PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Foods for your pet



SaintLouieWoman
12-11-2012, 08:47 AM
I've seen this before, and it kept me from making a potentially bad mistake. We love the huge Florida avacados here, and I was about to buy a tree to plant in the yard. After reading this article, decided to not take the chance. There are a few others that aren't widely known. I'm sure everyone knows not to give chocolate to dogs, but noticed that caffeine is also bad. Darlene sometimes sticks her pointy little nose into SR's coffee cup. So far she's been good, but we need to not let her have that little slurp of coffee (after he's finished with most of it.)

http://www.everydayhealth.com/pet-health/dangerous-foods-for-your-pet.aspx



Toxic and Dangerous Foods for Pets

Do you know which foods and beverages might be harmful to your pets – and what to do if your pet ingests something toxic?


By Elizabeth Mason Woods for WebVet (http://webvet.com/)
Reviewed by Amy I. Attas, VMD




Poison is a growing concern among pet (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/pet-health.aspx)owners. Household poisons are not the only thing that can harm your pets. Many common household foods and drugs can also be toxic to your pets. The following are foods that can be toxic or poisonous to your pets.

Avocados. Avocados contain a toxin known as persin. Persin is found in various parts of the avocado and avocado trees (eg, leaves, rind, etc). This toxin is known mostly to cause vomiting and diarrhea. Birds and small pets seem most affected by the negative side effects of consuming avocado.

Beer. Not just beer ... all alcohol. Depending on how much alcohol your animal ingests, it can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, depression (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#), difficulty breathing, coma, and possible death (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/pet-health/loss-of-pet.aspx).

Chocolate. Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine that is toxic to pets. If enough is ingested, your animal can suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and possible death. Cocoa mulch contains theobromine; the ASPCA advises dog owners to avoid using this fertilizer around unsupervised dogs (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/pet-health/before-getting-a-dog.aspx), and dogs with indiscriminate eating habits since it can be toxic if ingested.

Candy. Chocolate is the most common candy that is toxic to pets, especially to dogs, cats, and ferrets. Any candy containing the sweetener xylitol can also be toxic to pets.

Caffeine. Caffeine is generally highly toxic to pets, having negative effects on both the cardiac and nervous systems. Side effects can include vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and possible death.

Grapes and raisins. An unknown toxin in grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure and ultimately lead to death. Symptoms of this poisoning can include hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, and irregular heartbeat (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#).

Nuts. An unknown toxin in nuts can have negative effects on the nervous, digestive, and muscular systems of your pet. Symptoms can include muscle tremors, weakness, an upset stomach, vomiting, depression, inactivity, and stiffness. Particularly avoid Macadamia nuts.

Onions. Onions, along with garlic and chives, are all part of the same species of plant — the Allium species. Allium species plants contain sulfur compounds that can cause stomach irritation and possibly result in damage to red blood cells causing anemia. This is referred to as Allium poisoning
.
Some human medicines. While some human medications are prescribed for pets by veterinarians (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/pet-health/veterinary-bills.aspx), others can be highly toxic and fatal. Acetaminophen, which is contained in Tylenol and other similar products, for example, can be fatal to cats. Always consult with your veterinarian before giving human medication to a pet.

Xylitol (artificial sugar). Xylitol is a sweetener used in many products including mouthwash, chewing gum, toothpaste, and various foods. Because it is toxic to pets, products containing xylitol should not be given to your dog or cat.

Lily Plants. All portions of the lily plant are poisonous to cats when ingested. Just a nibble of the leaf, petal, or stem can cause irreversible kidney failure despite extensive medical treatment.

Other foods that can be toxic to your pet:

Apple Seeds
Chives (see "onions," above)
Fruit pits, especially those of apricots, peaches, plums, nectarines, and cherries
Garlic (see "onions" above)
Moldy foods
Mustard seeds
Potato leaves and stems
Rhubarb leaves
Salt
Tea
Tomato leaves and stems

Toxic Household Items

Antifreeze
Liquid potpourri
Polyurethane glue
Pennies
Pine-oil cleaners

A study by the pet health insurance (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/#) company VPI found that these were the top 10 foods and plants involved in pet poisoning claims:

Raisins/Grapes
Mushrooms
Marijuana
Lily flowers
Walnuts
Onion
Sago Palm
Macadamia nuts
Azalea flowers
Hydrangea flowers

Molon Labe
12-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Great SLW

My baby Chihuaha got into some sugar free gum several months back and gave us a scare. We had to take him to the Vet and leave him there by himself overnight. We have his brother and they had never been apart. But he ended up being OK. Xylitol is one of the most severe food poison risks for a dog. Be very careful with that one.

ABC in Georgia
12-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Just in case any first time pet owners in here ...

Christmas Plants Toxic To Pets

Common Christmas plants like the poinsettia, mistletoe, and holly may be toxic to dogs and cats.

Read more here: http://suite101.com/article/christmas-plants-toxic-to-pets-a10644

Rockntractor
12-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Never feed your dogs live cats unless they have been declawed first.

marv
12-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Never feed your dogs live cats unless they have been declawed first.

:biggrin-new:

Eupher
12-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Apple seeds are on the list, but there's no explanation as to why.

They contain very, very trace amounts of cyanide. Not a good idea to give to an animal.

SaintLouieWoman
12-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Never feed your dogs live cats unless they have been declawed first.

We took Bella and Darlene to the vet yesterday. A woman had her pedigreed cat in one of those carriers. Neither of our greys is cat safe. They were VERY interested in the kitty. I wish that we had brought the camera with us. We could have gotten cute pics, with them looking very attentive, ears perked up. LOL.

Hawkgirl
12-11-2012, 09:35 PM
We took Bella and Darlene to the vet yesterday. A woman had her pedigreed cat in one of those carriers. Neither of our greys is cat safe. They were VERY interested in the kitty. I wish that we had brought the camera with us. We could have gotten cute pics, with them looking very attentive, ears perked up. LOL.


Oh sure, spooking cats for entertainments sakes!:evil-grin: