PDA

View Full Version : Allen West concedes to Patrick Murphy

SarasotaRepub
11-20-2012, 02:04 PM
It's over. (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/84068.html)

By ALEX ISENSTADT | 11/20/12 5:45 AM EST

Florida Rep. Allen West (http://www.politico.com/tag/allen-west)— the tea party pugilist and face of the class of House Republicans that stormed to power two years ago — conceded Tuesday to 29-year-old construction executive Patrick Murphy (http://www.politico.com/tag/patrick-murphy) in one of the nation’s highest-profile congressional races.

After two weeks of battle with St. Lucie County elections officials — and a recount of early votes that wound up extending Murphy’s lead — West acknowledged that he couldn’t surmount his 1,904-vote, or 0.58 percent, deficit. That difference was just outside the 0.5 percent threshold to automatically trigger a recount of all votes.

m00
11-20-2012, 02:15 PM
I think West probably really did win the election. If everyone who voted for Romney also voted for West, he would have won. Seems unlikely people broke for Romney and then went on and voted for Murphy. I can see people doing an Obama/West split... but I can't imagine a substantial bloc of voters doing a Romney/Murphy split.

Arroyo_Doble
11-20-2012, 03:39 PM
I think West probably really did win the election. If everyone who voted for Romney also voted for West, he would have won. Seems unlikely people broke for Romney and then went on and voted for Murphy. I can see people doing an Obama/West split... but I can't imagine a substantial bloc of voters doing a Romney/Murphy split.

Why not? Indiana, Missouri, North Dakota, and Montana went for Romney yet the Democratic Senate candidate won.

m00
11-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Why not? Indiana, Missouri, North Dakota, and Montana went for Romney yet the Democratic Senate candidate won.

Yeah, but West is black.

Arroyo_Doble
11-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Yeah, but West is black.

http://www.supamovs.com/c/5848/5848_0.jpg

Rockntractor
11-20-2012, 04:14 PM
It has never been about democracy with the Democrats, that is why the method to gain power is unimportant.
Do you really believe a party that wants to give all power to government really cares if the people choose to do that?

AmPat
11-21-2012, 10:30 AM
WTG Flori-DUH,,,Again!

NJCardFan
11-21-2012, 02:29 PM
WTG Flori-DUH,,,Again!

They redistricted his area into a majority Democrat area. Gerrymandering at it's worst.

Novaheart
11-23-2012, 12:21 PM
They redistricted his area into a majority Democrat area. Gerrymandering at it's worst.

What is the basis for this claim? If you will compare the 2010 map to the 2012 map, you will see much less in the way of squiggly lines and westward wandering branches to that district. It went from being a splotch to being a rectangle.

NJCardFan
11-23-2012, 01:07 PM
What is the basis for this claim? If you will compare the 2010 map to the 2012 map, you will see much less in the way of squiggly lines and westward wandering branches to that district. It went from being a splotch to being a rectangle.

And if that splotch was majority democrat they wouldn't have made said rectangle. I can show you worse but then again you'd just twist it to fit your world view. Hypocrite.

Novaheart
11-23-2012, 01:32 PM
And if that splotch was majority democrat they wouldn't have made said rectangle. I can show you worse but then again you'd just twist it to fit your world view. Hypocrite.

The districts were redrawn under new rules because the people of Florida amended the Florida constitution to require that districts be compact and contiguous. Personally, I think the better solution would have been to draw straight lines across the state in equal population increments with all other considerations be damned.

txradioguy
11-23-2012, 01:56 PM
What is the basis for this claim?

You mean besides reality?

AmPat
11-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Don't you know that the shape of the Gerrymandered district and that alone means it stayed the same demographically? Sheesh, every liberal knows that.:rolleyes:

Novaheart
11-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Don't you know that the shape of the Gerrymandered district and that alone means it stayed the same demographically? Sheesh, every liberal knows that.:rolleyes:

The point of the realignment wasn't to keep the demographics the same.

In establishing Legislative district boundaries: (1) No apportionment plan or district shall be drawn with the intent to favor or disfavor a political party or an incumbent; and districts shall not be drawn with the intent or result of denying or abridging the equal opportunity of racial or language minorities to participate in the political process or to diminish their ability to elect representatives of their choice; and districts shall consist of contiguous territory. (2) Unless compliance with the standards in this subsection conflicts with the standards in subsection (1) or with federal law, districts shall be as nearly equal in population as is practicable; districts shall be compact; and districts shall, where feasible, utilize existing political and geographical boundaries. (3) The order in which the standards within sub-sections (1) and (2) of this section are set forth shall not be read to establish any priority of one standard over the other within that subsection.

txradioguy
11-23-2012, 05:33 PM
The point of realignment by the RNC was to do exactly what happened. Force West out. He's liked by the TEA party...therefore Rence Pribus and the rest of the establishment decided he had to go.

He wasn't the only one they tried to do it to...just the only one they succeeded with.

Novaheart
11-24-2012, 10:42 AM
The point of realignment by the RNC was to do exactly what happened. Force West out. He's liked by the TEA party...therefore Rence Pribus and the rest of the establishment decided he had to go.

He wasn't the only one they tried to do it to...just the only one they succeeded with.

The GOP fought the Florida Fair Districts amendment tooth and nail.

txradioguy
11-26-2012, 05:11 AM

Certain districts. TEA Party favorites like West got the shaft.

House Speaker Weepy hates the TEA Party.

Janice
11-26-2012, 09:10 AM

Does the GOP fight for anything? Oh thats right... to "cross the aisle".

And maybe to trash a tea party candidate here and there ...

Novaheart
11-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Certain districts. TEA Party favorites like West got the shaft.

House Speaker Weepy hates the TEA Party.

Then you must think the GOP leadership incompetent if the best they could do was cause a squeaker that made Allen West and the GOP look like whiny sore losers.

Your company:

http://www.facebook.com/Arpaio

noonwitch
11-26-2012, 01:56 PM

How secure is Pribus' job as RNC chair, following the election? Steele got fired from that job and he didn't screw up half as badly. Even if the Tea Party is only 30% of the GOP (and I'm not saying it's not a larger percentage), it's probably enough to replace him with somebody more in touch with the Tea Party. A lot of republicans who aren't necessarily Tea Party people still don't like losing elections.

PeterS
12-03-2012, 02:55 PM
How secure is Pribus' job as RNC chair, following the election? Steele got fired from that job and he didn't screw up half as badly. Even if the Tea Party is only 30% of the GOP (and I'm not saying it's not a larger percentage), it's probably enough to replace him with somebody more in touch with the Tea Party. A lot of republicans who aren't necessarily Tea Party people still don't like losing elections.

And going further to the right will win elections?

Starbuck
12-03-2012, 03:34 PM
And going further to the right will win elections?
No. The right has lost. There are more people on the left than the right, and those people will vote themselves an ever larger spot at the trough of government benefits. Mitt Romney was wrong about the 47% but only because it has become 51%.

Obama phones, food stamps, special benefits for everyone who is stupid enough to take them. The right isn't like that. We want opportunity, not guarantees. We know that the vast majority of people who receive the special benefits like food stamps will then begin to sabotage their lives so that they never disqualify.

The right will not win elections again until Americans become sick of themselves. And, judging from the homeless man in New York who turned down a pair of shoes, most Americans ain't even close to that mark yet.