PDA

View Full Version : Romney Couldn't Even Garner The Same Amount Of Voters McCain Did

NJCardFan
11-07-2012, 07:07 AM
McCain garnered 59 million+ votes in 2008. Romney garnered 56+ million votes. All Romney needed to do was match McCain's support and he would have won because Obama got 58,855,477. A million less than McCain in 2008. Pathetic. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/election-map-2012/president/ And Romney did not carry one swing state.

Veritas Aequitas
11-07-2012, 07:51 AM
McCain garnered 59 million+ votes in 2008. Romney garnered 56+ million votes. All Romney needed to do was match McCain's support and he would have won because Obama got 58,855,477. A million less than McCain in 2008. Pathetic. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/election-map-2012/president/ And Romney did not carry one swing state.

Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. With this amount of enthusiasm to kick Obama out? Romney should have cleared 60 million easy. I don't buy this election (or president's) legitimacy for one God damned second. Not a thing we can do about it either, because asking if some voter fraud may exist in a country that uses a "trust based system" as the UN poll watchers put it is considered wing-nut heresy.

Skeptical about this election being rigged? A guy wearing a full-bodied gorilla suit was allowed to vote. A post-Saddam Iraq has more legitimate elections than Obama's America. Axelrod knew the fix was in when he bet his mustache.

Molon Labe
11-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever..

It makes alot of sense if you believe that in order to win you must energize the GOP base. Romney never did that. It's not his fault. He was a poor candidate. Hopefully the GOP learns this quickly before 2016 or it will be as bad.

m00
11-07-2012, 10:02 AM
It makes alot of sense if you believe that in order to win you must energize the GOP base. Romney never did that. It's not his fault. He was a poor candidate. Hopefully the GOP learns this quickly before 2016 or it will be as bad.

Why are you blaming Romney? This is clearly the fault of voters he ignored, but should have voted for him anyway... says the party of personal responsibility.

SarasotaRepub
11-07-2012, 10:07 AM

He was a poor candidate and never went for the kill. He could have ripped POTUS to pieces at the end of the second debate. He never pressed Obama on Libya and that was just piss poor handling. If Newt had gotten the nod it would have been a GOP landslide.

Time to move ahead.

Veritas Aequitas
11-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Why are you blaming Romney? This is clearly the fault of voters he ignored, but should have voted for him anyway... says the party of personal responsibility.

I have no idea what the fuck people like you want in a candidate. I'm guessing you supported Ron Paul?

m00
11-07-2012, 10:36 AM
I have no idea what the fuck people like you want in a candidate.

Someone who can win.

Veritas Aequitas
11-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Someone who can win.

Irrelevant. Ronald Reagan today would be painted as a complete right-wing whacko. A pre-homicidal Timothy McVeigh. The American sheeple would buy it hook, line sinker.

Obama won because most women and minorities are fucking lazy parasites now.

Molon Labe
11-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Irrelevant. Ronald Reagan today would be painted as a complete right-wing whacko. A pre-homicidal Timothy McVeigh. The American sheeple would buy it hook, line sinker.

If a guy like Reagan ran today. He WOULD have won. This country was screaming for someone who would reverse the last 20 years of BIG Government.

Some of you are just not going to get it. Hopefully you all are in the minority. Because in order to move ahead the GOP is going to have to do a soul check. As I have said before, I have faith they can do that, but this is their last chance with me.

Chuck58
11-07-2012, 11:25 AM
The GOP is going to have to find a candidate who appeals to the PEOPLE, pure and simple.

Romney is a good man, could pulled this country out of the mess, done all the things he said he would do but just as I've read here - he wouldn't fight for the job. Hell, last debate he agreed with obama on a number of issues.

That isn't what the voter wanted to hear. They wanted to hear the differences, and see a candidate who was willing to fight, like he did in the 1st debate.

Novaheart
11-07-2012, 11:37 AM

Ronald Reagan was not a right wing whacko. While many of us didn't agree, many thought he was charismatic- to the point at which people voted against their own interest and said stupid shit like, "Well... I voted for President Reagan because he made me feel good about being an American." No one questioned who Ronald Reagan was. We may not have liked him, or thought he was a great intellect, but you knew what you were getting. Can you honestly say that the American people knew what they would be getting in Romney?

Ronald Reagan also had a "home state". He was from Illinois and he had made California his home in a big way. Romney came off as some kind of rootless gypsy billionaire. I think that one of his mistakes was in buying the house in California. It confused people, who weren't real sure which state was supposedly his home state- and he didn't carry any of them (except Utah of course).

Veritas Aequitas
11-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Romney rocked the first debate and did no harm with the last two. He was up 5 to 7 points until Sandy hit.

If any individual is to blame it's that fat turd Chris Christie for sucking Obama's cock on national T.V. for simple doing what he's getting paid to do. And then participating in the comical bromance during the Jersey Shore photo-op. This was a billion dollars worth of publicity for the Obama campaign alone.

linda22003
11-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Irrelevant. Ronald Reagan today would be painted as a complete right-wing whacko.

I'm old enough to remember that he WAS painted that way at the time.

Adam Wood
11-07-2012, 11:41 AM
It seems to me that we've struck Alexis de Tocqueville's tipping point. There are apparently more people in this country now who want their free shit from the government, and they'll keep voting themselves their largess. Obama has managed to convince enough people that economic malaise is fine so long as the government can keep giving them bread and games down at the coliseum.

And with that being the case (and I believe that it is), it would not have mattered if Ronald Reagan had risen from the grave to run again. People are just going to keep voting for their free shit from the government. The Great Society has finally come to its inevitable fruition, and we are to have a permanent welfare state in this nation to resemble pretty much all of Europe.

Veritas Aequitas
11-07-2012, 11:45 AM
It seems to me that we've struck Alexis de Tocqueville's tipping point. There are apparently more people in this country now who want their free shit from the government, and they'll keep voting themselves their largess. Obama has managed to convince enough people that economic malaise is fine so long as the government can keep giving them bread and games down at the coliseum.

And with that being the case (and I believe that it is), it would not have mattered if Ronald Reagan had risen from the grave to run again. People are just going to keep voting for their free shit from the government. The Great Society has finally come to its inevitable fruition, and we are to have a permanent welfare state in this nation to resemble pretty much all of Europe.

Pretty much my point. The question is now, when does this become completely unsustainable, as in when do the parasites bleed the hosts dry?

Molon Labe
11-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Pretty much my point. The question is now, when does this become completely unsustainable, as in when do the parasites bleed the hosts dry?

"Eventually you run out of other peoples money" - Margaret Thatcher said that I believe.

Rockntractor
11-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Correct, plain and simple. everyone take care of yourselves and your families, politics are no longer a tool for our use, don't waste time on it, prepare for hard times.

noonwitch
11-07-2012, 12:13 PM
I have not seen all the break downs of the vote yet, but I would hazzard a guess that McCain got more military votes than Romney did. I know people who are independents who chose McCain in 2008 because they respected his service in Vietnam.

Hawkgirl
11-07-2012, 12:14 PM

I'd be wary of attacking the very people whose votes you now MUST carry if you want to win.

The old days of rich white old folks running under the Republican banner will not work. We need women and minorities in the R party if we want to make any headway with the voters. Marco Rubio 2016.

The ads that Romney ran were pathetic, women sitting at their kitchen table talking about the economy and how hurt they were...give me a break, get a marketing team that will destroy the opponent...no niceties anymore.

Odysseus
11-07-2012, 12:48 PM

There's a difference. The national media back then was biased, but it didn't ignore major news stories that were inconvenient. The Iranian Hostage Crisis and oil prices dominated the news. The unemployment stats weren't touted as an improvement when they weren't. The basic facts of Carter's failures were exposed to anyone who turned on a television or picked up a newspaper. Today, the media has expended massive effort in the obstruction of news. They not only refused to cover things like spiking gas prices, the Benghazi attack and subsequent cover-up or the economic bad news that has persisted throughout Obama's tenure, they have attacked anyone who did discuss them. When Romney objected to the administration's response to Benghazi, the press closed ranks and made the story his "gaffe", rather than the death of the ambassador and three others in a US Consular compound, and the administration's out and out lies about the cause of the attacks and its failure to respond. This was media as palace guard, and Orwellian Ministry of Truth that censored news more than it reported it.

NJCardFan
11-07-2012, 12:49 PM
I have no idea what the fuck people like you want in a candidate. I'm guessing you supported Ron Paul?

If Ron Paul would have been the nominee, this election would have resembled 1972 with Paul carrying Texas...maybe.

NJCardFan
11-07-2012, 12:52 PM
If a guy like Reagan ran today. He WOULD have won. This country was screaming for someone who would reverse the last 20 years of BIG Government.

Some of you are just not going to get it. Hopefully you all are in the minority. Because in order to move ahead the GOP is going to have to do a soul check. As I have said before, I have faith they can do that, but this is their last chance with me.

NO ONE LIKE THAT RAN! Your choices were Romney, who is what he is, and Obama and we all know what he is about. People like you chose to either not vote or throw your vote away on a guy who didn't have a prayer in hell to win. You only have yourselves to blame here.

txradioguy
11-07-2012, 01:05 PM

He's blaming Romney because it's the easy thing to do instead of admitting he's part of the problem because he stayed home and pouted.

Obama 2012 thanks Melon Lube for his support.

Janice
11-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Ignorance and apathy on a national scale combined with a far left media in league with a professional fraud-in-chief does make for more than curious results.

Also I think Romney was a weak candidate but not as bad as McCain. Most of us were voting for love of country, not Romney per se. At least thats my take.

Elspeth
11-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Third parties garnered very little of the vote. In the key swing states, 3rd parties made no difference. If people stayed home, that's something else, of course.

I agree with SR that Mitt Romney needed to hammer Benghazi into the public consciousness.

Zeus
11-07-2012, 02:41 PM

By his own party no less. Took Reagan three attempts to finally garner the Republican nomination and finally the Presidency.

I know folks are going to vehemently disagree but with a little research they would find that Romney was essentially the closest thing to a Reagan candidate since Reagan. Fiscal/social conservative.

Not saying Romney would have performed like Reagan but you never know.

Romney ran a good campaign , the ronbots didn't kill it for Romney and the dozen or so other excuses the eat your own Reps love to do after an election lose.

Like rush said this morning you can't fight Santa Claus.

P.S. Last night America's Toughest Sheriff got reelected to a sixth 4 yr term. Congratulations Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Molon Labe
11-07-2012, 02:53 PM
NO ONE LIKE THAT RAN! Your choices were Romney, who is what he is, and Obama and we all know what he is about. People like you chose to either not vote or throw your vote away on a guy who didn't have a prayer in hell to win. You only have yourselves to blame here.

Actually....on my ballot there were about 8 choices. So I guess since Romney was #1 loser it's safe to say that you threw your vote away too.

There are about 190 million registerd voters in this country. About 95 million will not cast a ballot at all and/or vote for someone else than the 2 parties. So, let's blame the other 95 million registered voters who did not choose to cast a vote or chose someone else as the reason Wiltard lost the election.

Yeah....Let's not hold the GOP responsible for who they promote and allow to run under their banner. And people like you keep accepting the same old shit sandwhiches they serve up to you year after year and then get mad when people don't want one of your "special Order samiches' ".

And don't forget to go to sleep for the next 4 years but wake up ready to cast your ballot again in 2016 for probably Chris Christie. You'll probably fall in line then too.

aerojarod
11-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Correct, plain and simple. everyone take care of yourselves and your families, politics are no longer a tool for our use, don't waste time on it, prepare for hard times.

That's right. Prepare mind, body and spirit for what's coming. Pay off your debts. Get to know your neighbors. Arm yourself. Store food. Grow a garden. Have a plan.

Adam Wood
11-07-2012, 03:42 PM
By his own party no less. Took Reagan three attempts to finally garner the Republican nomination and finally the Presidency.

I know folks are going to vehemently disagree but with a little research they would find that Romney was essentially the closest thing to a Reagan candidate since Reagan. Fiscal/social conservative.

Not saying Romney would have performed like Reagan but you never know.

Romney ran a good campaign , the ronbots didn't kill it for Romney and the dozen or so other excuses the eat your own Reps love to do after an election lose.

Like rush said this morning you can't fight Santa Claus.

P.S. Last night America's Toughest Sheriff got reelected to a sixth 4 yr term. Congratulations Sheriff Joe ArpaioGood post. Romney was a lot like Reagan, particularly after the first debate. He was positive and he expressed a vision for the country as well as being charismatic and expressing himself well. If that Romney had shown up in January, or last October, then the primaries would have been over before they even started. But he didn't. The somewhat timid, not very focused Romney who had a hard time showing that he had a grasp of conservative principles is who was around up until the convention, at the very earliest, and really it would be more accurate to say that it was closer to the first debate before he shed that skin.

I believe Mitt Romney is a good man. A very good man. I believe that he would have been a pretty damn good President. I believe that he has conservative principles (you kind of have to have pretty conservative principles in order to get as successful as he has been in business). I also believe that until just a couple or three months ago, he had never really sat down and thought about just exactly what conservative principles are, what they mean, and how to express them to others, and because of that, he missed a golden opportunity earlier in the race to differentiate himself from and elevate himself above Barack Obama. By the time the Reagan-esque Romney came on the scene, Obama and company had already written the narrative that he will never, ever be able to shake.

Molon Labe
11-07-2012, 03:45 PM
That's right. Prepare mind, body and spirit for what's coming. Pay off your debts. Get to know your neighbors. Arm yourself. Store food. Grow a garden. Have a plan.

Right...do those things.....that is until, they confiscate your gold, round up your neigbors, confiscate your guns, and make you wait in the bread line.

NJCardFan
11-07-2012, 03:56 PM
And don't forget to go to sleep for the next 4 years but wake up ready to cast your ballot again in 2016 for probably Chris Christie. You'll probably fall in line then too.

You do know I'm a registered Libertarian, right? However, unlike the rest of those unrealistic idiots, I know that no Libertarian is going to win in a national election...ever. The real fight is in local elections where most are non-partisan elections. But noooo, they gotta go for the brass ring right off. In actuality, aside from Romney not running a stronger campaign in October, I blame the Libertarian right and the Tea Party for not backing him. Romney is far better than what we have now and we're stuck with this for the next 4 years. By 2016, the debt is going to be so deep there will be no digging out. The depression is going to seem like a Sunday school picnic when all is said and done.

Zeus
11-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Good post. Romney was a lot like Reagan, particularly after the first debate. He was positive and he expressed a vision for the country as well as being charismatic and expressing himself well. If that Romney had shown up in January, or last October, then the primaries would have been over before they even started. But he didn't. The somewhat timid, not very focused Romney who had a hard time showing that he had a grasp of conservative principles is who was around up until the convention, at the very earliest, and really it would be more accurate to say that it was closer to the first debate before he shed that skin.

I believe Mitt Romney is a good man. A very good man. I believe that he would have been a pretty damn good President. I believe that he has conservative principles (you kind of have to have pretty conservative principles in order to get as successful as he has been in business). I also believe that until just a couple or three months ago, he had never really sat down and thought about just exactly what conservative principles are, what they mean, and how to express them to others, and because of that, he missed a golden opportunity earlier in the race to differentiate himself from and elevate himself above Barack Obama. By the time the Reagan-esque Romney came on the scene, Obama and company had already written the narrative that he will never, ever be able to shake.

The Obama campaign relied on one of the oldest and most effective sales techniques around . People's tendency to strongly prefer avoiding losses to acquiring gains. In economics it's called lose aversion. Hope & change was worn thin so he relied on fear.

Molon Labe
11-07-2012, 04:15 PM
You do know I'm a registered Libertarian, right? However, unlike the rest of those unrealistic idiots, I know that no Libertarian is going to win in a national election...ever. The real fight is in local elections where most are non-partisan elections. But noooo, they gotta go for the brass ring right off. In actuality, aside from Romney not running a stronger campaign in October, I blame the Libertarian right and the Tea Party for not backing him. Romney is far better than what we have now and we're stuck with this for the next 4 years. By 2016, the debt is going to be so deep there will be no digging out. The depression is going to seem like a Sunday school picnic when all is said and done.

Fine and I agree that the real battle is at the local and state level, and in the congress. If you are a Libertarian, then you understand the biggest problem they have as a party is agreeing.

For what it's worth. There's libertarian..... and then theirs Libertarian. One is a belief and one is a party. I am not a member of the party. I believe the foundation of what the GOP says (well once said) it stands for is libertarianism and that if it was more alive and well in the GOP, then you would have seen more of the Tea Party and Libertarian right supporting them.

What Romney offered did not substantially change the directory Obama was following to dig us out of the debt by 2016. And that is why he lost. Maybe when things cool down I'll explain my point of view.