PDA

View Full Version : Mccain Ads Pulled Today At 5pm

mourningdove
09-24-2008, 10:00 PM
MCCAIN ADS PULLED TODAY AT 5PM
From NBC's Carrie Dann
Virginia-based firm Smart Media, which conducts media buying around the country for the McCain campaign, sent out this urgent memo this afternoon addressed to "All National Managers."

RE: Suspend all McCain for President Advertising
"As you are aware, the John McCain for President Campaign has suspended all campaigning to address the current national financial crisis. Effective 5pm today, September 24th, 2008, all advertising for the McCain for President Campaign must cease. Please notify your stations immediately."

A West coast media buying executive not working with the McCain camp tells NBC News that pulling ads isn't quite as easy as sending out such a directive. "Stations are telling me it can't happen," says the exec. "The campaign knows that it can't happen." That's because computer logs with already-scheduled ad placements may already be locked in.

The ad buyer adds that stations will likely have problems trying to stop ads from running tonight, and some may not be able to get off the air by tomorrow.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/24/1443815.aspx

Ok, so he is "suspending" his campaign so he can go back to Washington and do his job as Senator. Good for him. Obama should go too. Although the whold "suspend the campaing" thing seems a bit overdone. We have a crisis going on, our Senators need to be in Washington. So cancel some appearances and debates and stuff like that, but the terminology of suspending the campaign is just weird.

But not as weird as this. Why would he pull his ads just because he is going back to Washington for a bit? Look, I'm not a McCain supporter. I'm still in mourning over Hillary's loss. But this just makes no sense to me and I thought maybe those of you here might be able to 'splain it to me.

Eyelids
09-25-2008, 01:40 AM
This just does not make sense, its one thing to cancel campaign appearances but to stop advertising? Why?

AmPat
09-25-2008, 02:02 AM
This just does not make sense, its one thing to cancel campaign appearances but to stop advertising? Why?

Logistically and financially it would be possible to continue ads while performing as a Senator. Professionally speaking, John McCain does not want to taint his Senatorial decisions regarding the National emergency by politicizing them.

Eyelids
09-25-2008, 02:09 AM
Logistically and financially it would be possible to continue ads while performing as a Senator. Professionally speaking, John McCain does not want to taint his Senatorial decisions regarding the National emergency by politicizing them.

How many Senators running for reelection run ads while in office? Almost all of them.

Zathras
09-25-2008, 02:35 AM
How many Senators running for reelection run ads while in office? Almost all of them.

How many senators running for President in 2008 suspend their campaigns to actually do the job they were elected for....1.

Sonnabend
09-25-2008, 04:33 AM

Because he has more important concerns, because he said he was suspending his campaign, because part of that campaign are ads..and because John McCain is putting his country first.

Something that snivelling communist Obama can learn from, if he ever unjams his head from his ass long enough.

McCain is doing what a good President should do. Attend to the greater good...even if it costs him the election

My respect for this man just increased a hundredfold.

Siddown, shut the fuck up and learn, Eyecysts.

AmPat
09-25-2008, 06:37 AM

Uh-Bama said "we should not politicize this financial crises and we must all come together for the good of the country." He then refused to meet Senator McCain's proposal to suspend his campaign.

Now McCain walks the talk while Uh-Bama merely speaks platitudes and spews rhetoric. Apparently Uh-Bama's advice is meant for everyone but himself.:cool:

Chuck58
09-25-2008, 12:00 PM
I think it's a great idea for two reasons. First, as is said, he was elected to serve the people and nation and his presence in DC during this crisis shows he's putting the country first. If obamessiah continues, it makes him look detached from it all which I hope happens. That'll make him look like what he is, a self centered opportunist whose only aim is to gain the White House and country be damned.

Second, I think quite a few Americans will be delighted NOT to see campaign ads one after the other all day and night on local TV. Thank God for cable. I only use the local stations for local news.

LogansPapa
09-25-2008, 12:05 PM
McCain is doing what a good President should do. Attend to the greater good...even if it costs him the election.

+1 (it's a brilliant move)

Eyelids
09-25-2008, 01:55 PM
+1 (it's a brilliant move)

It's not going over well with the public.

LogansPapa
09-25-2008, 01:58 PM
It's not going over well with the public.

Actually, with those that count (Middle America) and turn out by the millions, itís a grand slam. Something about those wholesome family values.

asdf2231
09-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Actually, with those that count (Middle America) and turn out by the millions, itís a grand slam. Something about those wholesome family values.

Bingo.

There is a 15-18% swing vote with the "Undecideds" right now.

You nailed it with this post. :)

Teetop
09-25-2008, 03:53 PM

That post left a mark on eyeshit. :D

LogansPapa
09-25-2008, 03:54 PM
That post left a mark on eyeshit. :D

Sorry. :o Can't help it if it's the truth.

Eyelids
09-25-2008, 04:05 PM

So the people who are voting for McCain already love it, that's great I hope it makes them feel good. But in places like MI, PA, VA and CO its not going over well at all.

Sonnabend
09-25-2008, 05:13 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/funny-pictures-your-cat-is-not-really-interested-in-what-you-are-saying.jpg

Eyelids
09-25-2008, 05:21 PM
According to a list of attendees circulating for today's White House meeting, McCain is bringing a campaign aide, while Obama's bringing a Senate staffer.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Staffing_the_White_House_meeting.html?showall

Obviously this wasn't a poltiical stunt right? :rolleyes:

Zathras
09-25-2008, 05:29 PM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Staffing_the_White_House_meeting.html?showall

Obviously this wasn't a poltiical stunt right? :rolleyes:

Guess you don't know (as usual) who McCain's economic advisor is. Douglas Holtz-Eakin is a former director of The Congressional Budget Office and is an excellent person to be present in advising McCain. Obama is bringing another lawyer to the meeting. Rather have someone who knows what's going on than yet another lawyer.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/paulrae_2005/dairy-fail.jpg

Lager
09-25-2008, 05:41 PM

Now how does this have anything to do with those "family values" that you look upon with disdain so very often? Or did you just drag it into the conversation one more time in case we were in doubt about what you thought about them?

LogansPapa
09-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Now how does this have anything to do with those "family values" that you look upon with disdain so very often?

Examples please? :confused:

Lager
09-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Perhaps I'm confusing you with cw, lids and wilbur. You all look so alike these days.

LogansPapa
09-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Perhaps I'm confusing you with cw, lids and wilbur. You all look so alike these days.

Yeah, thatís what I thought.

Iím not just any Liberal asshole - Iím The Liberal Asshole around here. Oh wait, that didnít come out right.

Nevermind. :cool:

Goldwater
09-25-2008, 08:50 PM

Because then people can't accuse him of not actually suspending his campaign.

The McCain strategists have balls, and they've discovered they can't win the election without taking some risks, the first of which was Sarah Palin.

Eyelids
09-26-2008, 03:35 AM
Because then people can't accuse him of not actually suspending his campaign.

The McCain strategists have balls, and they've discovered they can't win the election without taking some risks, the first of which was Sarah Palin.

Am I supposed to pleasantly ignore the campaign stops (CBS news with Katie Couric), constant posturing (countless McCain surrogates telling me how great he is) and continued direct involvement with his campaign (bringing a campaign advisor with you to Washington instead of a Senate aide like Obama)?

McCain has only cancelled what is convenient to him and exploited this bullshit stunt to get as much press as he possibly can. Too bad 73% of independents and 77% of moderates think he should show up at the debate. Just like Palin this risk has crashed and burned into a laughing stock, if a Democrat pulled any of these stunts you guys would be up in arms.

Goldwater
09-26-2008, 06:30 AM
Am I supposed to pleasantly ignore the campaign stops (CBS news with Katie Couric), constant posturing (countless McCain surrogates telling me how great he is) and continued direct involvement with his campaign (bringing a campaign advisor with you to Washington instead of a Senate aide like Obama)?

McCain has only cancelled what is convenient to him and exploited this bullshit stunt to get as much press as he possibly can. Too bad 73% of independents and 77% of moderates think he should show up at the debate. Just like Palin this risk has crashed and burned into a laughing stock, if a Democrat pulled any of these stunts you guys would be up in arms.

It doesn't matter what you think, you're not going to vote McCain, there are some people who might because of this, and he is making a play to the independants.

This is how you win, Obama isn't running against Hillary anymore, he needs to step up his game.

GrumpyOldLady
09-26-2008, 06:35 AM
I still saw an add last night.

I don't think it was put out by McCain, but it had his approval on it.

Does that count?