PDA

View Full Version : Survey: Detroit Most Dangerous U.S. City For Gays

Rockntractor
12-06-2012, 11:07 PM
DETROIT (CBS Detroit) - A local LGBT rights group is taking issue with a new survey that ranks Detroit as “the most dangerous U.S. city to visit for gay travelers.”

The company behind the survey, Alternative Luxury Travel by Bruvion, caters to upscale travelers ”looking for life-enriching and memorable travel experiences.”

It describes Detroit as having “a slumping economy, increase in crime, high number of landmark gay bars closing and a severe lack of smart accommodations.”

Dave Garca, Executive Director of Affirmations LGBT community center in Ferndale, he’d be happy to give the folks at Alternative Luxury Travel a tour of metro Detroit for a first hand look at the many positive, secure venues for gays.

“The city of Detroit itself and the metropolitan area at large has many safe, exciting, and fun venues for the LGBT community,” Garcia said. “From Ferndale to Royal Oak to many downtown destinations like the FOX, The Detroit Opera House and sports venues. Like any city, Detroit has some areas that are safer than others.”

So, why does Detroit have a bad rap when it comes to gays?
Read More>http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/12/05/survey-detroit-most-dangerous-u-s-city-for-gays/
I thought Michigan was a progressive utopia, I assumed they bend over backwards for queers.

ReinMan
12-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Believe it or not, if it weren't for the fact the the UAW and all the supplier's union workforces march like zombies to Dem drumbeat, I'd bet SE Michigan and NW Ohio would be staunchly Republican.

Most of the auto workers I know (and I know hundreds, personally) are pro-Second Amendment, pro-military and very supportive of veterans and veterans' causes, and by and large, have a traditional sense of values, including a disdain for homosexuality.

That said, Detroit's dangerous for anyone who strays into 'no-man's-land', not just gays.

True story: Got a flat tire on I-94, pulled off the freeway to change the tire. I was on my way to an assembly plant on Jefferson Ave (BAD part of town...), to do some robot programming for the customer, one of the Detroit three. My co-worker (who happens to be black) was already there, so I called him to tell him I would be delayed.

Me: Dude, got a flat, I'll be at least 20 minutes late.

Him: Where you at?

Me: Close. Got off the freeway at Gratiot.

Him: Did you go south or north?

Me: South. Why?

Him: Stupid honkey! Get your cracker ass back on the freeway!

Zathras
12-07-2012, 02:18 AM
I think the headline could have read “the most dangerous U.S. city to visit for __________________.” and it would be accurate.

noonwitch
12-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Believe it or not, if it weren't for the fact the the UAW and all the supplier's union workforces march like zombies to Dem drumbeat, I'd bet SE Michigan and NW Ohio would be staunchly Republican.

Most of the auto workers I know (and I know hundreds, personally) are pro-Second Amendment, pro-military and very supportive of veterans and veterans' causes, and by and large, have a traditional sense of values, including a disdain for homosexuality.

That said, Detroit's dangerous for anyone who strays into 'no-man's-land', not just gays.

True story: Got a flat tire on I-94, pulled off the freeway to change the tire. I was on my way to an assembly plant on Jefferson Ave (BAD part of town...), to do some robot programming for the customer, one of the Detroit three. My co-worker (who happens to be black) was already there, so I called him to tell him I would be delayed.

Me: Dude, got a flat, I'll be at least 20 minutes late.

Him: Where you at?

Me: Close. Got off the freeway at Gratiot.

Him: Did you go south or north?

Me: South. Why?

Him: Stupid honkey! Get your cracker ass back on the freeway!

LOL.

Going south on Gratiot from I-94 takes you a few miles out of your way. You should have gone two more exits down and got off at Conner. It's a little safer and more heavily traveled, you probably could have fixed your tire in the parking lot at WC Community College. CVS has courtesy vans that patrol the freeways, and they will help with a flat, if you are on the side of the road. So will M-Dot workers, although that just might be for women who stand next to the car and look all hopeless.

I have to go to that part of town frequently, if you stick to the main streets and avoid the neighborhoods nearby, you should be okay. Although, the abandoned ice cream place with the huge cow's head roof that Eminem and his buddies drove by in "8 Mile" is just around the corner, on Mack AVE, if you have any interest in seeing it.

I think the Detroit suburbs are perfectly safe for gay people. Ferndale and Royal Oak are particularly gay-friendly, and have many businesses, restaurants and bars that cater to gay customers. Same with Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo, Lansing, and even Grand Rapids.

There have been some pretty nasty attacks on gay men in Detroit over the past few years. I think it's safer for me as an unarmed white woman on the streets of Detroit than it is for an openly gay black man, unless he's city council president or something.

Unreconstructed Reb
12-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Let's all chip in and give Novahart an early Christmas present: an all expenses paid 5 day trip for two to beautiful downtown Detroit, Michigan!

Rockntractor
12-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Let's all chip in and give Novahart an early Christmas present: an all expenses paid 5 day trip for two to beautiful downtown Detroit, Michigan!

He would have to wear this!
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/bombsuit.jpg

Rockntractor
12-07-2012, 10:45 AM
He would have to wear this!
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/bombsuit.jpg
or maybe this
http://www.nightmarefactory.com/FM54270.jpg

noonwitch
12-07-2012, 12:23 PM
or maybe this
http://www.nightmarefactory.com/FM54270.jpg

He could wear that in my old neighborhood-all of the decent gay and straight people moved out and all that's left are drag queen prostitutes, junkies and crackheads.

If Nova is prettier than they are, they will cut him, though.

Artois
12-07-2012, 09:46 PM
LOL.

Going south on Gratiot from I-94 takes you a few miles out of your way. You should have gone two more exits down and got off at Conner. It's a little safer and more heavily traveled, you probably could have fixed your tire in the parking lot at WC Community College. CVS has courtesy vans that patrol the freeways, and they will help with a flat, if you are on the side of the road.

I have to go to that part of town frequently, if you stick to the main streets and avoid the neighborhoods nearby, you should be okay.

There have been some pretty nasty attacks on gay men in Detroit over the past few years. I think it's safer for me as an unarmed white woman on the streets of Detroit than it is for an openly gay black man, unless he's city council president or something.

Noonwitch is spot on, that's really not that rough of an area. Of course, its always fun to mess with the white cracker who acts like he's afraid of his shadow! JK ;)

Yeah, Detroit it's self IS rather rabidly anti-gay. Metro-Detroit, particularly Ferndale and Royal Oak are completely different though. Hell, I'd even partially credit the lesbians for turning Ferndale around to the rather vibrant city it is today. There's been a lot of spectacular bushings and killings of gay men (particularly black) in Detroit, with even some of the major ghetto radio stations encouraging it.

CueSi
12-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Good thing Nova loves him some 2nd amendment.

http://www.glockforum.com/images/1/0/8/9/6/duracoat-35.jpg

Bullets still come out of this and kill people too.

~QC

Novaheart
12-07-2012, 11:19 PM

I've already been to Atlanta this year.

Novaheart
12-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Good thing Nova loves him some 2nd amendment.

http://www.glockforum.com/images/1/0/8/9/6/duracoat-35.jpg

Bullets still come out of this and kill people too.

~QC

That's adorable. But it would look better in the top of an Oleg Cassini seamed stocking with your leg peaking out between the frilly garters.