PDA

View Full Version : McCain Suspending Campaign

LibraryLady
09-24-2008, 02:50 PM
McCain Says He'll Suspend Campaign to Deal With Financial Crisis; Calls on Obama to Do Same; Wants Debate Postponed

John McCain asked the Presidential Debate Commission on Wednesday to postpone Friday’s scheduled debate with Barack Obama so that he can work on the financial crisis bailout plan now on Capitol Hill.

The Arizona Republican senator said he will suspend his presidential campaign on Thursday to return to Washington to help with bailout negotiations. He urged Obama to do the same.

http://www.foxnews.com/

linda22003
09-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Nothing on the Google news pages yet. Did you hear it on TV?

LibraryLady
09-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Carl Cameron announced it on Fox. He said he had been told earlier by the McCain campaign but sworn to secrecy until McCain spoke. He said they will challenge Obama to do the same.

hampshirebrit
09-24-2008, 02:57 PM
It's all over Fox.

A bold move.

We'll see how prudent it turns out to be soon, I guess.

hampshirebrit
09-24-2008, 03:03 PM
FNC is doing a good job putting this out, too.

Cameron just agreed with me ( :D ) that it is a bold move.

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 03:05 PM
I really have no idea what to make of this. I'm stunned.

hampshirebrit
09-24-2008, 03:06 PM

That is the scary part... looks like no-one knows what to make of the crisis, much less how to fix it.

linda22003
09-24-2008, 03:08 PM

Do you think Obama needs to do the same thing?

hampshirebrit
09-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Jeez, now Obama is saying that he suggested this.

Gingersnap
09-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Here's the link: Urgent Queue (http://www.foxnews.com/urgent_queue/index.html#47d625a3,2008-09-24)

asdf2231
09-24-2008, 03:27 PM
WOAH!

Just... Woah.

I hope they don't go for dueling free campaign statement time from the podium.

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Do you think Obama needs to do the same thing?

No, I'd postpone the debate but I would not close any field offices or stop running ads.

lacarnut
09-24-2008, 03:29 PM

I doubt it; he lies out of both sides of his mouth.

hampshirebrit
09-24-2008, 03:29 PM
WOAH!

Just... Woah.

I hope they don't go for dueling free campaign statement time from the podium.

Whatever else, this is shaping up to be the most interesting presidential race in years.

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Whatever else, this is shaping up to be the most interesting presidential race in years.

Well it's the first presidential race in years too :D

linda22003
09-24-2008, 03:30 PM
No, I'd postpone the debate but I would not close any field offices or stop running ads.

I doubt McCain will do those things either, he just won't be making daily appearances and stump speeches.

patriot45
09-24-2008, 03:32 PM

They still both work for us in the Senate. This would be in the Messiahs' favor. Less time for people to see how shallow he is before the election.

But damn, I was looking forward to the debate!

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 03:34 PM
CNN is reporting now that Obama wanted to make a joint statement with McCain, but the McCain camp blew it's load.

linda22003
09-24-2008, 03:36 PM
CNN is reporting now that Obama wanted to make a joint statement with McCain, but the McCain camp blew it's load.

Didn't you see the thread? It's National Punctuation Day! Get it right!

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Dont fault my possesive apostrophe on its!

hampshirebrit
09-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Didn't you see the thread? It's National Punctuation Day! Get it right!

Snicker (can I say that?)

It's and Its. Again.

linda22003
09-24-2008, 03:39 PM
It's and Its. Again.

Why do so many seem to find that so difficult?

GrumpyOldLady
09-24-2008, 03:40 PM
no quarter (http://noquarterusa.net/blog/2008/09/24/breaking-news-john-mccain-suspends-campaign/) a DEMOCRATIC site claims that the McCain camp contacted Obamas people about having Obama suspend also and were told 'NO!'.

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 03:41 PM

Because quite frankly it doesn't make any sense at all.

asdf2231
09-24-2008, 03:41 PM

Noone knows. ;)

hampshirebrit
09-24-2008, 03:43 PM

To be fair, I had problems with it until I read the book that Jinx mentioned.

Now, I wince every time I see the error made .. which happens depressingly often.

GrumpyOldLady
THE REAL QUESTION -

If Barry goes to D.C. WILL HE JUST VOTE "PRESENT" or will he actually stand for something this time?

:rolleyes:

lacarnut
no quarter (http://noquarterusa.net/blog/2008/09/24/breaking-news-john-mccain-suspends-campaign/) a DEMOCRATIC site claims that the McCain camp contacted Obamas people about having Obama suspend also and were told 'NO!'.

What do you expect from this douche bag.:)

hampshirebrit
09-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Because quite frankly it doesn't make any sense at all.

It's really simple.

It's its own thing.

That's all you need to know about the subject.

asdf2231
09-24-2008, 03:48 PM
This is a slick move guys.

He says that it's not a Democrat or a Republican problem but rather an AMERICAN problem and calls for a leadership session by the President to be a bi-partisan emergency effort.

Classic Judo.

Barack is going to look like, well, an arogant lightweight first term partisan tool if he turns his back on this.

If he "Goes With" he is following McCain's tune.

Holy Hell.

sgrooms
09-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Wow. Simply wow.

I never would have expected this.

jendf
09-24-2008, 03:58 PM
To be fair, I had problems with it until I read the book that Jinx mentioned.

Now, I wince every time I see the error made .. which happens depressingly often.

Which book is that? I'm a nerd and enjoy stuff like this.

/apologizes for threadjack

JB
09-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Which book is that? I'm a nerd and enjoy stuff like this.

/apologizes for threadjackEats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss

Back on topic: I'm now hearing that Hussein is going to have the debate???

linda22003
09-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Back on topic: I'm now hearing that Hussein is going to have the debate???

The commission running the debates said that they are going ahead as planned.

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 04:10 PM

Thats not Obama or McCain's decision, I just want to get that out of the way now.

GrumpyOldLady
09-24-2008, 04:14 PM

And if Obama shows up to talk to himself on stage while McCain is in Washington DOING HIS JOB ...
that'll be priceless! :D

JB
09-24-2008, 04:17 PM
The commission running the debates said that they are going ahead as planned.That's correct.

I'm hearing, though, that the Obama campaign thinks it's on. Whether McCain is there or not? I don't know, it's still sketchy. I can see why Obama wants it to happen no matter what. He's been in a Florida hotel room for three days practicing what he'll say. Or having a microscopic teleprompter implanted in his eye.

I'll take an empty podium over Obama any day of the week. :p

The podium would probably win by 20.

LogansPapa
09-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Brillant move by the Republicans: Simply send the VP's to the debates.;)

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Brillant move by the Republicans: Simply send the VP's to the debates.;)

I think you're joking, because Sarah Palin trying to sort out this economic mess would be downright scary.

JB
09-24-2008, 04:24 PM
I think you're joking, because Sarah Palin trying to sort out this economic mess would be downright scary.How so?

Please elaborate.

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 04:35 PM
How so?

Please elaborate.

Because her town was smaller than the bleacher section at Fenway Park and her state only a little bigger than Cleveland, OH. Now you thrust her into a national economic crisis? She's way out of her league.

Gingersnap
09-24-2008, 04:38 PM
I think you're joking, because Sarah Palin trying to sort out this economic mess would be downright scary.

They don't need to sort out this economic mess, they just need to show up and debate each other. That's what the debates are for.

JB
09-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Because her town was smaller than the bleacher section at Fenway Park and her state only a little bigger than Cleveland, OH. Now you thrust her into a national economic crisis? She's way out of her league.Well I could walk across Delaware while I wait for Hussein to vote "present".

I'll take Palin everyday.

Elspeth
09-24-2008, 04:53 PM

Those are my PUMAS!!!

Sonnabend
09-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Because her town was smaller than the bleacher section at Fenway Park and her state only a little bigger than Cleveland, OH. Now you thrust her into a national economic crisis? She's way out of her league.

http://pa4mccain.wordpress.com/2008/08/30/the-60-billion-dollar-woman/

Alaska, by contrast, has an operating budget of $60 billion, that is $8 billion more than both Illinois and Delaware combined. While serving the last two years as Governor, Sarah Palin would have overseen the writing and implementation of that $60 billion budget twice. While Governor, Palin also vetoed over 300 spending bills because of waste and cut $1.6 billion from the budget.

Sarah Palin oversaw a budget of $60 billion and cut wasteful spending in Alaska

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aYdZoyTvFrTc&refer=home

Sept. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Alaska Governor Sarah Palin (http://search.bloomberg.com/search?q=Sarah+Palin&site=wnews&client=wnews&proxystylesheet=wnews&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&filter=p&getfields=wnnis&sort=date:D:S:d1), who has joined the Republican national ticket as a tax-cutter, was a driving force in raising a tax on oil companies last year that will help swell the state's budget surplus. The increase backed by the Republican vice presidential nominee will, at current prices, raise oil revenue to $11 billion (http://www.legfin.state.ak.us/charts/FiscalSensitivityFY09Update20080822.pdf) this year -- almost twice what the state needs to fund its government -- state documents show. Alaska (http://www.state.ak.us/) also has gotten more money (http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/22685.html) from the federal government than its residents pay in taxes -- $1.75 per tax dollar in 2006, the most recent year available, according to the Tax Foundation, a Washington research group.

Have you always been this stupid?

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Shes not a tax cutter, her famous jet-sale occured at $600,000 loss to Alaska and she supported to Bridge to Nowhere.

Elspeth
09-24-2008, 05:03 PM
And if Obama shows up to talk to himself on stage while McCain is in Washington DOING HIS JOB ...
that'll be priceless! :D

I'm gonna TIVO that and use it when I have insomnia.:D

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Those are my PUMAS!!!

Are you guys angry that nobody cares about you anymore?

LibraryLady
09-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Now Zer-0 is saying a President needs to be able to do more than one thing at a time - funny Obama can't seem to do much of anything at one time. present, present, present, present........

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Now Zer-0 is saying a President needs to be able to do more than one thing at a time - funny Obama can't seem to do much of anything at one time. present, present, present, present........

At least he doesn't throw in the towel when things get tough.

Perilloux
09-24-2008, 05:13 PM
This is a slick move guys.

He says that it's not a Democrat or a Republican problem but rather an AMERICAN problem and calls for a leadership session by the President to be a bi-partisan emergency effort.

Classic Judo.

Barack is going to look like, well, an arogant lightweight first term partisan tool if he turns his back on this.

If he "Goes With" he is following McCain's tune.

Holy Hell.

I have to agree. I think it's a smart move by McCain. Now Obamessiah is scrambling to get out in front of this to claim it as his idea.

LibraryLady
09-24-2008, 05:15 PM
As always, Zer-0 puts himself above the country. egomaniac

JB
09-24-2008, 05:15 PM
At least he doesn't throw in the towel when things get tough.It's called putting country before self. Hussein, and you, should take notes.

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 05:18 PM
It's called putting country before self. Hussein, and you, should take notes.

It's called quitting and trying to use it as political gain. The bill is 98% done, there's nothing McCain can really do at this point. McCain is doing this because he is getting slaughtered in the polls, FOX has him at 39% which is absolutely pathetic.

It's a move of desperation, not this country first honor and patriotism bullshit. McCain is getting beaten and he's running away in hopes that Obama will do the same.

Shannon
09-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Wait, now Fox polls are acceptable?:p

Zathras
09-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Have you always been this stupid?

Must be, he thinks that the bleachers in Fenway are 28.8% of the seating in the park. Then again, we are talking about Blinky so being stupid is second nature to him.

Elspeth
09-24-2008, 05:32 PM
I have to agree. I think it's a smart move by McCain. Now Obamessiah is scrambling to get out in front of this to claim it as his idea.

Pat Buchanan thinks this is a great move on McCain's part. Said focus now has been on the financial crisis and DC, not the campaigns and McCain is now where the action is. Says Obama is in a box, either will tag along with McCain to DC or sit sulking in FL preparing for a debate that isn't going to happen.

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Wait, now Fox polls are acceptable?:p

Why wouldn't they be?

Cold Warrior
09-24-2008, 05:40 PM
That is the scary part... looks like no-one knows what to make of the crisis, much less how to fix it.

But, it's not a crisis. It's the liberal media trying to get Obama elected, the Democratic Congess (of the last 2 years), the evil Jimmy Carter, and, of course, the Clenis.

There's no problem.

Don't worry, be happy.

YupItsMe
09-24-2008, 05:40 PM
How so?

Please elaborate.

Please bear with Eyelids, he's a sexist pig that thinks the only thing a women should be doing is cooking or cleaning.

sgrooms
09-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Please bear with Eyelids, he's a sexist pig that thinks the only thing a women should be doing is cooking or cleaning.

It's a he? Really? Wow...didn't realize that.

LibraryLady
09-24-2008, 05:49 PM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/mccain/db4b_1.jpg

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 05:49 PM
What is McCain accomplishing going back to Washington? The bill is 98% done.

Celestron
09-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Neither McCain nor Obama gave up their position as U.S. Senator when they decided to run for President.

McCain is just showing he's doing what he was elected to do.

Proves to me Obama is a bigger idiot then I first imagined.

AlmostThere
09-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Not often but sometimes I actually feel sorry for the idiots in DU-land. Do they really think McCain is "chicken" to debate Obama on foreign affairs matters Friday night? Can they really be that stupid?

Cold Warrior
09-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Neither McCain and Obama gave up their position as U.S. Senator when they decided to run for President.

Let's see, shall we. If McCain makes substantial contribution to the bill and its contents, then yes. If he's just there to vote as part of an overwhelming majority, then no. This is the principle that he, Obama, and every other Senator who's run for president has used in the past.

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Neither McCain and Obama gave up their position as U.S. Senator when they decided to run for President.

What is McCain accomplishing specifically?

JB
09-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Let's see, shall we. If McCain makes substantial contribution to the bill and its contents, then yes.Let's hope the hell so.

Right now we have Frank and Dodd in there. The very same people that put us in this mess.

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 05:59 PM
McCain has missed 76 votes since April 8th. COUNTRY FIRST!

LibraryLady
09-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Obama making less than a quarter of Senate votes

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama has missed the most votes of any Democratic presidential hopeful in the Senate over the last two months, including a vote on an Iran resolution he has blasted Sen. Hillary Clinton for supporting.

The Illinois Democrat has missed nearly 80 percent of all votes since September.

Neither of them have done very well - it's time for CHANGE!!!

Perilloux
09-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Pat Buchanan thinks this is a great move on McCain's part. Said focus now has been on the financial crisis and DC, not the campaigns and McCain is now where the action is. Says Obama is in a box, either will tag along with McCain to DC or sit sulking in FL preparing for a debate that isn't going to happen.

:D

I'm loving this. McCain has really surprised/impressed me. First his brilliant VP pick, now this.

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Obama doesn't have posters saying Country First! everywhere. You still haven't told me exactly what McCain is going to do in Washington to a bill that is 98% done.

LibraryLady
09-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Make Zer-0 look like the self-centered slacker we all know he is.

asdf2231
09-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Obama doesn't have posters saying Country First! everywhere. You still haven't told me exactly what McCain is going to do in Washington to a bill that is 98% done.

Maybe you could first address that you bitched about McCains "Lousy Voting Record" and it turns out your boy Obama's is even shakier? :D

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Make Zer-0 look like the self-centered slacker we all know he is.

What is McCain going to do to a bill that is 98% done?

You aren't answering my question.

GrumpyOldLady
09-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Because her town was smaller than the bleacher section at Fenway Park and her state only a little bigger than Cleveland, OH.

Alaska is the largest state in the United States.

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Alaska is the largest state in the United States.

population-wise? No it's not.

JB
09-24-2008, 06:34 PM
You still haven't told me exactly what McCain is going to do in Washington to a bill that is 98% done.What part is 98% done?

Let's start with the biggest part. The how much part. Is it going to be 150, 200 or 700 billion? This part is not done.

How about the who it impacts part. The part about how much the fed should intervene in private business? Not done.

The part about whether or not there will be anything for the homeowners? Not done.

The part about allowing bankruptcy judges to re-write mortgages? Not done.

How about the part about suspending the capital gains tax? Not done.

Oh, and how about this part:
McCain said the Bush administration's plan seemed headed for defeat and a bipartisan solution was urgently needed.

"I do not believe that the plan on the table will pass as it currently stands, and we are running out of time," he said.I ask again...what is 98% done and where did you get that figure?

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 06:39 PM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2008/09/harry_reid_says_no_need_for_ob.html

YupItsMe
09-24-2008, 06:41 PM
population-wise? No it's not.

It might be more difficult to tend to the needs of a population covering an area larger than all but 6 or 7 countries than it is to remember to feed and change the gerbils stacked in their little cages in Chicago. How many natural disasters does the governor of Illinois have to deal with? How many miles of oil pipeline in Illinois?
Which Cold War Superpower almost borders Illinois? How many "Nuke" early warning centers are located in Illinois? Plus here's the real kicker. Sarah Palin actually votes and makes decisions. Your boy just votes present. That's why he's going to get whipped in Nov.

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 06:44 PM
It might be more difficult to tend to the needs of a population covering an area larger than all but 6 or 7 countries than it is to remember to feed and change the gerbils stacked in their little cages in Chicago. How many natural disasters does the governor of Illinois have to deal with? How many miles of oil pipeline in Illinois?
Which Cold War Superpower almost borders Illinois? How many "Nuke" early warning centers are located in Illinois? Plus here's the real kicker. Sarah Palin actually votes and makes decisions. Your boy just votes present. That's why he's going to get whipped in Nov.

How many buildings taller than 5 stories are in Alaska? Maybe 5?

She is a hockey mom, not a president.

JB
09-24-2008, 06:45 PM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2008/09/harry_reid_says_no_need_for_ob.htmlIs that your reply to my post? Maybe you should just stick to starting threads about polls.

I didn't see anything about a bill being 98% done in that drivel.

Again, what parts of the bill are 98% done?

LibraryLady
09-24-2008, 06:46 PM
1:39 p.m. CT, Wed., Sept. 24, 2008

WASHINGTON - After risk-taking on Wall Street brought the financial system to its knees, Democrats and Republicans on Capitol Hill are taking part in their own risk-taking exercise.

With Congress about to adjourn and with elections in less than six weeks, lawmakers are wrestling with what the Bush administration calls a must-pass bill a $700 billion proposal to rescue the U.S. financial sector.

But it seems increasingly questionable that the bill still in its drafting stages will pass by Congress' self-imposed deadline of Friday, when it is supposed to adjourn for the elections.

98%???? That's as specious as Zer-0 cutting taxes on 95% of Americans

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26858746/

Cold Warrior
09-24-2008, 06:46 PM

Hell, she must be qualified. She can see Russia from her house (even though, prior to 2007 she'd never been out of the US).

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Is that your reply to my post? Maybe you should just stick to starting threads about polls.

I didn't see anything about a bill being 98% done in that drivel.

Again, what parts of the bill are 98% done?

The deal on the "bail out" is 98% done. Treasury has capitulated on almost every point. A draft is circulating on the Hill now. No one needs McCain to help do the remaining 2%....except the White House who has no standing on this matter on the Hill with either Democrats or Republicans.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/219410.php

JB
09-24-2008, 06:56 PM
The deal on the "bail out" is 98% done. Treasury has capitulated on almost every point. A draft is circulating on the Hill now. No one needs McCain to help do the remaining 2%....except the White House who has no standing on this matter on the Hill with either Democrats or Republicans.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/219410.phpEyepuke, I have to seriously ask you...Did you make that post with a straight face?

Please tell me you're somewhat smarter than this. I'm beginning to think you are not.

A plugged in reader who's a Democratic lobbyist writes in with a good point:This is where you got your 98% number? You might be the dumbest human I have ever met.

First you replied with a statement from a Dem hack that has no credibility and then you replied with a statement from some ridiculous website that says "a plugged in reader who's a Democratic lobbyist". And you try to pass that off as credible? Good luck in college son. :rolleyes:

LibraryLady
09-24-2008, 06:57 PM
How many buildings taller than 5 stories are in Alaska? Maybe 5?

She is a hockey mom, not a president.

You are dumber than a rock:

Anchorage
High-rise Buildings

# Building Name [Complex Name] Photos Height Floors Year Status
1. Conoco-Phillips Building 6 90 m 22 1983 completed
2. 605 West Fifth 88 m 24 2009 proposed
3. Robert B. Atwood Building 7 81 m 20 1983 completed
4. Hilton Anchorage East .. [Hilton Anchorage] 6 74 m 21 completed
5. Frontier Building 1 67 m 14 1982 completed
6. Anchorage Marriott Downtown 17 65 m 21 2000 completed
7. Sheraton Anchorage Hotel 3 59 m 16 1979 completed
8. Denali Towers North [Denali Towers] 2 56 m 16 1979 completed
9. Hotel Captain Cook Wes.. [The Hotel Captain Cook] 6 47 m 15 completed
10. Augustine Energy Center 1 21 proposed
11. Hotel Captain Cook Eas.. [The Hotel Captain Cook] 14 18 1965 completed
12. 188 Northern Lights 1 15 2008 under construction
13. Hilton Anchorage West .. [Hilton Anchorage] 3 15 1963 completed
14. JL Tower 1 14 2008 completed
15. Westmark Anchorage Hotel 4 14 1973 completed
16. Inlet Tower Suites [Inlet Towers] 1 14 1952 completed
17. McKinley Tower [Inlet Towers] 1 14 1952 completed
18. BP Exploration Building 1 13 1985 completed
19. 701 West Eighth Avenue 4 12

You wouldn't know this but Anchorage was destroyed by an earthquake at least once.

JB
09-24-2008, 07:03 PM
LL, if this guy was a horse...I'd have to shoot him.

I think we should just let him post at will and just excuse his behavior like you would an idiot cousin or something.

"Yes, yes, that's very nice eyelids. You're doing so well. Did you do that all by yourself? You're such a big boy. I'm so proud of you." :p

JB
09-24-2008, 07:20 PM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2008/09/harry_reid_says_no_need_for_ob.htmlOMG. A must read for eyepuke. LMFAO (http://hotair.com/archives/2008/09/24/reid-changes-his-tune-on-mccain-involvement/)

Hat tip to megimoo from another thread. Thanks dude.

patriot45
09-24-2008, 07:20 PM
LL, if this guy was a horse...I'd have to shoot him.

I think we should just let him post at will and just excuse his behavior like you would an idiot cousin or something.

"Yes, yes, that's very nice eyelids. You're doing so well. Did you do that all by yourself? You're such a big boy. I'm so proud of you." :p

Perfect! LOL! I gotta remember that!

Eilise
09-24-2008, 07:32 PM
How many natural disasters does the governor of Illinois have to deal with?

The Illinois governor has already dealt with multiple natural disasters this year. Our county alone has been declared a state disaster area twice in the past 6 months. We get lots of tornadoes, floods, and all sorts of other nasties here in fly over country.

Granted our governor is a huge crook, and will be lucky if he's not indicted before his term ends, but IL governor's generally deal with their fair share of natural disasters. It just doesn't make the national news very often -- I guess we're not glamorous enough.

LibraryLady
09-24-2008, 07:36 PM
where did blinky go?????:rolleyes:

JB
09-24-2008, 07:40 PM
where did blinky go?????:rolleyes:Wherever it is, I'm sure you won't be able to see his tail. ;)

LibraryLady
09-24-2008, 07:53 PM

So he was for it before he was against it??

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Look, its a purely political move in direct response to a lot of polls that suggest the election is starting to go decidely to Obama. FOX, who's polls are usually pretty decent despite the obviously biased name attached to them, put McCain at 39%, that's genuinely alarming for any campaign. McCain is trying to sideline both candidates to cool off Obama a little bit until he can try and make a play against him in a debate.

Of course he's advertently pushing the economic issue, where he said he still needs to be educated, even more to the forefront. It's a desperate move by a campaign that is falling apart.

Zathras
09-24-2008, 08:41 PM
What is McCain going to do to a bill that is 98% done?

You aren't answering my question.

Whatever McCain does will be more that Obaaahma has done in his term.

OwlMBA
09-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Obama and McCain are collecting salaries to be Senators, so it is nice to see one of them willing to do what they are getting paid to do rather than just focus on interviewing for their next job.

Barack has done nothing as a Senator, despite getting paid. At least one of them is willing to show some leadership and focus on doing what we are paying them to do.

Phillygirl
09-24-2008, 09:06 PM
And now Obama will be going to Washington. The president asked him to.

Blink.

Gingersnap
09-24-2008, 09:14 PM
And now Obama will be going to Washington. The president asked him to.

Blink.

He's asked them both. People with Bush Derangement Syndrome must be mainlining the hilly billy heroin right about now to cope. :rolleyes:

MstrBlue
09-24-2008, 09:30 PM
I wonder how the DUmmies would be reacting if the roles were reversed...
They would be howling about how McCain does not care about America.

I am reminded of 9/11... when everyone on the Left was screaming WHERE IS BUSH???? THIS IS A NATIONAL CRISIS!!!! WE NEED HIM HERE IN WASHINGTON, LEADING THE COUNTRY!!!

And now that McCain wants to do just that, and demonstrate that he DOES put America First, and that he has HONOR and conviction for the future, Barry punts.

And the media, and the Left, let him get away with it.
And the DUmmies want to turn it into a McCain smear.

Typical.

mourningdove
09-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Suspend the campaign? Isn't that what Hillary did?????

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Obama would never do somthing this bizarre.

BadCat
09-24-2008, 09:43 PM

Bizarre? You mean like actually EARNING the $160k/year that we, the TAXPAYERS pay him to be a UNITED STATES SENATOR?

Doing your job is only "bizarre" to liberals.

Eyelids
09-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Bizarre? You mean like actually EARNING the $160k/year that we, the TAXPAYERS pay him to be a UNITED STATES SENATOR?

Doing your job is only "bizarre" to liberals.

Suspending the campaign?

Zathras
09-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Suspending the campaign?

Yeah, you know...to do his real job? That of being a senator?

jeskibuff
09-24-2008, 11:09 PM

"Yes, yes, that's very nice eyelids. You're doing so well. Did you do that all by yourself? You're such a big boy. I'm so proud of you." :pAbsolutely.

Sarah Palin made it a point in her convention speech to go the extra mile for such "special needs" children!

jendf
09-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Absolutely.

Sarah Palin made it a point in her convention speech to go the extra mile for such "special needs" children!

ROTFL! :D :D

Troll
09-24-2008, 11:37 PM

:D

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/8/13/128631336473773505.jpg

GrumpyOldLady
09-25-2008, 06:45 AM
You don't think that Obama sitting in the pews of his racist cult for 20 years - listening to anti-whiteisms and anti-americanisms and anti-jewishisms- isn't bizarre? I sure do.

AmPat
09-25-2008, 07:44 AM

That's one of the BIGGEST problems with liberals/DIMolRATS. Your higher ground is simply gaining and maintaining power at the expense of the common good and regardless the cost. Conservatives/Republicans have a better record of unselfishly sacrificing their own political desires for the good of the country.

Uh-Bama has the same problem as you, he can not imagine risking his campaign of power. Since it NEVER crossed his mind to do something this unselfish, to actually DO something rather than talk about it, he is getting upstaged by McCain.

Get ready to read the liberal media spin about this. Of course it will be exactly the opposite arguments that were leveled against the Republicans after the New Orleans toilet flushing.:cool:

YupItsMe
09-29-2008, 09:07 AM
You are dumber than a rock:

Anchorage
High-rise Buildings

# Building Name [Complex Name] Photos Height Floors Year Status
1. Conoco-Phillips Building 6 90 m 22 1983 completed
2. 605 West Fifth 88 m 24 2009 proposed
3. Robert B. Atwood Building 7 81 m 20 1983 completed
4. Hilton Anchorage East .. [Hilton Anchorage] 6 74 m 21 completed
5. Frontier Building 1 67 m 14 1982 completed
6. Anchorage Marriott Downtown 17 65 m 21 2000 completed
7. Sheraton Anchorage Hotel 3 59 m 16 1979 completed
8. Denali Towers North [Denali Towers] 2 56 m 16 1979 completed
9. Hotel Captain Cook Wes.. [The Hotel Captain Cook] 6 47 m 15 completed
10. Augustine Energy Center 1 21 proposed
11. Hotel Captain Cook Eas.. [The Hotel Captain Cook] 14 18 1965 completed
12. 188 Northern Lights 1 15 2008 under construction
13. Hilton Anchorage West .. [Hilton Anchorage] 3 15 1963 completed
14. JL Tower 1 14 2008 completed
15. Westmark Anchorage Hotel 4 14 1973 completed
16. Inlet Tower Suites [Inlet Towers] 1 14 1952 completed
17. McKinley Tower [Inlet Towers] 1 14 1952 completed
18. BP Exploration Building 1 13 1985 completed
19. 701 West Eighth Avenue 4 12

You wouldn't know this but Anchorage was destroyed by an earthquake at least once.

Eyelids,

Of course little Howie Dean from the Socialist Republik of Vermont was amply qualified to be President, not just VP. I drive by the tallest building in Vt once a week. It's all of 6 stories. Lefties are so full of crap they float.