PDA

View Full Version : Skinner introduces rating system for posts

Kimberly
09-23-2008, 09:08 PM
This ought to enhance the mob mentality at DU. (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4070591)

Skinner ADMIN (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-23-08 06:05 PM
Original message
You asked for it -- you got it! A better way to rate discussion threads on Democratic Underground!
For years, DU members have been asking for a better way to recommend discussion threads. Our old system was moderately useful, but it had some glaring problems. The biggest problem was that it did not give an accurate representation of how the community as a whole viewed a particular discussion thread -- you could express your approval by recommending a thread, but there wasn't any way to express disapproval. It was an imprecise and unreliable way of picking the (supposedly) best discussion threads, and the time has come for something better.

So after much consideration, we have decided to retire our old recommend function, and replace it with a new thread rating system. The new thread rating system is essentially a modified "five-star" rating, except without the stars. We decided not to use stars for a few reasons:

First, we thought it would be confusing or inappropriate to use a star-rating system when trying to rate threads about bad news. Imagine, God forbid, that there is a terrorist attack or natural disaster. That is important news that members should read about, but it seems somehow inappropriate to rate something like that as "five stars," as some may interpret such a rating as being tantamount to approval.

Second, we wanted to give some actual meaning to the ratings, so there is a general understanding of what they are supposed to mean. A number of stars is meaningless -- what constitutes five stars or one star is completely arbitrary. That might be fine for rating movies, but for rating news and political opinion, it seems inadequate. Instead of using the system simply to express "I agree!/I disagree!" or "I like it!/I don't like it!" our hope is that these ratings will be more useful than that. Instead, we hope that people will rate threads based on whether they are worth reading or a waste of time. So our five "stars" are these:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/rate-mustread.gifhttp://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/rate-recommended.gifhttp://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/rate-average.gifhttp://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/rate-skipit.gif

Please go to DU to read the rest of the details .

FarceOfNature (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-23-08 07:06 PM
Response to Original message
87. Question: will the mods/admins be keeping track of DUers' ratings?
would it be conceivable that someone would be warned/banned for using this system in some particular way? Obviously, I'm thinking back to the tombstones that were given out for voting certain ways in a controversial poll...

Richardo (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-23-08 07:41 PM
105. In all seriousness, I recommend deactivating this feature in the Lounge
It's just begging for clique wars, abuse and thousands of copycat threads.

And, let's face it, there's nothing 'must read' in the Lounge.

antfarm (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-23-08 07:44 PM
107. This is obnoxious and completely unnecessary,
Edited on Tue Sep-23-08 08:39 PM by antfarm
and it will discourage the most interesting, controversial discussions.

It will also exacerbate the junior high school mentality of labeling as a substitute for actual discussion. Adults have always had the option of ignoring or alerting, if the post is really that bad.

Hopefully this will go the way of the last ill-fated idea: letting the OP exclude specific responders to a thread.

Seriously, you have a good board going here. Stop trying to be cute or fancy or controlling.

Just let adults talk. Please.

ralph wiggum
09-23-2008, 09:13 PM
DUmbest idea since $kimmer decided to display each user's ignore lists. Now, the ignore lists were cool for us to look at, but bad for the DUmmies. :D

Bubba Dawg
09-23-2008, 09:16 PM
So now even DUll DUmmies can be instructed what to think.

BadCat
09-23-2008, 09:16 PM
DUmbest idea since $kimmer decided to display each user's ignore lists. Now, the ignore lists were cool for us to look at, but bad for the DUmmies. :D

It will probably break the DUmpDiver program, and I'll have to fix it again.

Gingersnap
09-23-2008, 09:21 PM
It will probably break the DUmpDiver program, and I'll have to fix it again.

How is the DUmpDiver program doing right now?

BadCat
09-23-2008, 09:34 PM
How is the DUmpDiver program doing right now?

I just checked, it did indeed break it. Have to change it to skip over that "rating" column. No biggie.

Last run was on 9/9. There were 5477 individual DUmmies.

Dan D. Doty
09-23-2008, 09:50 PM
So now even DUll DUmmies can be instructed what to think.

Of course, that's what the Hive mind is all about; death of free will.

Gingersnap
09-23-2008, 10:36 PM
I just checked, it did indeed break it. Have to change it to skip over that "rating" column. No biggie.

Last run was on 9/9. There were 5477 individual DUmmies.

I miss your updates on this and other topics. :(

PoliCon
09-24-2008, 12:14 AM
So now even DUll DUmmies can be instructed what to think.I had the exact same thought.

FDK
09-24-2008, 02:37 AM
K & R!

(Edited to meet 10 character minimum.)

biccat
09-24-2008, 08:28 AM
I miss your updates on this and other topics. :(
Ditto. I miss the periodic updates from the DUmp when we find out that "Name Removed" has been the most prolific poster.

FlaGator
09-24-2008, 09:01 AM

His dumbest idea was the modifications to allow members to block other members from replying to the original member's posts or posting on thread that the first member started. I got to be a case of most everyone was blocked from everyone elses threads. I took one look at that idea and knew that it wasn't going to end very well.