PDA

View Full Version : How Conservative Media Lost to the MSM and Failed the Rank and File

The Night Owl
11-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Possibly the best post-election analysis out there...

How Conservative Media Lost to the MSM and Failed the Rank and File
NOV 7 2012, 6:30 AM ET

Nate Silver was right. His ideological antagonists were wrong. And that's just the beginning of the right's self-created information disadvantage.

Before rank-and-file conservatives ask, "What went wrong?", they should ask themselves a question every bit as important: "Why were we the last to realize that things were going wrong for us?"

Barack Obama just trounced a Republican opponent for the second time. But unlike four years ago, when most conservatives saw it coming, Tuesday's result was, for them, an unpleasant surprise. So many on the right had predicted a Mitt Romney victory, or even a blowout -- Dick Morris, George Will, and Michael Barone all predicted the GOP would break 300 electoral votes. Joe Scarborough scoffed at the notion that the election was anything other than a toss-up. Peggy Noonan insisted that those predicting an Obama victory were ignoring the world around them. Even Karl Rove, supposed political genius, missed the bulls-eye. These voices drove the coverage on Fox News, talk radio, the Drudge Report, and conservative blogs.

Those audiences were misinformed.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/11/how-conservative-media-lost-to-the-msm-and-failed-the-rank-and-file/264855/

Maybe it's time to turn off the Rush Limbaugh?

The Night Owl
11-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Nice job, mods. Moving my post nicely illustrates the problem outlined in the article. You guys seem to think you need to insulate yourselves from guys like Nate Silver and Chris Christie when really you guys should be listening to them.

Rockntractor
11-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Nice job, mods. Moving my post nicely illustrates the problem outlined in the article. You guys seem to think you need to insulate yourselves from guys like Nate Silver and Chris Christie when really you guys should be doing the opposite-- listen to them.

Get the fuck out of here!

The Night Owl
11-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Get the fuck out of here!

I'll interpret your comment as a request (and respectfully deny it).

Lager
11-07-2012, 06:11 PM
He conveniently ignores major polls that also showed Romney close or ahead, and I think it's hyperbole to call this a "trouncing" anyway. I'm probably getting close to growing weary of pundits on all sides myself. But the same denouncements he has of Hannity et al, can be applied to Matthews, O'donnel, Maher, etc. so he gains no moral high ground. Maybe conservative media amplifies Obama's faults, but there's also a strong case to be made that mainstream media amplifies his attributes.

m00
11-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Maybe conservative media amplifies Obama's faults, but there's also a strong case to be made that mainstream media amplifies his attributes.

I was reading an article on the Slate where it said (based on a serious study of positive v negative articles) that the MSM is far more left-wing than FOX is right-wing.

JB
11-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Maybe it's time to turn off the Rush Limbaugh?Perhaps folks need to turn MSNBCABCPBSCBSNPRNBC off.

The Night Owl
11-07-2012, 10:19 PM
I was reading an article on the Slate where it said (based on a serious study of positive v negative articles) that the MSM is far more left-wing than FOX is right-wing.

Fox News is the most popular cable news channel. Doesn't that make them the lamestream media, as that one lady likes to call it?

Rockntractor
11-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Fox News is the most popular cable news channel. Doesn't that make them the lamestream media, as that one lady likes to call it?

At times it does, they pull a lot of their stories off the same wire everybody else does.

The Night Owl
11-07-2012, 10:29 PM
He conveniently ignores major polls that also showed Romney close or ahead, and I think it's hyperbole to call this a "trouncing" anyway. I'm probably getting close to growing weary of pundits on all sides myself. But the same denouncements he has of Hannity et al, can be applied to Matthews, O'donnel, Maher, etc. so he gains no moral high ground. Maybe conservative media amplifies Obama's faults, but there's also a strong case to be made that mainstream media amplifies his attributes.

I think the problem is that righties began believing their own mythology regarding Obama-- for example, this idea that Obama is a dumb guy who can't function without a teleprompter.

JB
11-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Fox News is the most popular cable news channel. Doesn't that make them the lamestream media, as that one lady likes to call it?Yes, yes it does. You are correct and more brilliant than all of us. I don't know why you even post here. Thank you for your generous insight.

Now go away.

Adam Wood
11-08-2012, 12:28 AM
I think the problem is that righties began believing their own mythology regarding Obama-- for example, this idea that Obama is a dumb guy who can't function without a teleprompter.That's demonstrably proven fact, not some mythology. Obama can't function without a teleprompter, as he has demonstrated more times than anyone can count. Obama isn't some brilliant guy, as he has demonstrated more times than anyone can count.

Whether you like it or not, your messiah just plain isn't very bright. He's cunning. He's wily. He didn't get where he is without those attributes (and every President has to have those attributes in order to become President in the first place). But he's not too terribly intelligent. He's far from the first person to make their lives on being wily and cunning while not being all that smart: Al Capone was dumb as a bag of dryer lint, but he was wily and cunning and was a tremendous success in his field. Same goes for Donald Trump: wily, cunning, but not joining Mensa any time soon.

NJCardFan
11-08-2012, 04:23 AM
I think the problem is that righties began believing their own mythology regarding Obama-- for example, this idea that Obama is a dumb guy who can't function without a teleprompter.

:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHUsRTYFAU

NJCardFan
11-08-2012, 04:31 AM
Here is something TNO and those of his ilk are refusing to accept is that the left wing media i.e. pretty much 99% of the media, has turned into nothing more than the propaganda arm of the Obama administration. One has to look no further than the Benghazi situation. Why isn't anyone from CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, BSNBC vetting the administration on this. That debacle is such a blatant mishandling of the situation as well as a subsequent cover up and none of what is supposed to be considered a trusted media is vetting Obama on it. Why? Because to them the ends justifies the means. Getting Obama re-elected so the left wing agenda can be carried through is more important than the truth. The truth about a president who denied several requests for extra security made by our ambassador then when the shit hit the fan wouldn't send in reinforcements and went so far as to order security already there to stand down and when the ambassador was murdered as well as 3 other Americans, the president, his secy of state and UN ambassador went on a 2 week mission apologizing and blaming some obscure video for the attack when they all knew it was an organized terror attack. None of this was reported in the MSM and if it weren't for people like Jennifer Griffin, Catherine Herridge, and Jeanine Pirro this would have never seen the light of day. But it's OK because we all know that a woman's pussy is more important than the truth.

txradioguy
11-08-2012, 05:48 AM

Oh look the Fowl Owl is back to shit on the rug.

And in typical fashion this douchebag can't come up with anything original ans has to parrot what's being said on MSNBC.

Electing someone like Christie as our GOP nominee is what got us a second term of Obama.

GDIAF fucktard.

Zathras
11-08-2012, 11:11 AM

Hey Rock...that sounds like a challenge to me to you and your banhammer.....

Rockntractor
11-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Hey Rock...that sounds like a challenge to me to you and your banhammer.....

I shut him down for a couple hours but I thought if we were letting the other Obama people like m00, Melon Lube and mike spout their shit, I should allow the retarded carrion bird to say his piece also.

Zathras
11-08-2012, 12:05 PM
I shut him down for a couple hours but I thought if we were letting the other Obama people like m00, Melon Lube and mike spout their shit, I should allow the retarded carrion bird to say his piece also.

well, he's had his say, now drop the hammer on him and be done with him.

txradioguy
11-08-2012, 12:58 PM

To hell with them. I say swing that hammer once real good and get rid of all of them.

Rockntractor
11-08-2012, 01:07 PM
To hell with them. I say swing that hammer once real good and get rid of all of them.

Who would we have to slap around? We would have to find new bitches.

txradioguy
11-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Who would we have to slap around? We would have to find new bitches.

You know as well as I do that they just pop up with new names.

The Night Owl
11-08-2012, 03:06 PM
:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHUsRTYFAU

Lots of intelligent people stammer, lose their train of thought, or get facts mixed up when speaking extemporaneously. George W. Bush is another good example of this.

The Night Owl
11-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Whether you like it or not, your messiah just plain isn't very bright. He's cunning. He's wily. He didn't get where he is without those attributes (and every President has to have those attributes in order to become President in the first place). But he's not too terribly intelligent. He's far from the first person to make their lives on being wily and cunning while not being all that smart: Al Capone was dumb as a bag of dryer lint, but he was wily and cunning and was a tremendous success in his field. Same goes for Donald Trump: wily, cunning, but not joining Mensa any time soon.

So, it's true to say that 100% of the candidates your side chose got trounced by a man who "isn't very bright." What does this say about your side?

m00
11-08-2012, 03:41 PM
So, it's true to say that 100% of the candidates your side chose got trounced by a man who "isn't very bright." What does this say about your side?

We misunderestimated.

By the way, did you read that Obama was a moderate Republican? Was in the Slate.

NJCardFan
11-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Lots of intelligent people stammer, lose their train of thought, or get facts mixed up when speaking extemporaneously. George W. Bush is another good example of this.

You people are such children. How many times are you people going to use the "well your guy did this" meme?

Zathras
11-08-2012, 04:52 PM
You people are such children. How many times are you people going to use the "well your guy did this" meme?

As long as they think they can get away with their childish behavior. That's why we should smack the Shit Bird upside the head with the Banhammer.

Zathras
11-08-2012, 04:54 PM

We underestimated the stupidity of your side and their willingness to vote in a dullard for President.

Lager
11-08-2012, 05:16 PM
We don't need myths when he has so many obvious negative factors hanging over him: A horrible economy, record high unemployment, a major foreign policy gaffe right before the election along with a cover-up, a racial divide that's grown since he took office, fast and furious, Obama care-which polls show a majority against, his decision to help oust Ghaddifi, causing a vaccum that radical islamists are taking advantage of, etc.
So, it's really no surprise republicans thought he was beatable.

Molon Labe
11-08-2012, 05:42 PM
I wish Liberals and Conservatives alike could see that there is really only two types of media. You have the MSM and you have Independent sources. One deals mostly in disinformation to the public while the other more often than not deals in trying to investigate and bring to light.

Is their a left wing bias in most of the MSM. Yep, You bet there is.

but it's more in order to attract a particular group of viewers and push progressive "Collectivism". The MSM is selling people a product. It's called entertainment. Sorry folks...Fox news is part of the big joke. When conservatives started getting wise to this and figuring it out, Rupert Murdoch invented Fox news to keep that viewership. Murdoch is a liberal. He has no vested interest in our conservative values and beliefs taking root.

It took me a long time to figure this out, but watching O'Rieley go from a pretty good journalist 20 years ago to a loudmouth was a tip off.

Molon Labe
11-08-2012, 05:44 PM

How does the left rationalize Bush's two wins?

Adam Wood
11-08-2012, 06:08 PM
So, it's true to say that 100% of the candidates your side chose got trounced by a man who "isn't very bright." What does this say about your side?It says that we fucked up the primaries a couple of times. It also says that cunning and deceptive, unfortunately, manage to work to get people elected to the Presidency. It says that the Chicago political corruption machine has grown very powerful indeed, something of which I'm sure you are quite proud.

Odysseus
11-08-2012, 06:23 PM

We were not trounced by Obama. We were trounced by the combined weight of 70 years of entitlement mentality and a grotesquely dishonest and corrupt media establishment. When 47% of the electorate is paying no taxes, and expects the rest of us to support them, then we have reached a tipping point. You can congratulate yourself for winning the election, but what you've accomplished is to convince just over 50% of the passengers on the Titanic to run full tilt into the iceberg. Well done. Enjoy the rest of the voyage and stay out of my lifeboat, parasite.

LadyGunSlinger
11-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Nice job, mods. Moving my post nicely illustrates the problem outlined in the article. You guys seem to think you need to insulate yourselves from guys like Nate Silver and Chris Christie when really you guys should be listening to them.

Listening to Chris Christie and Nate Silver?? LIBERALS? We just walked down this road with John McCain and Mitt Romney and you're giving conservatives advice on how they should circle jerk with another RINO squad?

Zathras
11-08-2012, 08:00 PM

Theft.

NJCardFan
11-08-2012, 08:24 PM
We were not trounced by Obama. We were trounced by the combined weight of 70 years of entitlement mentality and a grotesquely dishonest and corrupt media establishment. When 47% of the electorate is paying no taxes, and expects the rest of us to support them, then we have reached a tipping point. You can congratulate yourself for winning the election, but what you've accomplished is to convince just over 50% of the passengers on the Titanic to run full tilt into the iceberg. Well done. Enjoy the rest of the voyage and stay out of my lifeboat, parasite.

Which leads to this axiom: "When you rob Peter to pay Paul, you will always have the support of Paul."

txradioguy
11-09-2012, 03:08 AM
Listening to Chris Christie and Nate Silver?? LIBERALS? We just walked down this road with John McCain and Mitt Romney and you're giving conservatives advice on how they should circle jerk with another RINO squad?

Well well look who snuck back in here.

Hopefully you didn't bring those two mouth breathing idiots back with you that you were defending last time.

The Night Owl
11-09-2012, 11:15 AM

If the hardliners can't win your primaries then what gives you the idea that they can win the general election?

You guys should have run Huntsman!

m00
11-09-2012, 11:23 AM
If the hardliners can't win your primaries then what gives you the idea that they can win the general election?

Did you follow the primaries?

The Night Owl
11-09-2012, 11:27 AM

I haven't claimed that Bush is dumb. In fact, I plainly stated the opposite.

Odysseus
11-09-2012, 01:15 PM

We could have run Che Guevara and the Democrats and their media would have labelled him as a rightwing extremist. Huntsman would have gone down to even greater failure, since he didn't appeal to any part of the Republican base.

This election was the result of two things: The collusion between a corrupt media and a corrupt Democratic Party to hide and obscure bad news that might have informed a different decision by the American people, and the encroachment of an entitlement mentality that has made 47% of Americans into welfare serfs. You should be familiar with the media obfuscation, since you are a practitioner of it, or do you still claim that Van Jones isn't a communist?

Rockntractor
11-09-2012, 02:09 PM
I would think the turd bird would understand that he needs at least as many conservatives as there are now to feed his rotting carcass and those like him.
I'm not going to pull the cart anymore than I absolutely have to anymore.

txradioguy
11-09-2012, 02:33 PM

Thank you Morning Schmo.

txradioguy
11-09-2012, 02:34 PM
I would think the turd bird would understand that he needs at least as many conservatives as there are now to feed his rotting carcass and those like him.
I'm not going to pull the cart anymore than I absolutely have to anymore.

The Foul Owl won't be concerned about that until we're all bled dry...only then when he can't find anyone to pay for his free Government cheese will he begin to panic.

The Night Owl
11-09-2012, 03:33 PM
We could have run Che Guevara and the Democrats and their media would have labelled him as a rightwing extremist. Huntsman would have gone down to even greater failure, since he didn't appeal to any part of the Republican base.

This election was the result of two things: The collusion between a corrupt media and a corrupt Democratic Party to hide and obscure bad news that might have informed a different decision by the American people, and the encroachment of an entitlement mentality that has made 47% of Americans into welfare serfs. You should be familiar with the media obfuscation, since you are a practitioner of it, or do you still claim that Van Jones isn't a communist?

One of the surprises of the election was that the base did turn out for Romney. Even the evangelicals, who I incorrectly predicted would stay home, turned out for Romney and in numbers larger than McCain got. The problem is that the base is too small. Novaheart pointed this out in another thread but you guys don't want to listen. What can I say? Enjoy life in the bubble.

Molon Labe
11-09-2012, 05:23 PM
One of the surprises of the election was that the base did turn out for Romney. Even the evangelicals, who I incorrectly predicted would stay home, turned out Romney and in numbers larger than McCain got. The problem is that the base is too small. Novaheart correctly pointed this out in another thread but you guys don't want to listen. What can I say? Enjoy life in the bubble.

Um...that is incorrect. Evangelicals do not make up the brunt of the base. 12 million less voters than in 08' voted Tuesday. In a shitty economy with alot on the line. Speaking as a long term GOPer. They served up their 2nd "moderate"...so called in 4 years and got rejected. Romney didn't offer the country anything radcially different than Obama was offering. The media tried to portray the differences between them. Most of them marginal ones. Most of the time they were disagreeing on "how" health care would be socialized, or "how" different they would tax people. All differences that don't amount to squat. What was going to win this election were right wing proposals that radically altered the way Big government works, like allowing young people to option out of paying for SS. Or truly closing several of the Federal Departments for good. But he didn't have the balls to do that, so he lost.

It was his inability to bring in independents coupled with energizing his base that did him in.

Molon Labe
11-09-2012, 05:26 PM
This election was the result of two things: The collusion between a corrupt media and a corrupt Democratic Party to hide and obscure bad news that might have informed a different decision by the American people, and the encroachment of an entitlement mentality that has made 47% of Americans into welfare serfs.

Being in the party of personal responsibility......Do you ever get tired of blaming little ghosties or someone else for Romney's horrible abilities and just plain crappiness?

Rockntractor
11-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Being in the party of personal responsibility......Do you ever get tired of blaming little ghosties or someone else for Romney's horrible abilities and just plain crappiness?

You yourself know you are going way to far with that statement, can't you be honest?

Molon Labe
11-09-2012, 07:02 PM
You yourself know you are going way to far with that statement, can't you be honest?

I believe the media does work overtime to twist and do so very much, but this year and 2008 are bad examples. There really didn't need to me much spin to defeat these two.

2000, and 2004 are much better examples of it, but the GOP overcame it. The best way to find media effecting elections is to look at lower tier candidates and how they are treated and marginalized as they have little money and so they cannot get traction. They are kept out of the process.