PDA

View Full Version : ballots sent to U.S. military serving in Afghanistan 'destroyed in crash'...

Rockntractor
10-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Absentee ballots may have been destroyed in crash
http://news.yahoo.com/absentee-ballots-may-destroyed-crash-210240583--election.html

Call me a conspiracy whack, I don't give a crap but I don't trust anything about this government and believe the current administration would stoop to anything.

Janice
10-27-2012, 01:30 AM
"they recommended that election officials resend a new ballot to anyone who requested one..."

How convenient. So our troops in the field, in the mountains and deserts or whatever hell hole they happen to be in are supposed to have all the necessary paperwork, addresses etc., etc. right there at their finger tips at their desks in their tents or sleeping bags or fox holes or whatever?

No surprise I suppose from the regime headed by he who lies without fear or shame.

JB
10-27-2012, 01:47 AM
"crash" definitely needs to be offset with quotes in this story.

djones520
10-27-2012, 06:39 AM
Given that it takes at least two weeks for mail to go one way, possibly longer, from the AOR it's extremely unlikely that there were any ballots on the aircraft since they would have been pretty damn late (this was incoming mail, not outgoing). At any rate the personnel still have the ability to fill in the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot and send it in just to be sure, they do not have to wait for a brand new ballot from the state.

This message is only being put out there so that people can be 100% sure that their votes are getting in.

Thinking that the administration would orchestrate crashing a plane to supress what may have just been a few hundred votes that was going to be scattered across the whole country and ultimately had very little impact overall, reeks of some DU'ish behavior.

Adam Wood
10-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Federal officials in their email to state election offices said they did not know if any ballots were destroyed. They also said the lost mail was limited to one zip code.

OK, so there can't be that many personnel who are registered to vote in a particular ZIP code who are also deployed to Afghanistan. Just ask those guys if they got their ballot and if they have filled it out and sent it in. If they have, then the question is resolved. If they haven't gotten their ballots, then it should be easy enough to replace them. Whatever that local voting precinct is, get ballots from them and get them in a courier bag and on their way. They can be in Doha by tomorrow morning and in theatre within a day or two after that.

Like Mr. Jones said, though, it's pretty unlikely that there were any ballots on this plane. IIRC, the federal deadline to send ballots was a few weeks back.

djones520
10-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Federal officials in their email to state election offices said they did not know if any ballots were destroyed. They also said the lost mail was limited to one zip code.

OK, so there can't be that many personnel who are registered to vote in a particular ZIP code who are also deployed to Afghanistan. Just ask those guys if they got their ballot and if they have filled it out and sent it in. If they have, then the question is resolved. If they haven't gotten their ballots, then it should be easy enough to replace them. Whatever that local voting precinct is, get ballots from them and get them in a courier bag and on their way. They can be in Doha by tomorrow morning and in theatre within a day or two after that.

Like Mr. Jones said, though, it's pretty unlikely that there were any ballots on this plane. IIRC, the federal deadline to send ballots was a few weeks back.

The zip code they were referring to was Shindad, Farah, and Herat. Zip Code in Afghanistan. Our smallest troop concentration is in that area, so very few personnel would have been affected. Had this been a real "conspiracy" I'd have expected it to have occured in Kandahar or Bagram, where tens of thousands of troops are stationed.

Adam Wood
10-27-2012, 08:28 AM
The zip code they were referring to was Shindad, Farah, and Herat. Zip Code in Afghanistan. Our smallest troop concentration is in that area, so very few personnel would have been affected. Had this been a real "conspiracy" I'd have expected it to have occured in Kandahar or Bagram, where tens of thousands of troops are stationed.Ahhhh. Usually, outside of the US, it's called a "postal code" rather than a ZIP code, since "ZIP code" was actually a registered trademark of the USPS, so I figured they meant all of the mail that got destroyed came from one particular spot in the US.

In retrospect, what you say makes more sense, since it would be pretty inefficient to send a whole cargo plane halfway around the world just for the mail that came from one part of Tumbleweed, Oklahoma that happened to be going to Afghanistan.

Janice
10-27-2012, 10:48 AM
How much you want to bet a bunch of these (maybe even all) will be submitted locally, filled-in with D votes. Now all those non-sent Military Absentees can be accounted for. Everything is suspect with this regime.

SaintLouieWoman
10-27-2012, 04:01 PM
How much you want to bet a bunch of these (maybe even all) will be submitted locally, filled-in with D votes. Now all those non-sent Military Absentees can be accounted for. Everything is suspect with this regime.

They will never miss a good opportunity to grab a few votes. I doubt if many of those votes would be D votes. I don't trust this administration at all.