PDA

View Full Version : Ohio dad gets jail for mocking girl with cerebral palsy

Rockntractor
11-28-2012, 03:31 PM
A northeast Ohio man accused of making fun of a young girl with cerebral palsy has been sentenced to a month in jail.

Canton Municipal Judge John A. Poulos ordered the maximum sentence for 43-year-old William Bailey, who pleaded no contest Tuesday to reduced misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and aggravated menacing.

The (Canton) Repository reports that Bailey was caught on cellphone video at a school bus stop in October making fun of how the 10-year-old disabled girl walks. The video of him seemingly imitating her limp was disseminated online and on local TV news. Bailey denied he was mocking the girl, saying he was reacting to name-calling directed at his 9-year-old son.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/28/ohio-dad-gets-jail-for-mocking-girl-with-cerebral-palsy/#ixzz2DY0C2J6c

Rockntractor
11-28-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure if direct action by the court should have happened here, this to me is another that should have been left to the court of public opinion like the girl in Arlington cemetery.

Wibbins
11-28-2012, 03:38 PM
We're raising a generation of wimps, bullying will always happen, kids will just not be taught how to deal with it instead of brushing off the meaningless words and immature actions.

FlaGator
11-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Violation of the ever changing political correctness code is becoming a jail-able offense I see.

noonwitch
11-28-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure if direct action by the court should have happened here, this to me is another that should have been left to the court of public opinion like the girl in Arlington cemetery.

Agreed. It's a waste of the court's time, money and jail space.

That said, what a jerk. His community should shun him like Hester Prynne. He's teaching his kid to be a cruel idiot.

Elspeth
11-28-2012, 04:34 PM
What the hell was the actual charge? While a nasty thing to do, the bus driver is protected by the First Amendment.

Edited to add charges:

Canton Municipal Judge John A. Poulos ordered the maximum sentence for 43-year-old William Bailey, who pleaded no contest Tuesday to reduced misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and aggravated menacing.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/28/ohio-dad-gets-jail-for-mocking-girl-with-cerebral-palsy/#ixzz2DYGI6GoR

I wonder what the original charges were. Is it now a felony to make fun of a kid with CP? (It's nasty and disgusting, yes, but a felony?) And what is "aggravated menacing"? That sounds like physically threatening someone, not making fun of them.

Novaheart
11-28-2012, 04:56 PM
In FLorida we have some special laws dealing with crimes against the handicapped. I have never read of it being invoked in a case like this. But it appears that it could be.

Florida Statute Section 825.102 - Abuse or Neglect of Disabled or Elderly Person
Under Florida law, the abuse of an disabled adult or elderly person is defined as willfully and knowingly either:
An intentional act that could reasonably be expected to result in psychological injury or physical injury to a disabled adult or elderly person;
the intentional infliction of psychological injury or physical injury upon a disabled adult or elderly person; or
an act that actively encourages any third person to commit an act that could resonably be expected to result in psychological or physical injury to a disabled adult or elderly person (or an act that does actually result in such injury).

Rockntractor
11-28-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't feel the least bit sorry for this person sitting in jail but I have to wonder what is next, arresting people for making video's that offend some?

Novaheart
11-28-2012, 05:10 PM
I don't feel the least bit sorry for this person sitting in jail but I have to wonder what is next, arresting people for making video's that offend some?

Seriously. Can I be arrested for mocking ragheads in Ohio?

Rockntractor
11-28-2012, 05:15 PM

In this current climate I would say yes, I think were right up there with Canada on political correctness being enforced by courts, who needs a law when you can bend and twist other laws to do things they were not intended for.

Generation Why?
11-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Bad waste of tax dollars.

Madisonian
11-28-2012, 07:33 PM

Probably not although I don't know that you would want to try it in Dearbornistan.

Odysseus
11-29-2012, 01:20 AM

And most likely beheaded.

We've gotten to the point where everything is litigated. My first thought when I read this was to wonder where the father of the child in question was. If an adult bullied my daughters, I have no doubt that I would be jailed for what I'd do to him, which is why so many bullies feel like they can get away with it.

Wibbins
11-29-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm currently waiting for the liberals in d.c to introduce a "hate speech" or "bullying" law that outlaws anything that hurts any feelings or is deemed hate speech by the leaders in dc, we all know they would love to make a law that bans "hate speech" while allowing them to determine what hate speech would be.

Bailey
11-29-2012, 01:11 PM

What would you feel like if someone made a film mocking queers?

noonwitch
11-29-2012, 02:09 PM

The police can arrest you for anything, any time. Whether they can hold you beyond their 72 hour window is a whole other matter. Whether they want to face a lawsuit for unlawful imprisonment a whole further matter, not that I would advise threatening to sue them during the arrest process.

The Michigan courts have ruled against the Dearborn police for arresting the troublemakers from Grand Rapids at the arab festival a few years ago. They have come back every year since winning their case, to tell the muslims that they are going to hell when they die. I don't think they've had a lot of conversions using that method, but then again, I'm pretty sure their goal is more getting attention for themselves than actually sharing the gospel of love and redemption with them.

NJCardFan
11-29-2012, 02:19 PM

This is the slippery slope we're heading down. As I keep saying, the reason why asshattery is at an all time high and has been growing to this for years is because we no longer have the ability t punch someone out. When I was growing up, if someone offended you or was "picking" on you, giving the offender a 2 piece and a biscuit (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=2%20piece%20and%20a%20biscuit) usually settled the issue. Even if you got your ass kicked in return, simply standing up for yourself got the bully off of your back because I don't care how tough you are, getting punched in the coconut every time you broke someone's bananas wasn't something people wanted on a daily basis so the bully would move on to a path of least resistance. But nowadays, if you even look at someone crosseyed, you can get sued and arrested. And now jail time for just being an asshole? I guess there aren't more deserving people for jail these days?

NJCardFan
11-29-2012, 02:22 PM

Why don't you go and find out, gutless.

Unreconstructed Reb
11-29-2012, 02:39 PM
This guy's jail time should have been for teaching his son to be a fucknut like he is.

Unreconstructed Reb
11-29-2012, 02:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfResyFrqlM

Starbuck
11-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Jerry Lewis mocked the disadvantaged for years by wearing funny teeth, talking funny, and staggering around. But no one took offense. Maybe he got away with it because he was a professional comedian, but it was still unfair.

No. I don't think anyone should go to jail because of it.