PDA

View Full Version : The October Surprise

Rockntractor
10-21-2012, 12:43 AM
The October Surprise
October 20, 2012 - 7:16 pm - by Michael Ledeen

The New York Times reports (and the White House denies) that “The United States and Iran have agreed for the first time to one-on-one negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program, according to Obama administration officials, setting the stage for what could be a last-ditch diplomatic effort to avert a military strike on Iran.”

Two of the three assertions in that lead paragraph are demonstrably false. One-on-one negotiations have been going on for years (most recently, according to my friend “Reza Kahlili,” in Doha, where, he was told, Valerie Jarrett and other American officials recently traveled for the latest talks). The only news here is that the talks would no longer be secret. And the notion that only diplomacy can avert “a military strike on Iran” is fanciful. There are at least two other ways: sanctions may compel the regime to stop its nuclear weapons program, or the Iranian people may find a way to overthrow the regime, thereby (perhaps, at least) rendering military action unnecessary.

I rather suspect that you don’t have to do anything to avoid an American military strike on Iran. I can’t imagine an Obama Administration authorizing a military attack. An administration that can barely bring itself to fly air cover in Libya, and can’t bring itself to take any serious action in Syria, strikes me as very unlikely to unleash our armed forces against the mullahs.

As for the claim that Iran has agreed to talks, even that seems problematic, as the Times admits further down in its story: “American officials said they were uncertain whether Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, had signed off on the effort.” If there is no approval from the supreme leader, there is no agreement at all.

The Times’ journalists–Helene Cooper and Mark Lander–then treat us to an attempt to calculate the political significance of their story, but that is as foggy as the report itself. Maybe it would help Obama claim some sort of breakthrough. On the other hand, maybe it would leave him open to the charge that Iran is using him to stall for time. Who knows? They quote America’s favorite negotiator, Dennis Ross, who is of course all for the talks, and even has a negotiating strategy all ready. And they quote Nicholas Burns, who is also supportive.

This last is a bit curious, since Burns, who was Condoleezza Rice’s top negotiator with the Iranians, actually believed he had negotiated a “grand bargain” with the Iranians in 2006. The Iranians would suspend nuclear enrichment and we would lift sanctions. Except that the Iranians failed to show up for the signing ceremony at the United Nations, and Rice and Burns sat in New York waiting for the Iranian airplane to take off from Tehran. Apparently Mr.Burns didn’t learn the obvious lesson.

At least one element of the Times story is true: the agreement, if there actually is one, is undoubtedly ” a result of intense, secret exchanges between American and Iranian officials that date almost to the beginning of President Obama’s term.” Indeed, there were talks between Iranian officials and a representative of the Obama campaign, even before the Inauguration. Secret talks between the two countries have been going on for decades, and I do not know of any American president from Jimmy Carter to the present who did not secretly pursue a deal with Tehran. (I participated in such talks in the mid-1980s during the Reagan Administration).

So what is happening? The most likely explanation is that Obama is still desperately seeking his grand bargain, the one that would validate his (and the Nobel Committee’s) claim to be a talented peace maker. That deal is not available, because the Iranians don’t want it. But he wants something to show for his efforts, so he settled for a big nothingburger: an agreement to talk some more.

Even if the story turns out to be true, I don’t think it will help him. “We’re going to talk to the Iranians!” isn’t a very sexy headline.

The one (mildly) interesting feature is why the story was leaked. Did the leaker(s) think it would help the campaign? Or was the leaker trying to stop yet another embarrassing wasted effort?

Give it a few days, maybe we’ll actually learn something interesting. Maybe it’ll even come up in Monday’s debate…

http://pjmedia.com/michaelledeen/2012/10/20/the-october-surprise/

NJCardFan
10-21-2012, 12:45 AM
I thought the October Surprise is going to come courtesy of Gloria Allred?

Rockntractor
10-21-2012, 10:07 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/fool20me20twice-thumb-700xauto-2078.jpg

SaintLouieWoman
10-21-2012, 11:01 PM
Maybe some people will be gullible enough to believe this BS. Obama must really be stretching, but his loyal lapdogs, the MSM, will trumpet it as a triumph for the Annointed One. Oy!

Elspeth
10-23-2012, 12:43 PM
I really think we need to keep track of all these October surprises. Especially since we only have 9 days left in October:

Donald Trump Ready To Drop 'Gigantic' Bombshell About President Obama, Claims It Could Swing The Election (http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/10/donald-trump-bombshell-president-barack-obama-election)

Donald Trump has announced he has a “gigantic” bombshell about Barack Obama – and he’s going to drop it Wednesday!

The billionaire real estate tycoon has said he has something huge on President Obama …so huge it could swing the election.

Trump, a die hard Republican who considered running against Obama himself at one point, is planning to reveal the shocker via Twitter at some point on Wednesday, he said.

Republicans Rejected Man’s Claims That Obama Sold Cocaine In College (http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/10/president-obama-sold-cocaine-college-trump-charges-republicans-reject)

A man claiming to be a close pal to President Obama during college made contact with Republican operatives recently, ready to go public with claims that Obama used and sold cocaine in college, RadarOnline.com is reporting exclusively.

The operatives tried to spread the story through the media and the Romney campaign, a source close to the situation told Radar.

“At first he wanted to do a book,” a source close to the situation told RadarOnline.com about the alleged college pal. “But there just wasn’t enough time before the election.

Republicans Try To Stop Gloria Allred As Mitt Romney 'October Surprise' Drama Builds (http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/10/mitt-romney-october-surprise-gloria-allred)

The Republican party is bracing itself - and preparing to fight back - against Gloria Allred's rumored "October Surprise" on Republican presidential hopeful, Mitt Romney, RadarOnline.com is exclusively reporting.

"We're doing too well to risk 'an Allred,' she can be stopped, but it will take action on our behalf," a GOP watchdog group blogged, asking supporters to contact Romney's campaign headquarters and the Republican National Committee.

noonwitch
10-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Who knows what Trump is going to say, or if there's any truth to anything he says about Obama. If it's more birther nonsense, he's really jumping the shark. If it's Larry Sinclair's "Obama's gay" nonsense, he's a fool. Maybe he's making Dennis Rodman endorse Romney as a condition of his appearance in the all-star Celebrity Apprentice?

Same for Gloria Allred. I doubt she has anything major on Romney, although if there is any truth to Obama's charge that Romney invested in a Chinese oil company that traded with Iran, well, that could be the October Surprise. I doubt that Romney plans on spending the next two weeks defending himself on that, especially if there is a clear papertrail. I just can't see the dems trusting her with something like that. That's the kind of thing they would leak to CNN, and let them present it.

Elspeth
10-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Who knows what Trump is going to say, or if there's any truth to anything he says about Obama. If it's more birther nonsense, he's really jumping the shark. If it's Larry Sinclair's "Obama's gay" nonsense, he's a fool. Maybe he's making Dennis Rodman endorse Romney as a condition of his appearance in the all-star Celebrity Apprentice?

Same for Gloria Allred. I doubt she has anything major on Romney, although if there is any truth to Obama's charge that Romney invested in a Chinese oil company that traded with Iran, well, that could be the October Surprise. I doubt that Romney plans on spending the next two weeks defending himself on that, especially if there is a clear papertrail. I just can't see the dems trusting her with something like that. That's the kind of thing they would leak to CNN, and let them present it.

Do you really think Americans would freak out about an investment? I think that's waaaay to boring for most of our countrymen. My guess is that, if something comes out and Trump isn't just trying to--er--trump Gloria Alred, it will involve sex, drugs, or overt cruelty. Nothing else gets the attention of the vast electorate.

TVDOC
10-23-2012, 02:05 PM

Romney's investments have been in a "blind trust" that he cannot, by law, exercise any control over for nine years..........that dog won't hunt......

doc

noonwitch
10-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Romney's investments have been in a "blind trust" that he cannot, by law, exercise any control over for nine years..........that dog won't hunt......

doc

"The blind trust is an age-old ruse, which is to say you can always tell a blind trust what it can and cannot do".

Mitt Romney, 1994.

TVDOC
10-23-2012, 02:52 PM
"The blind trust is an age-old ruse, which is to say you can always tell a blind trust what it can and cannot do".

Mitt Romney, 1994.

Not in New York, where his is based......check the statute in that state if you wish to confirm.......anyway who cares?? I own a lot of equities, and I certainly don't check where they sell their products, so long as they make money.......plus that information would be damn hard to find.......hint: it isn't in the Annual Report.....

doc

Elspeth
10-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Update! ROFL!

October Surprise Revealed: Gloria Allred Heads To Court, Attempts To Unseal Mitt Romney Testimony And Lift Gag Order (http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/10/gloria-allred-mitt-romney-october-surprise-gag-order)

By Jen Heger - Radar Assistant Managing Editor

Famed civil rights attorney Gloria Allred will be in a Boston area courtroom Wednesday in an attempt to unseal the sworn testimony given by Republican Presidential hopeful Mitt Romney, in a prior court case, RadarOnline.com is exclusively reporting.

"The Boston Globe is headed to court tomorrow morning for an emergency hearing in an attempt to obtain a court order to unseal the sworn testimony given by Mitt Romney in a prior court case and to lift a gag order so that the parties can speak about Romney. Gloria Allred will be in court representing one of the parties in the case," a source close to the situation tells RadarOnline.com.

The emergency hearing will take place at the Norfolk Probate & Family Court in Canton, Massachusetts, and Justice Jennifer Ulwick will oversee the proceedings which will begin at 9 a.m. EST.

As previously reported, Drudge Report founder and respected politico, Matt Drudge, tweeted Thursday: "Here she comes. Hearing Gloria Allred out there again, about to make a move. After all, it's her time of the campaign. Team O at the ready!!"

Allred, an outspoken supporter of President Barack Obama refused to confirm, or deny, Drudge's prediction, telling RadarOnline.com: "I have no comment at this time about Mr. Drudge's Tweet. I don't discuss meetings with potential clients."

President Barack Obama and Governor Mitt Romney are locked in a dead heat according to most polls.

Gloria Allred had no comment on this story.

Zeus
10-23-2012, 06:54 PM
I think the October surprise is there is no October surprise.

Bailey
10-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Update! ROFL!

how could any judge unseal these records so close to an election? WTF man doesn't this bitch have any dignity? Why does obama have to play this way?

SaintLouieWoman
10-23-2012, 07:47 PM
how could any judge unseal these records so close to an election? WTF man doesn't this bitch have any dignity? Why does obama have to play this way?

Bailey, surely you're joking. Gloria A with dignity? She's one of the worst, most shameless ambulance chasers around. Obama has to play this way because he's a Chicago thug. People who think he's such a likeable person haven't really looked at that face of his and those evil eyes.

He reminded me of some sort of voodoo person or witch doctor the way he was staring at Romney last night. God protect the US if the people are foolish enough to reelect him.

Bailey
10-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Bailey, surely you're joking. Gloria A with dignity? She's one of the worst, most shameless ambulance chasers around. Obama has to play this way because he's a Chicago thug. People who think he's such a likeable person haven't really looked at that face of his and those evil eyes.

He reminded me of some sort of voodoo person or witch doctor the way he was staring at Romney last night. God protect the US if the people are foolish enough to reelect him.

I wonder whats sealed and can this hurt Romney? Why would a judge release these records at this time? If i was him, I'd say I will set a court date for 60 days

SaintLouieWoman
10-23-2012, 07:52 PM
I wonder whats sealed and can this hurt Romney? Why would a judge release these records at this time? If i was him, I'd say I will set a court date for 60 days

I'm sure it's a Dem judge. Here's hoping Trump has something to Trump Alred. :biggrin-new:

Elspeth
10-23-2012, 10:58 PM
According to TMZ, it's about Staples owner's divorce:

http://www.tmz.com/2012/10/23/mitt-romney-divorce-thomas-stemberg-maureen-staples-gloria-allred-boston-globe/

MITT ROMNEY
Court Battle Over His Involvement in Bitter Divorce

Mitt Romney was heavily involved in the extremely messy divorce of one of his key supporters ... and the Boston Globe is going to court first thing Wednesday morning in an attempt to unseal the court file as well as lift a gag order ... TMZ has learned.

The divorce was between Staples co-founder Tom Stemberg and his first wife Maureen. We're told the divorce battle lasted for years and was extremely ugly.

Sources tell us Romney gave both a deposition in the divorce and testified in the trial. According to our sources, the Boston Globe got a tip that there was "juicy information about Romney" in the sealed documents.

Romney, Stemberg and Maureen were all served papers by the Globe notifying them that the paper was trying to unseal the case and lift the gag order enforced on all parties.

Our sources say Tom has filed papers opposing the Globe's motion. Romney's lawyers have not responded.

Tom has been a major Romney supporter, even speaking for five minutes at the Republican National Convention.

We're told Gloria Allred represents someone connected with the divorce and we believe -- though we have not confirmed it -- that is Maureen.

If the gag order is lifted, Maureen and others could freely talk about the divorce ... less than two weeks before the election.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz2ABJcR4EB

SaintLouieWoman
10-23-2012, 11:23 PM
When the pres can't win on substance and is caught outright lying to the American people about Libya, he resorts to throwing poo. That's what the chimps do at the St Louis Zoo, sling poo at the vet when they get the chance. Obama isn't exactly in good company, doesn't say a lot about the man or his supporters.

He's a nasty, narrow, empty suit of a president only capable of hanging out with the likes of Gloria Alred, Letterman (another bitter person), and the Hollywood types.

ralph wiggum
10-23-2012, 11:55 PM
I don't get how this will tar Romney at all, if in fact this is Allred's plan. Sounds like desperation to me.

Rockntractor
10-24-2012, 12:01 AM
People are tired of Obama's Chicago politics, this will seal his fate as the worst unethical Presidential imposter in our history, he will be in a class by himself.

Adam Wood
10-24-2012, 01:08 AM
Oh goody. A rehash of the Illinois senate race of '94.

NJCardFan
10-24-2012, 01:36 AM
For the past 4 years, all we heard is the only reason why we oppose Obama is because he's black. Well, to be honest, when I hear of crap like this it makes me think that, and I don't care if this gets me banned or whatever but if you act like a ****** people are going to look at you like you're a ****** and Obama and his cast of clowns are acting like ******s. For the record, there is a fundamental difference between black people and ******s.

Bailey
10-24-2012, 05:34 AM
I just hope this shit doesn't hurt mitts chances and I hope this blows up in Obamas face

noonwitch
10-24-2012, 08:51 AM

Probate and Family Court. That pretty much boils down to one of two things: Probate issues and hearings (wills, guardianships, adult mental health commitments) or Family Court. As I'm pretty sure that Romney's never had a child support case, being married to the mother of his children and all, it could be that he testified at someone else's child support case. Or, if his parents died in MA and there was any situation regarding the will that required testimony, I could see that being a reason he testified in court.

The other thing at Probate and Family court is my field, and I doubt that Romney ever dealt with PS/FC, unless, again, he was helping a friend or family member. Or, if he was subpeonaed in his job as Governor by a judge who didn't like his policies, and he actually showed up in court instead of sending a lackey.

But none of those situations are anything that would hurt him.

Bailey
10-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Probate and Family Court. That pretty much boils down to one of two things: Probate issues and hearings (wills, guardianships, adult mental health commitments) or Family Court. As I'm pretty sure that Romney's never had a child support case, being married to the mother of his children and all, it could be that he testified at someone else's child support case. Or, if his parents died in MA and there was any situation regarding the will that required testimony, I could see that being a reason he testified in court.

The other thing at Probate and Family court is my field, and I doubt that Romney ever dealt with PS/FC, unless, again, he was helping a friend or family member. Or, if he was subpeonaed in his job as Governor by a judge who didn't like his policies, and he actually showed up in court instead of sending a lackey.

But none of those situations are anything that would hurt him.

They are now saying he testified the amount the company was worth, i guess for divorce settlement reasons. I had a hunch that she wanted him to bulk so she could make it appear that he was hiding something. I would never wish cancer on most people but there are a few who deserve it and she is one of them, she gives human filth a bad name.

NJCardFan
10-24-2012, 10:37 AM
This is 3rd world politics at it's worst but in this instance, should she try to unearth something this close to the election, most independent voters are smart enough to know that this is a desperate ploy by a desperate man and no one would want someone like this as their leader outside of his minions. In fact, this wouldn't surprise me to turn off potential Obama voters. Not that they would vote for Romney but they could either just stay home or vote for the Green or Libertarian candidate. But gutter politics is all these people know.

Elspeth
10-24-2012, 10:41 AM
They are now saying he testified the amount the company was worth, i guess for divorce settlement reasons. I had a hunch that she wanted him to bulk so she could make it appear that he was hiding something. I would never wish cancer on most people but there are a few who deserve it and she is one of them, she gives human filth a bad name.

That's strong language about people we don't know very well. It's possible that Maureen got really shafted in the divorce. Tom Stemberg wouldn't be the first rich man trying to screw his wife out of alimony and child support with an army of lawyers.

Now as to Allred, that is another matter. To unseal these records less than two weeks before an election is a craven political move. I am sure that neither Romney nor Stemberg thought that personal records sealed by a court would be unsealed to tank Romney's political career. For the first time, I am grateful that Donald Trump is trying to suck the air out of the room. This is a dirty trick against Romney that has nothing to do with the election. Allred is a craven operator, not just an ambulance chaser. The one good thing about Allred is that she was one of the few feminists who actually came out against both Bill Clinton (with Monica Lewinsky) and OJ Simpson. Rank and file feminists kept silent about both cases. That is why I believe that Allred ultimately operates in her own self interest even while serving left wing political interests. She also belongs to PETA (?) which I have never understood.

Bailey
10-24-2012, 10:46 AM
That's strong language about people we don't know very well. It's possible that Maureen got really shafted in the divorce. Tom Stemberg wouldn't be the first rich man trying to screw his wife out of alimony and child support with an army of lawyers.

Now as to Allred, that is another matter. To unseal these records less than two weeks before an election is a craven political move. I am sure that neither Romney nor Stemberg thought that personal records sealed by a court would be unsealed to tank Romney's political career. For the first time, I am grateful that Donald Trump is trying to suck the air out of the room. This is a dirty trick against Romney that has nothing to do with the election. Allred is a craven operator, not just an ambulance chaser. The one good thing about Allred is that she was one of the few feminists who actually came out against both Bill Clinton (with Monica Lewinsky) and OJ Simpson. Rank and file feminists kept silent about both cases. That is why I believe that Allred ultimately operates in her own self interest even while serving left wing political interests. She also belongs to PETA (?) which I have never understood.

I just cant picture any judge that whats to at least appear to be objective would unseal this records. There is no valid reason but to make Romney look bad (thats saying he did something wrong), the judge should pass a motion saying it will be decided on after the election if its that important.

Elspeth
10-24-2012, 11:02 AM
I just cant picture any judge that whats to at least appear to be objective would unseal this records. There is no valid reason but to make Romney look bad (thats saying he did something wrong), the judge should pass a motion saying it will be decided on after the election if its that important.

I don't either.

I've had a cup of coffee since the last post and have had a bit of a shift in my opinion about Allred's motivations here.

Allred is always about getting a big settlement for her client and herself, of course. She has done this with Hollywood actresses, Tiger Wood mistresses, and various others. I'm wondering if her goal in this is not Romney's destruction, but a huge payday for Maureen and herself. Look at it this way: unlike Trump, Allred has been very silent about the unsealing the records. The online gossip mags carried the stories and Allred has not held her usual press conference with the client. (Allred is famous for her press conferences announcing her lawsuits.)

Here's my take: Gloria has no interest in tanking Romney. She is using the threat of tanking Romney to get Tom Stemberg to pay up.

Tom Stemberg has received a notice about the records and he is fighting the unsealing. Romney has also received notice but has done nothing. One wonders if he hasn't gone to his old buddy Tom and said, "Pay her off and shut her up!" That would much more suit Allred's taste than tanking Romney's campaign.

This theory is also in line with noonwitch's contention that there isn't much to find in these kinds of papers. Let's say that Mitt lied about the total net worth of Staples. I can't see the undecided voters, who already don't pay much attention, focusing long enough to worry about the net value of Staples. It's just not sexy enough.

The only possible political fallout is if Allred can tie Romney to a divorce case in which his friend worked his wife over in court. If the papers show a bitter custody fight, where the children were used a pawns to get Maureen to agree to a lot less money, for example, then the female voters might have a problem with Mitt.

Either way, Allred wins. If she can shake them down, she gets a payday. If she can't, she makes Mitt look like an asshole to women, she tanks Mitt AND gets a payday, eventually. Gloria always gets her money.

Elspeth
10-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Report: Mitt Romney OK with unsealing testimony (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/82805.html)

Mitt Romney doesn’t object to the unsealing of his testimony in the divorce case of a friend, according to a report on Wednesday.

“This is a decades-old divorce case in which Mitt Romney provided testimony as to the value of a company. He has no objection to letting the public see that testimony,” Robert Jones, a lawyer for Romney, told Time.

A source told Time that Romney’s testimony helped determine the value of some Staples stock that was part of the divorce settlement. Romney, as the head of Bain Capital, had invested in Staples. Tom Stemberg, a Staples co-founder, is a longtime friend of the former Massachusetts governor and spoke at the Republican National Convention.

A number of aggregators and gossip sites — TMZ, Radar Online and the Drudge Report among them — have suggested damaging information about Romney is included in sealed records covering the divorce of Stemberg and his wife. Time reported Wednesday a hearing on unsealing the records is scheduled for 9 a.m. in Canton, Mass.

Gloria Allred, a lawyer, is involved in the case, although it’s unclear what her role is. Allred was a delegate to the Democratic National Convention.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/82805.html#ixzz2AELZKyeC

Mitt Romney Allegedly Lied in Court To Screw Over Friend's Wife (http://www.tmz.com/2012/10/24/mitt-romney-tom-stemberg-staples-lied-perjury-divorce-case-maureen/)

Mitt Romney LIED under oath when he testified in the divorce of his good friend and screwed the friend's wife out of a lot of money in the process ... so claims the ex-wife of Staples' founder Tom Stemberg.

Multiple sources connected with the divorce tell TMZ ... during Tom's uber nasty divorce case with ex-wife Maureen, Mitt Romney gave a deposition and testified during the trial that Staples was worth virtually nothing. Romney testified that the company was worth very little and Tom was a dreamer and "the dream continues."

Romney characterized the Staples stock as "overvalued," adding, "I didn't place a great deal of credibility in the forecast of the company's future."

Partly as a result of Romney's testimony, Maureen got relatively little in the divorce, but we're told just weeks after the divorce ended, Romney and Tom went to Goldman Sachs and cashed in THEIR stock for a fortune. Short story -- Romney allegedly lied to help his friend and screw the friend's wife over.

And there's more ... Our sources say years later, Maureen, who suffered from MS and had multiple bouts with cancer, got a visit from one of Tom's guys, who gave her papers informing her that Tom was cancelling her health insurance. Our sources say the irony here is that we're told Tom was working as one of then Governor Mitt Romney's chief health care advisers.

Sources tell us ... Tom also got custody of the couple's one child, making allegations of abuse against Maureen. And get this ... in the mid-90s, after the divorce, Tom sent the boy a letter saying, although he loved him, because of issues related to the divorce "it will not be possible for you to be a part of our family for the foreseeable future."

Maureen lost her home in the process and struggled financially.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2012/10/24/mitt-romney-tom-stemberg-staples-lied-perjury-divorce-case-maureen/#ixzz2AEMx1BNa

Elspeth
10-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Gloria Allred's Surprise For Mitt Romney Revealed! (http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/10/mitt-romney-october-surprise-revealed-gloria-allred)

By Jen Heger - Radar Assistant Managing Editor

10 a.m. ET UPDATE: The Associated Press reports Gloria Allred arrived at court with the former wife of Staples founder Tom Stemberg to tell a judge that she does not object to unsealing testimony given by presidential candidate Mitt Romney in her divorce case.

Gloria Allred's October surprise for Governor Mitt Romney involves allegations about a child custody matter that the Republican presidential hopeful testified about involving his very good friend, the former CEO of Staples Tom Stemberg, and his divorce form one of his two ex-wives, RadarOnline.com is reporting.

The founder of Staples, who spoke on behalf of Governor Mitt Romney at the Republican National Convention in Tampa Bay, Florida last summer, has four sons from two different ex-wives, Maureen Sullivan Stemberg and Dola Hamilton Stemburg. Mitt Romney's hedge fund, Bain Capital, was an early investor of Staples. Tom Stemberg's sons are in their mid-teens and early twenties.

"Governor Mitt Romney gave sworn testimony about his observations of Tom's role as a father to his four sons," a source close to the situation told RadarOnline.com. Our source wouldn't provide any additional information because of Governor Romney's sworn declaration and gag order.

Stemberg's first wife, Maureen, had a documentary, The Maureen Sullivan Stemberg Story: A Portrait in Courage, which aired on Lifetime. According to a 2008 press release, "Maureen Sullivan Stemberg will provide an in-depth account in this first-time tell all tale of the interweaving relationships and strange bedfellow that business has made in her life. Such luminaries include former Governor of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney - who was the former Republican nominee in the 2008 Presidential campaign, as well as one of the first major investors for Staples while he was employed by Bain Capital, Boston, MA. This story will include the injustice of the Mass. Probate Justice system. Other heavy hitting names have yet to be released in this as of yet untold story including Dola Davis Hamilton Stemberg."

Tom Stemberg's divorce attorney, Joel Kozel is expected to be at the family law courthouse in the Boston area on Wednesday morning as the Boston Globe petitions to have the court records unsealed.

As RadarOnline.com was the first to report exclusively, the Boston Globe will be in court for an emergency hearing "in an attempt to obtain a court order to unseal the sworn testimony given by Mitt Romney in a prior court case and to lift a gag order so that the parties can speak about Romney. Gloria Allred will be in court representing one of the parties in the case," a source close to the situation previously told us.

"Ms. Allred's client feels that the public needs to know about Governor Mitt Romney's role in this very important case. Governor Romney is running for President of the United States and this goes to a very important character issues," the insider revealed. It's unclear if Governor Romney will have lawyers present at the hearing on Wednesday morning.

The emergency hearing will take place at the Norfolk Probate & Family Court in Canton, Massachusetts, and Justice Jennifer Ulwick will oversee the proceedings which will begin at 9 a.m. EST.

Stemberg founded Staples and was the CEO for 16 years. According to the Huffington Post, "Bain Capital, the private equity firm that Romney helped found, was one of the early investors in Staples, and the former Massachusetts governor remained on the retailer's board for more than a decade. In claiming he helped create some 100,000 jobs in the private sector over the years, the Romney campaign has leaned heavily on the success of the office supplier, citing roughly 90,000 Staples jobs in their math."

Romney's pal was featured at the RNC last summer and addressed the delegates and said, "He (Mitt Romney) never looked at Staples as merely a financial investment. He saw the engine of prosperity it could become. Today Staples employs nearly 90,000 people. It has over 2,000 stores, over 50 distribution centers, and it is part of a competitive industry that helps entrepreneurs and small businesses get started on their own. You have to ask yourself, why would an administration that can't create any jobs demonize someone who did?"

According to a report from the National Employment Law Project Action Fund, Staples is one of the lowest wage employers in the country.

During a interview with PBS' Frontline earlier this year Stemberg said the first time he met Romney, "when you first walked in and saw Mitt, he looked like a guy who ought to be president of the United States. This guy, he looked perfect; he dressed perfect; he spoke perfectly. He asked the most poignant questions in a very, very nice way and didn't make you feel defensive and really drew the best or worst out of you. He was just really, really good."

Stemberg also said that Mitt Romney was no shrinking violet and wasn't concerned about his friend entering politics when he decided to run for governor of Massachusetts. "Nobody pushes Mitt Romney around. Having said that, if there's one person whom he will almost always defer to, it's Ann Romney," Stemberg told PBS.

Most polls indicate that the presidential race between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney is a statistical dead heat.

Gloria Allred, Tom Stemberg, and representatives for Governor Mitt Romney didn't immediately respond to request for comment on this story.

Stay tuned to RadarOnline.com for developments on this story.

Rockntractor
10-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Most polls indicate that the presidential race between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney is a statistical dead heat.
No PBS most polls do not show a statistical dead heat, your information is a month old, Romney has a considerable lead in most polls and it burns your fucking guts. Go blow bigbird!

Elspeth
10-24-2012, 11:41 AM
No PBS most polls do not show a statistical dead heat, your information is a month old, Romney has a considerable lead in most polls and it burns your fucking guts. Go blow bigbird!

I'm sure that Jen Heger, Radar Assistant Managing Editor, was, in fact, planning to do just that, right after lunch. :friendly_wink:

Elspeth
10-24-2012, 11:43 AM
11:15 a.m. EST- UPDATE: The hearing has been delayed by one day. It’s now scheduled for Thursday at 9 a.m. EST.

www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/10/mitt-romney-october-surprise-revealed-gloria-allred

Wonder if Trump will also delay.

Elspeth
10-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Donald Trump to reveal 'Michelle and Barack Obama's divorce papers', claims respected financial pundit (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2222070/Donald-Trump-announcement-reveal-divorce-papers-Michelle-Barack-Obama.html)

Donald Trump is to claim that he has unearthed divorce papers of Michelle Obama and the President, according to a respected financial pundit with links to the tycoon.

It is alleged that the eccentric real estate mogul will claim that the documents show the First Lady and the President were at one point in their two decades of marriage seriously considering splitting up.

Trump set the hare running on Monday by claiming that he was set to make an announcement on Wednesday that would be ‘bordering on gigantic' and that it would ‘possibly’ change the Presidential race.

Donald Trump to reveal 'Michelle and Barack Obama's divorce papers', claims respected financial pundit

By Daniel Bates

PUBLISHED: 14:16 EST, 23 October 2012 | UPDATED: 02:08 EST, 24 October 2012

Comments (1169)

Donald Trump is to claim that he has unearthed divorce papers of Michelle Obama and the President, according to a respected financial pundit with links to the tycoon.

It is alleged that the eccentric real estate mogul will claim that the documents show the First Lady and the President were at one point in their two decades of marriage seriously considering splitting up.

Trump set the hare running on Monday by claiming that he was set to make an announcement on Wednesday that would be ‘bordering on gigantic' and that it would ‘possibly’ change the Presidential race.

Scroll down for video

kass
trump

'Gigantic': Author and investor Douglas Kass (left) claimed that Donald Trump (right) has 'unearthed divorce papers' between the President and his wife

obama

Affection: It is not the first time there's been claims the Obama marriage was in trouble, but the President and the First Lady showed nothing but tenderness towards each other on the debate stage last night

The billionaire told Fox & Friends that he had 'something very, very big concerning the president of the United States'. 'It's going to be very big. I know one thing- you will cover it in a very big fashion’.

Trump declined to elaborate, but today an investor who appears on the same business talk show as him claimed to have more details.

Douglas Kass, a Florida-based investor who appears on CNBC’s talkshow ‘Squawkbox’ where Trump is often a commentator, tweeted to his 48,000 followers: 'High above the Alps my Gnome has heard that Donald Trump will announce that he has unearthed divorce papers between the Prez and his wife.'

Interviews with both Kass and Trump appeared on the show’s website this morning.

Kass is an author, the founder and President of Seabreeze Partners Management and has also appeared in newspapers including the Wall St Journal and the New York Times.

The claims about divorce papers have previously been made in a book released earlier this year by author Ed Klein. The White House rubbished the allegations then and claimed Klein had a history of making things up.

Elspeth
10-24-2012, 12:15 PM
OK, Trump made his announcement, and it didn't involve divorce papers. It involved Trump telling Oblahblah that he would give 5 million dollars to the charity of 0's choice if he released his college records and passport.

That's not gonna happen, and Trump just looks silly. He shot his wad on this?

Or, maybe he is waiting for the reveal of the divorce papers until the Stemberg decision is made:

Judge sets 2nd hearing on request to unseal Romney testimony in Staples founder’s divorce case (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ex-wife-of-staples-founder-backs-request-to-unseal-romney-testimony-in-her-divorce-case/2012/10/24/e83dafa8-1ddf-11e2-8817-41b9a7aaabc7_story.html)

By Associated Press, Updated: Wednesday, October 24, 8:58 AM

CANTON, Mass. — A Massachusetts probate judge will hold another hearing Thursday before deciding whether to unseal testimony that GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney gave in the divorce case of Staples founder Tom Stemberg.

Ex-wife Maureen Stemberg Sullivan appeared in court Wednesday with lawyer Gloria Allred. They said they did not object to a Boston Globe motion to lift an impoundment order on Romney’s testimony in the case from the early 1990s.

No one would say exactly what Romney’s testimony was about, although Globe attorney Jonathan Albano said it dealt with financial matters. Staples was founded with backing from Romney’s firm, Bain Capital. Stemberg has been a surrogate for Romney and spoke on the former Massachusetts governor’s behalf at the GOP convention.

“You have expert testimony about an investment that a presidential candidate made,” Albano told Judge Jennifer Ulwick on Wednesday. He said the public has a right to know what Romney said. Allred disputed the contention that Romney testified as an expert.

Attorneys for Romney and Staples asked the judge for more time to review two booklets of testimony Allred produced.

Stemberg’s attorney said he had only been able to review about 20 pages. It wasn’t clear if the booklets were all Romney testimony or included testimony from others.

Romney attorney Robert Jones said Romney would like time to review the entire transcript but does not anticipate objecting. He asked a judge not to delay the hearing beyond one day.

“We’re in a little bit of a spin cycle now,” Jones said. “The longer this goes on, the more speculation there will be.”

Stemberg’s lawyer, Brian Leary, said there was nothing salacious in the testimony he had seen but acknowledged he only had 20 pages. He described the divorce as incredibly contentious and urged the judge to look at “what’s really going on behind the scenes.”

He added: “This is in many ways much ado about nothing.”

Eupher
10-24-2012, 05:32 PM
For such a smart guy, Trump is pretty damned stupid.

Oh, wait. Actually, Trump's whole deal really had nothing to do with Barry anyway. All he really wants to do is keep his name out there in the media from time to time.

The fact that he looks silly merely plays into his overall plan -

"There ain't no such thing as bad press."

After all, The Donald has survived at least four bankruptcies.

What's $5 million for a charity that won't see the light of day?

Chump change.

noonwitch
10-25-2012, 09:35 AM
For such a smart guy, Trump is pretty damned stupid.

Oh, wait. Actually, Trump's whole deal really had nothing to do with Barry anyway. All he really wants to do is keep his name out there in the media from time to time.

The fact that he looks silly merely plays into his overall plan -

"There ain't no such thing as bad press."

After all, The Donald has survived at least four bankruptcies.

What's $5 million for a charity that won't see the light of day?

Chump change.

He's smart about making money, and about the appeal of his television show to the ordinary person. That doesn't necessarily mean he's smart about human relationships.

Even if he had copies of divorce papers, they didn't go through with it. That doesn't make the Obamas look bad, it makes them look like a couple who had some problems and worked them out.

I also think Gloria Allred is full of it. Who cares about some divorce case involving one of Mitt's business associates/friends? I'm not voting for Mitt, but if he testified on behalf of a friend in a divorce proceeding, what does that have to do with anything else?

AmPat
10-26-2012, 07:34 PM
This should all be investigated and exposed with the same tenacity that the Benghazi Terrorist attacks got. I say have the hearings on the same date------AFTER the election. Or,,,,,Better yet, RIGHT NOW!!!

Rockntractor
10-26-2012, 07:49 PM
I wish I could achieve Trump's level of ignorance.