where I spoke to wonderfully friendly Chamber of Commerce people. My host, Bill, took me to lunch with some super successful (really, really successful) people, including the Governor, Butch Otter. He has his head on right about government spending and he has no pretentiousness about him at all. I liked him and the other fab men and women at the lunch a lot. Alas, Gov. Otter has to take a welding class at the community college so he will miss my speech.

One of the men there, Orville Thompson, along with his wife, founded a scented candle company that uses little incandescent bulbs instead of burning wicks to generate a pleasant smell. The company is thriving stupendously. Another man there runs an immense pet meds company, also booming. Just great people.

There is still opportunity in America.

The best part of the trip though was a tour of the Idaho state Capitol. It is a stately, domed, elegant building, like the U.S. Capitol -- except it is in Idaho so there are no metal detectors and no guards. Not any.

None.

Thence to Chicago for a speech this morning with some super smart finance people. Last night was dinner with John Coyne, witty and spectacularly intelligent man whom I know from Nixon days.

Then to the airport and back to L.A., with me reading about World War II most of the way.

The debate between Vice President Biden and Rep. Ryan was over by the time we landed, but C-SPAN kindly replayed it.
Read More>http://spectator.org/archives/2012/10/12/lets-clean-house