PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Sowell - Race Riots if Obama Loses

Elspeth
10-18-2012, 02:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PmylSqArutQ#!

Thomas Sowell is being interviewed here by Larry Elder in Los Angeles. Elder is an African American libertarian and has been a talk show host at KABC for many years.

NJCardFan
10-18-2012, 02:58 AM
So in other words the idiots who cry about racism will do their very best to perpetuate the very stereotype that makes white people look at them as animals? Let them riot. This will only go on in cities like LA, Detroit, & Chicago anyway so let them burn.

Unreconstructed Reb
10-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Of course there will be riots. All you have to do is take a look at the 0bamaphone lady video to deduce what she and her kind are going to do when they learn that 0bama 1.0 has been uninstalled.

noonwitch
10-18-2012, 08:45 AM
So in other words the idiots who cry about racism will do their very best to perpetuate the very stereotype that makes white people look at them as animals? Let them riot. This will only go on in cities like LA, Detroit, & Chicago anyway so let them burn.

Thanks a lot.

I don't think there will be riots if Obama loses. Now if the Tigers lose, that's a different matter.

Unreconstructed Reb
10-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Thanks a lot.

It's your own doing for supporting liberalism.

I don't think there will be riots if Obama loses.

Not if. When. And there will be riots. If I were you I'd plan on a little vacation for the first week in November. And you're not welcome down South.................

LukeEDay
10-18-2012, 09:22 AM
There will be rioting either way. Only the name will be different - A celebration if obama wins, and a riot if obama loses. I agree; let Chicago, La, and Detroit burn.

Hubie
10-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Election Day night and Inauguration Day would be hell.

Bailey
10-18-2012, 01:08 PM
If there is massive civil unrest, will obama try to retain power? I am not one of these tin foil hat guys but this guy scares the shit out of me.

Rebel Yell
10-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Now if the Tigers lose, that's a different matter.

Hell, if the Tigers win.

noonwitch
10-18-2012, 01:11 PM
It's your own doing for supporting liberalism.

Not if. When. And there will be riots. If I were you I'd plan on a little vacation for the first week in November. And you're not welcome down South.................

Liberalism didn't suck so much for you southerners in the 30s and 40s, when we paid to build roads, establish running water and electricity for your states and dragged your asses into the 20th century. I would also say we forced you to ditch Jim Crow, but somehow I get the feeling that you resent that part of it.

I am not that concerned about there being riots in Detroit. People didn't riot when two white cops beat an unarmed black man to death with their flashlights, people are probably not going to riot if Obama loses.

I thought the South was known for their hospitality?! I'm pretty sure I'm welcome in Orlando, Atlanta and New Orleans, you know, the places in the South that are actually worth visiting. The rest of the South is just the area you have to drive through to get to those 3 places.

Rebel Yell
10-18-2012, 01:15 PM
I thought the South was known for their hospitality?! I'm pretty sure I'm welcome in Orlando, Atlanta and New Orleans, you know, the places in the South that are actually worth visiting. The rest of the South is just the area you have to drive through to get to those 3 places.

Trust me, you'd bew welcome. We might look at you funny, 'til we figure out who you are.

It's funny, those are the three places that the rest of us drive around to get where we're going.

Bailey
10-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Liberalism didn't suck so much for you southerners in the 30s and 40s, when we paid to build roads, establish running water and electricity for your states and dragged your asses into the 20th century. I would also say we forced you to ditch Jim Crow, but somehow I get the feeling that you resent that part of it.

I am not that concerned about there being riots in Detroit. People didn't riot when two white cops beat an unarmed black man to death with their flashlights, people are probably not going to riot if Obama loses.

I have been all over the US and Detroit is without a doubt the biggest shit hole I have ever had the misfortune to be in. So I would hold of on too your witty retorts. If they nuked Detroit I'd probably say,"what took you so long"? oh you can thank liberalism for the condition its in now.

SarasotaRepub
10-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Well if the worst happened and what Sowell is afraid of happened, I think you'd find only the black areas of the country "burning".

I don't know about other states but when I was going for my CC permit the room was filled with quite a few older folks, a lot of them female. Any rioters are going to be in for a BIG surprise if they start torching areas outside their home turf. At least here in Florida.

I'd let them riot all they want as long as they stay out of my neighborhood. You come into my subdivision with evil intent and you are
going to be "greeted" by a wall of .223 (among other sizes) of lead.

Thankfully, I doubt it will come to this.:smile-new:

LukeEDay
10-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Southern Liberals in the 40's, 50's, 60's were racists members of the KKK holding secret meetings in the fields while they burned crosses and killed black people.

noonwitch
10-18-2012, 02:56 PM
I have been all over the US and Detroit is without a doubt the biggest shit hole I have ever had the misfortune to be in. So I would hold of on too your witty retorts. If they nuked Detroit I'd probably say,"what took you so long"? oh you can thank liberalism for the condition its in now.

You obviously haven't been to Cleveland.:biggrin-new:

Racism has a lot to do with how Detroit ended up this way-racism, specifically racist police actions, led to the riots, the riots led to the white flight, the white flight led to the abandonment of the city by business and manufacturing. Once the tax base was gone, the city slowly crumbled to what it is today.

I don't live in the city anymore, but I live just over the border and I work in the city. People can joke about nuking Detroit, letting it burn down, or whatever terrible thing you declare that you wouldn't care about if it happened, but there are still 700,000 people living there-old people, children, working people, taxpayers, voters. If terrorists hit the city and offed hundreds of thousands of Americans, including the gang bangers, drug addicts, homeless, welfare recipients, and so on, I'm pretty sure that even the most conservative posters here would still want to make the terrorists responsible pay for attacking an American city and killing American citizens.

I love Detroit, in the way that God has called me to love Detroit since I was a little kid and would come here from Grand Rapids to visit relatives and go to Tiger games. It's a hard place, and most people write off the city and most of it's residents.

LukeEDay
10-18-2012, 03:22 PM
I have family who live in Detroit (They live in Deerfield). They can't wait to get out. The only reason why they are there is because the ones mother lives there. They constantly tell me about how much of cesspool is it.

It is dirty, run down, empty, high crime, high murder, high drug, high unemployment, high low income housing, high black population, high muslim population (Deerborn).

From hearing about it, I would say that Detroit and Cleveland are the most run down cities in the country.

noonwitch
10-18-2012, 04:58 PM
I have family who live in Detroit (They live in Deerfield). They can't wait to get out. The only reason why they are there is because the ones mother lives there. They constantly tell me about how much of cesspool is it.

It is dirty, run down, empty, high crime, high murder, high drug, high unemployment, high low income housing, high black population, high muslim population (Deerborn).

From hearing about it, I would say that Detroit and Cleveland are the most run down cities in the country.

Deerfield is a long way from Detroit. It's in Livingston County, a place where most black Detroiters won't even stop to get gas. The klan was strong there until around the year 2000.

Retread
10-18-2012, 05:28 PM
............ And you're not welcome down South.................

You can come to Texas noonie and join those other thousands of MI folks who came back in the late 70's and early 80's.

Hawkgirl
10-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Well if the worst happened and what Sowell is afraid of happened, I think you'd find only the black areas of the country "burning".

I don't know about other states but when I was going for my CC permit the room was filled with quite a few older folks, a lot of them female. Any rioters are going to be in for a BIG surprise if they start torching areas outside their home turf. At least here in Florida.

I'd let them riot all they want as long as they stay out of my neighborhood. You come into my subdivision with evil intent and you are
going to be "greeted" by a wall of .223 (among other sizes) of lead.

Thankfully, I doubt it will come to this.:smile-new:

Most Floridians are armed. We just had a guy come in with bullets to his entire body when he tried to burglarize an older man's home. He and his 2 other friends got shot. The other two escaped and injuries weren't as bad as this guy. He is now booked in the Organ Donor slot of the OR.

Hawkgirl
10-18-2012, 08:40 PM
You obviously haven't been to Cleveland.:biggrin-new:

Racism has a lot to do with how Detroit ended up this way-racism, specifically racist police actions, led to the riots, the riots led to the white flight, the white flight led to the abandonment of the city by business and manufacturing. Once the tax base was gone, the city slowly crumbled to what it is today.

You could have left out the racist police part and just accept the bolded part. That's what is happening to all cities now. It happened in Detroit first.

Retread
10-18-2012, 09:27 PM
I forgot to mention that you would fit right in with our Houston downtown leftists/elitists.

AmPat
10-18-2012, 10:37 PM

How very arrogant of you. I suppose that it took you enlightened liberals to "drag" us back woods huckters into the modern era. No Southerners had a say in it or lifted a finger to build those roads? We haven't a clue how to do things ourselves. Why, without you big hearted liberals, we'd all be wearin homespuns and bare foot. Thank you. Thank you for pointing out your superiority at my expense. How very kind and thoughtful.

As for "worth visiting?" Do you suppose the Smoky Mountains has any allure for such a sophisticate as you and your fellow elites? What about Nashville, Memphis, even Knoxville? Really Nooner, I thought you were better than this.

NJCardFan
10-18-2012, 10:58 PM

Dude, if you're in Philly, surely you've seen Camden.

Retread
10-18-2012, 11:01 PM
How very arrogant of you. I suppose that it took you enlightened liberals to "drag" us back woods huckters into the modern era. No Southerners had a say in it or lifted a finger to build those roads? We haven't a clue how to do things ourselves. Why, without you big hearted liberals, we'd all be wearin homespuns and bare foot. Thank you. Thank you for pointing out your superiority at my expense. How very kind and thoughtful.

As for "worth visiting?" Do you suppose the Smoky Mountains has any allure for such a sophisticate as you and your fellow elites? What about Nashville, Memphis, even Knoxville? Really Nooner, I thought you were better than this.

I missed that - consider the Texas invite rescinded. You would still fit in with the elitists downtown but we don't like them either. That's why we live far from away.

Starbuck
10-18-2012, 11:39 PM
If there is massive civil unrest, will obama try to retain power? I am not one of these tin foil hat guys but this guy scares the shit out of me.

He will in 2016. He already set the stage back when he traced teddy Roosevelt's route. And TR's attempt to return to power is how we ended up with Woodrow Wilson.

Unreconstructed Reb
10-19-2012, 09:33 AM

You can go to hell. Your yankee war on the South, the yankee theft of Southern wealth and reconstruction more than paid for anything that you stinking yankees claim that you 'gave us'. And as far as Jim Crow, you stupid witch, there isn't a more racist group of people in the whole world than white yankees and I can say this from having lived near Detroit and having once been married to girl from New Jersey. Like most yankees, you're dumb as a bag of hammers.

Dumbass.

I thought the South was known for their hospitality?!

We're hospitable to a point. But you yankees, especially you libtards, have a tendency to get under our skins really quick.

I'm pretty sure I'm welcome in Orlando, Atlanta and New Orleans, you know, the places in the South that are actually worth visiting. The rest of the South is just the area you have to drive through to get to those 3 places.

I'm actually glad you think that way. No chance of you stopping in my little corner of paradise except to top your 0bamamobile off with fuel and move on.

Unreconstructed Reb
10-19-2012, 09:39 AM

I don't know why you older CU'ers think so highly of this noonwicth. She's just a radical leftie elitist and her true leftie prejudices came out in that post to me.

obx
10-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Face it Reb. The War of Northern Aggression has never really ended. I see it all during tourist season. I was at a pig picking one year and a yankee was telling me how backward and stupid Southerners were and then he asked me how much lettuce it took to make coleslaw. Hell, most of them still think the War was over slavery.You know why they like to come down South? TO GET AWAY FROM ALL THOSE YANKEES!

noonwitch
10-19-2012, 11:28 AM

I was responding in kind to someone else's comments.

Hell, we wouldn't have such a thing as "American cusine" if it wasn't for the south.

Hawkgirl
10-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Face it Reb. The War of Northern Aggression has never really ended. I see it all during tourist season. I was at a pig picking one year and a yankee was telling me how backward and stupid Southerners were and then he asked me how much lettuce it took to make coleslaw. Hell, most of them still think the War was over slavery.You know why they like to come down South? TO GET AWAY FROM ALL THOSE YANKEES!

Yankees are in their own little world. They believe the world revolves around them and that everyone is stupid, except for them. They are also the most racist people you'll ever meet. The libs up there would not set foot in a black neighborhood. NY is still to this day very segregated.
There is a neighborhood for every ethnic group. When "black people" start moving in their neighborhoods, they start to move out. They all claim to love the blacks, but don't you dare move one next to thier house. They are the usual lib hypocrits.

NJCardFan
10-19-2012, 01:19 PM

Wow. You people are carrying a grudge longer than blacks are about slavery. You lost the war. Get over it already.

noonwitch
10-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Yankees are in their own little world. They believe the world revolves around them and that everyone is stupid, except for them. They are also the most racist people you'll ever meet. The libs up there would not set foot in a black neighborhood. NY is still to this day very segregated.
There is a neighborhood for every ethnic group. When "black people" start moving in their neighborhoods, they start to move out. They all claim to love the blacks, but don't you dare move one next to thier house. They are the usual lib hypocrits.

You are right about northern segregation, at least in big cities like Detroit, Chicago, etc. Although I live in a fairly integrated part of Warren (I'd say it's 60% white, 40% black), most people in the Detroit suburbs don't. I also lived in a Detroit neighborhood for 12 years in which I was definitely in the minority as a white person.

I am in Detroit daily, though. I work here, and I go out into the neighborhoods to visit clients. In 25 years of living and working in this area, I have never been the victim of a crime.

Grand Rapids is not so much like that, though. It was when I was a kid, but not so much now. The suburbs and city are both pretty integrated, although I suspect there are not tons of black people in the wealthiest suburbs, like EGR and Ada. Kentwood, where I grew up, has a majority black population at this time.

Starbuck
10-19-2012, 04:44 PM

A black friend from the navy put it this way:
In the South they hate the race, but love each individual.
In the North they love the race but hate each individual.

Bailey
10-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Dude, if you're in Philly, surely you've seen Camden.

Camden is bad but not as large as Detroit, camden is another failed example of democratic leadership

Unreconstructed Reb
10-22-2012, 10:46 AM

Which puts us native Southron's in the peculiar position of having to move from our homes to get away from the damn yankees that moved from their norther cesspools to get away from their stinking yankee neighbors and kin and then try to turn the South into a warmer version of the shitholes that they left! But I ain't leaving. Gonna fit em all I can. :evil-grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8ZA_8l3YVg&feature=related

Unreconstructed Reb
10-22-2012, 10:50 AM

Here, here! My ex wife from Jersey's parents were both union card carrying libtards but you should have heard the racist shit that spewed from their pie holes! Opened my eyes up.

Rockntractor
10-22-2012, 10:52 AM
I guess I need to go out and target practice with my engine block remover.

Unreconstructed Reb
10-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Wow. You people are carrying a grudge longer than blacks are about slavery. You lost the war. Get over it already.

As you can tell that ain't gonna happen and if y'all continue increasing this trickle down invasion it's gonna get worse. Southerner's and yankees ain't never got along and probably never will.

Eupher
10-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Point of order for noonwitch.

I was born in Detroit and grew up in the 'burbs.

Based on my own research, "white flight" actually began in the Fifties (which kinda dovetails in with my own history), long before the '67 riots.

Mayor Jerry Cavanaugh, in the early Sixties, basically got the lib juggernaut moving. He had a lot of help when the next criminal mayor came to office -- the infamous Coleman Young. And now you've got Kwame. :evil-grin:

The liberal agenda and powerful unions essentially destroyed Detroit. It is a sucking chest wound.

Even life support won't save it. Things have gotten so bad that vigilantism is the method by which people protect themselves, especially since the cops might make it out to your house to investigate that burglar you're pretty sure is there.

Only problem with that is, the cops won't be there till tomorrow. Maybe.

noonwitch
10-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Point of order for noonwitch.

I was born in Detroit and grew up in the 'burbs.

Based on my own research, "white flight" actually began in the Fifties (which kinda dovetails in with my own history), long before the '67 riots.

Mayor Jerry Cavanaugh, in the early Sixties, basically got the lib juggernaut moving. He had a lot of help when the next criminal mayor came to office -- the infamous Coleman Young. And now you've got Kwame. :evil-grin:

The liberal agenda and powerful unions essentially destroyed Detroit. It is a sucking chest wound.

Even life support won't save it. Things have gotten so bad that vigilantism is the method by which people protect themselves, especially since the cops might make it out to your house to investigate that burglar you're pretty sure is there.

Only problem with that is, the cops won't be there till tomorrow. Maybe.

I'm not disputing the history as you've laid it out. I've been watching almost as long, although I was born in the mid 60s, I remember the Detroit of around 1970 pretty well. It was still a nice place, then, but by 1978 (when my grandparents retired and moved out of the city), it was bad. I moved to this area in 1987, and lived in the city from 1989-2001. I still live within a block of the city limits (8 Mile Rd). Things in the city are worse now than when I moved out. Kwame made things worse than they were under Archer, who had made some progress in his 8 years as mayor. I moved out a few months before the election that made Kwame mayor. When Archer chose not to run again, I new it was going to get a lot worse fairly quickly.

But it's easy for suburbanites to blame those who remained in the city. And, most of the residents today had nothing to do with Coleman Young's reign, nor do they even know who Jerry Cavanaugh was (although some know his son as a Juvenile Court Judge). White people in the suburbs have been blaming the black people in the city for poverty, crime and all of the other problems in the city for at least 40 years at this point, but very few people have done anything other than criticize, blame or complain. Black people in the city do the same thing-blame white people for abandoning the city, yet don't exactly make them welcome when they visit. One former governor from rural Michigan even advised Bill Gates not to donate any computer equipment to the Detroit Public Schools, even though that governor had taken over the DPS and had appointed his people to control it at that point. Gates donated the equipment anyways.

Everyone blames someone else and no one ever comes up with any type of solution. The current mayor (Bing, D) and the current governor (Snyder, R) actually are trying to work together to come up with some ideas and plans to help the city. They end up fighting both the city council and the state legislature to get anything done.

In the meantime, there are still roughly 700,000 residents left in the city. They are not all drug addicts, welfare recipients and beggars, contrary to what you might think. There are many veterans, seniors, children and so on left in a city with hardly any police, horrible schools, no jobs, and crappy public transportation. We're lucky that Bing and Snyder have managed to convince Meijer to build two stores in the city-one at 8 Mile and Woodward and one at Grand River and McNichols. We are also lucky that there are some good churches/temples/mosques on both sides of 8 Mile Road that feed the poor, help the addicted get treatment and run homeless shelters and vocational programs.

I am not objecting to criticism of Detroit, I am objecting to the dehumanization of the people who live there by those who say things like "blow up Detroit" or "let it rot". Statements like that have nothing to do with conservatism or liberalism, and everything to do with claiming that 700,000 people have no use to the rest of the US, because we don't like their politics.

I personally think we should start doing child sponsorships in Detroit (and Camden). Once you put a face and a name to a child, it's kind of hard to look the other way.

Eupher
10-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks for your comments, but after having worked on 8 Mile Rd. (just north of Detroit in Ferndale) for more than two years (from 94-97) and having a brother who spends most of his time in the city (and thus regales me of his "stories" which are not printable here), I know enough to know to stay the hell out of that place.

Well, most of the time.

In August 2011, my siblings and I, along with my wife, actually went to a Tigers baseball game in Comerica Park. I simply could not believe the degradation, filth, and complete abysmal neighborhood just north of the baseball park. Burned out wrecks of crackhouses, well, you get the idea.

I'm sure there are a number of people remaining in the city who haven't completely acquiesced to the welfare-grabbing, nanny-state-loving populace that remains in the city.

Both of them.

Flip commentary aside, I think what you're hearing (though I'm in no position to actually translate what was meant) is simply that there is a sizable percentage of the people in that city who have become dependent on Wayne County, the city of Detroit, and the state of Michigan to "fix" things. Perhaps that's their only option -- allowing the government to "fix" their problems.

Speaking for myself, I'm of the opinion that depending on the government to "fix" my problems won't fix anything. Instead, my problems will likely increase and I, as a result, will become even more dependent on the government to "fix" those problems too.

I'm reminded of entire communities destroyed by Cat 5 tornadoes, yet pick up the broken pieces of their lives and start again -- with minimal intrusion by government.

I'm sure you've seen the stories, so I won't trouble you with the details.

Bottom line is - the solutions to the problems lie with the same people you're defending. And I'm not seeing a lot of results in that area. Why? Because the citizens continue to look to government to solve their problems.

Dave Bing was a great basketball player in his day, but I've heard this story about how Bing and the Gov are "working out their differences" such that the city isn't taken over by a council which would be empowered to cut the crap and start making things happen -- even some painful things that nobody really wants to embrace.

Last I heard, they're still "talking." Meanwhile, the trash isn't removed, squatters are kicking homeowners out of their own property, the crackhouses continue to flourish, and the cops show up long after the perp has been shot by the vigilante homeowner because the homeowner didn't have a choice.

LukeEDay
10-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Did someone mention 8 mile?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO2wA0Te0wM

Hawkgirl
10-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Noonwitch, after spending so many years on this board, it surprises me that you continue to defend your political belief system. Especially after seeing first hand the decay it brings to any society. Growth comes from within; from self-reliance, not from government hand outs. While I understand your compassion for the youth and the elderly that stayed in Detroit despite it's degeneration, you have to wake up and realize dependency on government has only led to despair.

AmPat
10-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Nobody retires to the North! So please, when you Yankees move to the South, please check your arrogance at the Mason-Dixon line and your great ideas and politics behind. You left there after screwing everything up, remember?

noonwitch
10-23-2012, 02:43 PM
In August 2011, my siblings and I, along with my wife, actually went to a Tigers baseball game in Comerica Park. I simply could not believe the degradation, filth, and complete abysmal neighborhood just north of the baseball park. Burned out wrecks of crackhouses, well, you get the idea.

Dude, that's where our new hockey stadium is going to be built! The Pizza Caesar wants a new arena for the Wings, and he usually gets what he wants.

Madisonian
10-25-2012, 07:42 PM
The arrogance and ignorance from both sides of the Mason-Dixon line in this thread is amazing.
And I thought the French and Italians had us Americans beat in both departments.

AmPat
10-26-2012, 07:24 PM
The arrogance and ignorance from both sides of the Mason-Dixon line in this thread is amazing.
And I thought the French and Italians had us Americans beat in both departments.

Care to list those?

Madisonian
10-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Its obvious you have read the thread and I don't assume you to be an illiterate Southerner any more than I am some Yankee in my own little world.

Unreconstructed Reb
10-27-2012, 09:38 AM

The arrogance and ignorance is one sided and it's all yankee. 99% of the time you yanks don't have a clue what you're talking about and usually try to win your pitiful arguments with 'you lost, shut up'. What in the hell is more ignorant and arrogant than a statement like that?

Madisonian
10-27-2012, 09:46 AM
The arrogance and ignorance is one sided and it's all yankee. 99% of the time you yanks don't have a clue what you're talking about and usually try to win your pitiful arguments with 'you lost, shut up'. What in the hell is more ignorant and arrogant than a statement like that?

Game, set, match.

Novaheart
10-27-2012, 09:59 AM
It's funny, those are the three places that the rest of us drive around to get where we're going.

Isn't that the truth! IN 1986 when I drove back from California, New Orleans was on the list of places I would spend the night and visit. Last summer going to and from California and again when planning my sister's final trip to California, New Orleans was high on the list of places where it was important to get on the bypass. It's not that I hate New Orleans, it's just that it really isn't enjoyable enough to take time out from a long trip. I suppose it would be fun to go there with a group of friends, but certainly not with children in tow.

Atlanta, on the other hand, has apparently changed too much. When I was a child, my dad would take us there for his own nostalgia and I remember it being beautiful. Last summer I was there, granted it was cloudy and raining, and it looked rather colorless and industrial; not to mention that the traffic was awful even in Roswell where I was staying.

Orlando was a nice town before Disney. Now it's crap.

Novaheart
10-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Nobody retires to the North! So please, when you Yankees move to the South, please check your arrogance at the Mason-Dixon line and your great ideas and politics behind. You left there after screwing everything up, remember?

Amazingly, some do. There are some insane people whose idea of heaven is to be trapped in an A-frame with a gas fireplace overlooking a lake with water so cold that it will kill you at various speeds anytime during the year. There are people who love wearing four layers of clothes, and spending all day cooking because it's too cold to do anything else. We call them alcoholics.

Northerners in general drink more than Southerners.

http://gantdaily.com/2011/11/17/drinking-in-the-u-s-hit-a-25-year-high-in-2010/

djones520
10-27-2012, 10:09 AM

Certainly where I'm retiring to. Northwest Michigan will be home when the AF is done with me.

djones520
10-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Amazingly, some do. There are some insane people whose idea of heaven is to be trapped in an A-frame with a gas fireplace overlooking a lake with water so cold that it will kill you at various speeds anytime during the year. There are people who love wearing four layers of clothes, and spending all day cooking because it's too cold to do anything else. We call them alcoholics.

Northerners in general drink more than Southerners.

http://gantdaily.com/2011/11/17/drinking-in-the-u-s-hit-a-25-year-high-in-2010/

We can also drive better then you folks who piss yourselves at the site of snow.

Unreconstructed Reb
10-27-2012, 12:54 PM
We can also drive better then you folks who piss yourselves at the site of snow.

I'm throwing the bullshit flag on that. I'm a native Southerner and I took a job in Michigan once and spent about 4 years up there and I found out quickly that most of you yankee turds can't drive in the snow worth a damn. I guess you just think that you can drive in the snow because you're about half hammered all the time. Sure, you got snowy roads but they salt the shit out of them up there and for most of the state if you run off the road you just slide into a cornfield. Try driving on a snowy, narrow road in the Blue Ridge Mountains sometime where if you make a mistake and slide off the road it's a long, long way until that sudden stop with little chance of survival. These mountain roads would have you pissing yourself even without snow.

djones520
10-27-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm throwing the bullshit flag on that. I'm a native Southerner and I took a job in Michigan once and spent about 4 years up there and I found out quickly that most of you yankee turds can't drive in the snow worth a damn. I guess you just think that you can drive in the snow because you're about half hammered all the time. Sure, you got snowy roads but they salt the shit out of them up there and for most of the state if you run off the road you just slide into a cornfield. Try driving on a snowy, narrow road in the Blue Ridge Mountains sometime where if you make a mistake and slide off the road it's a long, long way until that sudden stop with little chance of survival. These mountain roads would have you pissing yourself even without snow.

Just because everyone was swerving to avoid you, doesn't make them bad drivers. My time in South Carolina taught me that your Drivers Ed teaching you to speed up when the roads get icy, as opposed to slow down.

Unreconstructed Reb
10-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Just because everyone was swerving to avoid you, doesn't make them bad drivers. My time in South Carolina taught me that your Drivers Ed teaching you to speed up when the roads get icy, as opposed to slow down.

Being bad drivers makes them bad drivers and being drunk all the time makes them worse.

Where in SC and for how long?

djones520
10-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Being bad drivers makes them bad drivers and being drunk all the time makes them worse.

Where in SC and for how long?

Sumter, 1.5 years. Couldn't get out of that place fast enough.

Unreconstructed Reb
10-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Sumter, 1.5 years. Couldn't get out of that place fast enough.

We wish all you yankees felt that way...............

Novaheart
10-27-2012, 02:29 PM

It snows in most of the South; some places regularly, some places every ten years. Of course, what we considered snowfall when I was a kid was rather sad. I remember one year my dad and the other dads at the Elks Club actually shoveled snow onto what passed for a hill, so the kids could sled. We went right down the hill and into the water trap on the golf course, which was barely frozen, and got all wet. Dads and kids were all in trouble with the moms that day. The best kind of snow is when it snows like hell Christmas Eve, and there is a good foot of snow in the morning and then it's 70F. That was 1964.

djones520
10-27-2012, 02:33 PM
We wish all you yankees felt that way...............

I've also done Texas, Florida, Mississippi, and Louisiana in my time. Even considering Georgia for my next assignment. I've spent more of my life in the South then the North.

And I'm still retiring to the north.

Rockntractor
10-27-2012, 02:38 PM
I've also done Texas, Florida, Mississippi, and Louisiana in my time. Even considering Georgia for my next assignment. I've spent more of my life in the South then the North.

I wish I had settled somewhere in the Rockies.

djones520
10-27-2012, 02:43 PM

It's pretty out there. I wouldn't be adverse to western South Dakota.

Unreconstructed Reb
10-27-2012, 03:59 PM

Good. The average IQ should increase immediately upon your departure.

djones520
10-27-2012, 04:02 PM

I'm a product of Texas, Louisiana, and Florida schools, so watch what your insulting there.

Odysseus
10-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Dude, that's where our new hockey stadium is going to be built! The Pizza Caesar wants a new arena for the Wings, and he usually gets what he wants.

In a decade, it will be as disheveled and decrepit as the rest of the city. You have no tax base. Without that, you can build anything you like, and it will fall into ruin.

First, the rural electrification programs forced hundreds of thousands of people out of their homes with minimal due process, and cost far more than private sector programs would have. Second, the elimination of Jim Crow wasn't simply a matter of liberal northerners suddenly developing a backbone, it also involved the efforts of conservative Republicans, who had to overcome the prejudices of progressives like Wilson and FDR. Wilson, like many progressives, bought into a Darwinian idea of social progress that presumed that evolution could be forced through eugenics and that the undesirable classes should be constrained in their liberties. FDR refused to sign off on anti-lynching legislation, even as blacks were fighting and dying for America during WWII. Even Truman, who desegregated the armed forces, has a history of racially horrific statements. Finally, Jim Crow didn't simply die, it migrated. The cities of the north were just as heavily segregated as those in the south, but they were segregated by stealth, rather than law. The manipulation of zoning laws, for example, or the locations of housing projects, even the placement of roads, contributed to the creation and enforcement of segregation in cities like Chicago, Detroit and New York. Get off the high horse.

When (not if) Obama loses, the Democrats and the media (but I repeat myself) will do everything in their power to spark unrest on a national scale. They will do whatever they can to deligitemize Romney's win, and what better way to do that than with massive civil unrest?

As a northerner who has lived in rural Texas, I can safely say that you don't know what you are talking about. The vast majority of southerners are among the nicest people that you will ever meet. They live in communities that lack the kinds of entertainments that many urban northerners enjoy, such as clubs with epilepsy-inducing effects and music whose sole purpose appears to be an attempt to create nostalgia for the craft and sophistication of disco, or restaurants that charge a month's salary for food that your cat wouldn't touch, but they manage to amuse and feed themselves. True, southerners may not wear the latest fashions from Los Angeles, but in all fairness, most Angelinos don't, either, and those who do tend to be what the rest of us refer to as "morons." As for the sophistication of your home town, the few parts that haven't been burnt to the ground by the locals may actually have something going for them, but since one cannot get there without an armed escort (and by armed escort, I mean a full Brigade Combat Team), we may never know the charms of Detroit. OTOH, having been to Baghdad, I don't feel that I've missed anything, as Iraqi infrastructure tends to be more reliable and in better repair than Michigan's, and the level of sectarian violence is about the same.

Rockntractor
10-27-2012, 04:25 PM
http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/musique/siffleur.gif

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/Gomez-s-Train-Wreck-addams-family-5_zpsf9902a1a.jpg

Unreconstructed Reb
10-27-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm a product of Texas, Louisiana, and Florida schools, so watch what your insulting there.

Ones ability to think has nothing to do with where one was educated.

I stand by my previous comment.

Hawkgirl
10-27-2012, 06:30 PM
In a decade, it will be as disheveled and decrepit as the rest of the city. You have no tax base. Without that, you can build anything you like, and it will fall into ruin.

First, the rural electrification programs forced hundreds of thousands of people out of their homes with minimal due process, and cost far more than private sector programs would have. Second, the elimination of Jim Crow wasn't simply a matter of liberal northerners suddenly developing a backbone, it also involved the efforts of conservative Republicans, who had to overcome the prejudices of progressives like Wilson and FDR. Wilson, like many progressives, bought into a Darwinian idea of social progress that presumed that evolution could be forced through eugenics and that the undesirable classes should be constrained in their liberties. FDR refused to sign off on anti-lynching legislation, even as blacks were fighting and dying for America during WWII. Even Truman, who desegregated the armed forces, has a history of racially horrific statements. Finally, Jim Crow didn't simply die, it migrated. The cities of the north were just as heavily segregated as those in the south, but they were segregated by stealth, rather than law. The manipulation of zoning laws, for example, or the locations of housing projects, even the placement of roads, contributed to the creation and enforcement of segregation in cities like Chicago, Detroit and New York. Get off the high horse.

When (not if) Obama loses, the Democrats and the media (but I repeat myself) will do everything in their power to spark unrest on a national scale. They will do whatever they can to deligitemize Romney's win, and what better way to do that than with massive civil unrest?

As a northerner who has lived in rural Texas, I can safely say that you don't know what you are talking about. The vast majority of southerners are among the nicest people that you will ever meet. They live in communities that lack the kinds of entertainments that many urban northerners enjoy, such as clubs with epilepsy-inducing effects and music whose sole purpose appears to be an attempt to create nostalgia for the craft and sophistication of disco, or restaurants that charge a month's salary for food that your cat wouldn't touch, but they manage to amuse and feed themselves. True, southerners may not wear the latest fashions from Los Angeles, but in all fairness, most Angelinos don't, either, and those who do tend to be what the rest of us refer to as "morons." As for the sophistication of your home town, the few parts that haven't been burnt to the ground by the locals may actually have something going for them, but since one cannot get there without an armed escort (and by armed escort, I mean a full Brigade Combat Team), we may never know the charms of Detroit. OTOH, having been to Baghdad, I don't feel that I've missed anything, as Iraqi infrastructure tends to be more reliable and in better repair than Michigan's, and the level of sectarian violence is about the same.

I get all giddy when Ody delivers his smackdowns.:cool:

Hawkgirl
10-27-2012, 06:37 PM
I grew up in NYC. I moved to Florida in 2001. I bought real estate in Georgia in 2007. I wouldn't go back to the Northeast unless I was forced by gunpoint.

ABC in Georgia
10-27-2012, 07:05 PM

Oh no you don't! :nono:

Get those little ol' hands off him sweet thing.

He's mine ... I flirted with him first ... back in another thread! ... :evil-grin:

Hawkgirl
10-27-2012, 07:26 PM

He's mine ... I flirted with him first ... back in another thread! ... :evil-grin:,

Listen Newbie, I knew him first.

ABC in Georgia
10-27-2012, 08:06 PM

Well, you pretty little blue-haired thing, you ... :smile-new:

Sharpen up those claws and get your little ol' self ready for a good ol' fashioned cat-fight, darlin, ... 'cause

Rats! Gotta go, Mr. ABC is bringing in the burgers.

This dealing with 2 men at the same time, has it's downside!!! :biggrin-new:

Pistols at dawn?

Madisonian
10-27-2012, 09:21 PM

Well, maybe y'all will finally break 50.
That's a joke. I have never bought into this North vs. South thing. The North gave us Lincoln, Kennedy and FDR. The South gave us Carter, Clinton and LBJ. I'd say that about makes us even.

Odysseus
10-27-2012, 10:59 PM

He's mine ... I flirted with him first ... back in another thread! ... :evil-grin:

Well, you pretty little blue-haired thing, you ... :smile-new:

Sharpen up those claws and get your little ol' self ready for a good ol' fashioned cat-fight, darlin, ... 'cause

Rats! Gotta go, Mr. ABC is bringing in the burgers.

This dealing with 2 men at the same time, has it's downside!!! :biggrin-new:

Pistols at dawn?

Ladies, please. Catfights are only permitted in threads with photos. :evil-grin:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkyevf_catfight_shortfilms
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkyevf_catfight_shortfilms

Well, maybe y'all will finally break 50.
That's a joke. I have never bought into this North vs. South thing. The North gave us Lincoln, Kennedy and FDR. The South gave us Carter, Clinton and LBJ. I'd say that about makes us even.

Every region has its good points and its bad. California gave us all manner of mischief, but it also gave us Reagan. The south has some of the nicest people that you will ever meet, but it also has Nova. As for my home town, it has given us pizza, bagels, the Yankees and Rudy Giuliani, but it also gave us the all sorts of leftist idiocy. Even Detroit must have its good points, although to hear Noonie tell it, the place is the second coming of Athens during the golden age of Pericles. Regardless, we have an election to win. If Michigan goes for Romney, then it will have scored a lot of points in my book.

AmPat
10-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Me too,,Oh, I did.

AmPat
10-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Its obvious you have read the thread and I don't assume you to be an illiterate Southerner any more than I am some Yankee in my own little world.
Wow, those two comparos are certainly equal. Illiterate Southerner vs a Yankee in his own little world. :rolleyes:

Yes, I did read the thread and was wondering if you wanted to do a side by side comparison since you felt the need to make moral equivalents between the two camps. I was hoping you would expose my bias.

Unreconstructed Reb
10-28-2012, 10:21 AM
I have never bought into this North vs. South thing.

So, you reject history?

The North gave us Lincoln, Kennedy and FDR. The South gave us Carter, Clinton and LBJ. I'd say that about makes us even.

The north has given us labor unions, political correctness, plutocracy by Ivy Leaguers, radical liberalism, radical feminism, radical environmentalism, socialism, etc. And you want to call it even!?!

Odysseus
10-28-2012, 12:21 PM
The north has given us labor unions, political correctness, plutocracy by Ivy Leaguers, radical liberalism, radical feminism, radical environmentalism, socialism, etc. And you want to call it even!?!

And among the people who instituted these as US Government policies were Woodrow Wilson of Virginia, Lyndon Johnson of Texas and Bill Clinton of Arkansas. Leftist idiocy is not bound by state lines.

Unreconstructed Reb
10-28-2012, 02:26 PM
And among the people who instituted these as US Government policies were Woodrow Wilson of Virginia, Lyndon Johnson of Texas and Bill Clinton of Arkansas. Leftist idiocy is not bound by state lines.

Leftist idiocy is not bound by state lines but it is unarguably more prevalent in the north, particularly the northeast.

3rd-try
10-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Just read the entire thread. Lots of insight. No need to rehash the war between the states for me. I've noticed that conservatives from the north and south, with proper introductions seem to get along quite well. Neither expect to get much for free and don't waste much energy blaming somebody else for what they don't have. That is usually enough common ground...even if they do talk funny.

Odysseus
10-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Leftist idiocy is not bound by state lines but it is unarguably more prevalent in the north, particularly the northeast.

And the coasts. The electoral map shows that. But we don't gain much by arguing with each other. I ragged on Michigan because Detroit is a pit, even if the rest of the state is not, and because Noonie's rant about southerners set me off, but I'm much more sympathetic to southerners after my stints at FT Knox and FT Hood. Most liberals haven't had that experience, so they are unlikely to know more than the stereotypes, but since liberals deal almost exclusively in stereotypes, there's not much else to do but puncture them.

Just read the entire thread. Lots of insight. No need to rehash the war between the states for me. I've noticed that conservatives from the north and south, with proper introductions seem to get along quite well. Neither expect to get much for free and don't waste much energy blaming somebody else for what they don't have. That is usually enough common ground...even if they do talk funny.

Exactly. QFT.