PDA

View Full Version : Post your recipes here!!

SaintLouieWoman
06-10-2008, 10:42 PM
This is just a stop-gap til we get new forums back up and running, but I'll sticky this and see if it will at least be a place where you can find newly posted recipes without having to go back 2 or 3 pages or more in the lounge.

patriot45
06-10-2008, 11:01 PM
This is just a stop-gap til we get new forums back up and running, but I'll sticky this and see if it will at least be a place where you can find newly posted recipes without having to go back 2 or 3 pages or more in the lounge.

Awwwww that was sweet!! :D

SaintLouieWoman
06-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Awwwww that was sweet!! :D

You can thank SR. I couldn't get the darned thing to sticky---something about authorizations or clearances. So he stuck it for you.

Enjoy looking forward to your recipes and pics.

DarkScribe
06-11-2008, 07:09 AM

Can we call it Pat's Recipes? :p 'Cause you know he's gonna be posting more of his than anyone else...WITH pic goodness, too! (teasing, man...we LOVE your recipes...)

noonwitch
06-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Chocolate Caramel Bars:

1 box Pillsbury german chocolate cake mix
2/3 cup evaporated milk, divided
1 stick of melted margerine (butter doesn't work in this recipe)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 14 oz package of Kraft caramels
1 package chocolate chips

Mix cake mix, melted margerine, 1/3 cup of evaporated milk, and walnuts in a bowl. Take 1/2 of the dough and press it into the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking pan. Bake at 350 for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the caramels into the other 1/3 cup of evaporated milk in a pot on the stove.

Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the baked layer, then spread the caramel mixture on top of the chips. Sprinkly pieces of the rest of the dough over the top of the caramel, return to the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes.

These are really good-I make them all the time for work or church. People offer to pay me to make them. The hardest part is unwrapping all the caramels.

patriot45
06-13-2008, 07:34 PM
We made some of the pork chops from that hog I killed. We used the slow cooker for 4 hours, way tender, and put it over some white and wild rice. And a cold beer! :D

Hog Chops w/Wild Rice
This recipe can be cooked either in a crockpot or on top of the stove in a skillet with a lid. This recipe addresses the skillet method.
4 - 6 Wild Hog Pork Chops
1 Tbs. oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can of diced chilies and tomatoes
1 chopped onion
1 Cup long grain white rice and 1/4 Cup wild rice
3 Cups water

1. After pork chops have soaked in salt water solution 20-30 minutes and have been rinsed
2. Turn skillet on high and add the oil
3. Place the chopped onion in the bottom of the skillet; stir constantly until opaque.
4. Place the pork chops on top of the onions and brown on both sides
5. Add the can of cream of mushroom soup
6. Add the can of diced chilies and tomatoes with the liquid
7. Add salt and pepper to taste
8. Add any optional spices your family may prefer
9. Stir this mixture
10. Turn skillet down to medium (mixture should cook but not boil over)
11. Cook 30 - 45 minutes (chops should be fork tender)
12. In a separate add the water
13. Bring water to full boil
14. Add the rice
15. Cover and reduce to simmer
16. Cook rice for 20-30 minutes (until wild rice is done)
17. Serve pork chops over rice with green salad, rolls and iced tea

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/wildpig003.jpg

patriot45
06-16-2008, 03:20 PM
We had some friends over saturday nite and wanted to use up all the lobster shells and meat we had leftover from thier anniversary dinner. The first thing we did was to make a huge batch of lobster stock. Much good aroma and flavorful stock!
This was used for 2 of the recipes that follow.

P.S. Save all leftover lobster meat before putting the shells in the pot!

12 cups water
Up to 5 pounds Maine lobster shells and/or bodies
2 cups aromatics, roughly chopped, celery, onion, leeks, carrots and garlic.
2 bay leaves
5 sprigs fresh parsley
6 whole peppercorns
1 cup dry white wine (may be omitted)
Add all the ingredients to a large, heavy stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1 hour.
Remove the stock from the heat; strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer.
Return the liquid to the stovetop and simmer over moderate heat until it is reduced to about 2 quarts.
Store cooled stock for up to four days in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer.
Makes about 2 quarts.

This is what got strained out!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/lobster003.jpg

linda22003
06-16-2008, 03:24 PM
I always have lobster fumet in the freezer, which I "distill" from the times we have lobster. Very good base for bisques and cioppino. The only quibble I have is that I don't think the wine is "optional" - in fact, I increase it to about half the liquid total.

patriot45
06-16-2008, 03:31 PM
We made crab cakes to serve on the risotto, with a killer chipotle sauce!

1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups shrimp meat, cooked and diced
12 crimini mushrooms, thickly sliced (I couldnt find any so I used baby portobellos)
2 tablespoons brandy
1/4 cup shallots, roughly chopped
2 cups arborio rice
1 cup white wine
6 cups lobster broth (see note below)
Salt and pepper to taste

2 tablespoons chive, minced

METHOD

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium sauce pan. Stir in crimini mushrooms, and cook, stirring, until lightly browned. Add shrimp meat and cook for 1 minute. Raise heat, stir in brandy and cook, stirring, for one more minute. Remove from heat, and set aside.

Heat remaining olive oil in a large saucepan. Stir in shallots and cook over medium heat until shallots are translucent. Add rice and stir continuously until all grains are coated and rice is shiny, about two minutes.

Stir in white wine. Cook, stirring for two minutes. Stir in half the lobster broth and continue to cook, stirring continuously.

When broth is absorbed, add remaining broth one cup at a time. When only one cup remains, stir in lobster/mushroom mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serves: 6

Getting ready for the rice.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/lobster008.jpg

It takes a good while to absorb the stock.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/lobster010.jpg

A sample dish before the cabcakes.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/lobster011.jpg

patriot45
06-16-2008, 03:34 PM
I always have lobster fumet in the freezer, which I "distill" from the times we have lobster. Very good base for bisques and cioppino. The only quibble I have is that I don't think the wine is "optional" - in fact, I increase it to about half the liquid total.

I agree, I actually added some store bought seafood stock with the water and wine.

linda22003
06-16-2008, 03:36 PM
OK, seafood guy, how am I going to do the big sea scallops that are waiting for me at home tonight? The rain will prevent grilling, and it's boring to just run them under the broiler.

patriot45
06-16-2008, 03:49 PM
I made a batch of this to go on our appetizer, everyone agreed I should make more for the crab cakes it was so good!

Sauce
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon chopped roasted red peppers packed in jar
2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chilies

Mix all ingredients in bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

patriot45
06-16-2008, 03:51 PM
OK, seafood guy, how am I going to do the big sea scallops that are waiting for me at home tonight? The rain will prevent grilling, and it's boring to just run them under the broiler.

Aha! I use one if these!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/cumeetup021.jpg

patriot45
06-16-2008, 03:59 PM
My own concoction!

Polenta - instant works fine
Fresh crab meat
red caviar ($6.99)
chipotle sauce
sprigs of parsley

Form cakes of the polenta in ramekins and flip over on a plate
spoon some crab on top
add some red caviar on top of the crab
spoon some sauce around
arrange parsley sprigs

And voila, an apetizer!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/lobster006.jpg

patriot45
06-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Best I have ever had!! No stinking fillers.

Ingredients
2 eggs
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (this instead of English dry mustard is my variation on traditional recipes)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 pinch of cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 pounds Dungeness crab meat (or lump crab meat from the best crab available to you)
2 tablespoons finely ground cracker crumbs
Clarified butter as needed for frying (sauteing)
bread crumbs (Japanese bread crumbs) as needed

Directions

1. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl to blend

2. Add mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire, Old Bay seasoning, pepper, cayenne and salt and whisk until smooth

3. Mix in crab and cracker crumbs

4. Form into 16 small (1/2 inch thick) crab cakes if serving as an appetize or 8 cakes if using as an entree

5. Place on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper or wax paper and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes

6. Coat the crab cakes with Panko bread crumbs

7. Fry in clarified butter until golden brown on both sides

8. Serve with tartar sauce or cocktail sauce or your favorite sauce

Oooh, all that butter and crab!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/lobster016.jpg

Served over the shrimp risotto with plenty o sauce!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/lobster018.jpg

patriot45
06-16-2008, 04:19 PM
The creamiest, richest soup that you can slurp!!

First off, you need the rest of your lobster stock and meat.
3 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, plus extra, for garnish
1/2 teaspoon saffron
6 cups heavy cream
1 cup cream sherry
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 reserved lobster head

put pot on medium heat. Add heavy cream slowly, using whisk to blend. Add sherry. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes; bisque will thicken slightly. Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and slowly add to bisque with whisk. Simmer on low heat for another 20 minutes.

If you prefer your bisque to be thicker, you may add more cornstarch, or perhaps, flour, but have found the bisque thickens nicely over low heat, and additional cornstarch or flour takes away from the wonderful flavor.

Place pieces of previous cleaned lobster meat in bowl and add 1 cup of bisque. Garnish with head and one parsley leaf in center, if desired.

By now, too many white russians and my plating is suffering!:D

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/lobster020.jpg

Jumpy
06-16-2008, 06:59 PM

1/2 teaspoon saffron
6 cups heavy cream
1 cup cream sherry
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 reserved lobster head

put pot on medium heat. Add heavy cream slowly, using whisk to blend. Add sherry. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes; bisque will thicken slightly. Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and slowly add to bisque with whisk. Simmer on low heat for another 20 minutes.

If you prefer your bisque to be thicker, you may add more cornstarch, or perhaps, flour, but have found the bisque thickens nicely over low heat, and additional cornstarch or flour takes away from the wonderful flavor.

Place pieces of previous cleaned lobster meat in bowl and add 1 cup of bisque. Garnish with head and one parsley leaf in center, if desired.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/lobster020.jpg The recipe looks positively decadent! Heavy cream.. sherry...

But no friggen way would I garnish with the LOBSTERS HEAD! That would freak me out. Its beady little eyes staring up at me. yikes!

gator
06-16-2008, 09:08 PM

1/2 teaspoon saffron
6 cups heavy cream
1 cup cream sherry
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 reserved lobster head

Variation:

Use whole milk or half and half instead of the cream and put in a cup and a half to two cups of Velveta cheese to make it a lobster cheese soup. You can sub other cheeses like cheedar but the Velveta makes it good.

Phillygirl
06-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Variation:

Use whole milk or half and half instead of the cream and put in a cup and a half to two cups of Velveta cheese to make it a crab cheese soup. You can sub other cheeses like cheedar but the Velveta makes it good.

Velveeta is amazing stuff...apparently it can turn lobster bisque into crab cheese soup!

gator
06-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Velveeta is amazing stuff...apparently it can turn lobster bisque into crab cheese soup!

Sorry for the mistake you eagle eyed little thing. The recipe came from crab cheese but works just as well with lobster.

Go back to eating your Philly ChesseScrapple sandwich and leave the discussion of seafod to those that actually have eaten it before.

Phillygirl
06-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Sorry for the mistake you eagle eyed little thing. The recipe came from crab cheese but works just as well with lobster.

Go back to eating your Philly ChesseScrapple sandwich and leave the discussion of seafod to those that actually have eaten it before.

Sorry...I'm as big a velveeta fan as the next person. But it has no business being anywhere near crab. I live near the Eastern Shore. Crab country. Keep the velveeta away from it.

gator
06-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Sorry...I'm as big a velveeta fan as the next person. But it has no business being anywhere near crab. I live near the Eastern Shore. Crab country. Keep the velveeta away from it.

I had great crab cheese soup at The Oaks on Friday night. It was out of this world. I ask the waiter what kind of cheese did they use and he checked with the cook and came back and said Velveeta.

Phillygirl
06-16-2008, 09:38 PM
I had great crab cheese soup at The Oaks on Friday night. It was out of this world. I ask the waiter what kind of cheese did they use and he checked with the cook and came back and said Velveeta.

They lied. Or you don't know great crab soup. It's a toss up.

linda22003
06-17-2008, 08:16 AM
I make my crab cakes with no cracker filler at all. For each pound of crab, puree 1/4 pound of scallops in the food processor and mix it into the crab and egg mixture. I also add a lot of Old Bay and chopped scallions. The pureed scallops act like glue to hold the crab miixture together. For people with celiac disorder (meaning, they can't eat wheat in any form), this is a great solution.

Teetop
06-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Too many to list, but I go to www.recipesource.com for anything I don't know how to make. :)

SaintLouieWoman
06-17-2008, 09:49 PM
I make my crab cakes with no cracker filler at all. For each pound of crab, puree 1/4 pound of scallops in the food processor and mix it into the crab and egg mixture. I also add a lot of Old Bay and chopped scallions. The pureed scallops act like glue to hold the crab miixture together. For people with celiac disorder (meaning, they can't eat wheat in any form), this is a great solution.
Thanks for the good idea using the scallops. Your recipe sounds delicious.

linda22003
06-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Just be careful about cooking; keep an eye on them. The scallop mixture is rubbery if it overcooks.

SaintLouieWoman
06-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Yay! Now we have the recipe forum, so no more stickie threads in the lounge. :D